What Are You Currently Reading?

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Galted on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:43 am

Read Dubliners in preparation for Culture Cup v3. Didn't do me f*ck all good. Worthwhile though, by far the most readable of Joyce's works and impressive that he wrote it in his early twenties.
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:39 pm

Most readable James Joyce is like most pleasant form of crucifixion though
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 8:25 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Most readable James Joyce is like most pleasant form of crucifixion though

Laugh

Well at least it gets you out in the open air.
Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 12:32 am

Th1rt3en by Steve Cavanagh.

Can't really give you a synopsis. As it would give away the book. But it's a court room thriller. Which i really enjoyed. The characters are engaging, it's well thought out. A bit of a page turner with how it's written, with a couple of good twists .
I'd recommend it.
But do be warned, there are 3 books before this about the main character Eddie Flynn (which I didn't know about). Not reading them won't interfere in the book, but some of his back story won't make much sense I guess.

The Whispering Room by Dean Koontz.

I am currently reading, and it's hard work, as in my opinion the books to easy to put down.
It's about a rogue FBI agent, going after a secret cabal who use mind control to incite suicide (which is really murder). Meanwhile a sheriff is looking into the latest of these
It just not that interesting as it sounds. I don't care about the main characters.
And the only reason I'm still reading it is stubbornness.
Just don't bother (unless you like Dean Koontz).
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke on Fri 13 Jul 2018, 5:44 pm

Munich - Robert Harris.

I like Harris and his books are very atmospheric, and he builds up the tension well. The ends tend to be a bit week, as he deals with things that we know the outcome up. And this doesn't disappoint. Interesting, good read, atmospheric .
Worth a read.
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 3:39 pm

Origin by Dan Brown.

The latest Robert Langdon Book. Set in Spain about the assignation of former student Edward Kirsch before an important a scientific breakthrough about were we are from and we're we going during his presentation. And the race to still broadcast it, etc.

It's poor. There's less about symbols and what made the books good to start with. There are about 3 stories in this book, none of which are that interesting. It's not as engaging as his earlier books of the same character. And to be honest it's fairly boring. And not as interesting with the main stuff you learn (I always learn more from his books). It's fairly easy from 3/4 of the book to work everything out. If you like Dan Brown I think you'll find this very disappointing.
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 5:53 pm

Currently on Black Order, a book in the Sigma force series by James Rollins.

These books are like the Dan Brown books with less symbols/art and a lot more action. They still contain that central ancient mystery that is slowly unravelled over the course of the book. Not the best in the series, but a decent enough read.

Also, a few months back I read Children of Time (not sure if I reviewed it before). One of the best books I have read in a long time. Any sci fi fan will love it. Basically follows 2 parallel stories of human beings escaping a ruined earth and the super quick evolution of spiders on a terra-formed world that earth had been shaping prior to its downfall. Sounds a bit weird, but it was honestly a great read. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 8:28 pm

Luke wrote:Origin by Dan Brown.

The latest Robert Langdon Book. Set in Spain about the assignation  of former student Edward Kirsch before an important  a scientific breakthrough about were we are from and we're we going during his presentation. And the race to still broadcast it, etc.

It's poor. There's less about symbols and what made the books good to start with. There are about 3 stories in this book, none of which are that interesting.  It's not as engaging as his earlier books of the same character. And to be honest it's fairly boring. And not as interesting with the main stuff you learn (I always learn more from his books). It's fairly easy from 3/4 of the book to work everything out. If you like Dan Brown I think you'll find this very disappointing.

Agreed, I wasn't a fan of Inferno but this is worse, the last third is particularly poorly written.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 1:24 pm

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:Origin by Dan Brown.

The latest Robert Langdon Book. Set in Spain about the assignation  of former student Edward Kirsch before an important  a scientific breakthrough about were we are from and we're we going during his presentation. And the race to still broadcast it, etc.

It's poor. There's less about symbols and what made the books good to start with. There are about 3 stories in this book, none of which are that interesting.  It's not as engaging as his earlier books of the same character. And to be honest it's fairly boring. And not as interesting with the main stuff you learn (I always learn more from his books). It's fairly easy from 3/4 of the book to work everything out. If you like Dan Brown I think you'll find this very disappointing.

Agreed, I wasn't a fan of Inferno but this is worse, the last third is particularly poorly written.

This is one of 3 books I had brought to Mexico to read, which I am now not overly excited about thanks to this thread....

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum