The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders

+13
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mike Selig
Corporalhumblebucket
msp83
Gregers
Mad for Chelsea
Stella
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
GG
JDizzle
Fists of Fury
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders - Page 2 Empty Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evening guys

On to the all-rounders now. Same format as usual, your top 10 in order, since the war.

Thanks

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders - Page 2 Empty Re: Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders

Post by guildfordbat Sun 16 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - I'm afraid I don't remember Goddard. I do have a limited memory of England v South Africa in 1965. The main thing that sticks in the mind is the radio commentators talking about the fielding of Colin Bland. And googling that series I see that Bland ran out my first cricketing hero Ken Barrington - for 91 (including a 6 Shocked )

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - but I would pick up on the suggestion of Mushtaq Muhammed for this list. Without checking the stats I have a recollection that his bowling was not all that special.

(I have now looked him up and he took 79 wickets in 57 tests.)

Corporal - I wouldn't die in a ditch over Mushtaq's selection but I would flag his test wickets were at an average of 29 runs each (his batting average was 39). In his autobiography, Mushy expressed resentment at Pakistan captain Intikhab Alam, our old Surrey friend, suggesting Inti bowled too much and denied him opportunities with the ball.

Barrington's 6 was more probably a run 2 and an overthrow for 4! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders - Page 2 Empty Re: Vote on your 10 greatest Test all-rounders

Post by Leff Wed 19 Oct 2011, 5:26 am

1. G Sobers
2. J Kallis
3. K Miller
4. Kapil Dev
5. S Pollock
6. I Botham
7. E Barlow
8. I Khan
9. V Mankad
10. T Goddard

Reserves: T Dexter, T Bailey, D Vettori, C Cairns, T Greig
If the OP had not restricted choices to post-war, Faulkner and Rhodes would have been in contention.

Last edited by Leff on Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

Vettori is a good one, that not many people would consider.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Are we done on this one?

This top 10 may not read as I first thought.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 20 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

vettori certainly one of the best in limited stuff- but is he in tests?

he could have been in a better side i suppose but overall id say quite abit down

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

have a look at his record mate, its very good with both bat and ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

Sobers
Kallis
Imran
Miller
Botham
Pollock
Kapil
Barlow
Mankad
Goddard

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:25 pm

i might change mine to put vettori in there to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 22 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

Any last min changes do them today as I'll be doing the results tomorrow folks.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i might change mine to put vettori in there to be honest.

i checked his stats out and averages of 34 with the ball and 17 with the bat odi- isnt really worthy enough

this test stats are somewhat better actually 30 with the bat and 31.5 with the ball.

i think the biggest problem with vettori esp in tests his batting average may be slightly scewed due to him batting at 8(i think) and he had a million and one not outs.

Not sure if the overall quality of NZ aids his stats or hinders his stats though

secondly in no form of the game does he have a batting average over his bowling average- and surely that is the holf grail for an allrounder-for instance lets just look at flintoffs stats- not even in most peoples top ten all rounders yet his stats are in a different league. 32 and 32 in test and 32 bat and 24 bowling in odi.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:17 pm

yh but it dosent matter what his odi stats are, as this is a test allrounders thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

doh fair point lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Feb 2020, 11:50 pm

guildfordbat wrote:My vote (and before you all complain I saw eight of them play and have met one of the other two!):

1. Sobers

2. Miller

3. Imran Khan

4. Procter

5. Botham

6. Kallis

7. Greig

8. Barlow (ok, JD!)

9. Benaud

10. Mushtaq Mohammed

Very honourable mentions to Mankad, Goddard, Flintoff, Dev and Bailey.

King Carlos - bumping this thread to show you are not alone. Mike Procter embraced star quality and would have excelled in any format in any era.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 06 Mar 2020, 7:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:My vote (and before you all complain I saw eight of them play and have met one of the other two!):

1. Sobers

2. Miller

3. Imran Khan

4. Procter

5. Botham

6. Kallis

7. Greig

8. Barlow (ok, JD!)

9. Benaud

10. Mushtaq Mohammed

Very honourable mentions to Mankad, Goddard, Flintoff, Dev and Bailey.

King Carlos - bumping this thread to show you are not alone. Mike Procter embraced star quality and would have excelled in any format in any era.

Just spotted this, guildford. Thanks for bringing it back up. An interesting thread and Proctor was indeed an incredible cricketer!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2