The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Advent of the Rugby Disco

+8
Mickado
dogtooth
Cari
thebandwagonsociety
MrsP
Glas a du
pontylad
Luckless Pedestrian
12 posters

Go down

The Advent of the Rugby Disco Empty The Advent of the Rugby Disco

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

When did the stadium announcer become a DJ?

It used to be that the only music a spectator would hear at a rugby match came from the brass band that played before kick-off – and you only got a brass band at Test matches. Beyond that, the crowd would have to provide their own music, singing traditional songs and the hymns they sang at chapel. That changed with the advent of professionalism and it became common for music to be played over the loudspeaker when a try was scored; some southern-hemisphere sides asked their players what song they wanted to be played if they scored, which brought a personal element to proceedings. If there were complaints from traditionalists at these developments, the introduction of music to celebrate the scoring of tries was otherwise generally accepted as a fun, inoffensive addition to the game.

The situation has changed in recent seasons. No longer is the playing of music limited to the build-up to a game and to the scoring of tries; now, stadium announcers seem to have been given free rein to play music as they see fit during play.

Towards the end of last year I attended a RaboDirect Pro 12 match at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea between the Ospreys and Munster. At every break in play, whenever a player needed treatment, the stadium announcer would blast out a chart hit until play was about to resume. Fair enough, you might say; but towards the end of the game, with Munster camped in the Ospreys’ 22 and pushing for what would have been a match-winning try, there came a break in play. The travelling fans started up with ‘Fields of Athenry,’ the home crowd responded with the chant of ‘Ospreys, Ospreys,’ a genuine atmosphere was building; and what happened? Well of course, music came blasting out of the stadium speakers and – inevitably – the singing stopped. This, to me, was proof that the playing of music during play actually takes away from the experience of a rugby match, rather than enhancing it, which must be the intention of those who have decided to have music played.

Let us look at this season’s Six Nations championship. The opening weekend saw Scotland play England for the Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield. Sure enough, music came blaring out during breaks in play. In Dublin, following the singing of ‘Ireland’s Call,’ the stadium announcer ordered the fans to ‘stay on your feet and keep your flags in the air’ as he shoehorned in a final record just before kick-off. (Do rugby spectators require a director these days?) And last weekend, as Wales faced Scotland at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, music was blasted out at stun volume as the teams took to the pitch – for the second half.

Now, the defence for this intrusion of piped music into the game will be that it is done in the name of entertainment. But surely in buying a ticket to a rugby match, the spectator has made it clear how he wants to be entertained. If he wanted to listen to music, he would have bought a ticket to a gig or gone to a club – or stayed at home and listened to a CD. And as I have witnessed, there is a danger that the atmosphere of a rugby match – that wonderful, communal match-day experience - could actually be being put at risk as a consequence of the music being played.

Please, don't play it again, Sam.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

The Advent of the Rugby Disco Empty Re: The Advent of the Rugby Disco

Post by pontylad Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm

clap

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:58 pm

clap
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added "spoiler" around the graphics - KRD)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Is that Orson Welles applauding my article?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes, before he did the Carlsberg adverts.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Indeed Lucky.

I don't think we have music during breaks in play at Ravenhill though we do have our "Stand up...." when the players come onto the pitch and music when we score.

Actually we had a bit of a "clapometer" type thing at half time in one of the preseason friendlies last year to decide what music we wanted Sparky to dance to at half time!

It's not just rugby though. We were at an indoor athletics meet at the weekend and several times we had music at totally inappropriate junctures.

You really don't want a blast of Lady Gaga when you are "set" or just about to High jump!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm sure they were playing music at an indoor athletics event in Glasgow a few weeks ago, Mrs P. As you say, it's likely to put off the athletes, and the athletes are what drew the crowd in the first place.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 pm

We actually had an out door event at the very end of last season which was fairly laid back, even though it was a Provincial Championship. It was for Multi-eventers so not big numbers of athletes.

They played music in the back ground but it was all pretty mellow stuff and we all thought it contributed to some slightly lack luster performances that day.

Or maybe it had just been a long season?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Lady Gaga! Does the P stand for poker face?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm

There's mellow and then there's soporific!

I'd like to know whether any fans of these sports requested music to be played, or whether (as I suspect) someone somewhere decided that their sport needed music played over the top of it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:45 pm

At the meet last season I think the music was for the officals but at the indoor one last weekend I think it was some sort of "Auto Default" setting on the PA system as it always started just after an announcement.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I can think of a way of 'resetting' that, Mrs P!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Laugh

At one point the music blasted out at ear splitting volume until someone found the right button to press to switch it off.

To be fair to the organisers it is a venue which is used for Ice Hockey games and concerts. This is the only athletics meet held there and it was the last time it will be held there aswell.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm

I fear the onset of that dreaded word, razzmatazz. Rugby needs razzmatazz like Mike Phillips needs lessons in self-confidence.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:15 pm

If its short and sharp then I'm fine with it. After Leinster score a try in the RDS, as the kicker runs back after the conversion attempt, the announcer declares who scored the try and the scores. Then a quick bugle/trumpet and everyone cheers. I've come to like it.
Leinster always come out to the same song as well (someone will give the name) thinks its Welcome to the Jungle. They don't play the whole thing, just an intro from just before they appear out of the changing rooms to as the last player crosses the whitewash.
But, the same announcer decided to announce/advertise the next home game and ticket sales while the current game was still being played! peed me right off. To be honest I wanted him to be cut off mid-sentence and the speakers to ring out with a single gunshot.
Music in general breaks in play is a terrible idea, they would be smarter to plant/get some regulars to get singing/vocal for free beer...... actually there is an idea (though 'drink responsibly' would be tricky), have people apply for a singing section, that section gets reduced bar price (based on their ticket seat) and if they aren't vocal enough, it gets given to a new section.... alternate it around a bit.... I'd sing extra loud for a pint, and then after a few pints I'd just sing extra loud!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I fear the onset of that dreaded word, razzmatazz. Rugby needs razzmatazz like Mike Phillips needs lessons in self-confidence.

That's the sort of irreverence I expect actually in your next article.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Well if rugby has turned into a disco, at least the Irish come dressed for the occasion. I love their disco shirts!!

In terms of music playing - the Scottish internationals at Murrayfield have to be the worst offender. They played a song everytime there was a lull in the game!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 am

The best I've seen is in Rugby League. Every time there was a fight on the pitch:

music do you really want to hurt me? music

Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:16 am

nice one luckless. thumbsup

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks, Dogtooth! Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:34 am

Well put luckless. I must say I do like the idea that a player can request a certain song to be played when they score. That’s pretty nifty. I don’t mind it before the game, or after a score but at any other point in the match it’s infuriating.

In the RDS they used to play some Van Morrison riff when we scored a penalty/dropgoal/conversion but now they’ve changed it to that song from the darts (follow the sun?), it’s appalling crap.

I do like when the ref goes to the TMO and they play the really loud heartbeat sound though.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:41 am

I thought the Super 14 (or was it still Super 12?) teams playing the try-scorer's requested song was a great idea too, Mickado. I don't mind them playing songs after a try, but I do object to them playing music every time the physio comes on with the magic sponge.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:43 am

Couldn’t agree more.

The first time I experienced it live was when Leinster played Sarries at Wembley. Literally EVERY time there was a break in play they’d play “Stand up for the Saracens” (by Right Said Fred) over the PA.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 am

I'd chose blue velvet.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

I think I’d go with Knights of Cydonia by Muse. Or You make my Dreams by Hall and Oats.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I'd choose 'Especially for You' by Kylie and Jason.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:12 pm

luckless - brilliant, suits the mood when they all go in hugging 'n' all!

Would be thinking the Who track from the start of those CSI episodes, dive over the line and have that intro blairing out over the loudspeaker.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 pm

what about that 'b!tch' song by meredith brooks for anyone walking to the sin bin?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm

It would be academic for me of course, I used to make tries not score them Whistle
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Would it be cruel to suggest Handel's 'Hallelujah Chorus' for when Scotland score?

Run

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Or Blue Moon?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy David lookalike Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Blue velvet? what the Flip has that got to do with anything. Arer you mentakl or what?

Take it to the limit - eagles for me please.

Tommy David lookalike

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:47 pm

i'd presume the church would want to mix his own, improv, after scoring a try... the subs could set up his mixing decks beyond the try area at the start of each half.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:13 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:i'd presume the church would want to mix his own, improv, after scoring a try... the subs could set up his mixing decks beyond the try area at the start of each half.

At the RDS and Lansdowne Road, maybe!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Tommy David lookalike wrote:Blue velvet? what the Flip has that got to do with anything. Arer you mentakl or what?

Take it to the limit - eagles for me please.

That's the point Tommy, it's an ironic comment on the whole sorry business. Your choice is the typical cliched hackneyed response I'd expect from Ospreys players. Are you an Ospreys fan?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:40 am

I've noticed this too this season down the Lib Alyn and it is annoying. Especially as its mostly 'chart hits' from now 15! I prefer a tune from the band if there's a break in play, not roxette. They play some mickey taking music in the 2020 when a batsmen gets out cheaply. Maybe we could do the same? Very Happy
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 am

luckless...I agree the biggest issue with it is when it gets in the way of crowds chanting.

I can only imagine in a few years we'll get a situation where the crowd hushes politely waiting for a kicker to stroke over a 50m penalty only for the stadium anouncer to bang on some god awful pop hit from 10 years previously at full volume.

The worst of it is that most Union fans are exactly the sort of people who despise loud pop music.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

It just seems so inappropriate to me.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 am

Would be thinking the Who track from the start of those CSI episodes,

'Who are you?'.

I don't like music at games, I can tolerate it when players are coming out of the tunnel but otherwise the players provide enough excitement and I particularly despise rubbish like the Sarries song blared out after each score. What really annoyed me is that in the AP Final last year the announcers insisted on playing barely related crap everytime Tigers slotted a penalty. We ban it from our home games so why do we have to put up with it at Twickers, let the other team do what they like and let the fans cheering be our response.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Would be thinking the Who track from the start of those CSI episodes,

'Who are you?'.

Depends which CSI that poster's on about. CSI (Vegas) use Who Are You?, CSI:NY use Baba O'Reily CSI:Miami use Won't Get Fooled Again all by the same band.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

If you're going to have any Who songs played then surely

Subsitute - for when a blood replacement comes on.
A Quick One While He's Away - for a tap penalty or sneaky lineout.
Join Together or Squeezebox- at scrumtime.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down