Associate and Affiliate cricket discussion thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Associate and Affiliate cricket discussion thread

Post by Shelsey93 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 am

I thought I'd create this thread to discuss the Associate and Affiliate matches/tournaments going on around the world.

Scotland are currently going well against UAE in the Intercontinental Cup match in Sharjah after bowling them out for 100, and then posting 305 with a ton from Richie Berrington. UAE currently 159/3 and only 41 behind though with key man Saqib Ali (FC average 54) in.

Meanwhile, in the 1st ODI at Mombasa, Ireland are 193/7 against Kenya. Paul Stirling made 46 and Kevin O'Brien 39 but things are quite slow going otherwise on a pitch which, on the evidence of the Intercontinal Cup game, turns considerably.

Finally Malaysia, Argentina, Guernsey, Bahrain, Cayman Islands and hosts Singapore are contesting World Cricket League Division Five. Guernsey bowled out Bahrain for 49 and won by 9 wickets on the opening day today while in a pair of rain affected matches, Argentina are falling well short against Malaysia and the home side are just about to complete a win over the Cayman Islands.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Re: Associate and Affiliate cricket discussion thread

Post by GG on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Poor result for Ireland, I was expecting them to beat Kenya with ease.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:19 pm

GG wrote:Poor result for Ireland, I was expecting them to beat Kenya with ease.

Yes. This tour so far has been a good wake-up call for them that being the best is one thing (as they are amongst Associates) and staying there is quite another. Whilst the conditions might be testing (no TV/YouTube coverage so hard to tell conclusively) they are man-for-man a far superior side to the Kenyans.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Trevor Chappell is coaching Singapore at the World Cricket League tournament.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Trevor Chappell is coaching Singapore at the World Cricket League tournament.

Corporal - I've held back any joke there. Trust you'll do the same. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 pm

More pretty one-sided cricket in Singapore on day two. Bahrain bouncing back to beat Argentina by 65 runs and Malaysia winning by 9 wickets over the woeful Cayman Islands who had recovered to 126 all out, having been 36-8. Meanwhile, Chappell's charges didn't need to revert to underhand tactics to beat Guernsey comfortably.

The table after 2/5 pool matches is:

Singapore 4
Malaysia 4
Guernsey 2
Bahrain 2
Argentina 0
Cayman Islands 0

Meanwhile, Scotland got home by seven wickets in their Intercontinental Cup match v UAE but are still some way behind table-toppers Ireland.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by BuLioli on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 am

Shelsey93 wrote:

Yes. This tour so far has been a good wake-up call for them that being the best is one thing (as they are amongst Associates) and staying there is quite another. Whilst the conditions might be testing (no TV/YouTube coverage so hard to tell conclusively) they are man-for-man a far superior side to the Kenyans.

Well the Irish seem to have bucked up their ideas a bit today. Have reduced the Kenyans to 21-3. Rankin being particularly miserly with the new ball.

BuLioli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 am

Ireland obviously out to prove a point, 34/4 now.

I still think there could be a surprise in the T20 qualifiers, particularly with Ireland missing Nial O'Brien (arguably their best T20 player) and not picking Tim Murtagh (another fine T20 player - strange omission if you ask me).

Italy with their latest "finds" could create a surprise or two, although their bowling should be too weak to see them claim 1 of the two places. Ditto PNG. Namibia, Kenya will also fancy their chances. Holland will probably struggle without RTD, whilst USA, Denmark, Nepal and Uganda are probably the weaker sides out there.

By no means have Ireland and Afghanistan got this sewn up.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Crunching win for Ireland in the end in the 2nd ODI, Ed Joyce the man of the match with 88. As has been pointed out by IrelandCricket on Twitter these ODIs are 'de facto' World Cup Qualifiers as they count towards the World Cricket League Championship rankings table which will eventually provide two automatic places at the 2015 World Cup without the need to take part in the qualifying tournament. Ireland are early leaders of this tough they've played 2 more games than unbeaten Scotland.

3 Twenty20 Internationals to follow between Kenya and Ireland.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:08 pm

BuLioli wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

Well the Irish seem to have bucked up their ideas a bit today. Have reduced the Kenyans to 21-3. Rankin being particularly miserly with the new ball.

He could never get in the assembly hall without having to duck though.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Ireland have smashed Kenya in the first T20, overhauling their total of 107 with six wickets in hand and four and a half overs to spare. Dockrell took 3-15 as Kenya never got going. A statistical quirk is that Ireland were 7-1 after one ball of their reply.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:13 pm

3 easy wins on the trot for ireland over kenya, looks like that initial dreadful performance was the kick up the bakside thy needed!!
Apparently sorensen has been bowling very well n is a useful addition to the side; stil wish thy brought murtagh n o'brien to T20 qualifiers as scotland are a good side n a couple of others cud spring ireland a surprise. Ireland need a couple of batsmen to come thru as our bowling is ok at the highest level...hopefully balbirne, ackland or shannon can emerge over the next cupla yrs. Also a guy called mikey tairoa (nzl but irish qualified n only 23) has performed v well in irish domestic cricket, hopefully he gets a run at some stage

But i think overall the 4 contenders for qualification for the world t20 championships are afghan, ireland, scotland n holland. It is worth noting that holland wil be without Tendo so that is a massive loss & afghanastan possibly without hammid hassan who is the best bowler in assoc cricket. So ireland wil not be the only weakened side & thus surprises could happen

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:16 pm

atletico, I think Holland will struggle as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will be without RTD and Cooper. I think Namibia could spring a few surprises...still think it will end up being Ireland and Aghan qualifying. Really think the ICC missed a trick by not making the WT20 a 16 team comp.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:25 pm

I thought Cooper was still ok for Holland, if he's out I think they'll really struggle (having already lost prob the best (ever?) associate/affiliate player in RTD).

The thing about T20 cricket is it only really takes one batsman to get going, and all of a sudden you've got 160+ to chase. Which is why I do think Italy could spring a shock or two (but surely not enough to get one of 2 places, had it been 1 of 6 I'd have really fancied their chances). Obviously Berg and Di Venutto are their main men, but guys like Northcote, Crawley can genuinely bat as well.

Namibia have a couple of very good bats as well. Kenya seem to be struggling against Ireland which isn't all that encouraging.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Another win for Ireland today but much closer this time - they batted first and scored 107 (Joyce 38, Wilson 32, S. Ngoche 4-14) before Kenya fell two runs short as the spinners dominated again in Mombasa.

So, Ireland narrowly win the Intercontinental Cup match, the ODIs are tied 1-1 and Ireland clean sweep the T20s 3-0.

Meanwhile, Singapore and Malaysia took advantage of South East Asian conditions in Singapore to win the two promotion slots at World Cricket League Division Five.

The final table is:

Singapore 8 (Promoted)
Malaysia 8 (Promoted)
Guernsey 6
Cayman Islands 4
Bahrain 4 (Relegated)
Argentina 0 (Relegated)

The teams play-off tomorrow for 5th Place, 3rd Place and the Title.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 am

Guernsey will be disappointed, they really should have beaten Malaysia. I'm disappointed Argentina got relegated and Singapore promoted based on the development programs of both countries. I'm pretty sure if you come back in 10 years time, positions will be reversed. Pleased that Malaysia (who are investing in local talent) and Bahrain (who aren't, to say the least) got what they deserved.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 pm

ya ireland scraped to victory in the last match in mombassa & was a good fightbak...seriously need to sort out our batting, i think consistently it is the skill-set ireland come up short in, particularly against the full members. I think it has something to do with the domestic system at the moment where the internationals regularly play against run-of-the-mill club cricketers.

Result of the last few days tho, was scotland's comfortable victory over sri lanka A in their recent T20 game. They are a good young team and the biggest threat to afghanastan n ireland in my opinion. they remind me (ability-wise) of ireland 06/07. Also thy have the confidence of beating ireland in an ODI last summer. Despite Tendo's absence holland stil have a strong batting lineup at assoc level, bowling is a problem

Mike: totally agree wid ur point on italy

GG: Cooper is named in their squad; has he pulled out?

I think we all no its a sham that the icc decided to reduce the number of teams qualifying to the T20 world cup. Complete sham as thy only did it becos thy had to backtrack on their decision for the ODI world cup.

Does any1 no if the qualifying competition is being televised anywhere?

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Singapore won the academic final of WCL Div 5 by 9 wickets.

It would be nice if at least a few of the key qualifiers were televised but highly unlikely as the ICC won't feel the size of the audience for them would justify the costs. There will probably be YouTube highlights of some of the matches though.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 am

how are ireland doing?

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm

cricketfan90: ireland played a 1st class game, 2odis n 3 20/20s against kenya n won them all xcept a ODI, which was conincendentally was probably their worst performance since gettin tonked by nzl 4yrs ago. Thy are playing the warriors on th 5th n 6th in warmup games for the T20 qualifier.

I personally think its a disgrace there is no coverage of the qualifier, even a 1hr highlights package of the day's action. There is only so much bloody drawn out series i can take like pakistan v england n aus v india...2months of the same teams playing one another is ridiculous

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:34 am

Ireland and Afghanistan play the first of two ODIs today in Dublin. The matches take on added importance as they count towards the 'World Cricket League Championship' from which the top two teams will automatically qualify for the 2015 World Cup. It is early days yet but the Afghans need to get some wins under their belt, as they've already lost 3 matches. Ireland are currently top with 5 wins.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:31 pm

1st ODI rained out, but there is a reserve day

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:Trevor Chappell is coaching Singapore at the World Cricket League tournament.

Guildford - only just noticed your comment. No jokes from me, but as a matter of opinion I do reckon Trevor Chappell could be quite good coach of the under 6s team.... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:13 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Guildford - only just noticed your comment. No jokes from me, but as a matter of opinion I do reckon Trevor Chappell could be quite good coach of the under 6s team.... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am

Ireland's 2nd ODI with Afghanistan is finally underway - the 1st ODI was rained off even on the reserve day. 9-1 in the fourth with Stirling dismissed. The dangerous Dawlat Zadran (I've seen him bowl on video a couple of times and he looks quality) is bowling.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Good win for Ireland against Afghanistan today. By all accounts, fine bowling and fielding to successfully defend 163.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Apparently Russia and Hungary are now affiliates, but Switzerland lost its status.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Apparently Russia and Hungary are now affiliates, but Switzerland lost its status.

No surprises there - the Swiss have two federations who both claim to be Swiss cricket.

No surprises about Russia and Hungary either. pleased for both of them.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Scotland's 4 day game with Canada has had no play on any of the first three days. Play called off at 11.40 this morning with the oufield reportedly sodden.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Scotland's 4 day game with Canada has had no play on any of the first three days. Play called off at 11.40 this morning with the oufield reportedly sodden.

This is why neitehr of those nations should ever bother with test cricket even if the ICC changes its stance. Could you imagine ever getting 5 dry days in a row ?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 am

Scotland play their 1st ODI against Canada today - like the Ireland games last week these 2 matches count towards the World Cricket League Championship.

Meanwhile, Ireland are due to start their four day game against Afghanistan in the Intercontinental Cup.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Unsurprisingly both Scotland-Canada and Ireland-Afghanistan abandoned for the day without a ball bowled...

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Impressive from Ireland to bowl out Afghanistan so cheaply without Murtagh, Rankin or Dockrell.

Canada have made a solid start against Scotland, but I fancy Scotland to chase anything under 210.

French updates: Jersey ladies beat France ladies at the week-end (thanks in the main part to a rather nice 50 from their captain Gemma Dunning - who is also a very nice person).

The french junior squad has been named for our 4-way tournament in Germany (Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg) at the start of August.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am

Mike Selig wrote:

French updates: Jersey ladies beat France ladies at the week-end (thanks in the main part to a rather nice 50 from their captain Gemma Dunning - who is also a very nice person).
Mike - maybe a bit more focus on Mr Jayasuriya and a bit less on Ms Dunning. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:

Mike - maybe a bit more focus on Mr Jayasuriya and a bit less on Ms Dunning. Very Happy

Very Happy

I see that Ireland's game with Afghanistan petered out into a draw eventually, though a 2-day win seemed a possibility at one stage.

Scotland beat Canada in an uneventful-looking ODI

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:

Laugh Laugh

Whatever the merits of Ms Dunning we do seem to have stalled totally when it comes to the prowess of Mr Jayasuriya!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Oy! I've kind of given up on Jayasuriya for the time being - perhaps the HoF should be a winter only thread, there seems to be far too much to discuss (and do) in the summer...

As a matter of interest the dutch side playing the UAE includes 5 players who played against France at the recent continental T20 (De Bruin, Shabbaz Bashir, De Grooth, Tim Gruijters and Heggleman - who is a very funny guy). And to think we really should've beaten them (having reduced them to 56/7 off 15)...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Oy! I've kind of given up on Jayasuriya for the time being - perhaps the HoF should be a winter only thread, there seems to be far too much to discuss (and do) in the summer...

As a matter of interest the dutch side playing the UAE includes 5 players who played against France at the recent continental T20 (De Bruin, Shabbaz Bashir, De Grooth, Tim Gruijters and Heggleman - who is a very funny guy). And to think we really should've beaten them (having reduced them to 56/7 off 15)...

That looked an odd Dutch line-up to me - a number of regulars (Stephan Myburgh, Tom Cooper, Mudassar Bukhari, Alexei Kervezee) seem to be missing - taking UAE lightly (why would they: UAE are going well and these matches are pretty important?) or players not making themselves available?

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Kervezee was probably made unavailable by Worcestershire; don't know about the others. I do know that they were planning on testing a few "fringe" players (including the aforementioned Bashir) in upcoming matches - perhaps they took a look at the weather and decided this would be a draw anyway so now might be a good chance to do it?

I suspect Holland are more interested in the one-day format as things stand in any case, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Right. Time for the promised match reports from the recent 4-team U18 tournament in Karlsruhe (we have to find a better name!).

The tournament:

As the name suggests, 4 teams were involved: France, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg. We needed some kind of international junior event to give our young guys experience as preparation for the U19 euro next year (and eventually to prepare these guys for senior duties) and Germany and Belgium were immediately keen to get involved, Luxemburg also want to relaunch their junior program and asked if they could tag along. Germany kindly volunteered to host.

Round robin format, 3 games in 3 days. In the case of teams finishing level on points, net run-rate (NRR) would decide the winner.

The french squad:

Quite a young side in terms of experience: 6 out of the 13 had no prior international competitive experience, 4 are new this year and 2 had their first taste of any international involvement at this tournament. A couple of our good players were unavailable due to injury and passport troubles.

The more experienced guys include Kent hopeful Zika Ali, captain-keeper Daniel Nott, and openers Avishka Liyanaarachchi and William Smati, who had recently played in the continental T20 in Holland.

Game 1: France 178/3 (33.1) beat Germany 175 all out (about 41?) by 7 wickets.

On a very hot day an excellent start to the tournament. We lost the toss and bowled first. Ollie Mawdsley quickly found his rythm but James ("Jimmy") Dawkins struggled to hit his length. The German openers had a bit of luck, and our field placings were unable to take advantage of quite a few mishits. Asad Parvez eventually made the breakthrough with a straighter pinning the batsman right in front. Ollie Mawdsley tempted the good German no3 into nicking to gully, but we couldn't really take consecutive wickets.

Asad got another, and Jimmy his first (with a terrible long hop - he won't mind my saying this), but the German no 5 (Singh) looked a fine player. Eventually it was star to star, and Zika induced an edge from a cut shot which flew to Dan Davidson at gully, where he took a fantastic reflex catch on the 2nd attempt. From then on we dominated, and wickets fell regularly until 145/9, when the last pair frustrated us for a while. Eventually the off-spin of Kamal Patel tempted their guy to hit one to cover. 175 all out, a good effort, but too many wides (30odd), a few misfields, some drops (2 easy ones, one very hard) and 176 in associate junior cricket is rarely an easy chase.

Wickets were shared:
Zika Ali took 2/23 from his 10. He bowled nicely but struggled to attack at times when batsmen were content on blocking him.
Ollie Mawdsley got 3/30 from 9, the pick of our medium-pacers.
Kamal Patel 2/35 from 7.4 (first international wickets).
Asad Parvez 2/24 from 6. Bowled with good pace but at times inconsistent.
Jimmy Dawkins 1/38 from 5. Struggled with his length.

With the bat, we made a potentially tricky chase look very comfortable. Will and Avishka opened with a solid 40 off 9 overs, before Will played around one and was adjudged LBW (he wasn't 100% convinced about the decision I think it's fair to say). Avishka and new man Dan Davidson proceeded serenely enough, putting the bad balls away. Avishka eventually misread a straight one from the german leggie and was palpably LBW with the score on exactly 100. Dan continued his merry way, showing all his class, and after Zika was caught behind for 15 him and captain Danny Nott saw us safely home with an unbeaten partnership of 46. Dan finished on 71 not out (73 balls, 8 4s and 2 6s) and was deservedly MotM.

Overall a good performance: particularly pleased with the maturity shown with the bat by the top 5, given we had little batting below 7.

Game 2: France 166 all out (45 overs or so) lose to Luxembourg 167/6 (43.3).

Back to earth with a bump. A strongish Luxembourg side had rolled over the Belgians for just over 100 the previous day so we knew it wouldn't be a walk-over. Once again we lost the toss, although again we would have batted.

William's bad luck continued, this time a dodgy stumping decision. Dan failed to find his fluency from the previous day and eventually top-edged a pull shot for a scratchy 12. Avishka and Zika fought, although neither was particularly secure, but thanks to quite a few wides we reached 102/2 but then it all went wrong, as everyone basically threw their wickets away. Our number 6, Kamal, showed potential in scoring 25 (and batted for almost 20 overs) but no one managed to stay with him. Luxembourg had a couple of good spinners, and fielded pretty well, but it was poor shot selection which was the real issue.

166 to defend then - doable if we improved on the key points we'd talked about the previous evening. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Luxembourg opened with 2 left-handers, and Ollie struggled with his line initially. Zika was tidy but not that threatening, although he did eventually make the breakthrough. Asad bowled some cracking balls, but too inconsistent. Jimmy bowled a nice spell, but everytime we put 2 or 3 good overs together a loose ball or a misfield would let them off the hook. Young off-spinner Kamal was our best bowler, and the only one to trouble T. Barker who made 75.

At 158/2 the game was surely over, but a remarcable run of 4 wickets for 4 runs, including the aforementioned Barker got us back in the game. Ultimately though it was too little too late, and a couple of byes, a wide, and a sneaky single saw Luxembourg home.

For France, Kamal took 3/25 from 9, and our MotM award following his 25 earlier. Jimmy, Ollie and Zika took 1 wicket apiece.

A case of what if, then, but quietly I thought Luxembourg and Germany were fairly well matched, so a thumping win over Belgium and who knows.

Day 3: France 305/9 beat Belgium 74 all out (25 overs ish) by a lot of runs.

And we did just that! As a message we decided we would use the same top order, and bat first if possible to show that the previous day was but an aberration. And so it proved.

Danny won his first toss in 6 attempts, which was his first contribution. Will Smati has made a habit of scoring runs on the last day of youth tournaments, and was hitting the ball beautifully in the nets beforehand - I was confident of a score. Avishka departed early, but Will and Dan put on an excellent partnership, and Will and Zika continued the good work. With the score on 166/2 in the 30th over, and a century begging, Will threw it away, and when first Zika (with a horrific swipe) and then Kamal (run out by captain Danny) departed within a few balls, all of a sudden it was 170/5 and things weren't looking so rosy.

The question was what had we learned from the previous day's collapse, and the answer thankfully was quite a bit. First Ollie came in and put on 50odd with Danny, who was keen to make amends. The captain then took over, dominating partnerships with the tail, until finally a crucial 34 runs unbeaten for the last wicket including 20 off the last over. Sam Holderness, our no 11 didn't score, but importantly blocked out the end of overs 47, 48 and 49 as Danny farmed the strike, to finish on (what would turn out to be a tournament winning) 84 not out from just 60 balls. A true captain's innings, and his first half-century for France.

305 to defend, and to be honest we knew Belgium weren't ever going to make them, but a quick prep-talk established that the greater our margin, the best chance we had of winning overall. The 3rd new ball combination in as many games proved to be the best, as Ollie and Haras Shabbir bowled in the right areas and were rewarded with 2 wickets apiece (Haras's first international wickets). Belgium then had a minor recovery, but Sam H's first wicket broke that, and then it was Zika-time: 5/9 in 5 overs, as Belgium collapsed to just 74.

As the players warmed down, I told them they had done all they could, and should be proud of their efforts. The presentation was taking place at the other ground, our game having finished earlier, so off we trudged, to find out that we'd won the tournament by about 30 runs on NRR! Cue lots of back-slapping, hugging, and pouring of sparkling water (in the absence of Champagne). France's first win in a junior tournament since 2001. Worth celebrating.

I should take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in the tournament: players, umpires, scorers, organisers (Brian and Sajid in particular). Overall, the even ran incredibly smoothly and was a wonderful experience for our guys (and presumably those of the other countries).

Those interested can find match reports in french, but more interestingly photos on our website http://francecricket.com/lequipe-de-france-jeunes-remporte-le-tournoi-dallemagne/ (article for the final game, scroll down and click on left-hand link to access previous day(s)).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Mike - thanks for a super report and many congratulations.

I trust the experience of winning an international tournament like this will live with you and the team for all time.

Particularly liked your reference to ''Zika-time''. I'm sure Richie Benaud will be delighted by - as he might say - the young man's success. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks guilford.

It's certainly a memory I will treasure for ever.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Mike - good report and a result - and a welcome relief from all the outpourings on the KP situation... clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:03 pm

World Cricket League Division Eight begins in Samoa tonight.

Along with the hosts, Belgium (who pipped Mike's France to qualify earlier in the summer), Bhutan, Japan, Suriname, Norway, Vanuatu and Ghana are participating.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Many thanks for mentioning this. Have been away the last couple of weeks, hence 606v2 activity has been much reduced, but am back now for better or worse.

Belgium, Japan, Vanuatu and Ghana have all made winning starts with wins over Bhutan, Suriname, Norway and Samoa respectively.

Before the tournament I would have said Belgium, Japan, Vanuatu and Norway were the favourites. In that context Vanuatu's win over Norway is a big result, and IMO somewhat of a surprise by the ease in which they did so.

A bit of background on some of the sides:

Japan were relegated from division 7. They have many home-grown players and a fast-growing development program which is very encouraging. I would like to see them go straight back up.

Belgium pipped France in the recent qualifier. Despite purely nonsense claims from their chairman that they couldn't afford to go to Samoa, there was never any real doubt they'd make the trip. Interestingly captain Andre Wagnerer has been reinstated, with the captain during the qualifying tournament (some ex-minor county bowler, I forget his name) is presumably unavailable, or has fallen out with the wrong people. This is not really a step in the right direction as Wagnerer is South african. However Belgium has a proud tradition of performing well in junior tournaments, and this side includes plenty of former youngsters such as Nirvam Shah, Jamie Farmiloe (both of whoom I have played against), Faisal Khaliq and Sheival Mehta (who I have coached against). I won't begrudge them any success.

Norway, like Japan, were relegated from the previous division 7, but unlike Japan rely almost exclusively on (mainly Pakistani) expats with various norwegian connections. They entered a team in the U19 tournament for the first time last year, but I expect the number of players from that side to make the grade to senior level to be between 0 and 1 (the 1 is one of the fastest bowlers in Europe, but has the unfortunate characteristic regarding possible senior caps of being white) unless there is a change in direction of cricketing policy.

My great hope is for Norway to follow the "Croatia route" (more on that later) and realise the importance of a sound development program so as not to rely on ageing expats. Who aren't actually very nice (at least on the field - in a rather unfortunate set of circumstances one of them - allegedly I must say - suggested to one of our players that he should erm get closer to his mother; unfortunately the lady concerned had recently passed away, so this suggestion was not altogether well received).

The other teams I frankly don't know all that much about, although as I said Vanuatu are rumoured to be strong.

Also of interest in the associate/affiliate world was the recent European T20 division 2. The IoM beat Sweden in the final, and both finalists will be promoted to division 1 which takes place in the summer 2013 (and the top 2 from that - most probably Denmark and Italy - will qualify for the world T20 qualifier). The losing semi-finalists were Spain and Israel.

No one will have been too surprised to see the Manxman there - they are a solid side, with good young players coming through frequently, and nearly made it into div 1 last time around. We expect their juniors to be tough to beat and one of our main rivals for the U19 crown coming up in 2013. Israel will be disappointed - they were relegated from Div 1 last year and are not a bad side, but lacking star quality. Their best player Danny Hotz went off the boil for a bit and is only just returning. Spain are at their level - they seem to have unearthed a formidable hitter at the top of the order (150 in 66 balls in one of the games, one of two centuries, although worth noting he didn't make many against the top sides) and have a couple of other decent players (wicket-keeper batsman James Morgan for example), but were unlikely to break into the top 2 in my view. Sweden were very much the surprise package, from Div 3 not long ago. I don't know anything about them, but research shall be undertaken before Div 1 this summer.

A word on Croatia, who in Div 1 last year very nearly upset Guernsey (eventually 4th) and even Italy, before falling away badly and being relegated. I think everyone expected them to win Div 2 at a canter, but they struggled from the outset, and in the end only just avoided demotion to Div 3. The problem is they rely very heavily on a very small amount of (decidedly Australian) players. Those players are now ageing (or some would say old) and incapable of producing, or at least repeating the performances they used to. Croatia has never had a junior side participate in any ICC event (that I know of) and there simply isn't the structure in place to replace their better players when they retire/become not good enough. Of course exceptional players are hard, sometimes impossible to replace for any country (take Australia themselves) but having the correct system in place will mean that the inneitable slide is less sharp, and shorter. Norway should take heed.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:28 am

Very interesting stuff as ever Mike thumbsup

I bet it must be frustrating to see Belgium winning, given how close France were to making this tournament

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:46 am

Shelsey93 wrote:Very interesting stuff as ever Mike thumbsup

thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks guys.

Looking on to the rest of the tournament I would guess that Belgium and Japan should get the top 2 places in their group quite comfortably - Suriname and Bhutan are reputed to be the weakest two sides there, whilst Vanuatu should qualify alongside either Norway or possibly Ghana.

We should get a good idea of Ghana's strength (their have been conflicting reports, but personally I wouldn't have had them up there with the favourites) after their match with Vanuatu coming up.

Local reports suggest that Vanuatu are a very good fielding side, whilst the Belgians look the most composed batting line-up.

The format is the top 2 from each group go through to the semi-finals, whilst the bottom 2 compete in a plate. The top 2 sides are I believe promoted to division 7. Nothing much happens beyond that, given that division 8 is set to be abolished after this outing.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 am

Expected wins for Vanuatu (although Ghana put up a good show, and a win over Norway should be enough for them to qualify), Belgium and Japan. Norway's loss to Samoa confirms their slide, although they still have a slight chance of qualifying.

Belgium and Japan play for 1st place tomorrow. Abdul Rehman (the one of the 100 off 48 balls in the qualifier) once again starred for Belgium, although it's pleasing to see young Jamie Farmiloe also get a major score. Nice lad, too.

Vanuatu play Samoa - I expect them to win but you never know, with Norway playing Ghana. Ghana and Vanuatu are favourites for the top 2 places now, but anything still possible.

One thing emerging from the scorecards is that most sides (Belgium and Japan the two exceptions) are really struggling to pace their innings - even Samoa's successful run-chase against Norway appears hectic, with the last two partnerships coming at 10 runs per over. This probably reflects the lack of long format cricket played in those countries, and I suspect a lack of quality coaching in most clubs.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 am

Japan beat Belgium - bit of a surprise there.

Vanuatu and Ghana narrowly beat Norway and Samoa respectively.

Once again, Japan the only side to bat out their 50 overs, Belgium failling spectacularly. Samoa in particular read like a side with talent but with little discipline. Norway it seems really are on the slide. Good.

Semi-finals:
Japan v Ghana: Japan will start as favourites. Their preferred method seems to be to bat first, get a decent score and then apply pressure. I would be surprised if Ghana won this to be honest.

Vanuatu v Belgium: more 50-50 this one. Belgium probably the better drilled side, but Vanuatu are apparently very good in the field, and have a couple of potential match-winners with bat and ball. The equivalent of South Africa-Pakistan in years gone by, one side well drilled, almost formulaic with the other relying more on their talent and somewhat mercurial. Should be a cracking game.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum