Any Mech Jocks Out There?

Go down

Any Mech Jocks Out There? Empty Any Mech Jocks Out There?

Post by dyrewolfe on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

If you're unfamiliar with the genre (or have no idea what I'm talking about) have a look at the clip below:

Mechwarrior: Reboot (Trailer)

Its the trailer for a new game in the Mechwarrior series that was first talked about a couple of years ago. Sadly development has stalled over image rights (the demo featured machines that were close copies of those from some Japanese anime series) and it seems the creators are having some difficulty in deciding how to progress.

Anyway, if and when it does come out, would you be interested in playing it?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Any Mech Jocks Out There? Empty Re: Any Mech Jocks Out There?

Post by ADMIN on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Used to love these games back in the day, used to always make the smallest mech possible and just run around like a loony.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

http://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:27 am

Played them back in the 90's not touched the Battle Tech world in about 10yrs though now. Heard the modding community is still quite good for the games that have been released.

Regards the legal rights these were some of the same they had back with the early game sin the mid 90's so seems a bit stupid they have revisited something thats has caused issues in the past.

Robotech is the US anime in question which is a mish mash of three Japanese animes, I always preferred the original setup but Robotech was a significant marking in the US anime scene. Its no Neon Genesis Evangelion or many other mecha anime but still a decent series which plays a important part in the industry.

Not sure I'd go back to playing them if I got the chance, have either MMO's that are ahead in the pecking order or multiplayer games for the PC that place higher.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:11 am

I just got the most appropriate advert banner I have ever seen above these comments - Mech Hero!

The banner software obviously picked up on Heros name and the topic and gave us our own advert!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

I liked one I played ages ago on the pc where it was RTS. Don't like any of the turn based ones though. Not sur if their the same franchise

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

TipToes88 wrote:I liked one I played ages ago on the pc where it was RTS. Don't like any of the turn based ones though. Not sur if their the same franchise

I think you're thinking of Mech Commander, which was the RTS game in the franchise. All the Mechwarrior games are FPSs, although you do get to control additional units (lance mates).

The only turn-based one I know of is Megamek, which is essentially a PC version of the original board game, developed by a bunch of enthusiasts at Sourceforge.net. Takes away the hassle of doing all the calculations yourself and lets you get on with the fighting.

@Dass:
Agree, it does seem daft to develop something they've had problems with in the past. I think the problem stems from the fact that they're trying to stick to canon Battletech history, in which a lot of these units are present. They should just do what Microsoft did and stick anything in that looks cool, whether its accurate or not. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

Well the problems they had in the past were the mechs that became known as the Unseen in the Battle tech world. I'm sure they could design their new game like they did before and just not include the Unseen in them. Its just baffling they didn't just go and try and get the rights for in the US to the Unseen at the start of development and know where they stood at the start.

There was definitely 1 maybe 2 (depending on how its counted) RTS games in the Battletech universe prior to Mech Commander though the later is the best well known.

Slightly of tangent anyone interested in Dust 514 when it gets released?.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum