John Terry facing racism charge

Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

John Terry charged over alleged racist Ferdinand comments

England captain John Terry will face charges of racism, the Crown Prosecution (CPS) has said.

Terry is alleged to have used racist language towards Queens Park Rangers' Anton Ferdinand, during Chelsea's 1-0 defeat at Loftus Road on 23 October.

The Chelsea captain was questioned under caution by police in November and a file on the matter was sent to the CPS at the beginning of December.

The 30-year-old has always denied making the racist comments Whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16284813


Last edited by fernando on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Libel Article Title)

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4418
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by d260005p on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

Fair play. It cant be a case of one rule for one and then one for another. John Terry has really shot himself in the foot. Suarez has been banned for 8 matches with a £40,000 fine - and that was just going of Evra's own evidence of mouth. Terry has been seen doing it on live TV infront of the public. If this has indeed been used in the evidence gathering (which im sure we all know it would have been), then he will be getting a lengthy, lengthy and hefty ban. And it is fully deserved.

d260005p

Posts : 674
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 33
Location : Telford

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by LivinginItaly on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a police investigation and as such can't result in a lengthy ban. However, there will be an FA investigation that will take place after the legal proceedings have been completed.

LivinginItaly

Posts : 953
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 38
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

01/02/2012 is the court date.

He will be ok, what he said isn't as bad as what Suarez said. Well according to Churchy anyway

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4418
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Correct Living.
As this is a CPS prosecution, he will probs get a fine from them.
But any match ban must come from the FA after their own investigation (which will probs use the same evidence as the CPS)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by d260005p on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Thats what i meant. Didnt mean a lengthy ban with regards to the courts, i meant that after he has been prosecuted and if found guilty then the FA will take action, and id presume a ban would be imposed.

d260005p

Posts : 674
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 33
Location : Telford

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by LivinginItaly on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

d260005p wrote:Thats what i meant. Didnt mean a lengthy ban with regards to the courts, i meant that after he has been prosecuted and if found guilty then the FA will take action, and id presume a ban would be imposed.

Sorry my bad, misunderstood what you had wrote. thumbsup

LivinginItaly

Posts : 953
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 38
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by d260005p on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

boxing No worries haha

d260005p

Posts : 674
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 33
Location : Telford

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Josiah Maiestas on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:02 pm

But any match ban must come from the FA after their own investigation (which will probs use the same evidence as the CPS)
The amount of errors and slacking from JT last 2 seasons, a similar ban to Suarez could do both him and his club well.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 30
Location : Towel Island

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by trottb on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:03 pm

If he's found guilty by the CPS, which I think he will be, how long do you think that the ban will be for?

I'd like to see a lengthy ban of at least 9 - 12 months, maybe more.

trottb

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Beer on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:07 pm

The CPS are basing this on TV footage. JT's lawyers will have a field day in court.

Beer

Posts : 14398
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 34
Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:23 pm

King Beer wrote:The CPS are basing this on TV footage. JT's lawyers will have a field day in court.

Doh Only clear cut evidence of him saying those words.

Plus they might actually call witnesses who actually heard him?


Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4418
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by liverbnz on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

With Terry's being a criminal case, the charges brought against him will have to be proved 'beyond reasonable doubt'. Now the CPS are confident they have enough evidence to bring a guilty verdict, although I assume they would always say this? They're hardly gonna say anything different?

Now what worries me about this, is that if Terry is not found guilty beyond reasonable doubt, the FA will then hide behind this ruling instead of having their own case. There was some man on Sky Sports News yesterday which even said this is what the FA are likely to do. (I think he used to work for the FA as a consultant or something or other, can't remember exactly what, or his name for that matter).

Terry will then get away with it, whilst Suarez is the 'sole racist' despite being found guilty under different parameters. The FA will expect that most of the country either will not care or not understand the differences between criminal and civil cases.

liverbnz

Posts : 2958
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 35
Location : Newcastle, County Down

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by TwisT on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

I have watched the video at length and I can't make up my mind. It seems the second (most important) word is actually two syllables

To me, it looks like he is saying "pikey"

I suppose, unless you have others coming forward saying they heard him say it, it is JT's word against Anton's. And I am sure JT's legal team will argue that he actually said another word. It is open to interpretation.

TwisT

Posts : 17673
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 35
Location : Kent

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by liverbnz on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

I'd suspect that the video is not the only evidence they have.

liverbnz

Posts : 2958
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 35
Location : Newcastle, County Down

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by braveheart101 on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

Terry's statement after that incident includes "I am disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand"

Isn't that an admission that he did make a racist remark?

braveheart101

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 44
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Ent on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

braveheart101 wrote:Terry's statement after that incident includes "I am disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand"

Isn't that an admission that he did make a racist remark?

He states he said 'I didn't call you a b c'


Ent

Posts : 7337
Join date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by braveheart101 on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

If he didn't use racist language how can anything be taken out of context?
If as he claims something was taken out of context and he didn't say what he is alleged to have said why didn't he include in his statement what he did say to Ferdinand.

braveheart101

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 44
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 5:09 pm

I'll be interested to hear how the words "f**** b**** c***" CAN be taken out of context and, more importantly, in what universe those three words could ever be seen as being used in a positive manner.

Hopefully Mr Terry will demonstrate for the Court

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by TwisT on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'll be interested to hear how the words "f**** b**** c***" CAN be taken out of context and, more importantly, in what universe those three words could ever be seen as being used in a positive manner.

Hopefully Mr Terry will demonstrate for the Court

It all depends on whether he used the term "black". I am sure he will argue until he is blue in the face that he said something else. As I have said before (though I have only seen the video on the Guardian website), it is open to interpretation what he said.

One thing is for sure, as others have said. There is no way those three words can be viewed in anything other than a negative slur. To argue against it is stupid.

TwisT

Posts : 17673
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 35
Location : Kent

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by slyadams on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:43 pm

TwisT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I'll be interested to hear how the words "f**** b**** c***" CAN be taken out of context and, more importantly, in what universe those three words could ever be seen as being used in a positive manner.

Hopefully Mr Terry will demonstrate for the Court

It all depends on whether he used the term "black". I am sure he will argue until he is blue in the face that he said something else. As I have said before (though I have only seen the video on the Guardian website), it is open to interpretation what he said.

One thing is for sure, as others have said. There is no way those three words can be viewed in anything other than a negative slur. To argue against it is stupid.

Actually its really not. I dislike Terry as much as the next man but if the conversation went like:

Ref: What's wrong Anton
Anton: He called me a f*****g b***k c**t!
Terry: I didn't call you a f*****g b***k c**t!

Then Terry is guilty of nothing because to suggest that Terry isn't allowed to use the words he's accused of saying to defend himself but the accuser can through whatever they want out there is absolute left-wing crap. Now, maybe he should be clever enough not to say that because he should now that it could be taken out of context, but he's a professional footballer, and an especially dumb one at that so I think its unreasonable to expect that of him.

slyadams

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-02-06

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by braveheart101 on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 1:31 am

I thought it was a member of the public who reported it to the police after seeing him use those word on tv and Ferdinand didn't report anything to the referee.

braveheart101

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 44
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Kay Fabe on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 2:33 am

I think there is a difference between making a vile racial comment and being a racist

I'm not condoning or defending anything anyone has said or hasn't said, think that should be made clear, however if John Terry is found guilty I don't expect the punishment to be as heavy as Luis Suarez, the reason, well I think it can be believed that a non racist can in the heat of the moment say something they could instantly regret, however to say something close to 10 times in such a short space of time knowing it's an insult is a more serious offence

Kay Fabe

Posts : 9685
Join date : 2011-03-16
Age : 37
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Diggers on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:33 am

the-gaffer wrote:I think there is a difference between making a vile racial comment and being a racist

I'm not condoning or defending anything anyone has said or hasn't said, think that should be made clear, however if John Terry is found guilty I don't expect the punishment to be as heavy as Luis Suarez, the reason, well I think it can be believed that a non racist can in the heat of the moment say something they could instantly regret, however to say something close to 10 times in such a short space of time knowing it's an insult is a more serious offence

Possibly but Suarez whole defence is built around supposed ignorance of acceptable usage of vocabulary.
What's excuse does Terry have ?

Diggers

Posts : 8681
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by ADMIN on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

Diggers wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:I think there is a difference between making a vile racial comment and being a racist

I'm not condoning or defending anything anyone has said or hasn't said, think that should be made clear, however if John Terry is found guilty I don't expect the punishment to be as heavy as Luis Suarez, the reason, well I think it can be believed that a non racist can in the heat of the moment say something they could instantly regret, however to say something close to 10 times in such a short space of time knowing it's an insult is a more serious offence

Possibly but Suarez whole defence is built around supposed ignorance of acceptable usage of vocabulary.
What's excuse does Terry have ?

He's thick?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Posts : 13809
Join date : 2011-01-24

http://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Diggers on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Or...he's a thick racist.

Diggers

Posts : 8681
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by braveheart101 on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I think there is a difference between making a vile racial comment and being a racist

I'm not condoning or defending anything anyone has said or hasn't said, think that should be made clear, however if John Terry is found guilty I don't expect the punishment to be as heavy as Luis Suarez, the reason, well I think it can be believed that a non racist can in the heat of the moment say something they could instantly regret, however to say something close to 10 times in such a short space of time knowing it's an insult is a more serious offence
Gaffer it hasn't been proven Suarez said it more than once even Evra changed his version of events from 10 times then 5 times then twice so why should Terry get a lighter punishment than Suarez? If you go by your reasoning the FA do not find Suarez guilty of being a racist but for using a racist word which is what you are saying Terry did so the punishment should be the same.

I have a feeling that if Terry is found not guilty in court the FA will accept that decision and close their investigation without bringing any charges against him. How can that be fair when there is public tv evidence? Is it because Anton Ferdinand did not make a complaint to them?

braveheart101

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2011-05-23
Age : 44
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by PaulHv2 on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

I'm very surprised that people are defending Terry, I ask all posters to remember that Yes Suarez was found guilty of probably using racial abuse, while it has been caught on camera that John Terry did use racial abuse, if he gets off it is disgusting and it will make the action taken against Suarez look daft.
PaulHv2
PaulHv2
Admin
Admin

Posts : 8975
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 31

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

John Terry facing racism charge Empty Re: John Terry facing racism charge

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum