The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premier League Discussion Thread

+42
liverbnz
sodhat
Don Corleone187
Cheesehead United
Sand
czaree
Mr H
legendkillar
Calder106
Celtic Warrior
dyrewolfe
hodge
AlexHuckerby
Kenny
antoineclarke
ADMIN
dondelero
Irish Curry
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Beer
Bull
Josiah Maiestas
Derbyblue
Davie
ncfc_Tooze
westisbest
The Galveston Giant
braveheart101
Mat
HitmanOwl
Fernando
GSC
Gregers
John Cregan
JohnnyH
Liam_Main
sharky066
AberdeenSteve
Thomond
Crimey
Trebs
Adam D
46 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Premiership - 13th August 2011

Post by Guest Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Today sees the return of the premiership! (about time, It's a nightmare during the summer with no footy)

Today's matches:

Blackburn v Wolves 15:00
Fulham v Aston Villa 15:00
Liverpool v Sunderland 15:00
Newcastle v Arsenal 17:30
QPR v Bolton 15:00
Wigan v Norwich 15:00

How do you see the games going today?
And don't forget to join the v2 prediction league, 96 in so far!
https://www.606v2.com/t10360-prediction-league-partnership

Back to top Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Post by Fernando Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:57 pm

FreekShow wrote:
fernando wrote:he likes to go back and forth between here and argentina so would suit him fine

He is seriously taking the urine if he uses his home-sickness excuse as a reason to join Arsenal though Nando.

nothing would surprise me with tevez, does he ever spend more then two seasons at a club?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 pm

fernando wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
fernando wrote:he likes to go back and forth between here and argentina so would suit him fine

He is seriously taking the urine if he uses his home-sickness excuse as a reason to join Arsenal though Nando.

nothing would surprise me with tevez, does he ever spend more then two seasons at a club?

Nope and I think he is always about the money, money, money. I don't think he is the sharpest tool in the box either otherwise his PR would be a hundred times better. Is he still moaning about not being able to speak the language? The guy is a mercenary in my book. Arsenal can do without.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:42 am

I'd be dissapointed if we didn't take anything from today's game, Arsenal are looking very weak, and we're only missing Gerrard and possibly Johnson. I just hope Dalglish starts Kelly ahead of Flanagan and probably drop Henderson as well for Kuyt or Meireles, we need a bit more experience in there for this game, and I don't want to see us lose it in a poor second half again.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:54 am

Thankfully Kelly has replaced Flanagan, but we've also dropped Suarez and replaced him with Kuyt which is seriously dissapointing, I can only assume that he has some kind of small injury as he was our main threat against Sunderland. Only other expectation is that Dalglish is playing a bit more defensively, Kuyt works best with Suarez so it's a real shame.

Still feeling optimistic though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:00 pm

SUNDERLAND V NEWCASTLE

Sunderland: Mignolet, Bardsley, Brown, Ferdinand, Richardson, Larsson, Cattermole, Colback, Elmohamady, Sessegnon, Gyan.
Subs: Westwood, Gardner, Wickham, Vaughan, Ji, Bramble, Laing.

Newcastle: Krul, Simpson, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Ryan Taylor, Tiote, Cabaye, Barton, Obertan, Gutierrez, Shola Ameobi.
Subs: Harper, Williamson, Lovenkrands, Gosling, Ba, Best, Marveaux.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Is Demba Ba unfit or something? He is by miles the best striker they have.

Also, any got any bets on today's football?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Arsenal Vs Liverpool

Arsenal Szczesny; Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Jenkinson; Frimpong Ramsey; Walcott Nasri Arshavin; Van Persie. Subs: Fabianksi, Miquel, Lansbury, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Miyaichi, Chamakh, Bendtner

Liverpool Reina; Kelly Carragher Agger Enrique; Henderson Lucas, Adam, Downing; Carroll, Kuyt. Subs: Doni (gk), Flanagan, Skrtel, Meireles, Spearing, Suarez, Maxi.

Last edited by fernando on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:07 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Is Demba Ba unfit or something? He is by miles the best striker they have.

Also, any got any bets on today's football?

Ameobi always has a good game against Sunderland. But Ba will come in the second half imo, glad to see Jonas/Obertan starting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:09 pm

We need to get a result against Arsenal today, Frimpong and Jenkinson are obvious weak points, hopefully Nasri will be too demotivated to play at his full ability and Koscielny and Szczesny are liable to mistakes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:10 pm

That Sessegnon's got a shot on him!

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Jenkinson has been seriously thrown in the deep end. Henderson has to tear him to shreds today.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Wenger wouldn't throw people in that aren't ready for the premier league so i wouldn't count on henderson taking him apart.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Blatant penalty and a red card. FFS Webb, sort it out!

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 pm

He's never played at a higher level than League One though. I seriously think Wenger will regreat putting him there.

What sort of player is Frimpong?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Churchill, I don't care if he should have been sent off. It is great seeing Joey Barton not getting what he wants, kumquat!!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:20 pm

he looked composed against udinese in the qualifier and frimpong is a defensive midfielder

he was going to be in the 1st team last season but got a cruciate injury and was out for 9 months, he's charges around like essien on drugs

What happened to barton?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:21 pm

But it's what we deserve. It was blatantly blocked fof the line with his arm. Wouldn't mind if it was debtable, but it's clear as anything.

Nando, from a corner Ameobi knocked it on to barton who headed towards the top corner. Larsson jumps across and knocks the ball away with his arm- just a corner given.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Frimpong sounds like the sort of player you have been lacking for years

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Headscratch how hasn't the ref given that

I was looking forward to seeing frimpong last season could be quite handy.

the person people need to watch coming from the bench is ryo miyachi bit like walcott but with a trick and a end product

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm

I can only guess his view was blocked, but his assistant on that side should have spotted it. S.Taylor just had a good knockdown that Obertan ignored.

Bardsley just been caught late by Cabaye, who's quite angry, Ameobi trying to keep it calm. Cabaye booked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 pm

meireles on the bench is an odd move considering he was 1 of liverpool's better players last season

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Koscielny off, Iggy Miquel on.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:36 pm

We're looking strong defensively, just need to have a bit more cutting edge going forward, I'm very impressed with Enrique and Downing ont he left side though, they both look very decent.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Miquel looking OK since he came on and Jenkinson holding his own too. Frimpong a real live wire. Arsenal need to find a way to get Theo more into the game

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Now that is what I call getting none of the ball Laugh

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 pm

We need to put more pressure on the younger defenders, Vermaelan is doing very well though. Maybe getting Frimpong a bit wound up might help as well, get him sent off.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Maybe getting Frimpong a bit wound up might help as well, get him sent off.

Typical scousers

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Davie wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Maybe getting Frimpong a bit wound up might help as well, get him sent off.

Typical scousers

Want to explain?

Pretty sure it's a fairly common thing in football to wind people up during the game. In fact, one of Arsenal's "legends"; Martin Keown was infamous for trying to wind people up.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm just amazed people openly suggest trying to get someone sent off

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Davie wrote:I'm just amazed people openly suggest trying to get someone sent off

I don't understand why that's so amazing, I'm not suggesting we break any rules or anything like that, but if Frimpong who has been one of the better players for Arsenal was to be sent off it would open Arsenal up for us.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Trying to get someone sent off is against the rules. It's cheating

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Well you got your wish. Hope you feel good about it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:17 pm

He's gone.

I'm not suggesting to do anything that breaks the rules. I don't think there is anything in the rules against winding an opposite player up.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:17 pm

It's hopefully make it easier for us yes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I suppose you were cheering Joey Barton on last week for getting Gervinho sent off then?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Davie wrote:I suppose you were cheering Joey Barton on last week for getting Gervinho sent off then?

Of course not. He broke the rules when he grabbed hold of Gervinho, but the sending off was valid, Gervinho slapped Barton, the dive was over the top but Barton was just making sure the referee saw it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Cheating then

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Davie wrote:Cheating then

The grab was cheating, and he was punished for it. The over-the-top fall was not cheating, contact was made.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 pm

YES!

1-0!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:29 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:
The grab was cheating, and he was punished for it. The over-the-top fall was not cheating, contact was made.
Overreacting is cheating, if he hadn't fallen to the floor I doubt Gervinho would have been sent off.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
Overreacting is cheating, if he hadn't fallen to the floor I doubt Gervinho would have been sent off.

Which only further shows why Barton had to go down, Gervinho slapped him, whether it was soft or not, that is a straight red card, but because the referee didn't have a good view, he may have missed it. Gervinho should have been sent off, plain and simple.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Suaaaarreeezzz!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Derbyblue wrote:

Which only further shows why Barton had to go down, Gervinho slapped him, whether it was soft or not, that is a straight red card, but because the referee didn't have a good view, he may have missed it. Gervinho should have been sent off, plain and simple.
Oh so diving is ok if it gets someone sent off, if it means the "correct" decision is made?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm

It wasn't a dive though, if no contact is made, then it's a dive, but he was slapped, however softly, so he didn't dive.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:41 pm

2 goals, 2 offsides, 10 against 11

Sums it up really

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Happy with the win. I don't think Suarez was offside for the second goal.

Even if we didn't win it in a better way, the performance we put in was pretty encouraging, and a win can only give a boost to our confidence, I was very worried that we would fail to kill the game off despite the fact that we dominated possession and always looked assured at the back.

It has definetly shown that Arsenal need some improvement, particuarly in central defence, Vermalean and Frimpong were your best players, and Frimpong ruined it by getting sent off. Arshavin looks a shadow of the player he once was, Van Persie looked alone up front, Wallcot is dangerous down the left, but didn't really have any final product. Investment is obviously needed.

On the other hand, our side looks pretty good, we just need to finish games off earlier and more convincingly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:It wasn't a dive though, if no contact is made, then it's a dive, but he was slapped, however softly, so he didn't dive.
How was it not a dive? Yes contact was made, but contact that even a baby wouldn't have fallen over from, it was a clear dive in the fact there was probably a 2 or 3 second delay between contact and reacting.

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Of course not. He broke the rules when he grabbed hold of Gervinho, but the sending off was valid, Gervinho slapped Barton, the dive was over the top but Barton was just making sure the referee saw it.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:It wasn't a dive though, if no contact is made, then it's a dive, but he was slapped, however softly, so he didn't dive.
How was it not a dive? Yes contact was made, but contact that even a baby wouldn't have fallen over from, it was a clear dive in the fact there was probably a 2 or 3 second delay between contact and reacting.

It doesn't matter whether you think somebody else wouldn't have gone down from the slap, the fact is Gervinho slapped him and deserved to get sent off. Barton only went down because he was slapped. In the same way if a striker was running straight for goal, clear goal scoring chance and was clipped by a defender, that's a red card whether or not the player goes down or not, if you think that a baby wouldn't have gone down from the challenge is irrelevant, the offence was there.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:53 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Even if we didn't win it in a better way, the performance we put in was pretty encouraging, and a win can only give a boost to our confidence, I was very worried that we would fail to kill the game off despite the fact that we dominated possession and always looked assured at the back.
Dominated possession? You had 51% of possession against a team full of players who wouldn't normally be playing if Arsenal had a fit squad.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:55 pm

51% against 10 men for the last 20 minutes.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next