The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher

+20
ryan86
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Lairdy
venice1
pedro
Shotrock
LadyPutt
hend085
Noel
princedracula
NedB-H
Doc
1GrumpyGolfer
McLaren
sirbenson
Maverick
Redrage
navyblueshorts
kwinigolfer
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Not much more to say about Webb Simpson's breakthrough last week at Greensboro, and certainly not worth adding anything to his hand of god report afterwards - makes Maradona look a novice. But Simpson's paid his dues, his challengers rather fell away, and he was able to saunter through the back nine with relatively little pressure. He leapfrogs into Fred Couples' Presidents Cup qualifiers, Jim Furyk dropping out, and it's going to be facinating to see Couples finesse his Captain's Picks if the standings remain the same (which they won't) with Fowler, Furyk and Woods bidding for two places. (I'd expect Zach Johnson, for one, to be anxious to make the Team.)

2).Job done for Els and Harrington squeezing into the FedEx Play-Offs, but they'll need to be a lot sharper to be among the 100 survivors leaving The Barclays destined for the Deutsche Bank. Casey, Leonard and Cabrera were among the more notable Wyndham participants whose efforts left them out of the FedEx fun.

3).And so, from Donald Ross's Sedgefield CC in Greensboro to Donald Ross's New Jersey gem, Plainfield CC. Sparing no expense, 606v2's very own correspondent, Shotrock, has filed this assessment of the course:
"It's a great course. Really a gem. I'm in agreement about it being the second best course in the Garden State, (after Pine Valley). Others will shout Baltusrol, but not in my book." Seldom seen by TV viewers, or anyone outside Shotrock's exclusive set, it has hosted John Cook's US Amateur and Laura Davies' US Women's Open but not much else on the national stage.

4).We detailed some of the golfers who were in peril of missing out on qualifying for The Barclays; now to identify those who will need a good result this week to be among the 100-strong field progressing to Round 2. Let's say the top 90 are secure. That leaves this lot among those fearing for their FedEx future:
Anthony Kim
McDowell
Immelman
Goosen
Villegas
Appleby
Poulter
Els
Harrington

Again: George O'Grady, hope you're reading this.

5).123 golfers will be playing this week, the top 125 qualifiers, less Schwartzel who's sitting this one out, and JB Holmes who's undergoing some scary (but reportedly non-invasive, non-life threatening) brain surgery next week. Hopefully Webb Simpson's guiding hand can help JB through this difficult time - JB: all distance and no-putt - until he became one of the early Stockton disciples. Good health to him, and play faster when you return.

6).Best wishes on returns to good health to others currently in sick bay, including Tim Clark and Mike Weir who have apparently recently undergone quite similar elbow sugery, and a forgotten man, Arron Oberholser, a rising star of the last decade, now nursing hand, hip, wrist etc etc injuries. Clark and Weir (Presidents Cup partners in a memorable Harding Park Presidents Cup battle with Stricker and Woods) hope to return early next year, but there's no timetable for when, or if, Oberholser will be good to go again.

7).Talking of Woods, all of a sudden Won't Play Woods is on the hook as he wants to play the Presidents Cup in Melbourne, and has contractual obligations with the Australian Open to pay for TWA's aircraft fuel, but Couples has said he must play to be selected. Tiger says: "I might add another PGA Tour event to my schedule. Right now, I'm looking at my options." According to Tiger's blog, he'll tee it up next Wednesday at Notah Begay's "Foundation Challenge" at Turning Stone. Unfortunately he might have trouble making his tee-time as he writes that this will be held in Verona, NJ. Too bad the event is in Verona, New York. He's missed some fairways in his time but 200 miles off-course is a lot, even for Tiger.

8).Woods has won 3 of the 16 FedEx Play-Off tournaments held so far. And there are four other multiple winners - in fact the first 12 events were won by just six guys, Slocum being the only one-timer. But all the 2010 tournaments were won by first-timers, including Furyk, the ultimate winner. He is one of five (Els, Furyk, Mahan, Mickelson and Stricker) to qualify for every Tour Championship since the Play-Offs began, Mahan and Stricker are the only ones to play every tournament, Stricker the only man to play every round.

9).Fred Couples beat John Cook in a play-off to win the Senior Players Championship last week at Westchester CC. The over-fifties cross country to the Seattle area this week, for the Boeing Classic. Once again Roger Chapman and Mark Mouland are merely alternates and their dream of earning full Champions Tour membership is fading fast, both of them almost certainly headed back to Q-School. Wonder if Barry Lane will join them?

10).And there'll be a second Scot on the 2012 PGA Tour as Russell Knox has pretty much sewn up his card for next year, via Nationwide success. He'll be in Tennessee this week, a happy hunting ground for him last year when he was 7th. Gary Christian and Greg Owen also compete with Matt Richardson "first alternate". And Boo Weekley and Nathan Green are among a raft of exempt PGA Tour players hoping to keep their game sharp after failing the FedEx test, John Daly also playing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by venice1 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:23 pm

Ned, that's funny.

Not sure what the weight devices are called but the system of applying different sized weights usually on the back of the club heads to alter or affect the flight of the ball. I've noticed a number of manufacturers such as with the TaylorMade R11 irons further developing technology concerning center of gravity weight distribution systems as an example. All within the rules though. Wonder how the previous generations of golfers would have faired with such equipment.

venice1

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Barclays: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

Ned,
They have experienced weather problems in Wisconsin so the medal part of the "Amateur" was delayed and only recently completed. Hodgson was the only GB&I Walker Cup player to miss out on the 64-man field for Match Play.

Not sure exactly how play is being rescheduled to allow Sunday completion; they might have a problem there.

Still no word that I can find of any contingency plans for The Barclays if the hurricane hits on Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

Bet I know what Ian Poulter's just been doing, FedEx preparation be damned.
Let's hope it puts him in a confident frame of mind for tomorrow.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't moved the tee-times up half an hour or so for Barclays Round 1, as the chances of late afternoon storms seems to be increasing by the hour. And PGA Tour officials now acknowledge the approach of "Irene" but won't change any plans before Friday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:27 am

Some speculation reported that the Tour may play 36 holes Saturday for those who make The Barclays cut, should the Hurricane threaten Plainfield on Sunday.
Make your judgement as to who might be struggling fitness-wise heading in to their last dozen or so holes. Tim Herron? Graeme McDowell?? Mickelson???
We'll find out soon enough.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:07 am

So much talk about hurricanes and earthquake over there in US, but as we've been reminded this morning, even a bit of harmless fog can be just as 'effective' in disturbing a golf tournament...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

venice1 wrote:Ned, that's funny.

Not sure what the weight devices are called but the system of applying different sized weights usually on the back of the club heads to alter or affect the flight of the ball. I've noticed a number of manufacturers such as with the TaylorMade R11 irons further developing technology concerning center of gravity weight distribution systems as an example. All within the rules though. Wonder how the previous generations of golfers would have faired with such equipment.

Venice did previous generations not just alter their clubs themselves with lead tape etc.? Hogan used tons of the stuff if I'm not mistaken and cranked his clubs open. With the way pros can mess about with shaft length, club lie and lead tape surely the ams can be given an easier option to mess about with their clubs?

If the weather improves I might try and convince my other half that a trip up to Gleneagles at the weekend would be a great idea!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:37 am

I'm away to Gleneagles now that it's underway, that's the beauty of living 20 minutes from it. Kwini, if you're over for the Ryder Cup in 2014 I can accomodate you!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:55 am

Thanks EmmDee, You never know! Have a great day there.

The early Barclays starters will be parking their courtesy cars and getting ready for Plainfield CC's Round One. Should be a pleasant enough morning, a bit breezy perhaps, with a good chance the afternoon proceedings might be enlivened with some weather action - 50% chance of storms, some "severe". Not sure how that works but that's the Weather Channel for you.

But it may turn out that Plainfield's early defence will be wind. Friday should be perfect conditions, Saturday a bit iffy, Sunday? Batten down the hatches!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

Looks like this is another gimmick for following golf in real time and 3D (well, almost, on both counts) when no live tv is available... I'm checking this first time so I've no opinion yet... Today they follow F. Molinari, R. Fisher and D. Willet group at Gleneagles.

http://twitter.com/#!/VirtualEyeGolf/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitpic.com%2F6azdnq

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

Off on time at Plainfield, though Crane and Verplank still in a morning fog as they started with bogeys.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Mac,
To be honest I'm out of date with various placing options - big changes since I was last in the bookies on a regular basis. I DO know I did quite well betting on PGA Tour golf in England after four years of living here. But returned so not up to snuff.

Agree, betting to win not wise except for certain players at very specific events.

Things like low round, betting within a grouping, most birdies etc not for long-term fiscal health I would imagine. Wouldn't touch such bets with a bargepole.

I think there is alot of money to be made on Golf betting. aside from the fact i like the added interest it can give an event... the betting sites and bookies dont seem to do they amount of research they should or could.
for example it seems like they often just look at the world rankings or last weeks winner and make the odds from that point. They dont factor in anything like this course favours a ball flight, player X has a top 5 here 3 years in a row, player Y has an elbow injury etc.

re the point about only backing to win, this is somewhat irrelevant given that you can "lay" as well as backing on the online exchanges.
so for example when your player is going ok down the stretch and you think he might bottle it you can just lay off the bet and lock in some money regardless of the eventual outcome.
anyone have any questions re betting etc. hit me- i do it for a living!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

hend0,
I certainly agree that bookies' odds seldom reflect the real chances of a golfer playing well in a specific event and that, if one can discern actual value rather than that calculated via rankings/popularity, there are great opportunities to be had!
This week's a toughie though!!
Which side of the fence are you on hend0?

Curious that all seven GB&I golfers play Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.
Reports that Goosen broke a toe running a boat trailer over his foot, although he says it's only bruised. What is it with toes this year?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

Give me a minor earthquake over a tropical storm any day. Looks like this will be a 3-day event, even if they waiting until Monday the course may not be playable if they get the water they are predicting. Too bad!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

Kwini im on both sides of the fence!
I'm a trader by trade. stocks, shares et. al.
i did applied statistics in University though so i use alot of that to playing poker and sports betting too. mainly just for fun in the last year or two but used to wager pretty chunky sums prior to that!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 25 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

So let me get this Fed Ex PlayOffs thing straight again..............Luke Donald could win the Barclays, the Deutsche Bank and the BMW and come 2nd at the TOUR Ch'ship. HOWEVER, if the winner of the TOUR Ch'ship starts that week in the Top 5 of the Play -Offs they will win the Fed Ex Cup???...................I realise they wish to avoid a scenario where the Fed Ex winner might be decided before the TOUR Ch'ship, but in the interest of sporting fairness they surley have to take that small chance ??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

viewship figures come ahead of sporting fairness!
its all because of what happened in 2008 when VJ was a lock after 2weeks.
even though Villegas won the next two he couldnt catch him

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

That's why its called a play off or else it would just be the order of merit finishing in the Tour Champ.

Its like the Championship play offs for the English Premier League. You could finish something like 10 points behind 3rd spot but still beat them to promotion. I think in the Australian Soccer league (A-League) they use play offs to decide the league winner. Rolling Eyes

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Lairdy wrote:That's why its called a play off or else it would just be the order of merit finishing in the Tour Champ.

Its like the Championship play offs for the English Premier League. You could finish something like 10 points behind 3rd spot but still beat them to promotion. I think in the Australian Soccer league (A-League) they use play offs to decide the league winner. Rolling Eyes

They do the same thing for the MLS too, very stange you have to win your conference then win the playoffs to be league champion....

I can see what they are trying to achieve with the Fed Ex but I think it does cheapen the TC as it was always and imo should be to top 30 money winners in that event

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

No argument, but if it creates compelling tournaments, which it certainly has for four years, the first three events at least, it's OK by me. Would certainly prefer a Match Play finale though.

Mav,
I picked up a Golf Monthly in the bookstore the other day, and lo and behold there was a "profile" of Littlestone GC.

Great to see a promising start by Sergio.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

That's the way it works John... as I said somewhere else, its all about maximising the drama, both in intensity and duration, and implicitly the viewership figures, as hend085 said. So, if it's supposed to be about compelling viewing, then they certainly succeed in that...

Anyway, it's great to see Sergio with another strong start.
Adam also continuing to play excellent golf... I'm sure Stevie
knows all too well from past experience that:
10% x 10million = 1 million!!!
So there is certainly an added push from him in there... Wink

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

BANG!!! BADDA-BANG!!!

Forget about Sergio and Adam and have a look at Monty... birdie-eagle start!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

5 birdies and an eagle on the back nine for Stevie. wonder if hell give Adam any credit Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:44 pm

Caveman Glover has slumped since Sir Nick tipped him for the US PGA and who rubbed Pat Perez up the wrong way in the Q&A?

Just flicking down through the leaderboard and noticed Steve Flesch made it in. Not seen him since The Masters last year(?) where he often makes an appearance on the leaderboard. Wondered what he'd done to make it in - turns out 4 top 25s including a T3 at Reno (opposite field event yes?) and a few other decent finishes is enough. Just never really noticed him about for a while. $18m he's made in his career as well.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

princedracula wrote:BANG!!! BADDA-BANG!!!

Forget about Sergio and Adam and have a look at Monty... birdie-eagle start!!!

That might have been the high point.

Now went bogey-bogey.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 25 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

princedracula wrote:...if it's supposed to be about compelling viewing, then they certainly succeed in that...
...well, not at the moment...
The commentators on the pgatour.com livestream made a good point... Padraig's decision to cancel his Caribbean holidays was a wise move, not necessarily because he made it into the Playoffs, but because the Caribbean islands are getting a real battering from Irene at the moment...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 25 Aug 2011, 5:13 pm

ryan86 wrote:That might have been the high point.

Now went bogey-bogey.
Laugh ... it was me jinxing him again devil

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 25 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

I feel bad for the members at Plainfield. Not "real" badly since they're member at Plainfield! ... but because they gave up a good chunk of the golf season, will have their course pretty beat up, surrounds really beat up ... and due to the weather, many won't see it for the excellent course and facility it is. Just one of those things.

O'Hair disappointing, but I have a strong hunch about Fowler and Donald. We shall see.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Noel Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

Kwini,
I see Johnathan Byrd did very well in the first round scoring a 6 under 65 to tie 2nd with VJ and I'd like to see him keep it going.
Unfortunately, I got bogged down in work and then after work had to go straight to appointment at dentist and thereafter straight home as in a bit of discomfort. As you've probably guessed missed the bet I was going to put on him at 150/1. Surely I can't miss out two weeks running. Told the missus and she just shook her head and laughed at me!Never mind, enjoyed watching it earlier and love that course.

Noel

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:23 am

no way Noel gutted for you!! i was thinking of your bet last night watching him and his yellow pants!
ive put a few quid on Harrison Frazer to win at 40/1 (after thursdays play)
with all the poor forecast i think this represents brilliant odds. theres obviously a fair chance hell blow it but given that the tournament could easily be cut to 54 holes (or maybe less) he could easily fall across the line. a first round lead is obviously more valuable in a 54 hole comp than a 72 and i dont think this has been factored in at all Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

Expect a possible thunder delay at Gleneagles very soon, just had a torrential downpour at my place 20 miles away and it's heading in that direction.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

Looking like G Mac's Fed Ex Cup race may be run already.....................needs to play the last 14 holes in at least -4........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

Lairdy wrote:Venice did previous generations not just alter their clubs themselves with lead tape etc.? Hogan used tons of the stuff if I'm not mistaken and cranked his clubs open. With the way pros can mess about with shaft length, club lie and lead tape surely the ams can be given an easier option to mess about with their clubs?
On the money, Lairdy. Many of the clubs the pro's used in previous generations would undoubtedly not pass today's rules' tests.

Morning kwini,
When do you expect the front and remnants of Irene to hit your area? Have you heard of the latest plans from the PGA Tour people? I'd imagine they'll want to give all the FedEx contenders a full opportunity to qualify for the next tourney.

Lorenzo Gagli. Where have we heard that name before and he's making a habit lately of hitting near the top of the leaderboard. Bjorn regaining his Open Championship form at 40 years old but difficult to gauge his vacillating season. The other Oliver contending this week as last week's Oliver is floundering.

kwinigolfer wrote:Apparently Allenby is giving Floyd a friend-in-need assist, and after the stories of Allenby's help and inspiration to Jarrod Lyle's career following Lyle's cancer battles, one has to wish player and caddy the very best.
Looks like Allenby is the recipient of instant karma.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 26 Aug 2011, 6:27 pm

Cutting it to 54 holes can be good news for Kooch and DJ, but not so good for some of those at 6-7 shots behind who would've thought they still have a chance to win. But still a lot to gain from finishing as high as possible, since it will all add up for the next weeks. Pleasently surprised to see Rose playing very well again. I wonder, is Harri finding his A game? Could never be sure of that, but I hope so!

As venice said, fantastic consistency shown by Lorenzo over the past couple of months or so, undoubtedly the in-form Italian at the moment. But looks like the 21st consecutive MC for Nick Dougherty... that's not a happy anniversary!

P.S. Best wishes to those of you across the pond which may find yourselves in the path of Irene! Hope it will all die out a bit by tomorrow...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 26 Aug 2011, 6:54 pm

Great to see GMac shooting up the LB today! But I'm not sure if the sponsor, Barclays, would be that happy with his last twitter 'performance':
Landslides in Scotland. Hurricane in New York. I'm scheduled to play the #Barclays Singapore Open...... Can't be that unlucky again? #hope

That's a new one on me... Padraig actually got two more birdies after I mentioned his name in a post!
He's getting close to the leaders now!? I loooove FedEx Cup! Whistle

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:07 pm

I see Slugger Whyte has announced we have a shortened 54 hole event due to the hurricane. The most shicking part of this announcement is that this gellow is named or uses the name Slugger!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

Redrage - Slugger not an entirely uncommon name in these parts. Too bad this event is shortened ... but you can be sure some areas are going to get pounded in the next 48 hours. Yikes.

So, Freddie goes with Tiger without Tiger having to play ... if anyone has earned the street "cred" (as they say), he has.

Nice comeback by GMAC, and Fowler and Donald not entirely off, but they probably won't have enough time to catch the big dogs.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:22 pm

Shotrock wrote:Redrage - Slugger not an entirely uncommon name in these parts. Too bad this event is shortened ... but you can be sure some areas are going to get pounded in the next 48 hours. Yikes.

So, Freddie goes with Tiger without Tiger having to play ... if anyone has earned the street "cred" (as they say), he has.

Nice comeback by GMAC, and Fowler and Donald not entirely off, but they probably won't have enough time to catch the big dogs.

I have heard of it as a nickname from really old films, but cant think why anyone would keep it though!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:31 pm

Some would put "Bubba" in that same category ... a cultural difference from across the pond to be sure.

Two really good amateur golfers in my neck of the woods are brothers named, ready for this ... Roc and Stone ... no joke!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

Shotrock wrote:Some would put "Bubba" in that same category ... a cultural difference from across the pond to be sure.

Two really good amateur golfers in my neck of the woods are brothers named, ready for this ... Roc and Stone ... no joke!

🤦 There is no need for that, they are not hamsters. Okay Roc, could be short for Rocco... but Stone? Why not Slab or Boulder or Sandcastle?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

Naming your child "Nigel" will get you strange looks in these parts ... but it's OK to name your hamster that!

I also heard of twin girls born a few years back named ... Shellaqua and Varnisha!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

Redrage wrote:Why not Slab or Boulder or Sandcastle?

Wasn't Rock and Gravel the names of The Boulder Brothers in Wacky Races?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:00 pm

Ahaa... playing with names?
VJ catching DJ !

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

Back on the air to the strange news that, if bad weather Saturday afternoon precludes completion of Round 3, the tournament will revert not to 54 holes but to the 36-hole standings.
Isn't that unprecedented? I would have thought that could create the possibility for a contrived finish as a late starter could conceivably start to dawdle if flooding rains became imminent and his round was getting away from him.
That wouldn't be "cricket" but it might be golf.

Meanwhile Hurricane Vijay going well while some should already be booking their late summer hols: Appleby, Goydos, Gillis, Bowditch, DiMarco, Pampling, Mayfair . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:18 pm

All eleven Europeans at the Barclays ATM are well inside the cut-line; I'd call that a pretty good performance.

And I see that Freddie Couples has made one of his Pres Cup Captain's "picks" already - young fellow called Tiger Woods.
I'd call that premature to say the very least; not much incentive for the American guys on the "bubble", PGA Champ Bradley, Fowler and Furyk amongst them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:25 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Back on the air to the strange news that, if bad weather Saturday afternoon precludes completion of Round 3, the tournament will revert not to 54 holes but to the 36-hole standings.
Isn't that unprecedented?
Unprecedented and also a bit of a nightmare for me as I'll have to do an extra calculation for each of the owgr earned there... (i.e. 75% x...)

Ernie and Poults with the option of an early working holiday in the Swiss mountains...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Noel Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

Kwini,
Jonathan Byrd still doing ok,pity he dropped one at 17 but hopefully he can keep his round going maybe 3 or 4 birdies to keep him in the mix (he's now on front 9).

Noel

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:41 pm

According to The Weather Channel, the likelihood of rain doesn't rise above 40% until after 3.00 p.m. so that augurs well for Round 3 completion. With sunrise at 6.18 a.m. they could also take out additional insurance by starting earlier than 7.00 a.m. . . . . . . .

Hi Noel,
Well, Good Luck with Mr.Byrd!

I see the cut-line just about to climb to -4 from -3; that'll send Michael Thompson home and hoefully Ben Crane.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

Leader -14 after 2 rounds???? What are they playing? Pitch and putt?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:53 pm

Shotrock wrote:Naming your child "Nigel" will get you strange looks in these parts ... but it's OK to name your hamster that!

I also heard of twin girls born a few years back named ... Shellaqua and Varnisha!
As it would here any time in the last 25 years SR!

Shellaqua and Varnisha, fantastic Laugh Was their father Ron Seal?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

Tom Lewis beaten by Patrick Cantlay in the US Amateur but Jack Senior has reached the Quarter-Finals.

With the Barclays cut-line changing, at least they'll have close to a minimum field to deal with in Round 3.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next