The golfers' Music Room

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty The golfers' Music Room

Post by Davie on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mac started a really good thread today and while I'm not as fussy about things going off topic as some people, it does seem a shame to drown out Mac's thread with music chat - so I think we'll have a music corner for us golfers (in addition to the forum-wide music section)

I know Kwini is keen on his music, often throwing musical references into his ballwasher topics (I remember one of his last efforts on the old site being entitled The Boys Are Back In Town, and the conversation going off into Thin Lizzy territory!

S_R (on the other thread) made a reference to "hating the Beatles" - discuss! Whistle

Davie

Posts : 7714
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Berkshire

Back to top Go down


The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:52 am

Go with the flow is just such a great song. I admit to a bit of excitement when Josh Homme read the cbeebies bed time story!

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:54 am

beninho wrote:Go with the flow is just such a great song. I admit to a bit of excitement  when Josh Homme read the cbeebies bed time story!

Why were you watching CBeebies?

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:05 am

Because I have children...obviously. what a funny question.

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am

I've never heard of Josh Homme.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am

beninho wrote:Go with the flow is just such a great song. I admit to a bit of excitement  when Josh Homme read the cbeebies bed time story!
Laugh Me too. I was wandering past the TV at the time and did a, sort of, Looney Tunes 'double-take' at the screen. Thought "That's Josh Homme reading CBeebies! Nah, can't be. Can it?". A few mins of Googling later and realised it was. How they got him to do that or knew he'd be up for it is beyond me.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8801
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am

Thought this was worth a re-visit:

navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8801
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am

Just a proper good rock song. That song is Brilliant! First it giveth is also great. I like this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3DLVLRpKtYc

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:07 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QKumqU52aM4

Another sign of Dave Grohls quality, drumming for the prodigy

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by McLaren on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 am

I guess hiring Grohl left no budget for the video?
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14828
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by pedro on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:42 pm

McLaren wrote:I guess hiring Grohl left no budget for the video?
Thought I was watching the latest Nordic Noir TV series...

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:25 pm



RIP Andrew Weatherall

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:52 am

How boring is the latest Bond theme? I didn't think things could get much worse after the awful Sam Smith one.
There's no doubt that Billie Eilish can sing (ridiculous zany glasses by the way), not to my taste but why does it have to be such a dirge?
Poor John Barry will be spinning in his grave. There's a fair chance that the dreariness of the song will reflect just how bad the Craig era has been.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by pedro on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:12 am

Yes the song is a bit boring.
But I don't agree the Craig era has been bad. Some excellent movies inbetween. Far better than the Dalton ones and even Brosnan.
However it hard to beat having grown up with Roger Moore and Connery.

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:21 am

Skyfall was alright as a film, Casino Royal wasn't too bad, but Quantum of Solace and Spectre are among the worst in the entire series.
Craig's films are like a poor man's Bourne, whilst Craig himself is too short, too ugly, too moody and too humourless to play Bond.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:47 pm

I think Craig has got better as they went on. The song, is a bit meh, though I don't dislike Eilish, and I generally like Marr.

I think live and let die is the best, though view to a kill and the living daylights were 80s highlights. I'm sure I'm missing some other decent ones. Ah Bassey!

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Hadn't realised Johnny Marr was involved. That's a bonus, especially if Zimmer is too.
I actually think Craig has been the worst Bond, two absolute stinkers and two very average films.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by McLaren on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Spectre was terrible. The worst kind of modern movies attempts at storytelling.

The best bonds are the Brosnan ones, the one with the media mogul is excellent and Goldeneye is easily the best bond of all time.

McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14828
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 pm

McLaren wrote:Spectre was terrible. The worst kind of modern movies attempts at storytelling.

The best bonds are the Brosnan ones, the one with the media mogul is excellent and Goldeneye is easily the best bond of all time.


Good grief Mac, we are agreeing far too much today. SPECTRE is absolutely terrible.
Goldeneye was probably the last proper Bond.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by McLaren on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Spectre just shat all over the whole Craig series. To insert some BS about a long lost step sibling (or whatever the german guy was) having controlled the events of all the previous Craig movies was so lame. And so clearly tagged on after the fact.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14828
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:39 pm

It was like a low budget film you see on Netflix or Channel 5, can't imagine the new one being any better, especially now its all PC and woke

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by pedro on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:27 pm

Fair enough. Spectre is the only Bond I haven’t seen. But IMO Casino Royale is one of the best post Moore Bonds.

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 am

pedro wrote:Fair enough. Spectre is the only Bond I haven’t seen. But IMO Casino Royale is one of the best post Moore Bonds.

Don't waste your time, it makes Moonraker look realistic.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by McLaren on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:04 am

If you are watching bond for realsim you might struggle to get into any of them.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14828
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

McLaren wrote:If you are watching bond for realsim you might struggle to get into any of them.

Not the point Mac, it was about the premise of SPECTRE being ridiculous.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by JAS on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 am

Of course the trouble is that Fleming only wrote a set number of books so the films now aren’t based on any book although they kind of use them a a reference point now and again. Even some of the films that were based on a book deviated a fair bit from the book, Diamonds are Forever for example

JAS

Posts : 3657
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 57
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by superflyweight on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 pm

The Spy Who Loved Me film is completely different from the novel - told from the perspective of a woman trapped in a motel with two gangsters during a storm. The books are a bit of a mixed bag, but From Russia with Love is genuinely great and I also liked Moonraker and Live and Let Die.

In terms of appearance and manner, Craig is probably closer to Fleming's description of Bond than anyone else who has played him (although Dalton captured his manner pretty well).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6588
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 pm

superflyweight wrote:The Spy Who Loved Me film is completely different from the novel - told from the perspective of a woman trapped in a motel with two gangsters during a storm.  The books are a bit of a mixed bag, but From Russia with Love is genuinely great and I also liked Moonraker and Live and Let Die.  

In terms of appearance and manner, Craig is probably closer to Fleming's description of Bond than anyone else who has played him (although Dalton captured his manner pretty well).  

Hardly, Fleming actually began writing his later books/stories on the basis of what he'd seen from Connery.
Bond was never short, blond and ugly in any of his books.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by superflyweight on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:00 pm

He's never described as being particularly good looking - just that women find something about him attractive.  

The hair colour is different, but then Bond is described as having blue/grey eyes and that wouldn't apply to Connery, Brosnan, Dalton, Moore, Niven and Lazenby.  

In terms of height, only Niven is closer to Bond's stated height (albeit the rest are too tall as opposed to being too small).  

As for manner, Craig is definitely closer than any of the others to how he's described in the books.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6588
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by Plunky on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Include me among the many women who find Daniel Craig attractive. Having said that, Sean Connery is James Bond, just as Roger Moore is The Saint. The others are all pale imitations of the real thing.

Plunky

Posts : 472
Join date : 2011-12-10
Age : 60
Location : Cape Cod

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:52 pm

super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:The Spy Who Loved Me film is completely different from the novel - told from the perspective of a woman trapped in a motel with two gangsters during a storm.  The books are a bit of a mixed bag, but From Russia with Love is genuinely great and I also liked Moonraker and Live and Let Die.  

In terms of appearance and manner, Craig is probably closer to Fleming's description of Bond than anyone else who has played him (although Dalton captured his manner pretty well).  

Hardly, Fleming actually began writing his later books/stories on the basis of what he'd seen from Connery.


Not really super, Fleming died only two years after the first Connery film was released; at least ten of the books upon which Bond films were "based" were in bookstores by then.

Always felt the Fleming books were mostly better than the film versions.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26224
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:The Spy Who Loved Me film is completely different from the novel - told from the perspective of a woman trapped in a motel with two gangsters during a storm.  The books are a bit of a mixed bag, but From Russia with Love is genuinely great and I also liked Moonraker and Live and Let Die.  

In terms of appearance and manner, Craig is probably closer to Fleming's description of Bond than anyone else who has played him (although Dalton captured his manner pretty well).  

Hardly, Fleming actually began writing his later books/stories on the basis of what he'd seen from Connery.


Not really super, Fleming died only two years after the first Connery film was released; at least ten of the books upon which Bond films were "based" were in bookstores by then.

Always felt the Fleming books were mostly better than the film versions.

Fair enough. There were some terrible Bond novels too though, Moonraker and The Man With the Golden Gun were terrible reads. The films were better.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:12 pm

Bill Withers dead.

Lovely day and Ain't no sunshine are both classics.

beninho

Posts : 4201
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 pm

beninho wrote:Bill Withers dead.

Lovely day and Ain't no sunshine are both classics.

Hadn't seen that, Leaning on the bar when the message should have been "Lean On Me".

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26224
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by super_realist Yesterday at 7:31 am

I thought he'd been dead at least 20 years to be fair.

super_realist

Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 19 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum