The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Fans over-rate the club they support?

+8
Beer
Smirnoffpriest
asdral225
sodhat
super_realist
JDandfries
fantantonio
d260005p
12 posters

Go down

Which Fans over-rate the club they support? Empty Which Fans over-rate the club they support?

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

My view is that its Liverpool. And thats including the players ie. Gerard and Carragher who seem to come out each year and say they are the best in the world and they will win a cup along with the league. Quite frustrating club to be honest. 2nd has to be Chelsea. Who were they before they become minted? Just another top 6 club such as Spurs. Now they expect EVERYTHING. My fav club fans/clubs have to be Stoke City and Tottenham. Stoke for their fans and support and decent manager, and Tottenham because of Harry Redknapp and the general quality they posess.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Which Fans over-rate the club they support? Empty Re: Which Fans over-rate the club they support?

Post by fantantonio Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

The Old Firm supporters come out with quotes such as 'If Rangers or Celtic were in the EPL they would win the league within three years'. Not only is that over-rating it is plain delusional.

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Which Fans over-rate the club they support? Empty Re: Which Fans over-rate the club they support?

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

West Ham and Liverpool and maybe Spurs.

West Ham - All this 'we won the world cup' and Academy of Football nonsense.

Liverpool - living on past glories, huge chips on their shoulders, unable to think coherently and blind in their support or hatred for whoever.

Spurs - a Big club with a small club mentality

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

JDandfries wrote:West Ham and Liverpool and maybe Spurs.

Liverpool - living on past glories, huge chips on their shoulders, unable to think coherently and blind in their support or hatred for whoever.

Your right there. Never thought about Spurs that way. Fair comment. And i defo agree with the SPL comment above yours. They are pure dilusional.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

fantantonio wrote:The Old Firm supporters come out with quotes such as 'If Rangers or Celtic were in the EPL they would win the league within three years'. Not only is that over-rating it is plain delusional.

It is not a completely ludicrus statement.

Both clubs have support that is unrivaled in England (aside from Man U and Liverpool) and both have big stadiums and a 'famous' history. To see them challenging is not as unlikely as you might think - certainly more likely than Spurs winning anything in the near future

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm

JDandfries wrote:
fantantonio wrote:The Old Firm supporters come out with quotes such as 'If Rangers or Celtic were in the EPL they would win the league within three years'. Not only is that over-rating it is plain delusional.

It is not a completely ludicrus statement.

Both clubs have support that is unrivaled in England (aside from Man U and Liverpool) and both have big stadiums and a 'famous' history. To see them challenging is not as unlikely as you might think - certainly more likely than Spurs winning anything in the near future

Any club whos fans believe history entitles them to success, because they have had success before it does not entitle you to more success

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:29 pm

Just means they are a big club, Only Liverpool fans think past glories mean you are guarenteed success.

Rangers and Celtic are huge clubs, if given the same backing as the PL clubs get, they would challenge!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

I disagree, there are simply too many teams in England with the financial clout which would blow Celtic and Rangers out of the water. In any event I don't think they could sustain a place in the Premier League long enough to gain the financial benefits, certainly judging by their current form.

In England Liverpool have the most deluded fans, not only that, they are completely useless at taking criticism despite loving giving it out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

No way man! I think Rangers and Celtic are rudey poo! They are big teams with a big stadium and big following through Scotland and Ireland, but i dont think they would cut it in the Premiership. Mid table at best.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

d260005p wrote:No way man! I think Rangers and Celtic are rudey poo! They are big teams with a big stadium and big following through Scotland and Ireland, but i dont think they would cut it in the Premiership. Mid table at best.

This is a completely lazy comment. Of course the current Celtic and Rangers teams would probably struggle in the English Premier League but lets say for arguments sake they were to enter our league then they would be able to attract a better quality of player therefor enabling them to compete.

I'd say only Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal are bigger clubs in essence than the Old Firm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

super_realist wrote:I disagree, there are simply too many teams in England with the financial clout which would blow Celtic and Rangers out of the water. In any event I don't think they could sustain a place in the Premier League long enough to gain the financial benefits, certainly judging by their current form.

In England Liverpool have the most deluded fans, not only that, they are completely useless at taking criticism despite loving giving it out.

Well I must be in the minority then because I can take whatever criticism is thrown at my club (Liverpool) IF it is justified. With Kenny having spent over 100 million in his short tenure so far I don't find it unreasonable to expect a good crack at all three domestic trophies though personally I'd be happy with a Champions League spot which would signal progress.

Alot of the mud thrown at Liverpool fans tends to (In my experience) come from Man Utd fans for some bizzare reason but we want to be where Utd are now..take it as a compliment! I used to be a bit like that but then I turned 12 and grew out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 27 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

JDandfries wrote:West Ham and Liverpool and maybe Spurs.

I think you have the big club/small club the wrong way round with Spurs! Very Happy

I also disagree with the West Ham comments, but I am biased. I don't think many fans still see us on a pedestal like that, and frankly the ones I know and meet are realistic, verging on pessimistic, having learned over an extended time to expect nothing of the club.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 6:32 pm

I'd have to agree with Liverpool and Spurs,
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

It has to be Newcastle - all this we're one of the Biggest clubs in England and only want to sign big players with over priced price tags and lots of baggage.

Then they get relegated (or nearly so) every year coz the club has spent all it's money on 2 over priced, over the hill flashy attackers to keep the fans happy and can't afford a decent defence.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:It has to be Newcastle - all this we're one of the Biggest clubs in England and only want to sign big players with over priced price tags and lots of baggage.

Then they get relegated (or nearly so) every year coz the club has spent all it's money on 2 over priced, over the hill flashy attackers to keep the fans happy and can't afford a decent defence.

Nearly get relegated every year? You talk complete and utter pish mate.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

Are you sure you haven't based your opinion on a couple of muppets that Sky seem to hand pick for telly?

No Newcastle fan I know still thinks that we are up there with the top teams at the minute, but it terms of stadia, attendance and culture then Newcastleis a big city for football. The second part of your claim is ridiculous and hasn't been right since the relegation season.

Up until the last 5 minutes of the last game of the season- we were on for a top ten finish.

Will let you off seeing as you haven't got a lot going for you, being Welsh and an Arsenal supporter Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

I said they'd been involved in relegation battles not relegated every year - and at the very least they haven't been anywhere near the top for a VERY long time.

Any if you haven't heard of Newcastle being called a top team where have you been? Almost everytime you hear about them, there's a mention of them being a huge team, and some people go on to say they are a huge team who should really be competing at the top. Based on what evidence I don't know.

I generally class teams as big on performance and the players they can attract - not almost bankrupting themselves buying half decent S Americans like Sheppard used to do.

And I'd much rather be in Arsenals situation than Newcastles now.

Apologies just re-read my post and it should have read "got relegated and are usually in a relegation battle (or nearly so)" except obviously last season when they had a high season of almost finishing in the top 10

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

You clearly know nothing about Newcastle, or it's fans.

As Churchill said, speak to any normal fan and they will tell you we expect very little. it's the deluded muppets that Sky hook in that give us the bad rep.

We've only ever been in a relegation battle once, the season we went down. The season before that we finished 12th and that was with all the manager trouble. The season before that was Europe, the season before that was 7th and then the 4 years previous to that was Champs League football.

So what on earth are you talking about?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

Surely it's only 10 years since Newcastle were still classed as one of the best teams in the country?

You say there's a mention of us being a big team; most media outlets I read talk about how we used to be one of the top teams. Note that they talk about it in past tense. Who's the 'some people' you mention that say we should be competing at the top? Most fans would be delighted with a top ten finish this season.

Again, as KB already corrected you, before the relegation season we'd never been in a serious relegation battle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

Well from the last season you had CL football you finished 14th, 7th, 13th, 12th and then got relegated and then 12th when you came back up, and a few of those seasons you were down around the relegation zones for a while during the season.

And I'm just going on what I have access to i.e the press reports, the tv punditry and things like players bought, managers comments and things like that - which is what I imagine most people have to go on with the majority of clubs.

There are realistic fans with most clubs who know where their club truely is, but if it's Sky (and ITV who seem to follow Sky's lead) who've given you an unfair image then I apologies for being mislead - but all I can go by is press reports until I hear better.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Churchill - I think that's my problem because it's been at least 10 years since you've been a big club, but a lot of discussions I've heard has been more like Newcastle ARE a big club and it's a shame their on their knees now, they deserve to be back to where they were 10 years ago.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

I wouldn't count that as a relegation battle- I'd count a relegation battle being constantly in the bottom 5 for 30+ of the 38 league games.

Most TV pundits speak out of their bum anyway, only a few that I've seen/heard seem to speak sense on footballing matters. The topic is about which fans over rate their club, not which media sources choose to always talk about history to make current achievements seem tiny.

Don't agee with being 'on our knees' either. Last season we should have turned over a profit and have got a good core of a team that can push for a top ten finish. If that's a club that is on their knees then I'd hate to think what you think about clubs that are in worse situations than ourselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

Ranger's and Celtic for me, especially Celtic. They accuse Liverpool of living off past glories but yet they still bang on about a European cup they won in the 60's. They also play in one of the worst league's in Europe and claim all sort's of glory when they win their p*ss pot league.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm

I count being in a relegation battle as sitting in the bottom 5/6 with a few points away from the bottom 3 for sustained periods of the season. Also by the comment 'on your knees' I meant the fact that you were over spending for a number of seasons and were deep in the red and unable to continue in the same way.

Now that Ashley has come in and got rid of a lot of the high earners and has made the club more sustainable the club has a much better outlook financially.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:Ranger's and Celtic for me, especially Celtic. They accuse Liverpool of living off past glories but yet they still bang on about a European cup they won in the 60's. They also play in one of the worst league's in Europe and claim all sort's of glory when they win their p*ss pot league.

Agreed, Ranger's are especially bad at banging on about winning a "world record" 50 odd league titles.
It hardly matters when the league is of the standard it is. I doubt the likes of Ajax, Madrid, Milan and Liverpool would trade their European Cups for that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:05 pm

Aston Villa and most recentley Birmingham.

Villa because they insist they are a big club.

Birmingham because it seemingly impossible for them to realise that one trophy does not make you a big club, or better than everyone else.Some posts on their forums are ridiculous,such as saying Albion couldn't afford any of their players even though both Foster and Ridgewell look like they are on their way in!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

10/11 - 7pts above drop - 12th
09/10 - Promoted to Premiership - 1st
08/09 - Relegated to Championship - 18th
07/08 - 7pts above drop - 12th
06/07 - 8pts above drop - 12th
05/06 - 24pts above drop - 7th
04/05 - 11pts above drop - 14th (Also the season of our longest UEFA Cup run)

For most of those seasons we didn't spend the majority of our times in the bottom 5 and, as you can see, were never really that close to being relegated (apart from the season we went down).

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

NEWCASTLE, SPURS AND VILLA. BIG TIME

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Marsh Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

I agree with Newcastle, a big club in terms of the fans/ground etc but not with the team and ownership currently in regime

Also I'd throw in Notts Forest their fans seem to be stuck with the belief they should still be challenging for European trophies, exemplified by a conversation I heard after watching them beat North End which involved two blokes (completely seriously) discussing 10 successive wins which would sneak them into the play offs, 'where they belonged'. They were about 18th at the time

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 04 Jun 2021, 10:59 pm

Marsh wrote:I agree with Newcastle, a big club in terms of the fans/ground etc but not with the team and ownership currently in regime

Also I'd throw in Notts Forest their fans seem to be stuck with the belief they should still be challenging for European trophies, exemplified by a conversation I heard after watching them beat North End which involved two blokes (completely seriously) discussing 10 successive wins which would sneak them into the play offs, 'where they belonged'. They were about 18th at the time

Twice European champions, how many English clubs can say that?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down