The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice re groove sharpener

+5
goldwolf
George1507
oldshanker
navyblueshorts
hend085
9 posters

Go down

Advice re groove sharpener Empty Advice re groove sharpener

Post by hend085 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:19 am

Hi All,
after playing 9 holes last night with my new lob wedge it got me thinking how much easier the game would be if all my wedges were that receptive! I carry a 56 degree and 50 degree wedge as well as the PW from my set. im fond of them all but they are getting on a bit. has anyone ever tried a product like this?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Golf-Groove-Sharpener-Any-Make-Irons-Wedges-/320730989963?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Golf_Accessories&hash=item4aad0e858b

hend085

Back to top Go down

Advice re groove sharpener Empty Re: Advice re groove sharpener

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

Yep. I have one but I'm not at all convinced that using it will allow grooves to remain legal. I have used it to remove some metal pushed into grooves because of bag chatter but I've yet to convince myself to use it to re-cut the grooves so they're sharp on my irons.

I have used it to re-cut the grooves on an old Ram SW I have and it worked very well. Not sure it improved the spin massively which I could get from a decent lie though. Maybe a bit.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

Yep - tried it on an old club and found it almost impossible to stay in the groove and stop at the end of the groove, when putting sufficient pressure on to make a difference.

I now have one gebuggered wedge with scratches all over it and the tool hasn't seen the light of day since. 🤦
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

I bought a groove sharpener a couple of weeks ago. I spent an afternoon scraping away on my old Ram wedges.

It's pretty tiring, it's also easy to scratch the ungrooved parts of your club, and it's very easy to slice your hands too.

I was surprised and impressed with the difference it's made though. Not so much on long shots, where the ball stopped pretty well anyway. It's the shots from just off the green and bunker shots where it's made a difference. I feel confident in hitting the ball a little harder now because I think it will stop. I seem to have eliminated the fluff caused by decelerating the club on short chips.

The one I bought was groove-sharpener.co.uk

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

thanks guys. seems like youve had the problems i was concerned about. nonetheless I think ill buy it but ill try it out on an old wedge thats sitting in the shed gathering rust!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

Just use a precision screwdriver!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

Or just buy new wedges every couple of years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

from my experience a couple of years is too long (obviously depends on how regular a player you are) I loose that initial zip after a few months. i was hoping that with this tool it might keep my wedges with that extra bite for a bit longer

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

Once read an article by Hank Haney stating 60 rounds is the life span of a wedge

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

Maverick wrote:Once read an article by Hank Haney stating 60 rounds is the life span of a wedge

Yikes!! I play on average twice a week, my wedges are nearly 11 years old steam

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

Maverick wrote:Once read an article by Hank Haney stating 60 rounds is the life span of a wedge

Must be true then. With respect to Haney, he's talking nonsense re. anyone who doesn't get them free. TBH, I'd like to see some Trackman data re. RPM with a new wedge and one that's, say, 100 rounds old from both a nice, tight lie and some light rough. Certainly never seen any figures quoted when this yarn about wedges gets aired. Any difference will be next to negligible for almost everyone, particularly from a decent lie.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

oldshanker wrote:Yep - tried it on an old club and found it almost impossible to stay in the groove and stop at the end of the groove, when putting sufficient pressure on to make a difference.

I now have one gebuggered wedge with scratches all over it and the tool hasn't seen the light of day since. 🤦

You haven't previously tried aforementioned tool on your putter by any chance Shanker laughing
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:09 pm

hend085 wrote:from my experience a couple of years is too long (obviously depends on how regular a player you are) I loose that initial zip after a few months. i was hoping that with this tool it might keep my wedges with that extra bite for a bit longer
years

I thought the same Hendo, but I thought I might be castigated by the fiscally challenged or for those who get offended on behalf of the financially challenged ( Rolling Eyes ) for suggesting that a new set every year might be a good idea. After all, you probably use them second only to putters as the most commonly used clubs.
I normally use the previous years wedges for practice to keep the grooves of my "a-team" fresh.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:31 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:
oldshanker wrote:Yep - tried it on an old club and found it almost impossible to stay in the groove and stop at the end of the groove, when putting sufficient pressure on to make a difference.

You haven't previously tried aforementioned tool on your putter by any chance Shanker laughing

Pots and kettles NST pots and kettles.

Whistle
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Must be true then. With respect to Haney, he's talking nonsense re. anyone who doesn't get them free. TBH, I'd like to see some Trackman data re. RPM with a new wedge and one that's, say, 100 rounds old from both a nice, tight lie and some light rough. Certainly never seen any figures quoted when this yarn about wedges gets aired. Any difference will be next to negligible for almost everyone, particularly from a decent lie.

I didn't say it was true did I! I believe I said i read
"Once read an article by Hank Haney stating 60 rounds is the life span of a wedge"

Never said it was true or believed it. It would also depend on the player using the wedge, and the amount of practice and balls beaten.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

Maverick wrote:I didn't say it was true did I!....Never said it was true or believed it. It would also depend on the player using the wedge, and the amount of practice and balls beaten.

Nah. I know you didn't say that. I just think the mythology surrounding wedge-wear is over-egged by OEMs and their ilk as (yet) another way for golfers to be parted from their cash. I don't buy that it makes much, if any, real-world difference.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

I think that with anything club wise, people should never believe the hype of it all whether it be the longest driver yet, the most forgiving irons ever or wedges last 60 rounds. It should always be what you feel is right for you and your game

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down