The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Money No Object

+5
puligny
goldwolf
drive4show
Maverick
Doc
9 posters

Go down

Money No Object Empty Money No Object

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:42 pm

You you think your like Mav's wife and have a load of cash, and money is no object. Would you be happy enough with your existing equipment, or would you go to your club fitter and give him a shopping list.

Mine would be a set of:
Muira Series 57 for a cool £2,500
2 Vega VW-08 wedges at £180 each
KZG u-Irons 22 and 26 at £150 each
Vega RAD-02 Driver and 3-wood at £300 each
Bettinardi Prototype putter £560
Total £4,320

Great looking kit and all with great reviews. I wouldn't mind 5 and 6 hour rounds, humping this bag around Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Money No Object Empty Re: Money No Object

Post by Maverick Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:19 pm

Yes Mrs Mav does think money grows on trees and that Mr Mav will just foot the bill!
Invariably I do as she does a stellar job at home with the little ones whilst I pretend to work and play a lot of Golf. But how I wish money was no object. If it were my bag would be like this.

Driver: stick with what I have Nike Black Machspeed round with Rip shaft £245
3wood: even though its white!!!! I'll go the new burner does feel good off the face £149
Hybrid: stick with my cobra baffler 2H
Irons : Scratch Golf Forged blades aprrox £1200
Wedges 48,52 and 58 Degree Scratch golf approx £150 each
Putter if I could still get one! The old Wilson TPA I had as a teenager

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:31 pm

Mav, I like that Scratch kit and was reading something last week about them. The forgings are done in Japan and then sent back to the states to be reground by hand and look really good. never seen any over here to have a crack with though. I never thought I'd see the day when you would even look at white bat, never mind buying one Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:43 pm

Have to say I've slated the white bats because they are white and a bit garish! But I used to have the old superfast TP and it was fantastic but when the bats got stolen replaced it with the Nike, tried out the new ahem White ones this weekend at a range my mate runs tried the TP driver with a 9.5 xstiff fujikura and have to say even though I wasn't a fan of the white head the driver and 3wood performances were absolutely 2nd to none and the swing speeds increase a few mph. I will stick with my Nike driver as I have no reason to change it, it behaves superbly and gets it out there regularly 280+, but the 3wood will find its way into my bag. So even though I'm not a convert on the colour performance is most important thing to me with any club.

I'm headed over stateside in july for a week work project and staying a further week to play a few courses, the company I'm working for out there have corporate membership to the Doral resort so they are putting me up there and catering for me to. Have a weeks free golf on the blue monster and Dorals other courses. Can't wait! And am hoping to try and look at some scratch golf gear though I may come away empty handed as my gear is working well and doesn't need replacing but who knows the shiny magpie effect may kick in and I may be persuaded to buy something!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:17 pm

Really not sure what I'd like to put in my bag. Would probably go for a really classic looking 'players' blade, Titleist and Nike are both doing nice ones just now. Might also be tempted by the R11, even if just to see how much better it is than my current R9.
Only things I'm really looking for right now are wedges. Ping Tour S are the current favourites, might change by the time I get to the shops!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:33 pm

I'd probably just upgrade to Mizuno MP-68 irons and some Japan Prototype Mizuno wegdes, woods to Titleist 910's.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 23 Mar 2011, 8:20 am

Mav you lucky guy. If you're thinking about buying some Scratch, heres a tip. Speak to Golfsmith or Pure Forged over here and get a demo. Make your choice and then contact a Scratch builder Stateside (Easy to find near a Doral resort) Tell them to order and you will visit them on day 1 or 2 of your trip, to be fitted and have shafts selected. This will give them a few days to build and be ready for collection and use for the start of your golf week.

Some research I did a couple of weeks ago, was showing consistantly that prices in the States were exactly the same digits, but the prefix was different. Example Muira UK price £1,700 and US price $1,600, and this formula was working for Epon, Scratch, KZG, Vega, Alpha, Bettinardi etc

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 23 Mar 2011, 9:42 am

Never been an equipment junkie, but bought latest clubs on a fitting trip for Titleist AP2s. Was persuaded to try Srixon i701s and could only tell the difference in the price. Bought the Srixons and have been really pleased with them. Main thing for me was to try some forged irons and definitely the right thing for me. Off to the States shortly and will shop around, but very interested to see what the AP2s cost over there?
I think the only things I am likely to do are buy a wider range of Vokey wedges (to add to the confusion) so I have a choice of current 54 and 60, and proposed 52 and 58 - and who knows maybe more - and a strong 3 wood.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:27 am

Strong 3 wood???

You hit it far enough as it is for an old codger :run2:

Have a great trip, catch up when you get back thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 23 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

D4S - it's for leaning on!!!
I'll get you guys over to Remedy when I'm back.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 23 Mar 2011, 5:33 pm

Thanks to a bit of nepotism, I'm hoping to play Remedy Oak some time this year.

I've deliberately not found out too much about the course so that I have no pre-conceived thoughts about the place. I know enough that I'm looking forward to it, though.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 23 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

I've never liked the look of those KZ irons. They look like knock-offs to me.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Mar 2011, 6:29 pm

Driver & 3 wood: Ping G10 with perfect shaf
Irons: got to be scratch golf sb-1
Wedges: scratch golf 1018, some sort of tour custom logo
putter: Any classic blade type scotty.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

Mercurio

Talk nicely to puligny about Remedy and combine it with a game at Broadstone while your down this way thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by zhagga Wed 30 Mar 2011, 11:25 am

I'd keep the sticks I've got, but I'd have

a chauffeur to drive the buggy Yahoo

zhagga

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 30 Mar 2011, 11:36 am

zhagga wrote:I'd keep the sticks I've got, but I'd have

a chauffeur to drive the buggy Yahoo