What Are You Currently Reading?

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:28 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brookes, just because we should be ready Very Happy

Laugh

Am reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, you can tell Oscar is gay just from the first 10 pages, as there are long descriptions on how beautiful (or not) all the main male characters are, and an observation saying women can't judge the beauty of a man, only another man can see it.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brookes, just because we should be ready Very Happy

World War Z is good as well, makes you think it may already be happening...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy on Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

Currently reading The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly. Enjoying it thus far, an old friend of Parker's makes an unwelcome return, while Angel and Louis been more prominent than the previous book. Only about half way through now, but it feels like a return to the Parker books of old.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

Just finished GENTLEMEN & PLAYERS by JOANNE HARRIS.

Normally not a fan of Joanne's books, but this was very good. Loosely based around a school, it is told from 2 people's perspectives, while interwoven is the back story of how we have got to this point. With a little intrigue, a good story, a couple of surprises ( 1 Biggish one), and a couple of twists there's enough to keep you going, all told at just the correct pace ( not to slow, not to fast), a thoroughly good read.

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicey Reilly on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

Just finished The Children of Húrin by JRR Tolkien, it felt more as an historical book than a novel but a brilliant story non the less and very tragic but now im on a Tolkien buzz so I went out and bought the Silmarillion Very Happy

Dicey Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:19 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:Just finished The Children of Húrin by JRR Tolkien, it felt more as an historical book than a novel but a brilliant story non the less and very tragic but now im on a Tolkien buzz so I went out and bought the Silmarillion Very Happy

I like what the Silmarillion is about, and how detailed it is about how the world was created, and the myths and legends of the world - but the way Tolkien writes is just too awkward for me to really enjoy it (or the LOTRs series)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicey Reilly on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:28 pm

Its real old way of writing and speaking but if you soldier through they are worth it, the first LotR's book was a tough read

Dicey Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:43 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:Its real old way of writing and speaking but if you soldier through they are worth it, the first LotR's book was a tough read

yeah I found the Hobbit ok but had lots of unnecessary singing and poetry, and I soldiered on through the books because I liked the story and films so much, but gave up a quarter of a way through the Return of the King as I finally admitted I hadn't been enjoying them since the start of the Two Towers and was just stubbornly plodding on.

I don't mind old writting (except Shakespeare - god he almost destroyed my love of books) and quite enjoy HG Wells and Dorian Gray which are from that time, and Alice in Wonderland - but I just find Tolkien cumbersome. But it's just my personal POV and lots and lots of people love him and his books.

(I do find it incredible the level of detail he went in to to create the worlds, with maps, languages, different races, religions, myths, legends and gods/demi gods as well as all the characters and songs)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicey Reilly on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:07 pm

To some people they read LotR just to say they read LotR lol, The Hobbit is a Childrens book so thats why its easier to read (One of my favourite books btw)

(He created it all to give England a mythology he said, because there is none)

Dicey Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:To some people they read LotR just to say they read LotR lol, The Hobbit is a Childrens book so thats why its easier to read (One of my favourite books btw)

(He created it all to give England a mythology he said, because there is none)

Yeah I know the Hobbit is a kids book, but then so is LOTRs (just more advanced/older kids), and it's still one of the most difficult kids books I've read, a lot more difficult than many adult books I've read.

I know what you mean, there's a lot of people who tackle War and Peace for the same reason. I read it becoz I loved the stories and characters from the film so much, and wanted to find out more about them and the settings to enhance my love of the LOTRs world - but felt it did the opposite.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicey Reilly on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

Yeah I know the Hobbit is a kids book, but then so is LOTRs (just more advanced/older kids), and it's still one of the most difficult kids books I've read, a lot more difficult than many adult books I've read.

I wouldn't class them as kids (advanced kids) books at all, the hobbit yes as he wrote it for his kids but he wrote LotR and The Silmarillion together and wanted them all to be released together as an epic

I know what you mean, there's a lot of people who tackle War and Peace for the same reason. I read it becoz I loved the stories and characters from the film so much, and wanted to find out more about them and the settings to enhance my love of the LOTRs world - but felt it did the opposite

I read them after seeing the films and it made me not want to look at the films again because alot was left out and I know id be sitting there saying "thats not what happens in the books" and my wife would kill me Smile but one thing the books made me do was actually like the Frodo/Sam relationship as its less homoerotic in the books

Dicey Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

I don't think they are kids books, or that suitable for kids - but that's who Tolkien aimed them at when he wrote them.

[quote="Dicey Reilly"]
I read them after seeing the films and it made me not want to look at the films again because alot was left out and I know id be sitting there saying "thats not what happens in the books" and my wife would kill me Smile but one thing the books made me do was actually like the Frodo/Sam relationship as its less homoerotic in the books

Yeah I was the opposite, loved the films and read the books to get more out of it, and then never wanted to read the books again as didn't feel they were particularly well written (I know that's controversial), and didn't give me much enjoyment - though I do agree the Frodo/Sam relationship is quite homoerotic in the films.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicey Reilly on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

I don't think they are kids books, or that suitable for kids - but that's who Tolkien aimed them at when he wrote them.

Didn't know that but damn what kinda kids did he know Laugh

Dicey Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:

Lol tell me about it - the same is true of Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll apparently read them to his kids (or his friends kids can't remember which) and used to make up stories to tell them that are then used in the books - must have been really messed up kids that's all I can say...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:50 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Dicey Reilly wrote:

Lol tell me about it - the same is true of Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll apparently read them to his kids (or his friends kids can't remember which) and used to make up stories to tell them that are then used in the books - must have been really messed up kids that's all I can say...

Lewis Carroll a little bit creepy and possibly a bad person though

ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 3:07 pm

I haven't looked deeply in to Lewis Carroll and his behaviour/past but from what I've heard you could well be right.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicey Reilly on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

I just read about him on Wiki, proper little kiddie fiddler by the looks of it, but the argument is still ongoing

Dicey Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 4:57 pm

The Greek translation for lover of children is censored? Why? It's a perfectly valid English word, which would be offensive if a poster were being called it but only as much as the sentiment itself which you can still easily express here. You can't just pretend words don't exist!

ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

Censorship is always dodgy, but the auto swear filter on here is very weird, but on the plus side can offer some humourous changes like for example the rugby player whose called John c00ney gets changed to john personey on here lol.

I'd heard that Carroll was a kiddie fiddler, but never knew if there was any truth to it - he sounds weird though as you say.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:22 pm

just starting 'if on a winters night a traveller' by italo calvino.
read zafon's 'prisoner of heaven'a few weeks ago - not as complete a story as his first two installments but still enjoyable to revisit the excellent characters he introduced in shadow and angels game.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:24 pm

Just started King Solomon's Mines on my bus to my parent's house. I like the style the books of that era were written in

ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

I've really wanted to read some stories about Allan Quatermain, and am meaning to pick up Alan Moore's League of Extrodinary Gentlemen which is meant to be good and Quartermain is a central character in it.

What do you think of it so far?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

So far it's very engaging but I'm only 40 pages or so through. The book is written First Person like a letter or journal which is a style I feel is underused now. The setting, 19th Century Africa, is also one I am not very knowledgable about but am very interested in and it has helped. So far I recommend it but it's too early to guarantee!

ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:10 am

Cheers Chequered - I agree as well, the First Person perspective is very interesting and under used.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm

Am now about halfway through (it's only 200 and something pages long) and the plot has forte interesting albeit in a reasonably predictable way. The book is excellent and informative except in it's use of casual racism. Which when I think about it is also informative

ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

Yeah I was reading another book from that time (can't remember which now), and the casual racism was quite shocking in its blantancy, but as you say insightful of a past time.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 7:49 pm

Just finished the OMEN MACHINE, by TERRY GOODKIND, the latest in the SWORD OF TRUTH series. It's very slow, all it really does is introduce the new main bad character, not alot else really happens for alot of the book and it was easy to put down, which is a shame as most if the previous books I liked.
I suppose that the biggest problem I have with it, is the only reason I can see why he wrote it was for money. The other 10 books told the story, explained everything and wrapped it up well (if a little cornily), with an ending. There is no need to keep writing about a story that was finished in my opinion.

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Just finished the OMEN MACHINE, by TERRY GOODKIND, the latest in the SWORD OF TRUTH series. It's very slow, all it really does is introduce the new main bad character, not alot else really happens for alot of the book and it was easy to put down, which is a shame as most if the previous books I liked.
I suppose that the biggest problem I have with it, is the only reason I can see why he wrote it was for money. The other 10 books told the story, explained everything and wrapped it up well (if a little cornily), with an ending. There is no need to keep writing about a story that was finished in my opinion.

I've also just finished reading it. I didn't realise at first that it was a continuation of the series, but clearly by the end you can see that more will follow.

I actually enjoyed reading the book but grant it was a little slow at first when readers are first introduced to the machine. After that it quickly gathered pace and I was really enjoying his imagination once the 'main bad character' was introduced.

Not on the same level as other popular science fantasy writers but a good read nevertheless for me.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

Teassoc,
have you read the other books in the series, if not most of the other ones are far better than this one, and are worth a read.

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc on Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Teassoc,
have you read the other books in the series, if not most of the other ones are far better than this one, and are worth a read.

Yes, I've read them all. We'll have to agree to differ boxing

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc on Fri 05 Oct 2012, 5:32 pm

Anyone read Sea of Ghosts (Gravedigger Chronicles 1)? I loved it especially the first half when Campbell is introducing readers to the toxic sea.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 3:49 am

teassoc wrote:

Yes we shall, I just think if it would have been a start of the series it would have been an okay book, but like I said originally I don't see why he's continuing this series. Maybe I'm being unfair comparing it to the other books in the series, but I just thought it was very weak.

No have not read sea of ghosts (am currently working my way through Ian Irvine's the view from the mirror series).

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

tigerrobins wrote:
teassoc wrote:

Yes we shall, I just think if it would have been a start of the series it would have been an okay book, but like I said originally I don't see why he's continuing this series. Maybe I'm being unfair comparing it to the other books in the series, but I just thought it was very weak.

No have not read sea of ghosts (am currently working my way through Ian Irvine's the view from the mirror series).

I read elsewhere that it is the start of a new series.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:19 am

Just finished A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man. My brain is extremely sore.

Galted

Location: I live next to Greenwich Park now, you can come and visit but you must call first.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

Just finished The Painted Man and Desert spear by Peter Brett.

They were both excellent and I cant wait for the third one to be released now. Has anybody read these?

I have just picked up Paul Lakes autobiography and am finding it very good so far

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

davidl1061 wrote:Just finished The Painted Man and Desert spear by Peter Brett.

They were both excellent and I cant wait for the third one to be released now. Has anybody read these?

I have just picked up Paul Lakes autobiography and am finding it very good so far

Yes, read them both a while back. Also think there excellent, and tell the stores of the 2 men very well without it being slow or boring. Am also really looking forward to the third one (which I really hope is the last one and he dosn't drag them out), do you know when it's released?

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:56 pm

What are they about?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:56 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:What are they about?

They're fantasy books, about a land that at night is plagued by demons who attack and kill humans at if they haven't set there magical wards properly or leave there safety. The 2 books are about the characters who the people believe will save them and there lead them into the final battle. THE PAINTED MAN, is about Arlen who is a white man and his life, THE DESERT SPEAR about Ahmann Jadir who seems to be based on a Muslim (though I could be wrong), and his life.

They tell off there childhoods,rise to power friends etc, they really are both very good entertaining books that build both characters up very well and are well worth a read if you like fantasy books.

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 9:43 am

I'm reading millennium by Tom Holland. I've been reading it for months now...it's quite dense

mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 10:31 am

Cheers tigerobins, sounds interesting

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 5:48 pm

Yes, sounds good tigerobbins. All 3 have now been published apparently.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Thu 15 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

I've just finished Sable - Mike Grell's novel based on the Jon Sable, Freelance comic books.
Really enjoyed it - kept the pathos and violence of the character and had a good feel of Africa to it (although I've not been there, so I guess it could have been totally rubbish!)
If you liked the comic from the 1980s you'll like the novel. If you've never heard of it, it probably won't mean much to you.

JuliusHMarx

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkor on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:37 pm

I generally don't bother reading fiction. Last book I finished was Snowbound by Robert Sabbag, I'm currently working through Forgotton Voices of the Second World War by Max Arthur and The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann, and I have Schwarzenegger's autobiography waiting in the wings.

All are excellent reads, so far, and the Schwarzenegger book promises to be no different, from early snippets.

Melkor

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:46 pm

Carrying on the James Joyce brain abuse with Ulysses, every 45 minutes reading requires 15 minutes internet research.

Recently read a couple of PG Wodehouse books - Damsel in Distress & Joy in the Morning, pretty funny and not very taxing.

Galted

Location: I live next to Greenwich Park now, you can come and visit but you must call first.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:41 pm

I'm onto Tom Hiney's biography of Raymond Chandler.
Both Chandler and Wodehouse were pupils at Dulwich College, just a few years apart.

JuliusHMarx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny on Wed 21 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

MOZ , Adrian Morley's autobiography . Rugby League stars life story , it's a good read upto now seems quite honest in telling the bad points

Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

As a widnes fan I think I'll give that book a miss Kenny Smile

I'm currently on the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy, brilliant series of books

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerrobins on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

Just finnished THE TEMPLAR'S SECRET by C.M. PALOV. It's a fictional book, about someone who's daughter he didn't know he had is kidnapped, AMD the race to get the ransom which is the Evangelium Gaspar. The Templars stories are true I think. Now I like fictional books with history (Sharpe for example), but didn't particularly like this. The characters have no depth, it really stretches the imagination (the priest have had 700 years to decipher the riddle, he's got 4 days). Instead of going through how he works out the clues, he arrives at a destination then they go through how he got there. The main bad guys aren't really that bad, greedy but not sinister. You can see the ending a quarter of the way through the book, and if I hadn't have been bored I'd have quite easily have put it down and forgot to Finnish it.

I have just bought Kirsten Britain's green rider? series. Has anyone else read these?

tigerrobins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:24 pm

The State of the Art - Iain M Banks

I've read quite a few of his regular books (when he writes without an M) such as Wasp Factory, Walking on Glass, Complicity etc but this is only the 2nd sci-fi one of read of his (the other being The Player of Games). This one is a collection of short stories from his earlier days and seems to introduce The Culture and other elements he develops in later books.

Pretty good so far.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

Just finished the final Hunger Games book, pointless. After two very enjoyable books, the final installment was just a huge anti-climax, not impressed.

Borrowed a book called Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch which I'm just about to start reading, my mate wouldn't shut up about it so am hoping it lives up to his reviews

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum