The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Reading?

+119
Galted
ChequeredJersey
lfc91
AdamT
Rowanbi
kenn20152014
Alistair
Geordie
Derbymanc
Breadvan
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
1GrumpyGolfer
The Boss
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
88Chris05
rIck_dAgless
break_in_the_fifth
superflyweight
Mike Selig
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
bsando
Mind the windows Tino.
english warrior
Rowley
liverbnz
Steffan
alfie
kittenv2
SharkSoul
Crimey
Ent
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cyril
Melkor
JuliusHMarx
mckay1402
barragan
compelling and rich
tammywilson52
drsambo1928
bluestonevedder
Smirnoffpriest
Lee
Teej
GSC
Thomond
Cari
yappysnap
as1079
Casartelli
Il Gialloblu
sugarNspikes
teassoc
littleswannygirl
BigPhil
ShahenshahG
hodge
Roberto Mankini
Hero
Colan (niner)
Looseheaded
rawa86
GG
Rava
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
dummy_half
Sir. badgerhands
Cheesehead United
Enforcer
Diggers
Celtic Warrior
greybeard
No1yankee
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Goldbug
Kenny
Beer
Gaelic-Warrior
CFCNick
CelticLuke
Scottrf
ADMIN
racingnut
Mat
ncfc_Tooze
BALTIMORA
ALPanorak
md_fan
John From London Town
Luke
nadalistic
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
Adam D
Sara
AquaArab
calamity jane
randy-poffo
President Trump
AberdeenSteve
Nay
Kramxel
Solerina
asdral225
Legend
davidl1061
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
123 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 2 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 02 May 2011, 10:01 pm

Just started the first book of the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series. It is called Game Of Thrones. Only about 70 or so pages in so far but brilliant. Massive geek read! laughing

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by randy-poffo Tue 03 May 2011, 5:43 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Just started the first book of the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series. It is called Game Of Thrones. Only about 70 or so pages in so far but brilliant. Massive geek read! laughing

Enjoy the next 800 or so pages mate.
It's a cracking book though, I'm finished the first two and half books in the series and ready to start A Storm of Swords part 2.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 11 May 2011, 8:28 am

Just finished reading the Kick Ass graphic novel.

Only took about 45 minutes from cover to cover - havent seen the film but quite enjoyed the comic.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 11 May 2011, 8:31 am

randy-poffo wrote:Enjoy the next 800 or so pages mate.
It's a cracking book though, I'm finished the first two and half books in the series and ready to start A Storm of Swords part 2.

The first book so far has been brilliant. It has been one of those books I have struggled to put down. Just a question as I haven't really read much into the other books but do they continue from the first book or does it start a whole new story?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 11 May 2011, 8:16 pm

a clash of Kings pretty much starts off were Game of Thrones finishes bud.

Are you watching the TV series at the same time or are you waiting till you have read the book before you watch?

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 11 May 2011, 8:21 pm

I've started reading it as well once the series began, really impressed that the show keeps very close to the original.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 11 May 2011, 8:48 pm

I think I'll probably the read the book before I start watching the programme mate. I hated the Harry Potter films as they missed massively important chunks out that were in the book. I want to read the book so that I fully understand what is going on in the show.

How you rating the book so far Hero?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 May 2011, 9:00 am

Started reading the book now, after watching the first 4 episodes. So far the book is very similar to the programme. I'll probably keep just behind the episodes for this season, then read the other books before season 2.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue 17 May 2011, 12:00 pm

Just finished The Rogue, its the new one by Trudi Canavan. Thought it was quality, its the second in the trilogy and I now cant wait for the reease of the final book. Unfortunately I think it will be a while yet though

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 17 May 2011, 12:17 pm

Very much enjoying the book, it’s good to see that with the series sticking close to the book the little extras that a book can provide. It’s like watching the dvd extras where the director and actor talk over the film and tell you why the character did this or that, the thought processes that you don’t get to see in a tv show are there in a book.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CelticLuke Tue 17 May 2011, 2:12 pm

Finished Simon Kernick's latest thriller The Payback over the weekend which was excellent and I would totally recommend it.

Started reading yesterday Richard III - The Maligned King. Seems to be written from a very pro-Richardian viewpoint!

CelticLuke

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Tue 17 May 2011, 2:29 pm

Who wrote the Richard III book? I love that period of history and I'm always on the lookout for new material. Particularly if it shows Richard in a positive light.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by CelticLuke Tue 17 May 2011, 2:42 pm

CJ, Annette Carson and it’s published by The History Press. Am at work at the moment so the book isn’t with me but I’m sure it’s a recent publication as well.

CelticLuke

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 17 May 2011, 8:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:Started reading the book now, after watching the first 4 episodes. So far the book is very similar to the programme. I'll probably keep just behind the episodes for this season, then read the other books before season 2.

I think this could be the best way to do it with a few surprises in store it will make great TV if you don't know whats coming.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 17 May 2011, 8:50 pm

Hero wrote:Very much enjoying the book, it’s good to see that with the series sticking close to the book the little extras that a book can provide. It’s like watching the dvd extras where the director and actor talk over the film and tell you why the character did this or that, the thought processes that you don’t get to see in a tv show are there in a book.

100% agree, everything that you need to know or see is being shown on the on TV version, but if you are up to date with the book it all makes much more sense.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Tue 17 May 2011, 10:29 pm

Thanks CL. I'll definitely look out for it.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Wed 25 May 2011, 2:33 pm

After years of picking it up and failing to get into it I have finally started reading Lorfd of the Rings and am enjoying it. I think I always started reading it just after watching the films and as I havent watched them for a while am finding it a lot more interesting

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 25 May 2011, 4:11 pm

I've just finished reading John Terry: My Winning Season, after having it on my shelf for 5 years. Just started Ancelotti's biography, it's very funny with the things he got up to in his early years at Parma and Roma.

Thinking of getting more books, other than football.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 26 May 2011, 11:14 am

davidl1061 wrote:After years of picking it up and failing to get into it I have finally started reading Lorfd of the Rings and am enjoying it. I think I always started reading it just after watching the films and as I havent watched them for a while am finding it a lot more interesting

I have been reading them for awhile David and struggled for most parts but you just have to Very Happy

Im halfway through "Echoes of the Great Song" by David Gemmell, good read so far not one of his best but even his worst effords are worth the read

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

I'm reading two books at the moment 1066 A New History of the Norman Conquest, its more about what ocurred after the Battle of Hastings and how William is depicted as "a ruthless war criminal" and Bloody Victory The Sacrifice on the Somme. There's a leaning away from the "Lions led by Donkeys" belief and towards what was a vast and very painful learning curve for the British Army.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

Also reading two books atm. A new history of Ireland- a viewpoint on Irish history by someone who dosen't have an axe to grind. Really dispels some of the commonly believed myths by British unionists and Irish nationalists. While arguing that there was indeed good points about the british empire in Ireland and the often forgotten contribution made to it by the Irish themselves, it also depicts the adverse side-affects of greed and imperialism as a whole and dismisses the myth that Ireland was barbaric and uncivilised before the arival of the anglo-normans.

Also reading Japan- its history and culture. A great read, really gives an insight into an ancient culture that has absorbed western ideas and made them distinctly Japanese rather than be replaced by them. An eye-opening account of Japan's history and the many interesting people who shaped it while also explaining a completely different way of looking at life.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

Currently reading Waterland by Graham Swift.

Can't make my mind up on it yet,haven't finished got about 100 pages to go.In some parts it's quite dull but I really enjoy the way he's set it out and it's starting to get interesting as it reaches the culmination,hoping the duller parts are linked into the ending.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

Starch in my Collar by Maris Piper.

It's about the Irish Potato Famine, told from the point of view of the potato.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 22 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

"At Home" by Bill Bryson.

Cracking read so far.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm

I have just finished reading JAWS by Peter Benchley , for those who have not read it it has a lot of differences to the film ( before anyone says it .. Yes it is still about a shark ) , the characters personalities are different as are some of the main characters also some didn't make it from book to film . A good book .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 25 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

Just started on The Dead Sea Deception by Adam Blake, it's okay so far, and seems like it could be a decent read.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbug Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:30 pm

I'm currently re-reading the last book of Robin Hobb's "Tawny Man" trilogy. She is just an excellent writer.

I've heard so many good things about "A Song of Ice and Fire". The positive comments about it in this thread constitute yet another reason I really need to get around to reading those.

/picked up four James Patterson novels cheaply recently, so I'll be reading those next

Goldbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

Just finnished reading The Templar Cross, by Paul Christopher. Not that good.
Next starting The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Hopeful about this one.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Next starting The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Hopeful about this one.

Excellent. I have thought about buying this since I saw it in a bookshop as I thought it looked good. let me know how it goes?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

Halfway through LotR Return of the King and just finished the Warhammer 40k novel "Fallen Angels"

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:23 pm

LotR is a cracker, isn't it dicey?

Loved the trilogy, and the Hobbit too, for that matter.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

The first half of the first one is a struggle but once you get into it and forget all about the films your flying, I really enjoyed The Two Towers.

The hobbit is brilliant I cant wait until the films come out

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

Certanly will mad for chelsea. Going to really get stuck into it sunday/monday, as there my days off work. I'm really hopeful, espically as the books i've read recently have been average to poor.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Next starting The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Hopeful about this one.

Excellent. I have thought about buying this since I saw it in a bookshop as I thought it looked good. let me know how it goes?

Right, 1st of, if you like you're fantasy books to be action packed, or with lots of magic, dragons, sword fighting etc then this is not the book for you.

It's Kvothe telling his story to someone else, it is quite slow and by the end he was still at the university, meaning that there is going to be at least 1 sequal following it. There are alot of bits that you wonder why they are in, and at times it is dull, but as a book building up the early years and back ground to a character then it is good, though it does perhaps go in to too much detail. I think that the following book(s) are where the action will happen. It's not bad, but not as good as i had hoped, and also means i'm now going to have to buy the following books.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

Oh, and the next book i'm going to be reading is THE ILLUMINATUS TRILOGY,
by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Currently reading 'Decoded' by Jay-Z (surprise surprise), explains a lot of his lyrics, story behind his career, and puts forth the point that rap is poetry.

After this I'll be onto 'Serious creativity: Using the power of lateral thinking to create new ideas'. Will give feedback on it. OK it's aimed at business owners etc but being a music producer I thought it could be of help.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 08 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm

I have just started reading, book 1 in THE WAY OF KINGS series by Brandon Sanderson. It's started off well, hopefully will continue is this vain, and the next book after this i shall be reading is book 2 in the WAY OF KINGS series.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

I'm currently reading Mockingjay - the third and final installment of The Hunger Games series.

It's my first time reading the series. I can't wait for the movie in March.

Next up I will have my nose in a new book but could easily wind up starting The Hunger Games again.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm

Just finished "to kill a mockingbird" and then started Steve jobs' biography.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:43 am

At the moment I'm reading Pratchetts new book, Snuff. Robert Harris' Archangel and Dumas' The Three Musketeers.

Snuff is ok, if a little too repetitive in terms of the underlying message. Normally Pratchett's use of analogy is spot on, but right now he's trying to force a snooker metaphor that's just not working. I was very disappointed with Unseen Academicals. The fact that it was dictated instead of written by Pratchett showed through. The new book suffers from the same problem, but it's less marked.

Archangel is quite good. I wasn't expecting a classic, but it's running along at a very good pace and keeps you interested.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I'm reading book 3.2 of Game Of Thrones and Limitless.

Going to finish Game of Thrones then read a few biographies. John Hartson and Hugh Laurie being the 2 I have lined up.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I've just finished reading Roverandom by J R R Tolkien. Don't know how it's taken me so long to discover it. It's absolutely brilliant, even if it isn't quite the finished article (you can tell as some bits don't quite flow properly as Tolkiens' writing usually does).

A huge scope of imagination going on in the story though, brilliant for children to read I'd say. I loved it.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

Just started to read Michael J Fox's auto biography and finding it a very good read. I have just finished reading From Gangland to Promised Land by John Pridmore. Its a book about an east end gangster who turned hiis life around when he found God. Its an amazing story and one which really moved me. I would recommend it to anybody.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:51 pm

George Orwell 1984

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:56 am

Thought I would see if I could get this thread going again, I am currently reading the Jason Manford autobiography that I got for christmas and am really enjoying it. Before that I read the first 2 books of the James Clemens Godslayer trilogy, just wish he would get round to writing the third!!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:44 am

Just finished reading "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Torro - vampires in NYC - cracking read!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:53 am

Am taking a break from my more serious reading and have delved one again into 'Rivals' by Jilly Cooper - an easy read and can be very funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:59 am

Reading the Hobbit at the moment, love it

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:24 am

currently reading the latest Jordan & Sanderson Wheel of Time novel: Towers of Midnight or something like that. About half way through the 1200 pages or so, and enjoying it.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:35 am

Currently reading book 3.2 of Game Of Thrones set. Loving the series so far.

Got a whack of books lined up to read after I finish this series...even though that will take a while.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next