The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Enthusiasm Thread

+32
incontinentia
George1507
SmithersJones
hend085
raycastleunited
ralphjohn69
BlueCoverman
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
navyblueshorts
Fader
kwinigolfer
Diggers
Skydriver
1GrumpyGolfer
Sand
lorus59
number1hacker
TM2K
dynamark
super_realist
liegerwoods
Mary
Doon the Water
Davie
Redrage
No1yankee
Maverick
drive4show
Eyetoldyouso
Doc
McLaren
barragan
36 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Enthusiasm Thread Empty The Enthusiasm Thread

Post by barragan Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:51 pm

In these gloomy times [boggin winter about to set in etc.], I thought it would be nice to have a thread about golf related things we are enthusiastic about.

I've just been invited to play at a little course called Kilspindie on Thursday, and i'm feeling very enthusiastic at the prospect - in fact, I cannae wait! I've never played it before, but have not heard a bad word against the place:

www.kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk

So, what's gettin the thusiasmos spinning with thee?

barragan

Back to top Go down

The Enthusiasm Thread Empty Re: The Enthusiasm Thread

Post by McLaren Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:58 pm

I love Killspindie and will post some photo's of the place later.

I wish I was playing there instead of stuck in work and look forward to hearing how you find it. Do not be fooled by the yardage on the scorecard as there is plenty of fun to be had in completing what yardage it has.

I think I need to plan a trip to the coast sometime so I have something to look forward to.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:05 pm

I've got a session booked with a top fitter, who's just started business in my area. He's recently left the Adams tour van and has built clubs for many top players, including Langer, Watson, Daley and more. I'm booked in for a week on Saturday and feel guilty, because I already have a great fitter, but need to travel to see him. This bloke has all the latest techy launch monitor kit with huge screen, a massive place with indoor 6-bay nets, indoor putting green and as much new equipment as you can shake a stick at. he also gets first dabs on new trick shafts as a tester. Obviously he has plenty of contacts from the main OEM's as he's been around the ET and PGA tours for years. So really looking forward to this.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm

cheers mac - despite being a fairly 'long hitter', i grew up playing a lovely but extremely tricky wee 5800 yarder up north. so kilspindie will probably feel like home - looks stunning on the website.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Doc

Is that Nick Hibbs at TourX in Warrington? If so I went to see him 2 weeks ago about a custom fit driver.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 pm

It's about this time of year that I sit down and start to plan my playing schedule for next year (Ooooh get me sounding just like a tour pro Wink ) I need to have a sit down with a few mates and decide which opens we are going to play and also which week away we are going for. This year was the Tassie, year before was the Coast of Down. There are a couple of options so we have to decide which to go for, the Wirral Classic is my preferred choice for next year.

I'm also 99% certain to buy new clubs this winter so I need to decide which models to demo and then book a proper fitting once I make up my mind.

Adds a bit of interest to the long dark nights Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:Doc

Is that Nick Hibbs at TourX in Warrington? If so I went to see him 2 weeks ago about a custom fit driver.

Yes it is mate, what did you think?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Very nice guy, very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. What I particularly liked was that he wasn't pushy in any way whatsoever. I never actually felt that that he was trying to sell me something and indeed, I left with the same driver I went with.
I also learnt what seemed to be the best type of driver for me and he even suggested I could buy one off the shelf which he will change to suit ie shorten slightly and thinner grip.
I arranged to visit him again after working on a few swing changes so will probably go back mid December or so.

Let me know how you get on.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I love this time of year (bit weird I know) but this is when I really get tow rok on my game as were out of the official playing season. So I look back over my season see where needs to most work and set to put it right whilst fine tuning all other areas of the game.

Like D4S its also when I look at next years playing schedule(how very tour pro and poncey) but I'll look at what scratch comps I want to play in at away courses. Also where I want to go away to play golf and what golf I can squeeze into business trips.

I'm still working on what scratch comps, but the schedule for getting away next year stands at South Africa, booking up to play Fancourt and see where else is good. Taking the clubs on family hols to Bulgaria and got a week in Ireland over the August bank hols.

Work wise returning to Doral resort so take the clubs there and got some work in NY next year so will take the clubs there to as well as visitning Yankee stadium and a Jets game.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:23 pm

When I first looked at the name of the thread I thought it said euthanasia

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:27 pm

ban bam

Here are some Kilspindie photos in no particular order.
Spoiler:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Kilspindie looks great, I played Powfoot Golf Club recently a nice little links in Dumfriess and Galloway.

http://www.powfootgolfclub.com/

I love an away day to a links at this time of year, splatting around a parkland course really does curb your enthusiasm at this time of year.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Mav

If you are going down to SA next year and playing Fancourt, I'd recommend heading back towards Cape Town and playing Hermanus and Arrabella. If you are going down there about this time next year (their Spring) you'll get to see the whales in Hermanus Bay, worth the trip on it's own plus it's also good golfing weather Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Maverick wrote:I love this time of year (bit weird I know) but this is when I really get tow rok on my game as were out of the official playing season.

I'd love to get tow rok on my game - he sounds like some sort of wicked golfing ninja master tutor!

(sorry Mav - couldn't resist - things seem to have been getting far too serious around here the last day or two)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 pm

He's my own Mr Miyagi knows the secrets to the path of golfing enlightenment! And apparently its Divorce!!!! Haha

D4S cheers mate will look onto that

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Maverick wrote:...the secrets to the path of golfing enlightenment! And apparently its Divorce!!!!

Didn't work for me though I know I certainly enjoy my games a helluva lot better without having to explain my many hours of absence Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Ban bam
You will enjoy Kilspindie, 2nd hole is a classic.
An old friend of mine used to be the Secretary there.
It is short, but do not treat it with disrespect or it will bite yer bum.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:38 am

thanks mac, those pics look fantastic - i honestly can't remember the last time i was looking forward to a game, at a course new to me, as much as tomorrows!

doon, i'll do my best to protect my behind!

any tips / local knowledge from either of you, of shots to avoid / go for?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

On the first hole if the pin is on the right hand side of the green behind the two bunkers on the right hand side of the hole there is no need to go for the pin. A ball landing in line with the bunkers short and left of the green, hit with a running trajectory, will roll left to right and towards the pin.

On the second hole I seem to remember the green has two quite distinct levels and it is important to get on the same level as the pin. I just remember facing a very tough putt back towards the front of the green from the back and finding it tough coming down from one level to another.

On the 8th hole, the par three which cuts across the beach do not be scared to bail out or take plenty of club. I have been on the beach in amongst the rock pools and it is not an easy recovery. If the wind is blowing of your left be happy with a four despite the length of the hole.

A bit of general advice is to make sure you avoid the bunkers on the shorter par 4’s, this may seem obvious but it is harder than you think to overcome the temptation to hit driver and get as close to the green as possible. A good example of this is the 6th, which has often been down wind when I have played it, which runs back towards the water with the cockenzie power station in the background. Many a time I have wished I had taken an iron from the tee and had a chance at getting close instead of coming sideways out of a bunker.

This does hit on a point which is that no matter the length of the course if the bunker and features utilized in the design provide subtleties and interest then you have to think about where you place the ball on every shot. It could be something as simple as feeling comfortable with your stance for the second shot on a tight hole like 4th at Kilspindie. You will be playing to a tight exposed green where the wind could be playing real havoc with your ball.

Not really advice as such but look out for the interest the par 3’s will provide, they are all quite different and will be one of the highlights of the day.

Oh, and the holes hugging the coast are a lot more beautiful than those hugging the coast at pebble beach. It is odd I say that given one has a view of gorgeous cypress trees and an untamed ocean and the other a view across the bay to Kirkcaldy.

If you get the chance I wouldn’t mind seeing some photos of the course at this time of year as I don’t think I have played it past September before.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:31 am

thanks mac - i've printed out a wee course guide so i can decide on a bunker avoiding strategy on each tee.

i'll pack my camera - and will hopefully remember to take some shots. i'll need to email them to you though as i've no idea how to upload photos onto the site.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:50 pm

One thing I get enthusiastic about at this time of year is the course becoming quieter, as all the fair weather golfers knock it on the head for the next 5 or 6 months. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to consolidating my handicap, so that I can drop a few shots once the better weather and course conditions return in the Spring.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 am

Mary, Mrs Doc was trying to do the same thing last winter, and was beating herself up for not playing to her handicap. I told her to relax and enjoy it, because in soft, wet conditions and dodgy winter greens, she couldn't do it. BUT once the sun comes back out, and the fairways fim up, she would see the benefit of playing through the winter. The work she put in would show she was actually hitting the ball further and hitting more fairways etc. I was proved right, and she came down by 4 shots this year. She could see the improvement straight away in her first medal of the season, which she won. Ladies who can brave the weather through the winter, will reap the rewards .... OK

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 am

i have a few winter projects this year.

1. to regrip my clubs myself
2.to finish my garage conversion...wich will include indoor putting green
3.install a practice nett in the garden. i need to get a few swings in before a round now.

but first i need to get the hallway decorated (the wifes instructions) before i can even think obout my golf related projects !

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:42 am

Lieger that is one of the coolest ideas ever to build an indoor putting green in your garage. Can I ask what you are going to use as the putting surface?

If I ever get a house with a garage that is an idea I will be sure to copy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 am

http://www.europeangolf.co.uk/

Just requested a brochure from this company. Anyone with a garage should have one.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:13 pm

I don't think Doak would rate them very much Mac

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Maybe not super but is his putting any good?

I wonder if they do bumpy, pitch marked and covered in discarded needles version to recreate the muni green feel?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:28 pm

or crusty and bumpy like the back of a digestive biscuit just like TOC is somedays.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Chris Wood has one in his living room!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Mary wrote:Chris Wood has one in his living room!

no girlfriend then?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Maybe not - exert from his blog:-

"I can also keep the short game ticking over when it’s dark and raining outside using my chipping matt I got from europeangolf.co.uk, chipping on to my indoor green. With the football on in the background my lounge is set up just about perfectly. How many blokes could get away with that set up in their living room?"
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:18 pm

I'd need to put crash mats all round the skirting board to prevent the skulled chips breaking stuff Crying or Very sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Super

You never seem to have a girlfriend, how come you don’t have a putting green in your living room?

I think mcilroys parents put one in their back garden when he was a kid to help him practice. I wonder if Mav will be installing one for mavette?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Mac, you could have a blimmin bunker in your bedroom if you wanted, nae danger of the sand getting wet.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Always look forward to the Xmas texas scamble shotgun start.Good get together with all the regulars.After that I look forward to 10 days hols when I can get work done on the house recharge and play a bit of weekday golf.Next date to look forward to is clocks change at end of March and the new season

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Super

I have no idea what that means but it made me chuckle.

Has anyone played on one of these synthetic putting greens?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Mac

There used to be a course down here in Dorset that had astroturf greens, I believe they have been swapped out now for grass. Never played it but apparently it was like landing on concrete with huge unpredictable bounces on every shot.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Mac
I remember going to a meeting at Silvermere once in the 1980s.
It was dark when we came out and they had a floodlit putting green which my HGK said was synthetic grass [it did look like it].
He was a bit miffed when I pointed out the synthetic daisy.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:31 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I have no idea what that means but it made me chuckle.

Has anyone played on one of these synthetic putting greens?

Made me laugh too!

As for the synthetic greens, I often practiced on one installed for the golf team at Stirling Uni. They are excellent, lightning quick. Theirs is outside and has 6-8 positions in it, you'd need a large double garage to fit theirs in.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:04 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

You never seem to have a girlfriend, how come you don’t have a putting green in your living room?

I think mcilroys parents put one in their back garden when he was a kid to help him practice. I wonder if Mav will be installing one for mavette?

Funny you should mention this Mac, but after watching the Documentary thing about McIlroy on the beeb couple months back, the Mrs actually said it'd be an idea to put something in like this for mavette (of course I said great idea she could practice whenever she wants whilst secretly thinking I could too)

Was looking at a few places to maybe see what costs are involved, so appreciate the link for europeangolf.com have requested a brochure. Have been thinking about putting up an indoor next area in the garage, and could also put in a small green and bunker area dependant on costs. The great thing is the Mrs is up for it as it's for Mavette development Whistle whilst I get to use it as a bonus...

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:50 pm

McLaren wrote:Lieger that is one of the coolest ideas ever to build an indoor putting green in your garage. Can I ask what you are going to use as the putting surface?

If I ever get a house with a garage that is an idea I will be sure to copy.

mac i was intending to just use green carpet tiles as it will double up as a sports bar....well mainly golf perving area.

the eurpean golf stuff looks great but its a bit too pricey for my liking.

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:48 am

Some serious grain on those carpet tiles

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:47 am

A fairly bright and breezy day down on the East Lothian coast yesterday and a first encounter with a course which I'm certain will be subject to many more return trips from me in the future!

Kilspindie was a fantastic experience. The combination of a testing wind and intricate green and fairway complexes making for a really fun challenge.

The course was in excellent condition, other than the greens which had received a light tining. This only really affected putts from inside around 4 feet though.

Generally pleased with the way I played. My driving was good, and my iron play very solid. In particular I enjoyed re-visiting the little 5iron punch shot from 130 yards to great effect on a few occasions, setting up good birdie opportunities on 3, 4, 7 with that very shot, though on the 8th I found the beach after underestimating the strength of the crosswind. 2nd attempt finished 5 feet away though so still had a bit of a buzz arriving at the turn despite having dropped shots on 1, 3 (both 3putts), 6, and two on 8 due to the lost ball.

I tightened up my game on the back nine, just making one error on the 12th to drop a shot, but otherwise hitting every fairway and GIR. I was disappointed not to pick up any birdies, especially after a few terrific approach shots to close range - but it was one of those days where the putts were just not dropping.

All said, it was a really enjoyable experience and one I hope to revisit a few more times though the winter.

Spoiler:

Last edited by ban_bam on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:03 am

P.s - Mac, I got a few photo's of some of the early holes at Kilspindie. Nothing special as we were being pushed by a 4ball behind us so I was a little rushed, but pm me your email address if you'd like me to forward them to you - feel free to post one or two of them on here - I've no idea how to do it myself.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:36 am

Maverick wrote:I love this time of year (bit weird I know) but this is when I really get tow rok on my game as were out of the official playing season. So I look back over my season see where needs to most work and set to put it right whilst fine tuning all other areas of the game.

Like D4S its also when I look at next years playing schedule(how very tour pro and poncey) but I'll look at what scratch comps I want to play in at away courses. Also where I want to go away to play golf and what golf I can squeeze into business trips.

I'm still working on what scratch comps, but the schedule for getting away next year stands at South Africa, booking up to play Fancourt and see where else is good. Taking the clubs on family hols to Bulgaria and got a week in Ireland over the August bank hols.

Work wise returning to Doral resort so take the clubs there and got some work in NY next year so will take the clubs there to as well as visitning Yankee stadium and a Jets game.

Mav,

You will love SA for golf. I have been to Fancourt a number of times and would rate it as good as any golf resort I have been to. Not sure what golf you have booked or how long you are there for but you must try and get a game at The Links while you are there. I am going in January and cannot wait, get to play it just before it closes before the tour event there so it should be in great nick. If you want any other pointers on where to play give me a shout.

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Kilspindie pics [Thanks for the pm Davie!]

Spoiler:

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Good work bb - told you it was easy Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:21 pm

ban_bam

Glad to hear you enjoyed Kilspindie and great to see some nice pics of the course.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

ban_bam wrote:In these gloomy times [boggin winter about to set in etc.], I thought it would be nice to have a thread about golf related things we are enthusiastic about.

I've just been invited to play at a little course called Kilspindie on Thursday, and i'm feeling very enthusiastic at the prospect - in fact, I cannae wait! I've never played it before, but have not heard a bad word against the place:

www.kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk

So, what's gettin the thusiasmos spinning with thee?

2nd trip down to Kilspindie this morning - what a treat. Bitterly cold for our 9am tee off - but with only a very gentle 1-club wind the whole way round and the sun coming out on the 6th, it was really a good day to be on the golf course!

Scoring wise: a couple of nice up and downs from greenside on the first and 40 yards on the 3rd meant 3 pars to start. Disappointing 4th hole, a poor shot put me on the embankment down to the rock pools, and I stupidly thought I could advance it up 50 yards rather than dropping sideways led to a triple bogey (inc a three putt). Great tee shot with my 3wood on the short 290 yard 5th set up a 30ft eagle attempt which I three putted. Managed to three putt the 6th from the same range and missed the green on 7 meaning +5 when reaching the 8th tee. From then on it was plain sailing, started striking the ball really well (with the exception of my driver and 3 wood), and set up numerous birdie chances coming in the last 11 holes (knocked in 2) to get back to +3 and a respectable 72 - which i was delighted about having thrown away 4 shots from 4-6. Still not enough to take the money as one of our group carded an 82 nett 58 for 47pts, including an eagle 2 on the last!!

Anyway, my venture East has got me really enthusiastic about heading up North next weekend for a week over Christmas. I cannot wait to hit the links of F&R - so much more enjoyable than parkland at this time of year - all my fingers and toes are crossed for the snow to stay away!!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Ban

I am quite envious reading about your exploits at Kilspindie, looking out the window at work earlier it looked like a very bright and pleasant day down the coast.

Can I ask how much a round costs at this time of year as I might think about playing a winter round there if possible?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next