The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paris Saint Germain interesting in signing David Beckham

2 posters

Go down

Paris Saint Germain interesting in signing David Beckham Empty Paris Saint Germain interesting in signing David Beckham

Post by Crimey Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:49 pm

Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo has revealed he would like to bring David Beckham to the club. Leonardo told BBC Sport: "I coached him at AC Milan [where Beckham, 36, was loaned from MLS side LA Galaxy] and we created a good relationship. He is more than a football player, but when you see him every day he trains and plays like a kid. He is someone that I really appreciate and admire so much - his values and everything he has done in football."

When asked whether the Qatari-owned club would consider signing the former England captain, Leonardo said: "The door is open. He is more than a football player - he's a brand, a pop star. I would always consider him. He respects the rules, listens to you and wants the best for the team. That's why for me he is a big example. I worked with him and that's why I talk about his name."

PSG, who last won the French league title in 1994, were Europe's second biggest spenders in the summer transfer window, with an outlay of £75.6m - just £3m less than Manchester City. Former Brazil international Leonardo was hired by Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) to revamp the Ligue 1 club and in just two months the former AC Milan and Inter coach has used his extensive contacts to reshape the PSG squad.

Half of that £75.6m was used to buy Argentine star Javier Pastore, who credited Leonardo with persuading him to join the club. PSG spent six times more than French champions Lille, who brought in Liverpool's Joe Cole on loan.

Beckham's contract with LA Galaxy runs out at the end of the Major League Soccer season, but he has already been linked with Premier League clubs Spurs and QPR and he is keen to be a member of the Great Britain squad at the London Olympics next summer. As well as the recruitment of players, Leonardo spoke about the importance of creating a new brand for PSG to enable them to compete with Europe's top clubs in the Champions League.

"We have the Eiffel Tower in our club badge - we have to use that - it's not only French, but a worldwide brand," said Leonardo.

Former LA Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas has talked of the "incredible" impact Beckham's arrival in the United States in 2007 had on the MLS club in boosting shirt sales, sponsorship and appearance fees, as well as helping to make the Galaxy brand "international". Established in 2005 by the son of the Emir and heir to the Qatari throne - Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani - QSI has a five-year plan to turn the sleeping Parisian giants into a major European powerhouse. The club finished fourth in last season's Ligue 1 and qualified for the Europa League.

During the transfer window, PSG also tried to sign Dimitar Berbatov, Adel Taarabt, Samir Nasri and Brazilians Ganso and Neymar. Qatar is attempting to build on its controversial success in winning the right to host the 2022 World Cup. The Qatar Foundation last year signed a £126m sponsorship deal with Barcelona - a first for the Spanish champions and Champions League winners - while another member of the Qatari ruling family bought Spanish club Malaga last year.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14905667.stm

I still Beckham has what it takes to play at a high level, but PSG seem to want to sign him more for his brand than his footballing ability. I think Beckham should come back to England to finish his career, and he will be more respected by people if he came back to England to play for playing sakes, rather than making another Beckham brand move like his move to LA Galaxy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Paris Saint Germain interesting in signing David Beckham Empty Re: Paris Saint Germain interesting in signing David Beckham

Post by Derbyblue Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:10 am

I would be surprised if he chose to go to PSG, but then money talks and I can imagine it being enough to sway Beckham to move to France, it's part of what took him to America and unless he gets decent offers close to the level of what he is currently on from English teams I don't see why he would return (unless they're the only offers on the table).

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down