The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Catch

+2
Fists of Fury
Kenny
6 posters

Go down

Last Catch  Empty Last Catch

Post by Kenny Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:19 am

Thought it might be interesting just to have somewhere to post what you've been upto and what you've been catching ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Last Catch  Empty Re: Last Catch

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Unfortunately I've not been out for a while.

My last trip was to a small river in Wales, had a cracking day catching small but very lively Brown Trout, and some very decently sized Grayling, which are an absolutely beautiful fish, and put up a good scrap of their own.

That has to be my favourite type of fishing, the scenery and the quality of the fish there is fantastic.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

I had a couple of hours this morning with a light spinning rod at the local park lake (was suppose to be taking the dog for a walk ), great fun got a few bites and even landed a couple of jacks nothing big but a great way to spend an early morning just wished id had more time .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

Spinning for pike has always been a favourite of mine, the jacks put up a great scrap if nothing else.

Sounds like a morning well spent to me.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:17 am

5 carp to about 7/8 lbs on freelined crust, actually see the fish take the bait, happy days

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:54 am

Bet that was great fun wasn't it, sherm?

As I mentioned in another thread that is probably the most exciting way to fish for carp, seeing them appear, cruise toward your bait, suck it in and turn. All about timing the strike right.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Good evenings sport it has too be said, I have a tactic when freelining and striking, keep the line on the surface(bit of sweat or vaseline works) and when the bread goes i dont strike untill i see all the line is tightening, then lean in to the fish and i dont tend to miss many if any anymore.

(if im honest it`s not my trick but that off an old fella who just wanders around the lake, never seen him fish, but he has an opinion on everything, suspect all lakes have one)

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:52 pm

Sounds like a good days fishing , we have a old bloke who wanders around the local lake giving advice to anyone who will listen , never seen him with a rod but he knows everything .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:29 am

No fresh water fishing here at all, totally sea fishing.

Been out a few times this year, caught bass, mackerel, crab and lobster. Shame the weather couldn't have been as nice as previous years, but one can't complain.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

Last fish was a terrific 6lb brownie who was sitting in fairly still water at the edge of a mill pool. I managed to drop a daddy longlegs about 2' away from his head, which involved threading a cast of about 12 yards between some fairly leafy elderberry sapplings growing out of the old concrete footings of a long destroyed eel trap and some high reeds growing out of a small island. The fish went for the fly wonderfully directly and a tremendous tussle ensued when the fish swam into the main weir outlet and headed off down stream, for much of which my 5-yr-old son held the rod with look of steely determination.

The fish had gone back a bit from his peak, probably about 7lb 8oz or so because he had a huge tail and a big head in keeping with such a size, but he was sleek and strong rather than skinny and had a beautiful vivid colour. Despite being a stock fish his fins and tail were in beautiful undamaged shape, he could almost have passed for an old wild fish (my avatar hardly does him justice). Unusually for a brown trout in my experience the knuckle at the base of his tail was sufficiently pronounced to be able to hold him up like a salmon.

I sent a picture of him to a friend who was fishing elsewhere, and told me he had caught three salmon that morning between 12lbs and 21lbs.... jealous, moi?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Oct 2011, 10:55 am

That's a cracking size brownie, barrystar. Bet that put up a good scrap.

They're a lovely fish, brown trout, such vivid and intricate markings. One of my favourites, and I happily spend hours catching wild ones on the rivers, even though they're nowhere near that size. Great fun.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
They're a lovely fish, brown trout, such vivid and intricate markings. One of my favourites, and I happily spend hours catching wild ones on the rivers, even though they're nowhere near that size. Great fun.

I love them too. Sometimes we go loch fishing on the West Coast and you can fish in upto half a dozen lochs in a day - the fish from each loch can be really very different in marking and shape as well as size, and even the colour of flesh when you eat them. When I do that I'm v. happy with a 1/2lb fish (pb wild loch brownie is about 1 3/4lb).

I have fished for trout in the salt in one of the more exotic overseas locations I've been to and we were catching wild fish of around 4lb, but upto 9lbs for some lucky fishermen, in creeks and bays which were obviously sea-run browns - funnily enough they were not at all silvery like a UK sea trout, but had markings exactly like a normal freshwater brown. My goodness they would put up a fight.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

I bet!

Ah see I can't bring myself to taking fish like brown trout, far too nice and better off in the water, in my view!

I imagine the sport of it is fantastic, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Ah see I can't bring myself to taking fish like brown trout, far too nice and better off in the water, in my view!

We did not 'take' many of those fish from the salt, only those we needed to eat. That's my general rule; if I want to eat a game fish and it's otherwise allowed and sustainable and so on I'll take it. We tend to take the loch brownies because (i) we eat them and (ii) where we go they do pretty damn well on the breeding front and it's good management otherwise you end up up with masses of tiny ones that it's not worth fishing for - it's also pretty remote so they dont' get fished for much. I usually take stocked fish because by their very nature they are not in a natural environment that can support their size, especially over winter, and again I eat them, whether it be cooked, smoked, or in a pate. I used to have a girlfriend who thought catch and release utterly immoral - she thought that if you wanted to catch and kill a fish to eat it that was fair do's, but if you wanted to pull one around on a hook for sport before putting it back you should just leave it alone.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:54 am

That's a strange philosophy, surely putting the thing back is more moral than killing it! Haha.

By take I did mean eat, but even so it's not something I can bring myself to do!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:16 pm

I think she had a point actually - unless you are a vegetarian we all eat meat and fish and somebody needs to kill it, so why not combine your sport with your needs then you know where the fish has come from and you have been in control of such discomfort as is meted out to it? She accepts that because she is a meat/fish eater herself.

What she doesn't like is having fun at the expense of a fish's discomfort for no higher reason than having fun - then she thinks that we should just leave the fish alone period.

I like fishing too much to agree with her, and my argument is that those who enjoy fishing and do it responsibly are a powerful force for proper management of the natural environment, so the fish benefit as a class if not individually.

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

Agree 100% with your last sentence. Anglers have done an incredible amount for promoting the cleaning up of our rivers and waterways, and have helped other species thrive as well as fish as a result of that.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:41 am

Evening session on the river landbourne, had a 7lb pike in a little over 3ft of water, she was tail walking and jumping everywhere, and my mate blanked so couldn't of gone better for me.

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Sounds like a good nights fishing Sherm , really jealous
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

There is something quite exhilarating about playing such a fish in such shallow water. It really allows you to see and feel the fight.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:52 am

It is a lovely little river, full of pike trout and grayling, really need to learn to fly fish think it would be perfect there, there are miles of free fishing and you never see anyone fishing it

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:24 am

sherm wrote:It is a lovely little river, full of pike trout and grayling, really need to learn to fly fish think it would be perfect there, there are miles of free fishing and you never see anyone fishing it

You ought to - an experienced fisherman needs to take a very short time to work out what you need to do when you are casting (using the weight of the line to throw it out, not the weight of the lure, shooting line from slack held free of the reel rather than directly from the reel) and once you've begun to get that working you'll be away. If you feel you can afford it I would really recommend having one, maybe two, lessons when you start, which will start you off in good habits (my wife did from never having fished and she now has the basics - she doesn't do much but when she picks up a rod she can get a line out).

Fishing a fly is no more or less complicated than any other lure, just a bit different - in fact once you can cast passably fishing a dry fly is arguably the easiest type of fishing of all because you can see everything happing right there in front of you.

I would have thought the limitations imposed by the need for a back cast and the difficulties with casting a very long line, or a very short line, would be frustrating for someone used to using other tackle - but it should be another very enjoyable string to your bow.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:48 am

Grayling in particular are a fantastic fish to catch. They not only provide great sport given their muscular bodies but they have to be one of the most beautiful fish in the river - suppose they're not known as 'the lady of the stream' for nothing.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 18 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

grayling are lovely caught a few last year trotting maggot.
With regard to the fly fishing, I want to learn like you say another string to my bow, been recommended a place called sportfish in Theale Berkshire,, will have to contact them, must have a dozen rods as it is, so another fly rod wont hurt

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 18 Oct 2011, 3:46 pm

Yeah that's how I catch them, sherm. Their dorsal fin is something else, such vivid black and red to go with the bright silver body, they really do look fantastic.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 18 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm

living where i do, i think i might be spoilt, they are a fish a cast less then 1/2 a mile from me, beautiful fish

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

sherm wrote:grayling are lovely caught a few last year trotting maggot.
With regard to the fly fishing, I want to learn like you say another string to my bow, been recommended a place called sportfish in Theale Berkshire,, will have to contact them, must have a dozen rods as it is, so another fly rod wont hurt

Sportfish should know what they are doing - we went to a guy called Robin Elwes who was extremely good, charges the same as sportfish per hour, but he teaches from Syon Park in Brentford (or charges mileage to go further afield) so not as convenient for you. If you google his name you'll find his website. Good luck
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

Was at Magiscroft on Sunday, caught about 15-20 roach, caught from about 15.00 - 18.00, had been fishing since about 09.30. All got on the Maggot feeding a few freebies and some pellets with every cast. Seen a couple of nice Carp landed around the 3lb mark and couple of nice chub. Had something solid hooked right near the start on half a worm but felt it pull out straight away, certainly wasn't the little wriggling feeling i get from my little Roach buddies. The best Roach i had was about 1/2lb until around near the end when i hooked something bigger, i got myself all excitied as it was too heavy to pull out, peered over to see another Roach, but my personal best at probably just over 1lb 1/2. One day i will catch something other than a Roach, i can feel it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

At Magiscroft on a Saturday for a change and it paid off with my first Carp, little Common Carp about 2lb but we'll call it 2 and a half. Also caught the most fish i've ever caught in my life. Caught 50 - 60 easy, all were of course roach with a few Gudgeon, probably some ide in there but i'm not that good at telling the difference at the moment. Had some cracking Roach once i had fed and captured the little ones, must have had 10 - 20 really good Roach, great fight off some of them. Last few casts of the day when i hooked the carp, must have been in feeding on all the pellets i had been offering. I knew it wasn't a Roach straight away as it took off and didn't come up to the surface until it was in at the side, great stuff. We gave it another half hour after that then my mate started fishing beside me for the last few cast when he pulled out a Blue Orfe the same size as my Carp. Brilliant.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 15 Oct 2012, 4:33 pm

Had a day on the river last weekend. Grayling and wild brownies. And...just as importantly...it was t-shirt weather in October in Wales. Well I never!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down