The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King kenny - Mid-term report.

+11
marty2086
liverbnz
JDLFC
Kay Fabe
Fernando
monzon
spencerclarke
jro786
Crimey
Diggers
LivinginItaly
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

King kenny - Mid-term report. Empty King kenny - Mid-term report.

Post by LivinginItaly Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:10 am

As we near the halfway point of the season, I am interested to hear your thoughts and comments on Kenny Dalglish's progress at Liverpool. It will be interesting to compare opinions from supporters of Liverpool and other teams, as undoubtedly we reds can be a bit biased at times.

To me he will always be the king, but is he the right person for Liverpool now?

Has the team made as much progress as expected?

I have been generally happy with our performances against the bigger teams. But we still seem to have a problem beating the smaller teams, which has resulted in dropping points that we shouldn't be.

Given that my expectations are to qualify for the champions league this season, it could be argued that we are just about making enough progress, however, the dropped points are a concern.

What about the tactics and the style of play? Which signings have been good / bad?

What do you think Liverpool will achieve this season? Will that constitute a successful season?

Long live the King!

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

King kenny - Mid-term report. Empty Re: King kenny - Mid-term report.

Post by Diggers Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

Probably a B- from me. Some dubious signings, at least for how much was paid. Also been whinging a bit too much this season, cant really remember if he used to be as bad as he is now.
But some some good results as well so certainly not a disaster. To be honest where they are in teh league is about where I would expect them to finish, any higher is a bonus and any lower poor.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:11 pm

I think he's been good so far, we certainly haven't got any more problems than we had before he came. We have struggled to get the right amount of points against smaller teams for a few years now, but at least under Dalglish we have been a lot more unlucky, rather than just not being good enough.

I think Luis Suarez, Charlie Adam and Jose Enrique have all filled spots we have struggled with for the last few years. Suarez is a guy who can create chances from no where, Charlie Adam is a good replacement for Alonso, not that he's as good as Alonso, but he is doing a sound job, and Jose Enrique has filled the problem spot of left back superbly. Craig Bellamy has looked like a very astute free signing.

I think Downing has been an alright signing, a bit inconsistent, but I think once he settles in a bit more he'll improve quickly. I really wasn't impressed by Henderson at the beginning of the season but he's growing on me, he looks a lot more convincing in the centre of midfield. Carroll, well we talk enough about him. I still have faith that he can come good though, and he's hardly worse than Torres!

I think we're playing the best football that we have since the 08-09 season, we pass the ball around really nicely and have set up some lovely chances, usually through Suarez. I'm glad that Kenny has took the tough decision in dropping Carragher as it seems to have paid off. Agger is awesome as usual and is keeping fit, and Skrtel has improved nearly as much as Lucas over the past year, his run in the first team has given him so much confidence.

I think there are obviously still flaws, but I think they are much more tacklable flaws than say those of Chelsea, Manchester United or Arsenal which is a real positive. I am hoping to see a new striker in the club soon and maybe a natural right winger.

The future looks really bright under Kenny though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:55 am

i'll judge in may
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

im not a liverpool fan, but i think the only thing he has done wrong is, spending all that money on carroll.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:40 pm

Im a united fan and think there have been positives and negatives to look at

Positive is the signings of Suarez and Enrique, both really good players

You're creating a heck of alot of chances and it will only be a matter of time before your play starts to pay off

Only negative for me would be your home form which is really strange (apologies if I'm not, but would I right saying youre form is better away from anfield?) but I reckon that also ties in to what I mention above about not taking the chances you create. You played us off the park when we met earlier in the season yet we still come away with a point

I don't class the money you spent on Carroll as a negative, although it was an awful lot of money, it was clever on Newcastles part to hold you to ransom. I won't be too quick to write off a young player who hasn't even been at the club 12 months

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:30 pm

Has obviously improved but considering the £100m + budget he has used surely the progress should be better. Poor goal scoring ratio this season would be the biggest critism

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm

Home form is very strange, we create a huge amount of chances but just don't put them away. We have been very unfortunate in that, although it sounds like a poor excuse, in quite a lot of our home games the keeper has weirdly played amazingly well, the games against Swansea and Norwich stand out as examples of that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:34 pm

Swansea keeper apperas to have been outstanding throughout so far!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sat 17 Dec 2011, 8:51 pm

I really don't think they've improved under him. If Hodgson was still in charge they'd finish somewhere between 5th and 7th, as they will under Dalglish. If that's good enough for their supporters, then that's a bit unfortunate.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 17 Dec 2011, 9:31 pm

I don't think under Hodgson we would finish there at all, when Dalglish took over we were 12th and you couldn't really see any positives, now we're playing good football with a lot more talent in the squad and I think turn a few draws into wins and hopefully we'll keep it up the table.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm

I think under Hodgson Andy Carroll would actually be a better then he is now as he like's a big man up front eg. Zamora and now shane long

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:51 pm

Shane Long's pretty small to be honest.

I don't think anybody in our team would be better under Hodgson.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:35 am

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I don't think under Hodgson we would finish there at all, when Dalglish took over we were 12th and you couldn't really see any positives, now we're playing good football with a lot more talent in the squad and I think turn a few draws into wins and hopefully we'll keep it up the table.

I'm not sure Liverpool are playing good football, to be honest, but i guess that's all subjective.

From the outside looking in, it looks very much like someone plugging holes in a worn bucket. The defence has improved, which is often the basis of a good side. This is largely down to the fact that Dalglish has realised Carragher's past his best. Enrique's a fine player, probably the best left-back in the league. Agger's now amongst the five or six best players in his position in the country. Skrtel's probably not the long-term answer, but he's done okay.

Lucas has made huge strides, and Adam has started to justify his fee, but it's wide where Liverpool need to improve. Maxi and Kuyt can fill in there and do okay, but Downing was never a £20m player, and Henderson isn't a natural wide player.

Liverpool and Dalglish took a huge gamble on Carroll. It hasn't paid off, and i doubt it will. Even if he found form and finished the season with 10-15 goals, he'll never justify that fee, and just because Kenny's an Anfield icon it shouldn't excuse such an awful, awful piece of business. He's been given £100m+ to spend this calendar year, and the improvement's been marginal at best.

It's often easy to criticise things with hindsight, but did anyone, even at the time, think spending £75m on a trio of unremarkable North-East players was a good idea?

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:38 am

spencerclarke wrote:Has obviously improved but considering the £100m + budget he has used surely the progress should be better. Poor goal scoring ratio this season would be the biggest critism

It's ok to just look at the money spent but he must have brought in about £65m so his outlay isn't as mind boggling as first appears, plus due to the nature the ruling about home grown talent, prices for young English guys is through the roof, from the money he's spent £75m on three of them which wasn't his wisest move

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JDLFC Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:55 am

LFC fan for years, but unlike most, a realist!

I can see that we really are going nowhere; we probably will finish top six, but what I ask of my fellow supporters is, if Roy was in charge and he had spent £100m on Carroll, Dopwning, Adam, Henderson and Enrique, would we be so accepting?

Yes I love the KING, but is the only good thing from him the fact that he realsies 0carragher is finished?

Thoughts

JDLFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:01 am

I think considering the rising teams of Tottenham and Manchester City, the top four place is a much harder thing to guarantee. We are in a rebuilding phase at the moment, and I am willing to give time for the new signings to settle and for us to continue to rebuild.

I think while you define yourself as realist, I'd say you're being too negative. We've played very well this year, suffering only through lack of putting away the vast amount of chances we create which is an easier problem to solve than not being able to create chances at all. Our defence has been the best in the league statistically.

As well as that we have a core of world class players IMO, Suarez, Agger and Reina could all be in the best teams in the world, you could even add Gerrard into that on his day.

I think the future is definitely bright, I think top 4/5 is where we should aim for this year, then the year after that we should try and make sure we're in the top four and trying to keep up with the league leaders all the time and then from there the sky's the limit.

I think we're in a period of complete upheaval from the squad of Benitez and Kenny is only just beginning.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:05 am

I think he's doing a fine job. I'm not sure how anyone can be dissappointed given 14 months ago, we were a judge's decision away from oblivion and languishing in the bottom half of the table playing very passive and dull football, with a manager that didn't know how to cope with Liverpool Football Club.

14 months on, we're 6th, 3 points away from 4th and it's December. If we're there or thereabouts come March I'll think we'll be in with a great chance of qualifying for the Champions League, as our run-in is much more favourable than our rivals.

As for the signings, I'm pleased with how they've all done with the exception of Andy Carroll. It hasn't clicked for him yet, and the pressure has got to him a little as he's missed a few chances that he probably would have buried at Newcastle. Saying that, he has plenty of time on his side as do many of the team, so I think patience is key. That may not appease the McDonalds generation, but I couldn't give a sh!te about them, and I reckon Kenny does even less.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:As well as that we have a core of world class players IMO, Suarez, Agger and Reina could all be in the best teams in the world, you could even add Gerrard into that on his day.

Gerrard in the best teams in the world? Who are you kidding hes always been overhyped and think when hes back Liverpool will suffer

Dalglish has made some poor signings in Henderson and Carroll, don't think he knows how to use them as their systems doesn't seem to suit them

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

marty2086 wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:As well as that we have a core of world class players IMO, Suarez, Agger and Reina could all be in the best teams in the world, you could even add Gerrard into that on his day.

Gerrard in the best teams in the world? Who are you kidding hes always been overhyped and think when hes back Liverpool will suffer

Dalglish has made some poor signings in Henderson and Carroll, don't think he knows how to use them as their systems doesn't seem to suit them

Please highlight the strong points of both Henderson's and Carroll's games and explain how Kenny should adopt them to his Liverpool team, if you would? Carroll's strongpoints are pretty obvious, so I'm looking forward to Henderson's.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

Henderson has been very good the last few game's and he is a top prospect. Kenny has done very well, he has rebuilt the squad in a very short time for a net spend of somewhere in the region of £32 mil and he has trimmed the wage bill of another £30 mil with more or less all the dead wood gone. With the new stadium not far away and a groundbreaking shirt deal with Warrior Sport's signed and sealed the future is very bright for Liverpool F.C. The only negative for me is Andy Carroll, he is awful but he has time and he might improve.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

Neutral here. For me Liverpool have shown nothing to tell me they've moved forward since Dalglish took over. He is the King of Anfield but he gets away with poor results that the likes of Benitez or Houllier would have been slaughtered for..........Sunderland, Stoke, Spurs, Norwich, Swansea, Fulham. At the moment Carroll looks like £35m wasted.

I'm sure 99% of honest Liverpool fans, if asked, would say that would have expected to be higher that 6th after 16 games.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

If you look at the Swansea and Norwich, games, the reason we dropped points there is because the keepers of those games had absolute blinders! They won their side a point, the save from Ruddy at the end of the Norwich game was world class.

Fulham, the game was changed by the sending off, Dempsey was lucky to still be on the field when he scored, could easily have been sent off for pushing his head into Bellamys face earlier.

We've made progress, probably back to where we were when Rafa left, we went backwards with Roy and alot of people forget that. Liverpool still need a clinical striker, as good as Suarez is, he misses so many chances and inevitably they are costing us dear. Adam is coming good and he's really started to take control of the midfield, Lucas has been superb for the last 18 months, and the defence is solid as the facts show.

Big question is, how injury prone is Gerrard now? Does he get back in the team if we manage to find that clinical goal scorer we're needing? Personally he doesn't for me, my team would be;

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Lucas Adam
Kuyt Suarez Dowing
???

It does all depend whether the owners will give Kenny more money in January, but I think with Suarez playing just off the stiker he would be even more creative than he is at the moment.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

JPX wrote:Neutral here. For me Liverpool have shown nothing to tell me they've moved forward since Dalglish took over. He is the King of Anfield but he gets away with poor results that the likes of Benitez or Houllier would have been slaughtered for..........Sunderland, Stoke, Spurs, Norwich, Swansea, Fulham. At the moment Carroll looks like £35m wasted.

I'm sure 99% of honest Liverpool fans, if asked, would say that would have expected to be higher that 6th after 16 games.

What do you mean by 'gets away with'? Is there some sort of punishment that should be handed out after every result which doesn't go the way the fans would like?

Edit: And since when did defeats at Stoke and Spurs (in their current form) constitute bad results?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

liverbnz wrote:
JPX wrote:Neutral here. For me Liverpool have shown nothing to tell me they've moved forward since Dalglish took over. He is the King of Anfield but he gets away with poor results that the likes of Benitez or Houllier would have been slaughtered for..........Sunderland, Stoke, Spurs, Norwich, Swansea, Fulham. At the moment Carroll looks like £35m wasted.

What do you mean by 'gets away with'? Is there some sort of punishment that should be handed out after every result which doesn't go the way the fans would like?

Edit: And since when did defeats at Stoke and Spurs (in their current form) constitute bad results?
Self explanatory I thought. There would be a reaction by fans if those results happened under previous Managers but not Kenny, as he's, well, Kenny.

Your last quote sums up perfectly where Liverpool are right now, when their fans find defeats at Stoke and Spurs acceptable. Also rans at the moment I'm afraid. This may be glossed with a view that he's building and that may be right, but this thread asks for a mid term report, and that's mine.

And that is not because I dislike Liverpool, I don't support anyone, but if I would prefer to see Liverpool winning the league as I really enjoyed them under Kenny last time.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Laugh. Are you serious? we had 7 point's from the first 9 game's last season.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

dublfcynwa wrote: Laugh. Are you serious? we had 7 point's from the first 9 game's last season.

Partly the reason theyr'e only 6th now.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:54 pm

Sometimes I think people forget that for the past 15 years I think Liverpool have only come second twice. We have only been title challengers a couple of times in the Premier League and considering how backwards we went under Benitez's last year and Hodgson's six months Kenny has to have patience to get us back up there.

I think we're playing the best football we have done since 08/09.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

liverbnz wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Please highlight the strong points of both Henderson's and Carroll's games and explain how Kenny should adopt them to his Liverpool team, if you would? Carroll's strongpoints are pretty obvious, so I'm looking forward to Henderson's.

I think to get the best out of Carroll means Suarez needs to move out wide and heard someone say it yesterday the 2 of them dont click up front together

Hendersons best through the middle and most of the time he plays wide right for Liverpool, when Lucas is fit I think Lucas Henderson and Adam would be a good fit. Henderson makes good late runs and is a decent passer and I think could link up with Suaarez if he was his main support from midfield

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:57 pm

Henderson has got much better recently now that he is starting to settle in better, with a midfield three of Shelvey, Henderson and Adam we had three top class passers of the balls, I'd happy with that until Gerrard returns to be honest.

I think Bellamy has to be given a run in the first XI now. The team we played against Aston Villa should be the one that is played for the next few games. I haven't been convinced by Kuyt this season, for all his effort he has been a lot less productive this year, but along with Maxi is a good guy to put on with twenty minutes to go as can be a pain for the already tired defenders.

Last edited by invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

JPX wrote:
dublfcynwa wrote: Laugh. Are you serious? we had 7 point's from the first 9 game's last season.

Partly the reason theyr'e only 6th now.

Your not making any sense at all, are you drunk? First of all you said you could see no improvement in Liverpool since Kenny took over, I simply made your claim laughable by saying we were on 7 point's from 9 game's last season and you respond by saying that's partly the reason were 6th now??????????? Headscratch
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

Apologies, I mis-read I thought you said this season. I can't agree that's an improvement, the team were severely under performing under Hodgson, the start they made to last season was not representive of their true worth.

All I'm saying is that I don't see any massive improvement from any of the last few managers at all. I hope they do, as I said I'd prefer Liverpool to win the league out of the teams there.

If you and the rest of the Liverpool fans are happy with being outside the top 4 then yes ok it's not bad so far. I thought you wanted more than that, if you do, sorry I haven't seen it so far. No point beating the likes of Chelsea then losing to Stoke and Spurs etc (even if as said above they are not bad results!).

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

The aim is to get into the top four, but considering the fact that both Manchester City and Tottenham are rising fast it's much more of a struggle than it would be in past years.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm

JPX why do you keep knocking Spurs? They play some of the best football in the league and have been one of the best performers so far this season, certainly loosing to Spurs isn't as bad as it was a few years ago, and no where near as bad as loosing to Stoke.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

I'm not knocking them, I don't mean to anyway, I just thought Liverpool had higher aspirations than that, seems I was wrong. It seems a lot of LFC fans are quite happy to accept they've been overtaken by Spurs.

Maybe Redknapp is the better Manager of the two, as their squad isn't as good, in my eyes anyway. Thoughts?

Last edited by JPX on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added "not")

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:43 pm

I don't think any Liverpool fan would be happy to just finish in the top four every year but we have to be realistic Spurs and City have better squad's than us at the moment, Chelsea and United will alway's be strong and Arsenal are there too, it take's time to build a team Kenny is only there a year and we have more point's than last season and we have a much better squad, we also have the best defence in the league as we have conceeded the least amount of goal's. It's far from easy to make top four now but IMO we are heading in the right direction.

Last edited by dublfcynwa on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:44 pm

As Dub says Spurs squad is better than ours, they have more depth and and more creative players, signing VDV was a big signing last year imo, him and Modric make a big difference.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:54 pm

Not sure about that, if all players are available I'd say Liverpool's squad is better than Spurs.

Sounds to me as if you are getting your excuses in for when you finish 5th or below. I'll be surprised if they finish higher than 6th this season and that's not progress I'm afraid.

Are you happy to accept Liverpool are no longer in the big 4, or even 5 now?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

JPX wrote:Not sure about that, if all players are available I'd say Liverpool's squad is better than Spurs.

Sounds to me as if you are getting your excuses in for when you finish 5th or below. I'll be surprised if they finish higher than 6th this season and that's not progress I'm afraid.

Are you happy to accept Liverpool are no longer in the big 4, or even 5 now?

We'll see come May

On a bit of form now so will hopefully put ourselves in a good position to challenge. Its goin to be tight to get in the Champs league this season. I could even see goal difference coming into play. We will be there or there abouts and that will be an improvement on last season.

Long Live The King king

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:19 am

JPX wrote:
liverbnz wrote:

Self explanatory I thought. There would be a reaction by fans if those results happened under previous Managers but not Kenny, as he's, well, Kenny.

Your last quote sums up perfectly where Liverpool are right now, when their fans find defeats at Stoke and Spurs acceptable. Also rans at the moment I'm afraid. This may be glossed with a view that he's building and that may be right, but this thread asks for a mid term report, and that's mine.

And that is not because I dislike Liverpool, I don't support anyone, but if I would prefer to see Liverpool winning the league as I really enjoyed them under Kenny last time.

First off, Kenny has earned the right to a little more leeway considering his history with the club, everything he has won and unfortunately Hillsborough. Secondly, Rafa and Houllier are still held in very high regard by most (sound-minded), and everything they have done for the club, and the city in Rafa's case, is greatly appreciated. It's unfortunatley the vocal 606 phone-in minority, lead by the xenophobic and lowest common denominator British press, who had the pitchforks ready for both before they'd even stepped foot in Melwood. Those same vocal minority are even at it with Kenny.

Furthermore, nowhere did I say defeats at Spurs and Stoke were acceptable, so stop putting words in my mouth (or at my fingertips). They are just little bumps in a long journey for the club that will hopefully lead us back to some sort of success. It's nothing to do with 'glossing over', it's a fact. If you're giving a 'mid-term' report, surely you must take into consideration the long-term objectives?!? Fans need to be patient. I know some won't, but that's just tough on them.

Here's another little fact for ya, and anyone else that thinks that Kenny hasn't improved this team. Liverpool are averaging 1.79 points per game this season. That would be enough to qualify for the Champions League in every single one of the last 16 seasons. Roy Hodgson averaged 1.25 point per game, which would have seen Liverpool finish somewhere between 9th and 11th last season. So there has been improvement, and it may well be that other clubs have improved a little bit more than us, but then again they might have had better starts to the season and fall away later. We'll see come May.

Last edited by liverbnz on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:31 am

marty2086 wrote:
liverbnz wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

I think to get the best out of Carroll means Suarez needs to move out wide and heard someone say it yesterday the 2 of them dont click up front together

Hendersons best through the middle and most of the time he plays wide right for Liverpool, when Lucas is fit I think Lucas Henderson and Adam would be a good fit. Henderson makes good late runs and is a decent passer and I think could link up with Suaarez if he was his main support from midfield

Suarez is a 'false 9'. He's never been that successful out wide, neither for Ajax or for Uraguay. He scored something like 49 in 48 games for Ajax playing the role he is now. He'd be scoring at the same ratio for Liverpool if he could find his shooting boots. Also, Suarez has scored the majority of his goals this season playing alongside Carroll, and ditto for the big Geordie. Personally I would rather we played a little more to the strengths of Andy Carroll, but Kenny clearly wants his players more well-rounded, and who am I to question that?

Henderson does not play 'wide-right' in the traditonal sense. If you were to watch any of Liverpool's earlier games, you would clearly see that he tucks in on the right making it a 3 in the centre with Johnson and or one of the 'false 9s' Kuyt/Carroll/Suarez moving into the space he vacates. Downing usually provided the width from the left.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:53 am

Thanks liverbnz. No need to be so defensive though I'm only giving my opinion. I respect Liverpool fans and maybe their attitude towards Managers is what sets them apart from other "win at all costs" clubs. You're able to see you're getting towards the objectives. All I was saying is as a mid term report Liverpool are in the same position they have been for the last 15 or so years, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

P.S Your comment was "And since when did defeats at Stoke and Spurs (in their current form) constitute bad results?" Sorry but that to me is kind of accepting defeat.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:59 am

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Sometimes I think people forget that for the past 15 years I think Liverpool have only come second twice. We have only been title challengers a couple of times in the Premier League and considering how backwards we went under Benitez's last year and Hodgson's six months Kenny has to have patience to get us back up there.

I think we're playing the best football we have done since 08/09.

i agree let's wait til may to give our verdict thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

JPX wrote:Thanks liverbnz. No need to be so defensive though I'm only giving my opinion. I respect Liverpool fans and maybe their attitude towards Managers is what sets them apart from other "win at all costs" clubs. You're able to see you're getting towards the objectives. All I was saying is as a mid term report Liverpool are in the same position they have been for the last 15 or so years, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

P.S Your comment was "And since when did defeats at Stoke and Spurs (in their current form) constitute bad results?" Sorry but that to me is kind of accepting defeat.

spurs was reeling after man city, so it was waiting to happen, stoke was lucky not to lose to us we had chances but blew them and we had numerous stone-wall penalty incidents that did not go for us

so your opinion of accepting defeat is flawed
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:08 am

JPX wrote:Thanks liverbnz. No need to be so defensive though I'm only giving my opinion. I respect Liverpool fans and maybe their attitude towards Managers is what sets them apart from other "win at all costs" clubs. You're able to see you're getting towards the objectives. All I was saying is as a mid term report Liverpool are in the same position they have been for the last 15 or so years, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to come across as defensive, I just don't like the whole 'I want it done yesterday' mantra. Things that take time and effort to build will usually stand the test of time, and that's what I'm hoping for.

Alls I meant by that last comment is that you have to accept that their are going to be slip-ups along the way. I get annoyed at every dropped point, as I'm sure most fans do, but I'm not going to get hung-up on them.If we were top of the league, having won the title for the last 10 seasons, I would still accept the fact that defeats are part and parcel of football. A season is 38 games, and the number of points in the end is the most important thing, regardless of where they are earned.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

Yep, agree with that. Personally hope they can go onwards and upwards as I have a soft spot for Liverpool mainly because of the previous Dalglish era, Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Aldridge, McMahon...........I haven't enjoyed English football much since to be honest, no teams seem to have that magic that the Dalglish team did back then.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

Well then count yourself lucky! I only started watching football in 1993 (football having been invented in and around that time Very Happy

This is my first real experience of Dalglish. Obviously I knew who he was and his lengendary status at the club, but I don't think you can fully apprecaite it until you experience it yourself. I'm glad now that I have been given the oppourtunity.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:28 pm

JPX wrote:Yep, agree with that. Personally hope they can go onwards and upwards as I have a soft spot for Liverpool mainly because of the previous Dalglish era, Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Aldridge, McMahon...........I haven't enjoyed English football much since to be honest, no teams seem to have that magic that the Dalglish team did back then.

If he can produce a team similar in quality to that era then I will be over the moon.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Tue 20 Dec 2011, 5:27 pm

JPX wrote:Yep, agree with that. Personally hope they can go onwards and upwards as I have a soft spot for Liverpool mainly because of the previous Dalglish era, Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Aldridge, McMahon...........I haven't enjoyed English football much since to be honest, no teams seem to have that magic that the Dalglish team did back then.

The Arsenal Invincibles, United around '99 and the current City side all play football as good if not better than Dalglish's old Liverpool side, in my opinion.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

monzon wrote:

The Arsenal Invincibles, United around '99 and the current City side all play football as good if not better than Dalglish's old Liverpool side, in my opinion.
Not for me I'm afraid. It's a different era and a different style of football, I'm enjoying the current City side, but none of them have that magic the old Dalglish side had.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next