The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bbc to drop f1 from 2014

+3
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
ADMIN
Fernando
7 posters

Go down

bbc to drop f1 from 2014 Empty bbc to drop f1 from 2014

Post by Fernando Fri 11 Mar 2011, 9:17 pm

BBC bosses have identified abandoning coverage of Formula One and Wimbledon as one way of saving money to help the broadcaster contend with the frozen licence fee settlement imposed last autumn.

Senior managers drawing up cost-saving options have alighted on the £40m-a-year motor racing deal and the long-running tennis coverage as ways in which the BBC could help achieve a £600m annual saving targeted for 2014.

Formula One, although helped by the popularity of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, is not peak-time programming, and as a result is viewed as a relatively expensive part of the sports schedule. Having been on ITV as recently as 2008, the sport is not seen as a mainstay of the BBC calendar.

Dropping Wimbledon, seen as a quintessentially BBC event, is also under consideration, although that would be a controversial move. The BBC has broadcast the event since 1937, and the close relationship between the All England Club and the broadcaster means the exact cost of the rights is barely known outside a handful of people.

"Wimbledon costs tens of millions, and is a very expensive contract, and costly to cover. No one is saying, definitely exit, but it is being looked at. Or perhaps, goes the thinking, this is a contract that could be shared with another broadcaster," said one well-placed BBC insider.

However, it would not be easy for the BBC to make a quick move to drop either sport, as both contracts run until 2014. Overall, the BBC spends about £300m a year on sport, although costs vary significantly if there is a major event – in particular the Olympics or the World Cup.

With the broadcaster under pressure to cut 20% from its budgets by 2014, sport will need to save an estimated £60m. However, it is understood that the BBC would strive to protect football coverage, because of its appeal and the peak-time programming it provides, even though the cost of football presenters – such as Gary Lineker, who earns somewhere over £1m a year – is high.

The survey of the sports department was touched on by the incoming BBC Trust chairman, Lord Patten, when he was vetted by the culture, media and sport select parliamentary committee on Wednesday. He warned "all hell will break loose" when decisions are unveiled.

Late on Thursday it emerged that the BBC was also looking at cutting huge swaths of programming from its 40 local radio stations. Only the breakfast and drivetime shows would be retained, with the rest of the output replaced by content from rolling news and sport station BBC Radio 5 Live.

The BBC's English regions controller, David Holdsworth, said on Friday that no decisions had been taken but warned staff to be realistic about what sort of service the corporation could provide in the wake of the impending budget cuts. "The BBC is going through a fundamental assessment of what it needs to do to maintain quality, audience trust and fulfil our purposes but with significantly less money," he said in an email to all local radio staff.

The BBC may also make savings by cutting back regional network television made specifically for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and English regions, particularly on BBC2. One programme thought to be at risk is the Scottish soap River City, which has not found an audience outside Scotland.

Cuts to regional programming would be controversial away from London, particularly as ITV has reduced its spending.

A BBC spokesman said: "We are looking at a range of ideas and it would be wrong to comment on what is speculation."

if it goes to itv i will cry Crying or Very sad

where should it go if dropped and are bbc making a big mistake?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

bbc to drop f1 from 2014 Empty Re: bbc to drop f1 from 2014

Post by Guest Sat 12 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm

unfortunately like the rest of us the corporate organisations are feeling the pull of the credit crunch. Its been a long time coming. With the BBC cutting back on their online stuff and now this it makes you wonder how this will affect the general public.

I for one dont want to see F1 or Wimbledon on ITV. Not just because of the adverts (although that is really annoying mid race) but BBC tend to put on a better show and the history of wimbledon on BBC speaks volumes.

Its still a few years away yet, maybes something can be done before 2014.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sun 13 Mar 2011, 1:15 am

Wimbledon I can see working on ITV, there's obvious breaks for adverts in it.

But F1 was shocking on ITV, the coverage that the Beeb put out I really enjoy.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:12 pm

Controversial - but it BBC gives up either, I'd opt for Sky Sports.

ITV simply cannot put on a sports show of any quality whatsoever.

I hope BBC gives away neither, particularly the F1. Great team, and great coverage.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:13 pm

I'd like to see F1 on Channel 4, they'd do a good job.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 14 Mar 2011, 9:36 pm

Sad news and i agree that it cannot go back to ITV, they don't seem to have any respect for sport, adverts during a race is just plain wrong, i know some of the races are long and there's no natural breaks but it's just greed. You wouldn't expect adverts to come on halfway through the first half of the footy or halfway through the round of a boxing match.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Tue 15 Mar 2011, 12:21 am

I think it is a great shame that the BBC are considering (read 'likely to do') this.

Since taking over F1 coverage from ITV, they have done a wonderful job; albeit with a weak link. And now that the only real weak link in their 'team' has been removed, I feel that we are in for a treat; at least with regard to coverage. It is sad then that we are likely to lose such a quality act. I make no exceptions when I say that this is genuinely the best coverage of Formula 1 in the world. and I would therefore urge that they reconsider their own pricing structure when selling it to other countries. (This entails virtually all of the English speaking world).

So BBC: put your prices up internationally if you are restricted at home!

Last edited by cosicave on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error in punctuation!)
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by pob Tue 15 Mar 2011, 2:05 pm

I think it's just posturing so the licence fee is taken away or reduced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyperupdate Mon 21 Mar 2011, 5:37 pm

This is the one event that the BBC treats really well. They should give away things like motogp instead because they don't cover it very good anymore Smile

Hyperupdate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down