The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A foul-up

4 posters

Go down

A foul-up Empty A foul-up

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 13:28

Some days everything goes right and fishing seems easy. Other days you do everything right, but the fish aren't interested. Other days you screw it up.

Anyone want to share a screw-up?

I'll start with a minor one. It was a day when wind meant that you had sunlight followed by rain. Since I was dry-fly fishing and I needed to see the fish in the water I had to make the best of the sunlight. I was positioned under a tree and I had had some good luck (3 nice fish), but I was down to my last red wulff, the only fly they were taking any notice of. Out came the sun and within two casts I felt very smug at rising another - then as I struck I lost my balance, pulled the fly out of the fish's mouth into the tree (where it stayed), stepped back and slipped up on the meat pie I had been eating for my lunch whereupon the rain started again. I think in baseball that's called a triple play.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

A foul-up Empty Re: A foul-up

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 13:51

Laugh brilliant.

I suppose there are a few, though I've struggled to put a combination like that together!

Knocking over my bait box of maggots whilst coarse fishing.

Placing my recently deceased goldfish onto my set of treble hooks in the hope of luring a monster pike, only to see Freddy fly off the hooks upon casting. An unceremonious end.

Hooking (and landing) a duck whilst fishing with floating bread for carp.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 13:56

Worst for me is driving 50miles to my favourite pike lake(Broadlands) settin up then realising i`d forgot the pole for my bivvy, been the middle of febuary there was no way i would try brave the night ,,
Must say reading barrystars I did get a mental picture along the lines,, carry on fishing

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 14:04

I had another carry-on type accident in Scotland. I was teaching a friend how to fish down a small pool in a highland stream that was in very heavy spate. The river had overrun the bank, which had high tussocks. You could hop from tussock top to tussock top or wade carefully between them in the black and peaty water.

I looked back to my friend and motioned to him to step onto the tussock I was on and stepped down onto the bank at the same time.

The next thing I saw was his boot on top of the tussock. I had stepped into 5' of water and gone straight down like a pile driver. How he avoided falling off the tussock I don't know.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 14:29

Fists of Fury wrote:
Placing my recently deceased goldfish onto my set of treble hooks in the hope of luring a monster pike, only to see Freddy fly off the hooks upon casting. An unceremonious end.

That I like - although you had lined up an unceremonious end for him either way.

My Godmother's husband assures me that a mate of his tied a salmon fly from his wife's thatch hoping to cash in on the pheremones theory, and he caught fish with it.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 0:02

I've had a few , and they mostly revolve around that quiet time when the fish aren't biting and you decide to have your pack up only to then get a bite, drop your lovingly prepared sandwiches, kick over your flask, slip over sending one leg into your keepnet the other into the air while all the time trying to reach your rod and hook the fish !

I would add that these didn't all happen at the same time but you get my drift .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 0:11

I once hooked my mate in the arm , which was so funny .

We always have a little bet on who will catch the most/biggest fish so it gets a little competative .

Well we were spinning for pike on different sides of the river when we both saw the same fish and both tried to cast to it , his cast was great .......mine hit him Very Happy more speed less haste and all that .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 8:56

Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 22:15

I managed to hook a calf on the back cast. After that, I don't know how I did it, but I managed to arrange myself so that the line went from the rod in front of me under my legs to the calf behind me, so when it took off the rod was pointing forward at the handle and bent double with the tip pretty much coming back under my legs and a calf dashing about on the other end behind me. I managed to step back over the rod and face it directly at my catch to avoid breaking it, but the fly was a goner.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down