The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The return of the old fashioned striker

+6
sirfredperry
FIFA Diva
Kay Fabe
Crimey
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Good Golly I'm Olly
10 posters

Go down

The return of the old fashioned striker Empty The return of the old fashioned striker

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:49 pm

Grant Holt and Steve Morison have made me realize that there is still room for a good old fashioned English striker in the Premier League. Rickie Lambert in the Championship is another one. These guys will rough up continental defenders and challenge for everything, the way it should be.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The return of the old fashioned striker Empty Re: The return of the old fashioned striker

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:26 pm

I see you support Norwich.

No bias in your comment at all haha

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

The return of the old fashioned striker Empty Re: The return of the old fashioned striker

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I see you support Norwich.

No bias in your comment at all haha

You have found me out there!!
Do you think I have a point though? If you put my team preferences aside
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm

I think Kevin Davies showed for years that in the Premier League there is a place for an old-fashioned centre forward, although they can often ruin a team's football by making them resort to long ball football. I think when a team with a striker like that runs out of ideas the temptation is often just to lump it up to them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm

Kevin Davies has never been a good goalscorer though

Alan Shearer was the blue print for a striker any club would want

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:39 am

I think you can still play nice football with someone like Kevin Davies up front but you need a decent set of wingers to whip the balls across the box.
I think that modern day centre backs (especially foreign ones) struggle against a striker that is prepared to run all day and to put his body on the line.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

What foregin defenders like Vidic, Chellini, Vermalen, Godin, Pique, Pepe Laugh
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

It's horses for coures for the "old-fashioned" centre forward. Take the case of Lee Chapman who scored goals galore before he went to Arsenal and plenty afterwards, including helping Leeds Untd to the championship in 92.
Yet some Arsenal fans regarded him as one of the worst players they had had at Highbury. They simply did not play to his strengths.
Darren Bent was a more modern case in point - at Tottenham. He just never looked the business at WHL but it was clear even to disillusioned Spurs fans that he might be the finished article....at another club. He's done OK at Sunderland and Aston Villa. Physically, he looks enormous at these clubs. He seemed to shrink at Tottenham.
Similarly, Crouch will probably do far better at Stoke than at Spurs.
Not sure the old battering ram guys would trouble top European defenders, unless - like Shearer - they have pace as well as brawn. Having said that, Crouch got a lot of European goals for Spurs, so you never know.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

If Carroll can find the rampaging form he was showing for us...for Liverpool then he will be that old style forward...and will be a great foil for Suarez...but that remains to be seen.

One of my all time faves was " Big Dunc".... a traditional forward....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

G'fan. Assume you're referring Duncan Ferguson. But not sure he was really that good. Some liked his bad boy image and he was certainly a trier. But he was not that prolific goalscoring wise.
More effective, IMHO, was John Fashanu. A real handful. Defenders really knew they'd been in a game. The post-weekend bruise count must have been astronomic.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

I like Johnny Walters at Stoke. He reminds me of a poor mans Tevez. I only say this because he constantly chases the ball, gets stuck in whenever possible, has created goals this season along with scoring them. Another, as mentioned, would be Kevin Davies. He is a tough tough player. Ball to feet player, good in the air and powerful. Carrol would be another if he stays fit. Shearer has to be the all time greatest in the Premier League, i also like Sherringham.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:59 pm

Not sure Sheringham, or his fans, would like for him to be described as the old-fashioned battering ram centre forward. He was very subtle, relied on positioning and was an instinctive striker.
But he was not the quickest of players, which is why he was able to go on to his early 40s as he had no pace to lose !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

This is true. He was about as fast as Tony Adams. But he was a quality striker. True in the fact his positioning was first class, but he was a classy English striker, great at heading, subtle movements and a quality finish. Not quite a battering ram, but stands out as an English type of player in comparison to your sterotypical european footy player such as Raul. Dont get many Sheringhams or Shearers these days! lol

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:18 pm

Shreingham was quality not a CF like Shearer but was more then capable of holding the ball and linking with others.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:41 pm

Who would you rather have in your team out of the following strikers:

Shearer, Sheringham, A.Cole, Sutton, K.Davies, Carrol, Bent, Crouch, Rooney

You can have 2 only.

Mine would be Shearer and Rooney. Creativity of Rooney with the finishing of Shearer would be deadly id presume. Be interesting.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:21 pm

nice to see another city fan on here. welcome aboard OK

Cole and rooney i think would be a dangerous front 2

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

ncfc_Tooze wrote:nice to see another city fan on here. welcome aboard OK

I'll be here trying to gain Norwich some credit but at the moment I am failing miserably!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Dec 2011, 7:40 pm

VivaPaulScholes wrote:What foregin defenders like Vidic, Chellini, Vermalen, Godin, Pique, Pepe Laugh

Ones who play in the Premier League like Mertesacker who was bullied by Morison when he came to Carrow Road
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:25 am

Shearer and Sheringham out of those defo.....

Sir Perry, yeah Duncan Ferguson...whilst he wasnt prolific, i think he was a very good player...and on his day was an absolute nightmare for defenders....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:08 pm

we are talking about charlie sheringham right?
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down