The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Jones

+6
Cari
Fernando
David Tails
Lex-Express
Solerina
Adam D
10 posters

Go down

Tom Jones Empty Tom Jones

Post by Adam D Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 am

I just wanted to start a thread on the greatest Welshman ever.

Now I know its stereotypical to be from Wales and liking TJ but I for one actually think the guy has a legacy of hits unrivalled by his peers.

I used to be of the opinion that Tom Jones was just about Delillah, Its not Unusual and trying to be hip with current stars but that is not the case at all. I bought TJ's greatest hits a couple of years back (for the songs I mentioned above to be honest) and was amazed as to how good his music is.

The actual arrangements of the tunes from the 60's and 70's is absolutely mind blowing. Even cheesy songs like "New Mexican Puppeteer" has amazing horn sections that the casual listener won't have heard. Some of his balads showcase a side of Tom you might not be aware of. "I'll Never fall in love again" is one of the most heartfelt songs I have ever heard - you can almost imagine Toms heart breaking whilst singing it.

Even terrible lyrics cant keep his good songs down - check out Thunderball. Terrible lyrics but a true big band orchestra feel to it. There are other hidden gems in there that have to be listened to. to be truly appreciated.

I recommend you all get on spotify and listen to some of his old songs - you will be really surprised about how good, musically they are.

The final word I want to leave you with is about "Green Green Grass of Home". Another 'hit' that people think they know. But listen to the words again, and it really brings home a message fo being proud of your roots. And the ending is very poignant but uplifting - a truly great and timeless masterpiece.

So are there any other TJ fans out there?

Last edited by Hobo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Tom Jones Empty Re: Tom Jones

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 am

New Mexican Puppeteer is my favourite Tom Jones song.

I loved his Reload album.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 am

King Beer wrote:New Mexican Puppeteer is my favourite Tom Jones song.

I loved his Reload album.

I love the way he says 'wood' in NMP! You can almost imagine him thrusting his hips as he says it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:55 pm

My fav Tom Jones song......Help Yourself

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I never knew you could put links in like that!

I have changed the OP to put in some links to the songs I mentioned - I recommend everyone checks out I will never fall in love again for TOm's emotional best!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex-Express Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Greatest welshman ever?

surely that honor goes to Rob Terry

Lex-Express

Location : I like coffee, vanilla icecream and smokewheel pizza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Hobo wrote:I never knew you could put links in like that!

I have changed the OP to put in some links to the songs I mentioned - I recommend everyone checks out I will never fall in love again for TOm's emotional best!

And your an Admin !! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 pm

King Beer wrote:And your an Admin !! Shocked

I would have mentioned that, but I'd probably be stripped of my modship :606laugh:

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Hobo wrote:

The final word I want to leave you with is about "Green Green Grass of Home" Another 'hit' that people think they know. But listen to the words again, and it really brings home a message fo being proud of your roots. And the ending is very poignant but uplifting - a truly great and timeless masterpiece.

So are there any other TJ fans out there?

Hobo, you are so right......I love this song but I'd never listened to the lyrics properly till now.......it's so sad........I never realised it was about waiting to be executed and dying.

I like this recording of it.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

not the biggest fan of him tbh but i have respect of what he's done in the music business

surely the best singer in wales would be kelly jones from the stereophonics or katherine jenkins (yum)

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 am

Sorry Hobo I have to disagree. As someone who was born and bred in Wales, I see a different side. He does nothing for my generation, and I'm sick to death of the way in which he's held up as some sort of bastion of Welsh culture when he isn't. He is someone who has a good voice that's all; and to me that's just someone who got lucky in that their good voice was recognised. He hasn't written any songs himself, he doesn't say anything about the reality of where he comes from - and only sets foot in Wales if there's something in it for him like yet another "homecoming" gig.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am

So on the basis of not writing your own songs, what do you make of Elvis?

I think the Wales thing is a albatross in reality. More would like him him for who he is and how he sings if he didnt have the Wales stigma.

I dont like disagreeing with a fellow Taff but you got this one wrong!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am

fernando wrote:not the biggest fan of him tbh but i have respect of what he's done in the music business

surely the best singer in wales would be kelly jones from the stereophonics or katherine jenkins (yum)

James Dean Bradfield surely?

I'm somewhere between Hobo and Cari's views. I wouldn't credit him with any of the arranging or instrumentation of songs because he had nothing to do with that - he just got lucky that he was picked for those songs. But his voice, and the emotion he conveys is fantastic at times.

I prefer Shirley Bassey I think - but again, she was just a motown-style product who got lucky.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 am

Hobo - the thing is Jones, like Bassey have benefitted massively from being Welsh especially in the late 1990s when being Welsh was suddenly fashionable (Cool Cymru etc...). They sell out their biggest shows in Wales and often market them as "homecoming" gigs. They've both performed at events like the opening of the Welsh Assembly too. My gripe is that they weren't as proud to be Welsh previously until the likes of the Manics came along and took all the abuse first to make it cool to be Welsh again. In all fairness the press big them up more than the public do, but their careers thrive on it.

Elvis didn't need to write his own songs because he was unique in his own right, and had a whole persona, not just a good voice, hence his global iconic status.

I'm not disputing that Tom Jones has a good voice, but there's nothing special to him in my view. Anyone can sing a Tom Jones song like Tom Jones, in the same way anyone can sing like Shirley Bassey with the right coaching. I just don't like this obsession with them being so amazing, when actually they're not. There's a lot of singers like that though.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:23 pm

It's not unusual for people not to like Tom Jones..........

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Hobo
In the 1970's I used to play golf with Barry Mason, the guy who wrote the lyrics to Delila. 'why why why j lie there'

He told a good story of when he and Les Reed went into the studios with Englebert to record The Last Waltz.
They did a run through with the session musicians and at the end they all burst out laughing as they thought it was a wind up.

That song was Barry's pension.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Great story!

Although I still like seeing him perform at his age, the classic Tom left at around the time of "Kiss".

I admire what he did since then, but the great orchestral pieces are long gone. But what a collection he left.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Whenever I see Tom Jones now I am reminded of Keith Harris's other puppet. No not Orville - the monkey

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Hobo wrote: the classic Tom left at around the time of "Kiss".

"Kiss" was a total travesty on a par with Rolf Harris singing "Stairway to Heaven" or Will Shatner doing ... well pretty much anything

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Agree with that Davie. And I don't know who thought it was a good idea for TJ to sing that awful Sex Bomb song. They should be punished.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down