The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have the English ever done for us?!

+14
dummy_half
Cymroglan
fa0019
Totallybiasedscarlet
PJHolybloke
PenfroPete
The Lord Baron Edwood
Breadvan
TheGreyGhost
nottins
MBTGOG
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
BridgendBoyo
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What have the English ever done for us?! Empty What have the English ever done for us?!

Post by BridgendBoyo Wed 10 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14463137

To copy monty python, 'What have the English ever done for us?...'

Well, Rugby! Not only did they invent the game and brought it to Wales, but in English man playing for Cardiff, conceving the modern way of having 7 backline players which helped Wales dominate the game. Ineresting article on the bbc rugby page

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

What have the English ever done for us?! Empty Re: What have the English ever done for us?!

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

BridgendBoyo wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14463137

...... of having 7 backline players which helped Wales dominate the game.

I remember an era for Wales when they were very strong, can you remind me about the domination?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

What have the English ever done for us?! Empty Re: What have the English ever done for us?!

Post by BridgendBoyo Wed 10 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

one of the top teams about 100 years ago, been downhill ever since...all a bit tongue in cheek

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:08 pm

biltongbek wrote:

I remember an era for Wales when they were very strong, can you remind me about the domination?

Read the article, we are talking over a hundred years ago here!

But dont forget they did win two grand slams last decade. Dont forget that. Two grand slams. How many have England won? Two grand slams. Henson.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

But dont forget they did win two grand slams last decade. Dont forget that. Two grand slams. How many have England won? Two grand slams. Henson.

Have England won two Grand Slams in the last decade?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Two world cup finals. Johnny Wilkinson. ...etc

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Are we building a "quote" tower here?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm

"On Their Day" Wales can beat anybody.
Henson
Lions Front Row
Close The Roof!

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Yeah but was it not Grand Slams you were talking about? Smile

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:34 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

2009, lots of Henieken cups,BOD etc

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:34 pm

MBTGOG wrote:

It looks to me he was just quoting Welsh posters. Nowhere does he suggest England have won 2 Grand Slams.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

They might've produced two Grand Slam victory videos. Did someone get confused?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

What has grand slams, henson, world cups, george north, resevoirs and language got to do the main article?

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

nottins wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:

It looks to me he was just quoting Welsh posters. Nowhere does he suggest England have won 2 Grand Slams.

Here-

How many have England won? Two grand slams.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Here-

That's not what he said though:

It's all about context.

A Welsh fan could reply about England fans:

Don't forget that England got to two RWC finals in the last decade. Don't forget that. Two RWC finals. How many have Wales got to. Two RWC finals. Wilkinson.

And I'm not arguing, just putting over my view of how he wrote it.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

er.......Anyhoo, back on topic Whistle Great article and some fascinating history. Some great names too. Barry Excelsiors, Anglo bavarian rovers using local pubs as dressing rooms? You can't beat it!
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Baron Edwood Wed 10 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

Great pic of Englands vs Wales in 1904- the players look old and thin!

The Lord Baron Edwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 10 Aug 2011, 2:07 pm

nottins wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:
Here-

That's not what he said though:

It's all about context.

A Welsh fan could reply about England fans:

Don't forget that England got to two RWC finals in the last decade. Don't forget that. Two RWC finals. How many have Wales got to. Two RWC finals. Wilkinson.

And I'm not arguing, just putting over my view of how he wrote it.

It comes to something when youre relying on Nottins to read something and come up with a sensible answer.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 10 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

Breadvan wrote:er.......Anyhoo, back on topic Whistle Great article and some fascinating history. Some great names too. Barry Excelsiors, Anglo bavarian rovers using local pubs as dressing rooms? You can't beat it!

It does make a mockery of the people who moan about modern club names having "tags" (e.g Sale becoming Sale Sharks) when its historicaly the norm for rugby clubs. Barry Exelsiors does sound liek a pron star though

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 10 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

Barry Excelsior? Laugh He's seen more Cat tha........... Whistle
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 10 Aug 2011, 5:19 pm

Think Mr Phil Bennett answered the question in 1977 -

"Look what these bar stewards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English - and that's who you are playing this afternoon"
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 10 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Think Mr Phil Bennett answered the question in 1977 -

"Look what these bar stewards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English - and that's who you are playing this afternoon"

Yeah, everyone conveniently forgets that the English are the only net tax contributors to the UK, roads, hospitals, schools, railways, viaducts - yeah it is just like Life of Brian when you think about it.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:00 pm

Light the blue touch paper and.........

retire. Run
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:

Yeah, everyone conveniently forgets that the English are the only net tax contributors to the UK, roads, hospitals, schools, railways, viaducts - yeah it is just like Life of Brian when you think about it.

That old myth! Given how many chain stores trade in Wales I wonder what the tax contribution would be if they had to pay their welsh stores tax etc to a welsh treasury. Since none of that get's checked on the Welsh box currently (or Scots for that matter) I have a little sucpicion that the figures aren't accurate.

Even IF it turns out Wales public spend is bigger than all tax revenues generated here - who's fault is that then? Who ran the country between 1282 and 1999? Who shut down our mines?

Don't say Maggie to both - shes not THAT old!!!! laughing
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:40 pm

You're just totallybiasedscarlet Very Happy

Economics closed the mines though, both my grandads were miners in the Black Country and 80's economics closed our mines and factories.

Maggie Thatcher was the milk-snatcher, and she is pretty old - but you're probably right, not THAT old. Shocked

Last edited by PJHolybloke on Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bid spooling)
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

Wasn't half the costs of the Millenium Stadium funded by a UK (i.e. predominately English) govt. subsidary?

They also gave you a thoroughly entertaining evening the last time they visited the stadium at the beginning of the year, wouldn't you say?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 10 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

I'm a tax payer and I would not mind my tax contribution being used to fund buildings that are accessible to all It's much better than seeing it being wasted on sorting out inner city issues.
The Millennium stadium was partly funded by the Millennium Commission (National Lottery) and private investment

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 10 Aug 2011, 10:03 pm

Cymroglan wrote:I'm a tax payer and I would not mind my tax contribution being used to fund buildings that are accessible to all It's much better than seeing it being wasted on sorting out inner city issues.
The Millennium stadium was partly funded by the Millennium Commission (National Lottery) and private investment

clap ...and she's a beauty, so much better value than that roundball white elephant wemberley.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 10 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm

"They buy our homes"

In the current property market you think the Welsh would thank us

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 11 Aug 2011, 9:25 am

We also built you a load of nice castles along the northern coast. Been doing wonders for your tourist economy ever since Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 11 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

Thats a good point actually, did the Welsh ever buy them off us?

Id also like to point out that the last proper Welsh Prince of Wales bought and lived in a house in England. Yet he never had the decency to play for our side, instead he buggered off to France. You dont see George North and Ben Morgan doing that do you.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

England are possibly my second favourite rugby team along with France and Aus. They are definitely my favourite opposition not just because the games always have an incredible atmosphere but because I really enjoy the Craic with their fans after who tend to travel well and generally make for a cracking weekend in Dublin.

Also this may sound a little odd but I am obsessed with the programme Coast which is English or British. I think it is probably the best programme I have seen on television in a long time.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:30 am

leinsterbaby wrote:England are possibly my second favourite rugby team along with France and Aus. They are definitely my favourite opposition not just because the games always have an incredible atmosphere but because I really enjoy the Craic with their fans after who tend to travel well and generally make for a cracking weekend in Dublin.

Also this may sound a little odd but I am obsessed with the programme Coast which is English or British. I think it is probably the best programme I have seen on television in a long time.

Except the Welsh bits, they spoil it for me.

Joking aside no doubt the Beeb will move on to the emerald isle with this series at some point, its a massive money spinner for them.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

They already have and Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands etc. Absolutely stunning photography and brilliant research. I had always dreamed of filming the west coast of Ireland from top to bottom as I know how amazing it is from surfing and diving the length and breadth of Ireland. They beat me to it though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

Really ? Blimey shows how much attention I pay. I only watch Dave and ceebeebies.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:52 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote: Except the Welsh bits, they spoil it for me.
You won't want to do the 3rd best walk in the world then Pete - LINK1 - LINK2 - LINK3 Wink

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote: Joking aside no doubt the Beeb will move on to the emerald isle with this series at some point, its a massive money spinner for them.

They've done bits already Pete thumbsup -
Dublin to Derry - LINK
Galway to Baltimore - LINK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

Really recommend the Galway to Baltimore episode if you like surfing.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Really ? Blimey shows how much attention I pay. I only watch Dave and ceebeebies.

Not mad about Dave but cbeebies is actually quite good. My son absolutely loves in the night garden.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Really ? Blimey shows how much attention I pay. I only watch Dave and ceebeebies.

It does show biscuit but thanks for explaining thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

Coast is a good show, except for the extraordinarily annoying Mark Horton.

Alice Roberts is lovely!

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

Mark Horton is gas. He is such a wierdo. Love Miranda Krestovnikoff. Have to say enjoyed the Galway episode immensely when she takes a seaweed bath. Alice Roberts is very nice too.

I also think the Scottish dude is quite an Interesting character.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

Dick Strawbridge not only has one of the best names out there he also has a mighty 'tache.

A man's man. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

Now this is not a dig at Wales - I've trundled around Wales in the past, and I know it's beautiful, but

And it seems the international community agrees, rating the 186-mile path among the top ten walks in the world

Who is this 'international community'?

Looking at the rest of the list, just looks like a bunch of middle class plonkers have got around a table in a Gastro-Pub ansd listed their favourite holidays.

Must admit, I liked Coast also (including the Welsh bits), only fly in the ointment is Mark Horton. His voice, method of perambulation and constant mention of Saxons (even when he is at a dig in a former Anglian strohnghold) just gets me really angry.

And I'm sure he speaks highly of me Whistle

Edited to note that I'm not the only one!

And I agree about that Tache - makes me fel inadequate
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

Well, I'm looking forward to doing both the Tongariro Alpine Crossing -
LINK1 - LINK2
and the less strenuous Abel Tasman - LINK
in October
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

I have a disconect between 186 miles, walk and lovely. Maybe it doenst translate well from Welsh to English.

Just think though that if we hadnt cleared out so many small farmers with changes to the land ownership laws such as the enclosures act then these walks might not be possible.

If Alice Roberts replaced that Sonia bird for the job of asking inane questions and making LOL look like a date naughty person would people be happy?

I like that thing about the Alaskan crab fishermen. Makes shoving a Tuilagi from behind look safe.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:I have a disconect between 186 miles, walk and lovely. Maybe it doenst translate well from Welsh to English.

Just think though that if we hadnt cleared out so many small farmers with changes to the land ownership laws such as the enclosures act then these walks might not be possible.

If Alice Roberts replaced that Sonia bird for the job of asking inane questions and making LOL look like a date naughty person would people be happy?

I like that thing about the Alaskan crab fishermen. Makes shoving a Tuilagi from behind look safe.

Yeah that programme isn't bad except every episode is pretty much the same.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

The English have graciously donated this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc to Wales

In retaliation for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong link)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

They allowed us to plant and nurture a prehistoric dinosaur egg in the depths of East Anglia many years ago - The egg lay dormant for milleniums until about 19 years ago small cracks in a huge shell could be seen. Immediately the welsh geologists and palaentologists brought it back to Anglesey for safe keeping and hence a beast was given the name George North who is destined to wreak havoc through the northern and southern hemisphere for the next decade. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

I always wondered why Norfolk smelt funny.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

Is it true that if ypu put George North into a pool of mercury, his body will align with NOT magnetic north, NOT true north, but actually will align to map north?
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next