The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing

5 posters

Go down

NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing Empty NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

From here, former Bulldog Ryan Tandy has been found guilty of "spot-fixing" by deliberately conceding a penalty to manipulate the 1st scoring play in a game vs North Queensland last August. Sentence is still to be decided.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing Empty Re: NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing

Post by ReallyReal Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

What an unscrupulous t!t, I hope for the long term future of the game those in charge send out the right message and give him a lifetime ban, at 30 it won't mean too much, but it will send the correct message to everyone, try a betting fix and that's it, your career is over.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing Empty Re: NRL: Ryan Tandy found guilty of match-fixing

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:20 pm

ReallyReal wrote:What an unscrupulous t!t, I hope for the long term future of the game those in charge send out the right message and give him a lifetime ban, at 30 it won't mean too much, but it will send the correct message to everyone, try a betting fix and that's it, your career is over.

Well said, I agree. I expect he'll get a short stretch of jail time given the scale of the attempted fraud too.

It'll be interesting to see how the Pakistan cricketers trial in the UK pans out too. Different sport, but very similar type of (alleged in the case of the cricketers) offending.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

I've somewhat lost track on this incident, But has John Elias been charged over this yet?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

Elias was charged in March apparently. No idea when it's due in court though.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:50 pm

Me thinks Elias needs a real good lawyer, and probably the sooner the better.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:05 am

Its a pity some other sports are not harsh as Rugby League on this type of thing. Sweep and carpet come to mind when i think of how some other sports would have dealt with this.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:26 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:Its a pity some other sports are not harsh as Rugby League on this type of thing. Sweep and carpet come to mind when i think of how some other sports would have dealt with this.

True.
It helps that betting in Aus and NZ is centrally run (Centrebet and the NZ TAB respectively) - the suspicious betting patterns were spotted pretty quickly. Cricket has issues because most of the betting is done through illegal bookmakers in India (where most gamlbing is banned) so it's harder to spot.

I'm guessing the various UK bookmakers correspond with each other if they spot unusual patterns in betting - there have been suspicions around tennis and snooker in the past.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

Dont remember him doing anything like this when he was at Hull KR , mind you he could just of easily bet on us losing and made a packet .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

Just an update on the case, Tandy got a $2500 (~£1500) fine!

When you compare that to jail time for the Pakistani cricketers ... (there's some debate down in the cricket section https://www.606v2.com/t15543p100-pakistan-spot-fixing-trial#645633 )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Just an update on the case, Tandy got a $2500 (~£1500) fine!

When you compare that to jail time for the Pakistani cricketers ... (there's some debate down in the cricket section https://www.606v2.com/t15543p100-pakistan-spot-fixing-trial#645633 )

That really isn't a punishment is it ? Especially as he was found guilty !
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 03 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:

That really isn't a punishment is it ? Especially as he was found guilty !

There was talk of a lifetime ban from RL, not sure if that's come through as yet.

But as far as court punishments go, slap on the wrist with a wet bus ticket.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

Hardly a punishment. Does anyone know how much he made from this?

Hope he does get a lifetime ban from all rugby, from Grassroots all the way up to professional!! He's should of got jail time as if any of us "ordinary" people did this we'd be charged with fraud

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 03 Nov 2011, 7:29 pm

I haven't read anywhere how much he was paid , but did read he place numerous bets himself .

It doesn't seem much of a punishment , lets hope he gets a life ban .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 03 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

the NRL cant send him to jail(where I think Elias will end up) but they can suspend him for a very long time,The whole comp and all other teams are the real victims here,especially the guys that have to go out and find sponsors and persuade them to invest in the game.
Thanks kiwi for spotting the conclusion to this part of the Tale.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:41 am

Lets not kid ourselves that other sports don't have the same problems. Perhaps they just cover them up better.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:

Lets not kid ourselves that other sports don't have the same problems. Perhaps they just cover them up better.

You're probably right that it's a problem across lots of sports.

The Tandy case was spotted because the NZ TAB and CentreBet in Aus noticed an unusual flurry of bets on the 1st scoring play option. From memory there was a tennis match at Wimbledon or Queens a year or 2 back that got spotted the same way (from memory I'm sure I heard somewhere that the major UK bookmakers share info on "unusual patterns"). Snooker has had it's issues (John Higgins) while there was also the flap about Rooney sr in football recently. And there's been plenty of suspicians around boxing and horse racing over the years.

Cricket's problem is that most betting on matches happens in India - where most gambling is illegal. Hence it's possible for fixers to influence a result, then spread bets around a host of illegal bookmakers, who don't share information with each other.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down