What to do with the Monarchy?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should we keep the monarchy?

What to do with the Monarchy? Vote_lcap66%What to do with the Monarchy? Vote_rcap 66% 
[ 25 ]
What to do with the Monarchy? Vote_lcap32%What to do with the Monarchy? Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 12 ]
What to do with the Monarchy? Vote_lcap2%What to do with the Monarchy? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 38

What to do with the Monarchy? Empty What to do with the Monarchy?

Post by GG on Fri 20 Jan - 2:14

Clue is in the title really.....

Over to you

GG

Back to top Go down

What to do with the Monarchy? Empty Re: What to do with the Monarchy?

Post by Fists of Fury on Fri 20 Jan - 3:30

Yep, in terms of tourism it makes us an absolute stack.

Also, things like the Royal Wedding is what the British are all about, all the pomp and ceremony, it was great to see! And...Kate Middleton is outstandingly hot.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly on Fri 20 Jan - 8:28

Yes, its part of our British culture, attracts the tourists, and is one of the things that our foreign counterparts envy us for. Many Italian people tell me they wish they could have a history like ours, and lets face it the royal family is a piece of living history.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri 20 Jan - 9:39

Fortune and popularity of the monarchy are heavily dependent on who is the present incumbent.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge on Fri 20 Jan - 10:15

The monarchy has little power left, so for me to lose the monarchy, is to lose part of what makes Britain great

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water on Mon 6 Feb - 6:40

I would keep the Queen of Scotland but get rid of the Queen of England.

The Monachy and Church will just fade away into the sunset over the next couple of decades...... well that's what Vice President Clegg told me.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry on Tue 7 Feb - 6:58

There's nothing to gain from ditching the monarchy and nothing to lose from keeping it.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Wed 8 Feb - 19:24

Dump them and sell her 10 billion pound art collection to plug a big hole in our debt. If you think about it, it's bloody ridiculous that they have that just sitting there while the rest of us have pay increased tax, pay more into our pensions, work longer and get less.

And I have to say I'm not convinced by this 'they earn us loads through tourism' lark. Is there any solid proof to this? Do hoards of people actually come into the UK to visit Buckingham Palace, most of which is shut off to the public most of the year, or do they just visit Buckingham Palace while they are in the country.

Edit: Furthermore, the royal sites will still exist with or without the monarchy so the value in forking out millions a year for a chosen few for little to no reason seems illogical.

Last edited by liverbnz on Wed 8 Feb - 19:45; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water on Wed 8 Feb - 19:26

I think that England's most popular tourist destination is Warwick Castle.
Not many Royal connections there.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal on Wed 8 Feb - 21:24

I'll never understand people hiding behind the, 'where's the proof they bring in tourists' line, try asking any foreigner who comes to visit our shores, the majority will mention the royal family as one of the first reasons why they come to Britain.
I also can't understand why anyone would ever mention money, yes, by the standards of the average man, they get a small fortune from the state, compare that few million per year to the many million 'stolen' each year by politicians from councillors upto ministers, or the wage of any PL footballer.
...or the many billions all governments throw away each year on projects that anybody with a brain could tell them will never work eg in the last 15 years the government has wasted over £10billion on IT projects for the DWP and NHS that were unfit for purpose before they were even brought in, but politicians never admit their ineptitude so still threw money at their vanity projects.
...or, how about the £2billion spent on new buildings for politicians to use, like Portcullis House, the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish parliament, the first of which was never needed, the other two can't possibly be for any other reason than to make MPs feel good about themselves, as neither institute has any real power.

Also remember, our top ministers allowed those who destroyed our banking sector to be paid more in bonuses than the royal family costs to maintain, I would gladly execute every single one of those thieves personally, before hearing a bad word about the royals, who actually seem to care about our country,

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Wed 8 Feb - 22:24

ReallyReal wrote:I'll never understand people hiding behind the, 'where's the proof they bring in tourists' line, try asking any foreigner who comes to visit our shores, the majority will mention the royal family as one of the first reasons why they come to Britain.
I also can't understand why anyone would ever mention money, yes, by the standards of the average man, they get a small fortune from the state, compare that few million per year to the many million 'stolen' each year by politicians from councillors upto ministers, or the wage of any PL footballer.
...or the many billions all governments throw away each year on projects that anybody with a brain could tell them will never work eg in the last 15 years the government has wasted over £10billion on IT projects for the DWP and NHS that were unfit for purpose before they were even brought in, but politicians never admit their ineptitude so still threw money at their vanity projects.
...or, how about the £2billion spent on new buildings for politicians to use, like Portcullis House, the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish parliament, the first of which was never needed, the other two can't possibly be for any other reason than to make MPs feel good about themselves, as neither institute has any real power.

Also remember, our top ministers allowed those who destroyed our banking sector to be paid more in bonuses than the royal family costs to maintain, I would gladly execute every single one of those thieves personally, before hearing a bad word about the royals, who actually seem to care about our country,

What's not to understand about it? There is no proof that the monarchy earn this economy more than they bleed from it. It's those that just accept that they do without the proof who have something to hide behind. "Ask any tourist who comes to this county". You call that hard proof do you? Is that vindication for the Queen having a £10 billion art collection whislt the country is in billions and billiions of debt? It's hardly a wonder why the country is in such problems if we accept hearsay as proof! How about LegoLand was visited by more tourists in 2010 than Buckingham Palace? Should we start throwing public money at legomen and have them pampered for life just because they make money through tourism for the economy?

And where's the proof that tourists still wouldn't come to the country if the monarchy didn't exist? The buildings would still be there, isn't that what they've really come to see? It's hardly as if they've come in the hope of seeing the Queen waving out of her lavatory window whilst waiting on her butler to prepare her breakfast, as her maid picks her clothes and makes the bed she just lay in, whilst her royal servant prepares to wipe her backside! Maybe if the monarchy didn't exist we could actually open up Buckingham Palace fully and all year round. Imagine the money that could make considering "all tourists say they come because of the royals".

And quite frankly you don't have much of an arguement if your reasoning for this gross waste of public funds is that there are other people bleeding the economy just as bad/worse. Get rid of them all if that's the case. Problem with that is of course, politicians and bankers are needed in this day and age. Good, honest ones (oxymoron!) Can't find an arguement to say the same about the royals.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal on Wed 8 Feb - 22:57

Try asking them, the tourists that is, most list royaly as one of the main reason to visit Britain, if you don't ask you'll not find the 'proof' you're looking for and if you can't be arsed looking then don't bother asking OK .

As for the art collection, most of it; more by percentage than any art gallery; is on view in the royal households you can visit, but maybe you just want all of Britains art and culture sold off to pay the nations debts?

Are you simply a republican, where any valid arguement for maintaining the status quo is dismissed just because you're against royalty, or do you actually have an arguement against them?

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Wed 8 Feb - 23:12

Yes, my arguement is they are a waste of money, isn't that plain enough for you? It's not up to me to justify the royal's existence, it's up to whoever decides it's best served that we throw public money at them, our money, that we go to work every bloody day to earn. Public money spent has to be accounted for with justification - therefore the burden of proof is not on me so stop coming out with ridiculous babble such as "most list royaly as one of the main reason to visit Britain, if you don't ask you'll not find the 'proof' you're looking for and if you can't be arsed looking then don't bother asking". That is not proof, that is hearsay. Proof is facts and figures and I challenge you to give me some.

I'm not dismissing any valid arguement, because as far as I can see there aren't any to dismiss. "Ask any tourist" is not a valid arguement unfortunately Come back to me with some hard and cold evidence that the royals are worth the money blown on them or don't come back at all.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal on Wed 8 Feb - 23:18

There is no point in giving any arguement to a republican, as whatever is said will be ignored.

I'll simply say, the royals DO bring in tourists, they cost a pittance to maintain and those who actually have power (politicians), are the ones who throw away public money by the billions.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by harris.margaret9 on Thu 9 Feb - 0:14

Yes, it’s our heritage! Best tourist attraction.

harris.margaret9

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Thu 9 Feb - 0:23

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578941/Royals-low-on-must-list-for-visitors.html

There we are. Royal Residence down in the lowly teens, well below Legoland, somewhere in Bath and the Lake District. Royal residences account for less than 1% of the total tourist revenue. So you're right they do bring in money - but not anywhere near the estimated £200m a year we pay for their existence. And do you actually believe that tourists would stop coming to the UK just because the royals didn't exist? These very same 1% of tourists who can't even access the bloody buildings because the spongers are living it up inside them? These tourists never get to see the royals, they know that is the case before they travel so what difference would it make if actually didn't exist???? Tourists come to see England's hertiage, so they would be here whether the monarchs were or not. You can say they do as many times as you like, but unless you come up with facts all you doing to blowing out hot air. In fact I'd argue that we'd actually generate more money if the tourists were allowed to access the castles!

What's more is the pathetic figure of around £38m a year labelled 'what the Royals cost us' for some unknown yet convenient reason excludes travel expenses and security (£25,534 Prince Charles chartered flight to UN environmental conference - the bloody irony in that, £17,248 for the Duke of Edinburgh and old Queenies trip to Crewe, trip to Wales by the same folk £37,158, The Duke of York to the Middle East £88,612 and to Italy and Central Asia £121,810, Duke of Kent £11,668 for a little vaca in Canada and that is just a miniscule snippet from the Royal Travel Report). It's also estimated that it costs about 100m for the Royals to be watched around the clock. Meanwhile we have to all tighten are belts due to inflation, increased pension costs, increased VAT and astronomical hikes in fuel prices.

Also, why is Prince Charles allowed to decide when and when he doesn't pay tax? Is there some sort of elective tax scheme that I'm not aware of? He trousered 10m after his nan popped her cloggs and paid no inhertitance tax, he doesn't pay any capital gains and yet receives income of over £25m a year!!!!

Why aren't the royal's finances audited? Why can't MPs question where the money is spent? MPs have been pulled up, ridiculed, prosecuted, lost their jobs, reputations trampled further into the gutter for claiming expenses not even in the ball park of the Windsors! And I'm not sticking up for politicians here. They're crooked, everyone knows it. That's the only difference between them and the spongers.

Some more facts: Costs of comparable European Head of States:

UK: £183m (£40m officially)
Ireland: £1.8m
Austria: £3.5m
Finland: £7.9m
Germany: £26m

I'm not a republican, I'm just a peed off citizen of this state which wastes a whole lot of money on a sponging family that live lavish lifestyles on our money and all people can come up with is "they earn money from tourism" without a shred of evidence to back up that incredibly weak statement. They don't, that's a bloody myth. If you seriously believe the tourist industry of this country hinges on Queen Lizzy and her bizarre family then I can only assume you must be related. Or niave. Or stupid. Or all 3.

Last edited by liverbnz on Thu 9 Feb - 1:03; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Thu 9 Feb - 0:47

Liverbnz, I don't really have anything else to add to what you've said clap Every point you make is spot on.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal on Thu 9 Feb - 2:54

@Liverbnz, "I'm not a republican", I just make 'facts' up, like "Some more facts: Costs of comparable European Head of States: UK: £183m (£40m officially)", so the official figure is a lie is it? chin

As for the Telegraph article, 4 years old, so long before the last royal wedding, the most watched thing on the planet last year BTW and asks leading questions to a select few surveyed, so about as relevant as as physics book from 1890.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Thu 9 Feb - 3:19

I've explained what the official figure fails to include and then detailed some of that extra expenditure that the Royals decide not to include. The very fact that travel expenses and security are not included in the official figure and that the Royals are exempt from audit is pretty damning, don't you think? So contrary to your assumption, I have made up nothing. I can't say the same for the Windsors.

The Telegraph article is 4 years old, so what? It's proof that not many really give a toss about a worthless bunch of spongers. What has changed since then? Can tourists now visit the newly married couple? Have tea with them? Have pictures taken with? No. They can only see what they always could, buildings. The buildings will still be there regardless of there being a monarchy.

And since you mention Royal Weddings, do ya think the reason it was most watched is because they gave the whole nation the day off (how much did that cost the bloody economy?) and nearly every major braodcaster had it slapped on their channels? And while we're at it here's some more facts on Royal Weddings for you:

“If we look at the marriage of Andrew and Sarah in July 1986 we find that across the year as a whole there were 4% fewer visitors to Britain than in 1985, but that in July [1986] there were 8% fewer than in July of 1985,” he said. “While this and the results relating to 1981 are inconclusive, such as it is, the evidence points to royal weddings having a negative impact on inbound tourism.”
Foreign visits in July 1981, when Charles and Diana married, were down 15% on the average for the same period from 1980 to 1985, according to the Office for National Statistics "

As we can see, those 2 weddings were a huge money spinner for Britian. We should have one every day and all our problems would be solved. Rolling Eyes

Bury your head in the sand and try and knit-pick at the facts that I've provided all you want, but you have yet to provide anything closely resembling evidence that backs up your theories. Provide some facts about the Royals being worth more than the estimated £183 million a year that is wasted on them instead of rambling on like an old woman who is yet to be convinced the earth is not flat.

Last edited by liverbnz on Thu 9 Feb - 10:32; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Thu 9 Feb - 3:27

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/how-much-did-royal-wedding-cost-britain-1055/

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/04/29/royal-wedding-will-cost-uk-economy-billions/

http://newsthump.com/2011/11/25/public-sector-strikes-to-cost-economy-110th-of-royal-wedding-warn-ministers/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-25/hopes-of-wedding-boost-for-u-k-economy-are-wishful-thinking-.html

Thanks Lizzy, thanks very much indeed.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water on Thu 9 Feb - 9:47

The bit that I found funny was that the Palace of Versailles numbers were huge compared to Buck House.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 on Thu 16 Feb - 7:54

I think most tourists come to see our heritage they don't come to see the royal family. If the royal family is removed,hell will freeze over first, I don't think it would make to much difference to the tourist figures.
Just out of interest what does someone like Prince Andrew bring to the table?
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Offstumpyorker on Sat 18 Feb - 0:25

The way I see it is if we had a president they would cost as much if not more than the current monachy, the president of France costs a lot more than

Also a lot of the things people think are owned by the queen arnt actually owned by her, for example the following real estate isnt owned by the queen or any memeber of the royal family : Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, St. James’s Palace, Kensington Palace (excluding the State Apartments) and Clarence House.

The only two properties owned by the Queen are Sandringham and Balmoral.

Other memebers of the royal family have thier own real-estate like prince charles in the dutchy of cornwall.

Liverbnz, why just target the Royals, what about all the other 'rich' people that have large art collections, groups like the rothschilds whos combined wealth makes the most countries GDP look like pocket money.

Liverbnz, £10 billion in art is a drop in the ocean compared to the debt wracked up by labout, which stands at about £1 Trillion (or 100 times the value of that art), you also have to consider the leal position the Art is owned by a private individual and so taking is technically theft, where would the government stop, what about private homes that are over a certain size.

The rich get away with murder, footballers pay about 10% tax and NI, depsite earning 150,000+ per week. How is that fair on the tax payers that can only dream of earning that in 5 years let alone a week.

Lets look at making footballers pay 40% tax, because at the moment the average tax they pay is 22%, meaning the total footballers in the premier ship are avoiding around £67.5 Million in tax every Year, half the cost of the royals.

Lets look at the costs incured by Sarkozy, 215 Million for a private Jet, 10K/day on food, £300,000 on Cars, not to mention all the state trips and security.

even at half the the 10K its still £1.8 million per year.

Is that really better than the royals?

PS : I would post the URLs but as im a new member I cant for the next 5 days,

For Sarkozy google : "Austerity, moi? Nicolas Sarkozy spends £10k a day on food"

For the footballers google : "footballers tax avoidance"

Offstumpyorker

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Sat 18 Feb - 0:45

Offstumpyorker

Thanks for informative reply but I'll keep this short as I don't have a lot more to say on the matter. Firstly you're asking me why I'm not targeting others, i.e. rich people such as footballers - This thread is about the Royals, nobody else. I'm simply debating the OP.

Secondly you asked about the art collection. £10 billion may not be a lot, but it's a start. We all have to make cut backs, so should they. Plus I thought the debt was around £5 trillion?

Footballers and tax avoidance - if true that's a case for the law. If it's tax evasion well there's no law against that so I'm not sure what we can do. And anyway HRMC showed us how to win a case against a football related man last week real well didn't they?

Lastly, about other presidents and what they cost - does that mean Britian's have to cost the same? Will they get the same tax benefits as the Royals? Will they be free from audit like the Royals? Will dubious reports be thrown to the press with obvious holes in them that won't be picked up because most of the population are niave? Will we have days off when they get married?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water on Sat 18 Feb - 4:28

Most professional footballers are a leg break away from the dole queue.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Tue 5 Jun - 6:42

Well this jubilee is a load of garbage.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water on Tue 5 Jun - 16:47

Five hours watching boats going past was really exciting.
Well done the BBC. Superb coverage.
Special mention must go to the commentator who managed to get in the phrase, 'our[sic] boys winning the world cup in 1966'

Roll on the Olympics and the Football.

I shall be in the garden.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey on Tue 5 Jun - 18:52

I'd just like to point out that of the top 20 visited Tourist attractions in the UK, the highest Royal attraction is Windsor Castle at 17th, which is beaten by Legoland Windsor.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb on Wed 6 Jun - 16:02

Doesn't it make the majority of its money through the crown estate not tourism? Due to all of the land it owns in expensive areas, namely London?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey on Wed 6 Jun - 19:43

Apparently the crown estate isn't actually owned by the monarchy, but lent to the monarchy and is actually owned by the government.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb on Wed 6 Jun - 20:26

I think it is still owned by the crown, although the reigning monarch doesn't hold it personally, and managed by the government.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Wed 6 Jun - 21:19

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jobseekers-slept-rough-then-staffed-royal-pageant-for-free-7818043.html

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari on Fri 8 Jun - 21:10

"Even under a representative system of government it is possible to paralyse a nation by maintaining the fiction that a reigning family is a necessity of good government. Now, one of two things must be – either the British people are fit to govern themselves or they are not. If they are, an hereditary ruler who in legislation has more power than the whole nation is an insult; if they are not, they should not be entrusted with votes. Despotism and monarchy are compatible; democracy and monarchy are an unthinkable connexion."

Queens, Princes, Dukes, Duchesses...this isn't the twelfth century, you know! If we must have a monarch, then just the one will suffice. Get rid of the surplus hangers on...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat 9 Jun - 7:58

Perhaps Tom Windsor should be brought in to run Off Royal?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) on Mon 18 Jun - 3:12

I fail to see their purpose. The biggest benefit scroungers in Britain.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 on Wed 20 Jun - 15:40

liverbnz wrote:Dump them and sell her 10 billion pound art collection to plug a big hole in our debt. If you think about it, it's bloody ridiculous that they have that just sitting there while the rest of us have pay increased tax, pay more into our pensions, work longer and get less.

And I have to say I'm not convinced by this 'they earn us loads through tourism' lark. Is there any solid proof to this? Do hoards of people actually come into the UK to visit Buckingham Palace, most of which is shut off to the public most of the year, or do they just visit Buckingham Palace while they are in the country.

Edit: Furthermore, the royal sites will still exist with or without the monarchy so the value in forking out millions a year for a chosen few for little to no reason seems illogical.

LONDON RETAINS CROWN AS WORLD'S TOP CITY FOR TOURISTS

London has maintained it's position as the world's number one tourist destination according to the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index. It is expected to outstrip New York, Bankok, Paris, Singapore and the rest of the top 20 destinations for visitor spend per head of tourist.

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/london-crowned-as-top-destination-city-for-second-year-in-a-row-according-to-mastercard-global-index/

London was the most visited city in the world in 2011 and that figure is set to increase by 1.1% according to the Index, and visitor spending is expected to increase by 10.3%.

Some of the figures quoted by the index estimate that visitors to London from New York alone will spend around £710m ($1088) and Dublin, and that visitor numbers from Frankfurt will increase by 20.8% to 416'000.

The report was written by Dr Yuwa Hendrick-Wong, Global Economic Advisor for MasterCard Worldwide. It analyses both visitor traffic and cross-border travel spending of 132 major cities worldwide.

So.... what accounts for this phenomenal increase to tourist income to London in the last two years..? It couldn't have anything to do with the Royal Wedding last year, and the Diamond Jubilee celebrations this summer, could it..?

Of course, the Olympic Games are a factor in this year's figures, but I think that is an additional, rather than an alternative reason.

Although the final figures for the Jubilee weekend are not yet in, early estimates indicate that around £3 billion was made from the events, offset against the cost of staging them of just under £1.5 billion. Double your money in three days. A very nice bit of business for GB PLC, methinks.

To be the number one travel destination globally for two years running, with increasing visitor numbers and revenues year-on-year, at a time when the nation is suffering austerity measures has got to be a good thing and it cannot be coincidence that this upsurge in visitor numbers and spending occurs at a time when significant royal events take place.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Wed 20 Jun - 17:53

Show me proof that the increased tourism has anything to do with the Royals? Tell you what, save your energy, because there is none. It's all hearsay, vagueness and beating around the bush when it comes to the Windsors.

"Of course, the Olympic Games are a factor in this year's figures, but I think that is an additional, rather than an alternative reason." Well that settles it then, if you think it then you must be right. Lets ignore all the actual facts there are out there if you care to delve a little deeper. Lets ignore the costs to local economies due to lost business from tourism due to the jubilee. Lets also ignore the cost to the economy of taking an extra day off to watch Lizzys miserable gub getting soaked on a barge. Lets ignore the cost to business of a days lost revenue yet still having to pay their staff - businesses who are struggling already whilst we subsidise this family.

That's wonderful news that 'estimates' have shown the economy had been boosted by 1.5bn. (An impact assessment calculated break-even but sure we'll go with the estimates that have no reference to how they came about). Only another 3.5bn to go to cover the costs of that other extra day off we had last year because of the fraudsters. And that's not including the hidden costs I've mentioned above.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey on Wed 20 Jun - 22:18

Royal sites are no where near the top of the most visited tourist sites in the UK. They would still exist without the monarchy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Wed 20 Jun - 22:45

Don't be silly Crimey, the British tourism industry would collapse without the Windsor family. They bring in billions each year according to... well myths really.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Thu 21 Jun - 10:39

They bring in enough in tourism to cover their cost of living. If not for that then I'd say get rid.

I still say get rid of some assets though. Don't see why I should pay more so Windsor has some nice paintings only 20 people see.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs on Thu 21 Jun - 19:16

I think it disgusting that we have a monarchy.

Forget the money argument, which is spot on, but a bit more importantly, should we have a society where people are born into power?

No, we have a democracy and rightly so, we should not have a family in charge of the country, we should have somebody in charge who we decide is the best man (or woman) for the job. At the moment we believe it is David Cameron, personally I don't like him, but there's 11 million people out there that do and I respect those opinions.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz on Thu 21 Jun - 19:31

onlytreblewinners

The thing is (although I'm not 100% certain on this) they don't actually have any real power, they're just figureheads. The Queen still gives royal assent on new legislation but it obliged to do so. I'm not really sure she can veto anything any longer, but I'm happy to be proved wrong on that point.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs on Thu 21 Jun - 19:40

Well, if they don't have any power, then there's no point having the monarchy whatsoever. Waste of money.

I'm pretty sure, though, that they could break up a government if they didn't like what they were doing. They must also have her permission to start a new government and are officially at the Queen's service. It's difficult to say as they don't tend to use much of the power they have.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey on Thu 21 Jun - 20:16

onlytreblewinners wrote:Well, if they don't have any power, then there's no point having the monarchy whatsoever. Waste of money.

I'm pretty sure, though, that they could break up a government if they didn't like what they were doing. They must also have her permission to start a new government and are officially at the Queen's service. It's difficult to say as they don't tend to use much of the power they have.

They don't have that power any more, it changed when we decided to bring in a new monarchy when we brought in William of Orange. The monarchy is, as far as I am aware, at the will of Parliament, not the other way around.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Thu 21 Jun - 20:18

The Queen is supposedly given veto power over the PM Laugh

Though that would never be exercised.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Thu 21 Jun - 20:33

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/16/prince-charles-letters-to-ministers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/30/prince-charles-planning-chelsea-barracks

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey on Thu 21 Jun - 21:21

GG wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/16/prince-charles-letters-to-ministers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/30/prince-charles-planning-chelsea-barracks

That's not a constitutional power though. It's the same as if the owner of large company pressurised the government.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Thu 21 Jun - 21:35

Still doesn't make it right.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey on Thu 21 Jun - 21:43

GG wrote:Still doesn't make it right.

It's not right at all, but it's not exclusive to the monarchy and if we did abolish the monarchy, it would still exist.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Thu 21 Jun - 21:53

Crimey wrote:
GG wrote:Still doesn't make it right.

It's not right at all, but it's not exclusive to the monarchy and if we did abolish the monarchy, it would still exist.

Of course, but I was kind of responding to the point that they had zero influence.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum