What Are You Currently Reading?

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 12 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 12 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Galted on Thu 29 May 2014, 10:40 pm

The film is brilliant despite the hammy 40s acting from the kids and the grandad. Ma Joad is quality.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 12 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by asdral225 on Sat 31 May 2014, 9:24 pm

D-Day by those who were there by Peter Liddle, it covers some of the preparation work and how the landings went on the five main beaches, it covers interviews from both sides. The logistics involved from the Allied side were just incredible just to get the armies there then keeping them supplied with every thing they needed.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:01 pm

Just bought the first Dexter book, so going to start that, interested to see how closely the TV series followed it given the changes of seen between the game of thrones books and the TV show

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 5:27 pm

Gaz, I think the first book was quite similar to the first series, like Game of Thrones was. I've read the second book but not seen the second series so can't comment on that one. Lots of internal monologues in the books that I found a bit hard going.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:52 am

Jack and the Beanstalk
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Beauty and the Beast
Fifi and the Flowertots - Stingo's Enormous Carrot

All better than anything Dean Koontz has ever written

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 17 Jun 2014, 12:00 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Gaz, I think the first book was quite similar to the first series, like Game of Thrones was.  I've read the second book but not seen the second series so can't comment on that one.  Lots of internal monologues in the books that I found a bit hard going.

I really liked it, think they done a real good job on the series

Now moved on to something a little lighter before I start the third Game of Thrones book. Reading the Ron Burgundy book, won't be everybody's cup of tea but for fans of Anchorman I would recommend, have belly laughed a fair few times reading so far

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:11 pm

The Hunger games trilogy. Thought the first 2 were excellent, the 3rd was okay but seemed a bit rushed and maybe could have been stretched to 2 books

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

Just finished The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  Reasonable vampire story, well-paced if not particularly well-written, some of the descriptions were quite good and some embarrassingly poor, far too much technical info at times.  Annoyed to get to the end and realise that it's part one of a trilogy, was also blatantly a pitch for a tv or film series.  Don't think I can be arsed to read the next two unless I'm on a beach somewhere but if you like thrillers of the zombie/vampire genre it's worth a read.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 11:20 pm

The Third Option by Vince Flynn. Really enjoying this Mitch Rapp character.

Back to top Go down

Post by rick_dagless on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 10:27 am

This forum

rick_dagless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 11:13 am

Galted wrote:Just finished The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  Reasonable vampire story, well-paced if not particularly well-written, some of the descriptions were quite good and some embarrassingly poor, far too much technical info at times.  Annoyed to get to the end and realise that it's part one of a trilogy, was also blatantly a pitch for a tv or film series.  Don't think I can be arsed to read the next two unless I'm on a beach somewhere but if you like thrillers of the zombie/vampire genre it's worth a read.

You do realise that it is a TV series now!?

I read this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but like you never got around to reading parts 2 or 3

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 11:51 am

Just finished "Wayfaring Stranger" by James Lee Burke - the man is brilliant. If your a fan of Burke you'll enjoy this however, given it's also the first novel introducing us to another of Burke's creations, you won't have to have read any of his other books to enjoy it.

Just reading "The Drive -In" series by Joe R. Lansdale - see above. Comedy-horror-sci-fi brilliance from the seeming peerless Lansdale. Read it many years ago and haven't read it in such a long time it almost feels new to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:27 pm

Adam D wrote:
Galted wrote:Just finished The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  Reasonable vampire story, well-paced if not particularly well-written, some of the descriptions were quite good and some embarrassingly poor, far too much technical info at times.  Annoyed to get to the end and realise that it's part one of a trilogy, was also blatantly a pitch for a tv or film series.  Don't think I can be arsed to read the next two unless I'm on a beach somewhere but if you like thrillers of the zombie/vampire genre it's worth a read.

You do realise that it is a TV series now!?

I read this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but like you never got around to reading parts 2 or 3

Cheers, Adam.  Have reserved it on the rental list, interested to see how it translates on the screen - favourably I'd imagine.

Currently reading In One Person.  Bought the 4 or 5 John Irving books I haven't read when I was in Texas and this is the first of them I'm reading.  Am about a third of the way through and it's stuttering along like his works often do, gradually sucking me in.

Read the Winter Queen by Boris Akunin while I was there, fairly engrossing detective story.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:31 pm

The acting in the first double part was iffy to be honest but it's got a good cinematic feel. Got them taped and will need to catch up soon

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 9:54 pm

Finished In One Person a while back, shares the (dis)honour of being John Irving's worst book with The Fourth Hand.  The build-up wasn't bad but it just seemed to stagnate and fizzle out into a chronology of just about every character dying the same death.  And the characters were dull cut-outs it was impossible to give a phuck about.

Have subsequently read A Russian Journal by John Steinbeck, a record of his travels in post-war Soviet Union with Robert Capa (the photojournalist).  A bit simplistic at times but generally quite interesting and funny.  I rarely go for non-fiction but this was worth a read.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 10:58 pm

Just read Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, it's a superhero novel with a bit of a twist and well worth the read if you're into that kind of thing (or even if you're not!)

If you like Fantasy then can I suggest you must try two authors; Joe Abercrombie and Richard Morgan, both reinvented the new gritty fantasy or 'grind ark' that Martin started and both do it best.

If you're into scifi then read Richard Morgan or James Corey.

Infancy no matter what read Richard Morgan.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:20 am

Re-reading "The Straw Men" by Michael Marshall. Read it years ago thinking it might be on a par with the comic sci-fi stuff he wrote as Michael Marshall Smith (Spares, Only Forward etc) and was disappointed. I'm a big fan of crime fiction and this paled in comparison with some of the stuff I was reading at the time. The glory of the internet means that I can now download a load of stuff for nowt and give things another whirl without coughing up any money. The Straw Men is OK but I'm glad I got it for free.

Blokes family dies, he discovers that he's not who he thought he was and they hid a deep dark secret from him and it runs alongside the search for a serial killer who may or may not be acting alone. The two stories combine and....some stuff probably happens at the end...if I get that far.

F*ck it, I'm going back to reading the latest installment in the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom

Last edited by DAVE667 on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't write, how the fuck am I ever going to be able to read?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:55 am

Dispatches by Michael Herr.  It's about his time as a Esquire journalist during the Vietnam war.  It's flipping brilliant, it really is.

Beautifully written, incredibly honest and moving all at the same time.  I am a bit of a war book junky and this is one of the best I have read.  It's superb and I would recommend it to anyone who any interest in war literature.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 11:37 am

Tino you may want to read..

"Vietnam A History" by Stanley Karnow.

Most definitive book on Vietnam..........

Takes you from the trouble Johnson had with his Generals, Advisors and the useless Diem...all they way into the War zone...and to Nixon's struggle to end the conflict.

It's a big book........If you're interested in the War I recommend it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 11:39 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Tino you may want to read..

"Vietnam A History" by Stanley Karnow.

Most definitive book on Vietnam..........

Takes you from the trouble Johnson had with his Generals, Advisors and the useless Diem...all they way into the War zone...and to Nixon's struggle to end the conflict.

It's a big book........If you're interested in the War I recommend it !!

Nice one, T-Bone. I'll get it on the list. Anything from WWI through to the Falklands and I'm all over them. Cheers.

I'm invoicing your father-in-law if it's sh*t though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:09 pm

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason is a pretty decent memoirs by a helicopter pilot who served in Vietnam.  Lots of technical stuff at the beginning when he's learning to fly helicopters but gets a lot better once it gets onto the war stuff.  

Matterhorn by Karl Marlentes is really very good.  It's fictitious, but it does seem to be incredibly realistic (writer served as a Marine in Vietnam).  Right up there with The Thin Red Line in terms of books about war.  

Shifting tack slightly, I'm currently reading A Dance to Music of Time and am three books into the series (of 12).  Not a whole lot has happened so far but it's brilliantly written and the satire is very funny.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:20 pm

If youre interested in war tino might want to watch a korean movie called brotherhoodor taegukgi.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:36 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:If youre interested in war tino might want to watch a korean movie called brotherhoodor taegukgi.

Just had a wee look on t'internet. Looks pretty good. Thanks, Shah.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm

Have you read Bravo Two Zero Tina? That is a war book, and is Alan Partridge's favourite book.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

Rowley wrote:Have you read Bravo Two Zero Tina? That is a war book, and is Alan Partridge's favourite book.

Get out of here, Jeff.

It's only the Partridge reference that is stopping me from banning you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:If youre interested in war tino might want to watch a korean movie called brotherhoodor taegukgi.

Just had a wee look on t'internet.  Looks pretty good.  Thanks, Shah.

Can't really blame you for your hate transference/losing yourself in fantasy/roleplay... kiss

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:50 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

It's only the Partridge reference that is stopping me from banning you.

And your complete inability to actually ban me. (Sean really will think we start conversations on other thread now just to accuse him of killing threads)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 10:12 am

Just made a start on Jeremy Bowen's 'The Arab Uprising: The People Want the Fall of the Regime.'

Not too far in at the moment but the early signs are quite encouraging that it'll prove a good read. By Bowen's own admission it's not a comprehensive commentary or timeline on the Arab Spring as a whole - it's more focussed on his own personal experiences in the region in 2010 / 2011, rather than the news-making side of it we've all seen.

Hoping to have it finished within the next couple of weeks.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

Honda Garden Machinery Catalogue

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 3:50 pm

Laugh
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 3:50 pm

Have nearly finished The Choynski Chronicles. Anabel Hernandez Narcoland next, it is about the mexican drug trade and its links with the political system over there. Have been looking foward to it for ages.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

Galted wrote:Laugh

It is really good actually. I'd recommend the section on which mower for which garden. Thorough piece.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 4:06 pm

I need a series of books to read over next few weeks. Any recommendations? Action, Fantasy Thriller. Just a good series to read. Cheers

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

Have just started the Serge A Storms series by Tim Dorsey. Bought about half a dozen years ago and just downloaded everything recently. There's about 16 or 17 of them.

Finished "Florida Roadkill" and am on "Hammerhead Ranch Motel"

Sun, sea, sand, psychotics and an in-depth knowledge of Florida's history. Funny, violent and oh yeah extremely violent (Death by rum enema?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:04 pm

Just finished Them - Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson. Ronson is a brilliant writer and this is possibly his best book. About extremists (inevitably) and those who believe in the Illuminati and such like. Scary and fascinating stuff, does open the possibility that onetwo has been right all along though, which is a bit on the scary side. Can only recommend the book though, and pretty much any of Ronson's.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

Rowley wrote:Just finished Them - Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson. Ronson is a brilliant writer and this is possibly his best book. About extremists (inevitably) and those who believe in the Illuminati and such like. Scary and fascinating stuff, does open the possibility that onetwo has been right all along though, which is a bit on the scary side. Can only recommend the book though, and pretty much any of Ronson's.

laughing Most of it is still cowpat

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

True shah, but not as cowpat as you might imagine. You should read it, it really is fascinating stuff.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 5:28 pm

I will mate. Just look at these feckers as old boys networks, basically crooks with large dreams..

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

Currently reading 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad. I am normally a quick reader but due to the complex nature of the text it's taking me ages. It is one of the darkest and moodiest books I have ever read though so far

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 10:47 am

Stalingrad by Antony Beevor (l*l).

War and sh*t, it's quality stuff from Beevor (l*l) as usual.

He was bonkers, that Stalin. Someone should have said something to him.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:04 am

I'm someone must have said something, Tina, He killed enough people in his time for this to be a very distinct possibility.

Anyway, just got the latest John Connolly novel. It will undoubtedly be good and even if it isn't (unlikely) it was free!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:20 pm

An Azumah Nelson biography. Chris said it was not very good, but I'd already purchased it by then. Have not read enough to comment as to whether Chris was right or not. Got an Ezzard Charles biography on order, looking forward to that, just killing time till that arrives.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

Rowley wrote:An Azumah Nelson biography. Chris said it was not very good, but I'd already purchased it by then. Have not read enough to comment as to whether Chris was right or not. Got an Ezzard Charles biography on order, looking forward to that, just killing time till that arrives.

We need to find a TV quiz show with huge cash prizes that concentrates solely on warfare from 1914 to 1982 and boxers from 1850 to 1985, Jeff.

You and I would clean up.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 12:28 pm

I would be reasonably confident we would be extremely wealthy did such a show exist.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm

The Gold Delusion - Richard Dawkins

Just really trying to understand why I have huge doubts about faith, religion and the notion of God. 80% through a most (but not all) of his explanations are satisfying.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 2:24 pm

I am reasonably confident that the chances of you two getting rich off that premise are the same as me getting my show, "Pro/Celebrity Mass Murderers" commissioned.

Shame really, Billy Pearce was up for it, said if he had to do another year of Panto in Bradford he'd kill someone. I'm just following him round with a hidden camera and keeping my fingers crossed now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Tue 14 Jul 2015, 8:59 pm

Just finished Until I Find You by John Irving, another poor effort on the downward slide of my once-favourite author.  800 pages of bland characters in a contrivedly zany situation either side of a weak twist, it's vaguely reminiscent of Irving's earlier work but lacks humour and charm and depth of the characters.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by GeordieFalcon on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:10 am

Read all the CJ Sansom books about Shardlake the hunchback lawyer up to book 4. I have just received book 5 and 6 so will read them very soon. Great books.

I am half way through Dan Browns The Symbol. Its not bad.

GeordieFalcon

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:29 am

I'm reading the Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan, its a prequel to her Black Magician series

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:03 am

Them - Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson.

I was recommended this by a dear old friend of mine.

It really is a very good, albeit slightly unnerving, book that gives a decent insight into about 0.005% of the eccentrics, tin-foil hatters and outright lunatics in the world. Ronson is a very gifted writer and the book is laced with some genuinely l*l out loud moments. Some of it was quite edgy, especially his time with the KKK and them checking out his Jewish profile.

The only thing I was a little disappointed with was that I never really got what Ronson actually thought of these people. I know the premise of the book was just his time documenting and travelling with these people but he is such an entertaining writer, I just wished he had expressed more of his opinion.

Excellent book and I shall be checking out some more of his work.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum