The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolton in for SWP

2 posters

Go down

Bolton in for SWP Empty Bolton in for SWP

Post by Crimey Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has said the club are in talks with Shaun Wright-Phillips about signing the Manchester City winger.

England international Wright-Phillips has had limited chances under Roberto Mancini and would be allowed to leave.

The only stumbling block appears to be the 30-year-old's wages.

"He is someone I would love to bring to the club," said Coyle. "Whether it is possible, only time will tell. There are financial implications involved."

Wright-Phillips has recently struggled to hold down a first-team place at City, making only 10 starts last season.

The former Chelsea player is behind David Silva, Adam Johnson and James Milner in the pecking order at the Etihad Stadium, and any move to Bolton would boost their squad following the injury to Lee Chung-yong, who will be out for nine months with a broken leg.

"Players at Manchester City are on contracts that are more than we could pay," added Coyle. "There is a threshold we cannot go beyond.

"But there has been dialogue between our chairman and [City chief executive] Garry Cook. That is where we are at the moment. There is nothing concrete."

Coyle also confirmed talks are further advanced with former Stoke striker Tuncay Sanli, who could be about to arrive on loan from Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.

"We are a good way down the line with that but it is not cut and dried," he said. "He is a terrific player, who really works his socks off."

Coyle said he was also surprised that no offer had made for defender Gary Cahill, although with Arsenal linked to the England centre-back, that may now change if Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri leave the Gunners.

"I am surprised there has been no firm offer," added Coyle. "Teams have had six or seven weeks already.

"I totally understand if they have made offers and talks are progressing, but why leave it until the last minute?"

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14490559.stm

I think this could be a good signing for both club and player, Bolton will get a fairly decent player with international, European and cruically Premier League experience who is still pacey at 30 years old and might even come for fairly cheap because City are so desperate to get rid of the dead wood in their side. Wright-Phillips would also get to play regular football and I think will find a level he is comfortable with at Bolton rather than being on the fringes at top clubs, he can be a main attacking force at a fairly good side.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bolton in for SWP Empty Re: Bolton in for SWP

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm

Don't really rate SWP, but maybe OC is the guy to get the best out of him. Don't think Bolton would be going for him had Chung-Lee not broke his leg.

Tuncay is an interesting one, showed glimpses of being a good player but never seemed to keep it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

I look at it 2 ways:
In the first instance I sympathise with SWP in that he's played for 2 clubs where the resources are unlimited and he was always competing with 2/3 others for the job and his game time has been very restricted.
In the second instance I have no sysmpathy in that he knew this and still chose to join Chelsea/Man City who were both presumably offering bigger salaries than other clubs.

I think Bolton could be the ideal place for him; Coyle is a great man manager and there are unlikely to ever be huge sums available to sprengthen the squad so he should get a long run

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm

Never rated him higher than average. I agree with Grizzly in that he went where the money was.

Poor first touch, feeble last ball and seldom takes the game by the scruff of it's neck.

But if you care to listen to his adopted father then he has been totally underused at both Chelsea and Man City..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down