The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger's not happy...

+27
Fader
mystiroakey
Caito
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
Gareth_NI
raycastleunited
links
4putt
Lairdy
monty junior
Shotrock
Skydriver
Bob_the_Job
super_realist
ScottieD18
Leff
Taylorman
oldparwin
GT350
George1507
Diggers
navyblueshorts
McLaren
Redrage
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
31 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Tiger's not happy... - Page 2 Empty Tiger's not happy...

Post by incontinentia Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

...about Hank Haney's new book, just wait til he sees what Stevie Williams has in store.

Unusual to see Tiger voicing strong opinions in the media, maybe he's opening up more... or maybe the book is worth reading!

What do you think, is this poor form on Haney's part?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/01/20/tiger-woods-will-not-be-reading-ex-swing-coach-hank-haneys-tell-all-book-2/

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Tiger's not happy... - Page 2 Empty Re: Tiger's not happy...

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Super

Do you really think it is morally acceptable to write a book about a friend without consulting them first?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:40 am

Mac, Personally I wouldn't do it. Is it morally right? I haven't read it so it depends on the context it was written, Morality?, That's not the question. Is it legally right, yes. Will people be interested, sadly yes.

What I can't fathom is that Woods is dim enough not to think that people might try to cash in on his fame for their own gain. Regardless of any perceived "friendship"

Will I read it, categorically not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Where had Woods said anything that makes you think he doesn't expect people to write about him ? He clearly does expect it but doesn't like it. How does that make him stupid?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Super

If you really want I can read it to you, as given how often you miss the point of others I am sure you have reading difficulties.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Diggers, Mac,
I'm sure Woods expects people to write about him, and I'm sure he doesn't like what they have written on this occasion, but if he was a decent human being in the moral department then they might not have something selacious to write about. The tail is not wagging the dog here. Woods has to take responsibility for Haney having something to write about in the first place. Of course he doesn't need to like it, but it's his fault for giving him something to write about in the first place isn't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

Super,

The question is "is this poor form on Haney's part?"

Looks like you are moving a tinny bit towards the "yes " view. The question is about Haney's values, not Tigers

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

Scottie, There are hundreds of "unofficial" biographies written about people. I don't see any difference here, it's just dirt dishing.

Is it poor form by Haney? Probably, but I can hardly see how Woods can be "unhappy" about it being written. Surely after 15 years as a pro it should be water off a ducks back.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:02 pm

Why are you obsessed with thinking its salacious? You seem to be transferring Woods affairs into every part of his life. He might simply just prefer former colleagues to write about time they spent together.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

In which case why should he be unhappy about being written about?
He must meet more "insincere" people than almost anyone else, you'd think he might have learned to be a little more guarded.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm

Because it concerns him and he'd rather it wasn't in the public domain. It's really not a tricky concept.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

Well he can't have it both ways Diggers. He's happy to use the media when it suits him, but doesn't like it when he doesn't?

A typical view from big name sportsmen or celebrities. If you don't want stuff in the public domain then pick your "friends" more carefully and behave in a way in which doesn't create a situation which certain people might want to read about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:21 pm

What, so you are saying he shouldnt have employed Haney as a coach in case he went off to write a book about him ? How could he possibly know that was going to happen ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

Of course not, I just can't really see what he's upset about (if he even is). I'm sure far worse things have been written about him.

If you live in the media, then you have to take all aspects of it. Whether that be from your coach or not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm

Again....back to the simple concept....he'd prefer the books not to be written. Whether you cant se why he'd be bothered about it is neither here nor there as its not something you will have had any experience of.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm

Of course, but surely if you are part of the media spotlight you come across stuff you like written about you and stuff you don't. I'd have thought he'd have got to a point by now where it A) Doesn't bother him and B) is too bored of it to comment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm

I think all he is being is consistent. Throughout his career he has not wanted people he has worked with to talk about the time they have spent together.
All he has done is reiterated that point when asked about it. My point is I have no idea as to why that should be a reason to have a go at someone.
He is entitled to an opinion on a matter directly concerning him , he gave it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Of course he is Diggers, just seems odd that he bothers to comment at all. If I was in his situation I couldn't care less as long as it wasn't libelous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:01 pm

Surely he is to be commended for giving an honest answer rather than no comment.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:05 pm

Perhaps, It's high time though that somebody insisted that journalists started asking better questions though. If I was Woods I'd have started taking the urine out of them a long time ago.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:13 pm

Super,

Tiger has always tried hard to keep his private life private. Before the scandle the criticism of Tiger was that he did not give interviews, then when he did they were limited to a few questions and he always repeated the same bland answers. He always gave me the clear impression what he was doing the very minimum for sponsors, press and fans.

He's been dragged screaming into the "media spotlight" so not the best or arguements to raise. A far cry from our UK selebs who sell their weddings, first phots of kids etc.

On a related point. I would expect Haney will give us an insight into Steve Williams working relationship with Tiger and probably some insights into William's character. Was he a loyal servant to Tiger who didn't mind upsetting the press and fans in an attempt to protect Tiger and he only turned nasty after Tiger betrayed him or has always been an arrogent egomaniac.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:18 pm

Scottie, and now we see why he tried to keep it quiet, he had a lot to lose.

I'd rather you do a Paul Scholes and live a quiet life or go all in for the media. You can't really have it both ways and pick and choose which elements you take.

He doesn't really help himself though, because he's not a very dynamic interviewee, he makes Andy Murray look like Billy Connoly on Michael Parkinson.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

One thing I know for sure: Great players make for great swing coaches. For every instructor that spread his "magic dust" on a player that does well, there are plenty of examples of player who took a nose diver under that same tutelage. Just check Butch Harmon's list of ex and current high-playing clients.

Haney's certainly smart to write this book - and ride Tiger's coattails one last time. But he and Stevie better start searching far and wide if they want to repeat "their" success again.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:42 pm

Can it really be that bad? Except the cheating incident with his wife i have never heard a fellow professional or coach come out with anything really slating Tiger as a human being. Of course he was wrong for what he did, but i gurantee at some point, in many people's lives on here they have been unfaithful, or certainly seriously considered it. But later regretted it, you live and learn, Tiger isn't a bad guy but he's just about the most pressurised sportsmen on the planet (and has been since he was 21) so no wonder he's going to be edgy about what people who were once close to him are going to say. They will make money, i'm sure Elin's heart doesn't bleed to much knowing she has world wide sympathy and hundreds of millions of Tiger's money.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

Shotrock wrote:One thing I know for sure: Great players make for great swing coaches. For every instructor that spread his "magic dust" on a player that does well, there are plenty of examples of player who took a nose diver under that same tutelage. Just check Butch Harmon's list of ex and current high-playing clients....
Now, that is a good point.

I understand that TW was probably responding to questions about the impending book but, IMO, he's made a mistake by sounding off like he has before the book is published. Sorry to say Tiger, but it never occurred to you that Haney might like to write about his time with you??? If Haney's being salacious, then that's pretty pathetic but, if he's talking about the stuff that Scottie mentioned:

ScottieD18 wrote:...So long as Hank tells the story from "how he coached the best golfer in the world" point of view then it could be an interesting read. How did Hank cope with the responsibility of changing the best golfer's swing? When the changes did not work did he doubt himself, did he change the approach? How hard does Tiger practice? Where does he practice and what facilities deos he need? What are their practice methods? Do they develop the swing changed together? Who has final say?
I think that's more than OK and only someone like Woods would have a problem with it. If he wants to object to that sort of stuff becoming public, well, of course that's up to him but it just makes him sound more of a plum.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

It's funny you think it makes Woods look like a plum , Haney knows exactly what Woods views are but will choose to publish anyway after already being paid for his services, I assume none of the money is going to Woods or to charity, let's be clear here he is doing this to make money. Only one person is a plum here and it's not Woods.
He has literally done nothing here other than state he'd prefer the book not to be written and won't be reading it. I cannot see how that is not a completely reasonable viewpoint and if it came from anyone other than Woods nobody would bother commenting on it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

I'm not saying Haney isn't a plum but I don't think Woods has done himself any favours.
This is a thread about Haney's impending book on Woods; of course it's going to be commented on. From my point of view, I'd say the same about anyone i.e. that it's perhaps not the best approach to be making the sort of comments Woods has made before the book's come out or he's read it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

Woods could save 50 kids from a burning bus and cure cancer and he'd still get stick for it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

Maybe. Not from me though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:03 am

I'd prefer if Woods was on the burning bus to be fair and 50 kids had the chance to rescue him but decided against it on the advice of their media trainers. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

Like the article linked below states - Woods criticising someone being self serving and for trying to make money. The irony...

link to scotsman story

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

Laugh Nice article Lairdy.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

I honestly think that article misses the point by a country mile.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

You would Diggers, you've never knowingly agreed with anyone about anything. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:55 am

I certainly dont agree with much thats been written on this thread.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GT350 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 5:37 am

S_R --- Being a perceptive individual, can I take it that Mr. Woods is not currently at the top of your Christmas card list?

GT350

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:04 am

Would agree it perhaps ott to criticise Woods for his comments but pointing out the irony is fair game.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:46 am

Woods is making money the way every other golfer goes about doing it. They are hardly the most self sacrificing sportsmen, the whole game is about cash and money lists. Im sure he isnt the only guy getting appearance money this week.
What he is not doing is betraying a confidence and shafting a colleague.You can argue the toss all day about Haneys right to do this but it is a completely different scenario to which Woods is earning his cash.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:54 am

You have to wonder just how greedy he is though Diggers when he made $90 million out of endorsements alone last year, that he'll travel half way across the globe to get another million or so.

Still don't think Haney has done anything wrong, he's not an employee of Woods anymore and he's certainly not shafting him. He's not under any obligation to keep quiet.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:09 am

He is also playing in a top flight golf event with a strong field and leaving America. Funnily enough these were things people were saying they wished he did more before. Now he does it and he is just a mercenary. Hey ho.
Haney knows exactly what Woods views are on people talking about his working relationships and he has chosen to ignore it and profit from it. If you think thats acceptable behaviour thats up to you, I dont. What uis completely acceptable behaviour is for Woods to have an opinion on it which is my continuing point. Woods has done literally nothing wrong in this instance and still gets stick, same old same old.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

Diggers, Woods is perfectly within his rights to profit from his relationship with Haney if he chose to write about it (presuming he can write).

The fact that it might be against Woods wishes is irrelevant as he doens't make the laws, and certainly can't enforce his views in trying to persuade Haney what might be "moral".
He can say that he thinks it's wrong for Haney to talk about it, but that is all.
I wonder how many of us would be so virtuous the situation.

It's good that Woods is playing abroad for a change, just a shame he needs a financial carrot to do so. He ought to be playing in these sorts of fields for nothing (as all the players should)
Appearance fees, or a percentage thereof could be used to support financially struggling players.
No golfer needs appearance fees.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:35 am

Groundhog day.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

According to a Talksport reporter, Woods is not happy, no surprise there, with the draw for tomorrows tournament at Abu Dahbi.
He's playing with Donald and Mcllroy.

Also he wasn't happy when asked about Haneys book. Reverting to single word replies.

Last edited by 4putt on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by links Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

4putt wrote:According to a Talksport reporter, Woods is not happy, no surprise there, with the draw for tomorrows tournament at Abu Dahbi.

Not a bad group to start the season off with.

links

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

I can't really think of anything that would make that miserable git happy

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

links wrote:
4putt wrote:According to a Talksport reporter, Woods is not happy, no surprise there, with the draw for tomorrows tournament at Abu Dahbi.

Not a bad group to start the season off with.
Unless they embarrass you....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

super_realist wrote:I can't really think of anything that would make that miserable git happy

You would think his appearance money would make him happy. Reportedly around more than 1M, but I doubt it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/tiger-woods-fee-abu-dhabi-hsbc-championship-conference_n_1228263.html

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

If I'm paying that kind of money I put that threesome together!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Exactly, he's getting paid more than he's worth and he's moaning about his pairing?

Is it any wonder I think he's a twit?

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry S_R, 'twit' it'll have to be.)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

What exactly did he say about the pairing? Anyone know?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

Probably absoloutly nothing Shotrock.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next