Associate and Affiliate cricket discussion thread

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Associate and Affiliate cricket discussion thread

Post by Shelsey93 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 am

First topic message reminder :

I thought I'd create this thread to discuss the Associate and Affiliate matches/tournaments going on around the world.

Scotland are currently going well against UAE in the Intercontinental Cup match in Sharjah after bowling them out for 100, and then posting 305 with a ton from Richie Berrington. UAE currently 159/3 and only 41 behind though with key man Saqib Ali (FC average 54) in.

Meanwhile, in the 1st ODI at Mombasa, Ireland are 193/7 against Kenya. Paul Stirling made 46 and Kevin O'Brien 39 but things are quite slow going otherwise on a pitch which, on the evidence of the Intercontinal Cup game, turns considerably.

Finally Malaysia, Argentina, Guernsey, Bahrain, Cayman Islands and hosts Singapore are contesting World Cricket League Division Five. Guernsey bowled out Bahrain for 49 and won by 9 wickets on the opening day today while in a pair of rain affected matches, Argentina are falling well short against Malaysia and the home side are just about to complete a win over the Cayman Islands.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Re: Associate and Affiliate cricket discussion thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:46 am

excellent to see Norway get slapped Very Happy

also pleased to see Jamie Farmiloe making some runs for Belgium. Speaking of which, cricinfo's scorecard has Nirvam Shah run out without facing a ball against Japan while taking first strike Headscratch

Japan to beat Ghana comfortably, Belgium to squeak through against Vanuatu Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

Nirvam Shah run out without facing a ball against Japan while taking first strike Headscratch

First ball a wide or no ball? Only thing I can think of.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:18 pm

A no-ball would count as a ball faced, and both a wide or a no-ball would make the score 1-1 rather than 0-1.

No one there has got back to me, but no one can come up with a legitimate way for it to happen.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Mike Selig wrote:A no-ball would count as a ball faced, and both a wide or a no-ball would make the score 1-1 rather than 0-1.

No one there has got back to me, but no one can come up with a legitimate way for it to happen.

Good point. Mankading? Very Happy (Of course he couldn't have given him a warning and were that the case the credited assist to Kobayashi would be wrong!)

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 pm

but you can't Mankad the striker, can you?

maybe cricinfo just got it wrong and he didn't take first strike Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Were the first batsman out mankaded before a ball had been faced, would he necessarily go down as number two on the scorecard?

In all seriousness, obviously an error!

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am

Ghana and Vanuatu have won their semis!

Ghana is really the surprise package, but neither Japan nor Belgium could deal with the pressure of chasing, rather than setting a score.

Well well.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Scotland have announced that, following a change in ICC regulations, which now allow those of Scottish parentage to play for Scotland, four new county players will start representing them this winter.

They are Northants 'keeper David Murphy, Sussex batsman Matt Machan, Leics all-rounder Rob Taylor and Gloucs 'keeper-batsman Richard Coughtrie. None are hugely exciting players it must be said, with Machan perhaps the most talented of the bunch.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Anyone interested in the disfunctionality of the USA cricket board should have a read of the following:

https://www.facebook.com/USACA.org/posts/486942531324992
http://lovely-cricket.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/this-is-usa-we-heart-bloggers.html

Peter Della Penna is the USA expert on cricinfo - ironically run by ESPN who the USACA are apparently keen to get on board. His writings are usually informative, precise and well backed up by sources.

As to the response from the USACA, seemingly they believe criticism of their perfectly abjectly-ran organisation should be banned. Also notice their representative on the FB thread "the ICC has no jurisdiction over the USACA". Words fail me...

Unfortunately the ICC is obsessed with cracking the american market. And goes about it in the wrong way (all about T20, and trying to compete with baseball). It's a mess, because I think cricket could actually take off in the US quite easily, if the board weren't so concerned with making sure it remains run by West Indians...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 am

"the thread" (as it is now being called on Twitter...) is both funny and tragic. It is funny because it is. It is tragic because it is doing so much harm not only to the game in the US but also the Associate and Affiliate game world-wide (which would be significantly strengthened by a decent presence of cricket in the US).

I have obviously written to the ICC highlighting that the current administrators of USACA are so blatantly not fit for purpose. Can/should the ICC intervene? How? I guess you could suspend the US (again) but realistically that wouldn't achieve much. I think the solution is for the local branch of the ICC to become more heavily involved. Funding should be given only for specific projects and those should then be monitored closely.

What a mess.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Mike Selig wrote:"the thread" (as it is now being called on Twitter...) is both funny and tragic. It is funny because it is. It is tragic because it is doing so much harm not only to the game in the US but also the Associate and Affiliate game world-wide (which would be significantly strengthened by a decent presence of cricket in the US).

I have obviously written to the ICC highlighting that the current administrators of USACA are so blatantly not fit for purpose. Can/should the ICC intervene? How? I guess you could suspend the US (again) but realistically that wouldn't achieve much. I think the solution is for the local branch of the ICC to become more heavily involved. Funding should be given only for specific projects and those should then be monitored closely.

What a mess.

Cheers Mike.

I now understand a couple of Iain O'Brien's tweets that I didn't "get" the context of last night - I see he's active on the FB thread.

Sad for cricket in the US Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Iain O'Brien was subsequently banned as USACA came out with the truly magnificent decision to ban and block all "foreigners" as "this is an American problem" (well, they got that bit right!).

USACA have (3 days later!) distanced themselves from the comments by "USACA", which is of course entirely disingenuous. It is I think very likely that Kenwyn Williams (the USACA secretary who it is almost certain is behind the "USACA" pseudonym on the thread) will be sacked. In the long term this will achieve precisely nothing, the US will carry on their obsession with T20 Razmatazz at the expense of grass-roots cricket; the board will continue to be run in an entirely corrupt manner. Women's cricket will be promoted by photos of a faceless woman wearing a West Indies shirt and hat and little else.

Unless someone at ICC Americas/ICC grows a pair and does something about it.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Williams has been suspended as expected. Unfortunately this could convince the ICC (well, they want to be convinced) that all is now fine, whereas Mr Williams was really only the tip of the iceberg as far as USACA are concerned.

At the risk of repeating myself, what a mess. There is no reason for cricket not to grow in the US if the governing body could get its act together.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Where do you see the growth opportunities?

Without having the knowledge of the Associate/ Affiliate game that you do I would argue that selling cricket at any level (grass roots or not) to Americans without a cricketing background would be tough. Partly because of the size of the country (how do you get those that show an interest and some talent together?), partly because the sporting needs of Americans are taken up in US sports and there isn't really any room for cricket which, I'd imagine has the same sort of following that baseball does over here (i.e. not much).

I do think that cricket in ex-pat communities, and amongst the 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and West Indians in America should be stronger than it is. The interest in the game was shown during the WI-NZ T20s which were a huge success.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 pm

This week the WCL division 7 was taking place (for the last time, at least for the forseeable future).

Newly promoted Vanuatu won 5 out of 5, to be promoted to division 6. An excellent result, and a victory for home-grown cricket. By all accounts the Vanuatu side is very good in the field, full of enthusiasm, but can lack discipline with the bat. Will be interesting to see how they go in div 6.

Elsewhere Fiji looked good to join them after a surprise win over Nigeria in the first game, but lost their final match to Botswana. As a result, Nigeria squeezed through - no surprise that they gained promotion, they'd have been pre-tournament favourites, with a good set of quick bowlers, and having only just been demoted from div 6.

Ghana were unsurprisingly relegated. Their 2nd place in div 8 flattered them TBH - I think Japan and Belgium had the better squads overall.

The big surprise though was the collapse of the German side who a short while ago had been in division 6. 4 defeats (alongside one tie) and most of them pretty heavy ones. Another sign that relying on (increasingly ageing) expats to form the core of your side is no recipe for long-term success. In fact that is now the 2 "European" sides who have recently climbed the WCL ladder on the back of a bunch of imports who have now dropped off the radar (Norway being the other, with the caveat that it is a bit more understandable for them, as they are a much newer cricketing nation than Germany). Back when I was playing youth cricket the Germans had a strongish side - it is a shame they haven't invested more in their youth; in recent years their junior sides have been poor, but there are signs they are making more of an effort again. I hope they've learned their lesson.

Again, a feature of the tournament was the relative inability of associate/affiliate sides to build innings consistently. there were a few big scores, but little made by constructing solid bases - where big scores were made it tended to be start fast and finish faster. For example on the first day, Vanuatu made 200, but in 39 overs; Fiji chased down 70 in 20odd overs, for 7 wickets down.

In any case, congrats to Vanuatu and Nigeria, and commiserations to Fiji.

Finals still to come, but purely accademic.

Points table and results curtesy of cricinfo:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/wcldiv7-2013/engine/current/series/597377.html?view=pointstable

Next up is division 3 involving Nepal, USA (both recently promoted), Uganda, Bermuda (relegated), Oman and Italy. If Italy have their recent finds available I quite fancy them to cause a surprise. Uganda should go straight back up; I'm not sure about Bermuda, they don't seem in good shape at the moment; would be good to see Nepal progress further, the support for the game there is fanatical; can't see the USA getting their house in order, and Oman probably not strong enough to challenge.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Just out of interest, what is happening to Div 7? Are we going back to 6 divisions or some kind of new structure?

Mike, was Bermuda 'not in good shape at the moment' a pun on Mr. Leverock Smile

The support in Nepal is something else. I saw a couple of games from the ground in Kirtipur being streamed the other day - quite an incredible ground with really steep banks absolutely teeming full of noisy fans. I'd imagine that's what Indian cricket was like in the '70s.

EDIT: I found a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jINICt7U0

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Wow - that sounds like some support! clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 am

Shelsey93 wrote:Just out of interest, what is happening to Div 7? Are we going back to 6 divisions or some kind of new structure?

Returning to 6 divisions in total. I'm not sure this is a bad thing if the money saved gets poured back into regional 50 over competitions - as things stand these have practically ceased, meaning when sides do get onto the WCL ladder (sometimes on the back of regional T20 tournaments - #onlytheICC) they have little experience of the longer format; the cost-benefit of sending (e.g.) a European team to Samoa to play a 50 over tournament (or vice-versa) when they have no 50 over experience is obviously poor. Much better to spend the money on regional tournaments (cheaper, so you can have them more regularly) and then when new teams do arrive on the WCL ladder they will have a much better grounding and stand a better chance of staying in for longer.

Shelsey93 wrote:Mike, was Bermuda 'not in good shape at the moment' a pun on Mr. Leverock Smile

Not really, more a reflection on the recent bout of infighting and politics which seems to have taken over. Whether they have gotten over it yet I'm not sure, but a year ago or so they were going backwards alarmingly fast.

Shelsey93 wrote:The support in Nepal is something else. I saw a couple of games from the ground in Kirtipur being streamed the other day - quite an incredible ground with really steep banks absolutely teeming full of noisy fans. I'd imagine that's what Indian cricket was like in the '70s.

EDIT: I found a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jINICt7U0

Quite. Sometimes it gets a bit too fanatical, but...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Division 3 under way. No sign of Di Venuto or Berg for the Italians - so much for those guys showing commitment to the Italian cause. As a result Italy are struggling, and will have to get a couple of wins from somewhere to stave off relegation.

Uganda with 2 strong wins, and I expect them to be promoted.

Slightly surprising to see the USA do so well - Taylor is a very very good batsman, but even so the trouncing of Nepal was impressive, and followed up by a good effort against Italy. They should beat Oman, so a win against either Bermuda or Uganda would be enough for them to get promoted which would be a bit of a surprise.

Unfortunately Nepal have had a horror first two games; as a result their NRR is probably in too bad an order to qualify now. Really they need to win a couple now to stay in this division and not go straight back down. There were some question marks over their ability to adapt to NZ pitches, and they have really been shown up.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Mike, how much do you know about this Taylor? Associate expert Peter della Penna tweeted that he is a 'Once in a generation talent by USA standards, perhaps even Full Member ones too'.

He is only 19 and has already hit a number of tons, so the stats seem to back up that assertion.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Apart from having watched him play on TV, not that much. It's hard to tell because he's playing at a level for which he is at the moment too good - but I would say he has the potential to be at least as good as RTD. Probably better. Certainly I haven't seen someone so far above his competitors as he is since perhaps Eoin Morgan (Moggsy similarly gave the impression of a man playing cricket against 13 year olds). It would be interesting to see how he fares against the stronger associates before making any definitive pronouncements.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Well well. Seems I spoke too soon about Nepal. they have come back with 3 crunching wins, and alongside USA's slightly surprising defeat to Bermuda they are now promoted to WCL div 2. This is a good thing IMO given the support and structure in place there (Nepal have consistently performed very well at U19 level also). Taylor after a crunching first day ton did absolutely nothing.

Uganda somewhat surprisingly lost to Oman on the final day. Perhaps a case of taking their eye off the ball with the prize already secure.

Oman were relegated alongside Italy, who didn't even win a match. A bit surprising.

These results are really a win for home-grown talent and grass-roots program: Uganda and Nepal have a strong home-grown contingent; the USA and Bermuda are still rebuilding after (in the US case quite a lot of) crises; Oman and Italy have both made the choice to select players who can best be described as mercenaries. A clear indication that home-grown talent is best in the long term, and a real win for the credibility of associate/affiliate cricket world-wide.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 am

Mike Selig wrote:Well well. Seems I spoke too soon about Nepal. they have come back with 3 crunching wins, and alongside USA's slightly surprising defeat to Bermuda they are now promoted to WCL div 2. This is a good thing IMO given the support and structure in place there (Nepal have consistently performed very well at U19 level also). Taylor after a crunching first day ton did absolutely nothing.

Uganda somewhat surprisingly lost to Oman on the final day. Perhaps a case of taking their eye off the ball with the prize already secure.

Oman were relegated alongside Italy, who didn't even win a match. A bit surprising.

These results are really a win for home-grown talent and grass-roots program: Uganda and Nepal have a strong home-grown contingent; the USA and Bermuda are still rebuilding after (in the US case quite a lot of) crises; Oman and Italy have both made the choice to select players who can best be described as mercenaries. A clear indication that home-grown talent is best in the long term, and a real win for the credibility of associate/affiliate cricket world-wide.

Good to hear. Thanks for the updates Mike thumbsup

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 am

Ireland and playing against Pakistan today in the first of two ODIs. A number of county players among the Irish team including Gary Wilson, Tim Murtagh, William Porterfield, George Dockrell and Ed Joyce.

Cricket Ireland are streaming it live here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsRRHwOHuK4

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Thu May 23, 2013 11:01 am

watching it now, thanks Shelsey Very Happy

good to see Pakistan happy to play Ireland, and just heard from the commentators that Ireland would apparently be happy to tour Pakistan too, which would really be excellent news for the all-round game surely?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am

I fancy Ireland to give Pakistan a good game today. These young Pakistan batsmen can't have played in European conditions very often and Murtagh is in terrific form with the ball.

I'm not sure the Irish batting will be quite good enough to withstand the strong Pakistani bowling but if they can restrict them to 200-odd who knows?

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Match tied in the end after a century from Paul Stirling and a wonderful 84* from Kevin O'Brien. Not many full members score 275 v Junaid, Irfan, Ajmal and Hafeez!

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Great effort from Ireland. Brilliantly set up by Stirling with good support from Joyce, and then a wonderful knock from O'Brien.

Ultimately though they'll be a bit disappointed at failing to score 26 off the last 3 with 5 wickets in hand. Too many dot balls (I counted 6 or 7) - so that's something they'll look at.

Bowled ok at the start, but their bowling is always more containing than threatening. Dockrell bowled nicely until Pakistan got after him at the end.

Perhaps a slight readjustment is needed in the team balance - having White and Cusack is probably one too many - replace White by a bowler (Sorensen or Jones or that youngster whose name escapes me) and I think it's a better team.

They do have some genuine quality in the batting line-up though.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 pm

I sense that they are in desperate need of a young quick as right now there is nothing beyond the excellent Murtagh and Johnston, both of whom are probably best suited to the longer forms (Trent would have been an awesome county bowler if somebody signed him up a few years back). It was always going to be tough going for Cusack and O'Brien. There are a few around - as you say Sorensen, Jones and also young Graeme McCarter from Gloucs and the commentators today mentioned a 6'6 youngster playing in Irish domestic cricket. But I guess none of them are good enough to make a real difference at the moment.

The batting is genuinely good - Stirling and Joyce are two of the better one-day players in the UK and O'Brien seems to rise to the big occasions. Add in three more solid county pros in Niall O'Brien, Porterfield and Wilson and they'll score runs most of the time.

Anyway, a real good effort against a strong bowling attack and they'll now believe they can get over the line on Sunday.

EDIT: Just remembered that John Mooney is back for the next game after his ban for Twitter comments about Margaret Thatcher's death. I guess he'll come in for White which will perhaps make the team slightly better balanced.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Fri May 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Mooney is a useful bowler, but not a front-line one ideally. I quite liked the look of Sorensen when I saw him against Afghanistan.

One slight problem Ireland have looking forwards is they had this real golden generation (Porterfield, Morgan, KOB, Wilson, Rankin all came up through the ranks at the same time) but beyond that their internal structure wasn't quite as good as the team it had produced - they have improved it noticeably (with more regional matches and north vs south so teams playing more competitive cricket) but it will probably take a few years before they start seeing the structural benefits.

They are fortunate in that the bulk of their players are still on the youngish side. They are unfortunate in that Rankin (and to a lesser extent Morgan) have chosen (wrongly IMO especially for Rankin who will probably not play for England) other pastures.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 on Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Im a bit gutted about yesterday, particuarly as we don't get these chances very often.

For the next game mooney will come in for white and i don't think there will be any other changes other than that, although i think sorensen is the better bowler. I really think we missed a trick in not bring mccarter in for this game, he is our best young prospect in the fast bowling department. 20yrs old and already getting into the glos 1day side. He is the future and trent is only a year off 40!

I know KOB has taken alot of the plaudits but I think stirling demonstrated once again what a prospect he is. He can be as good as Morgan as an ODI player and is still only 22, remember Morgan hadnt hit 2 centuries against pakistan at his age (although he ddint get the chance) and only anounced himself to the world at a simlar age!

Going forward in the long-term, Michael alludes to the golden generation in Porterfield et al but I think the class of Stirling, dockrell et al are at a similar level to that (2010 u19 world cup). 3 others of that squad are on the books of counties; the aforementioned mcmcarter, andy balbirnie of middlesex & craig young (sussex), who has just overcome a serious injury and hopefully fulfills his potential. 2 others are playing with MCC young cricketers this season (Shane Getkate & Stu Poynter), while another 2, James shannon & stuart thompson have been involved with the senior side over the last year (thompson had a couple of trails with counties last season too). The sad thing is the quickest (& probably best) fast bowler of that group, Jordan coghlan, signed a contract with Leinster rugby! Hopefully these lads kick on and take the next step and Big Phil starts integrating them into the setup for 2015 and Boyd comes back (lets face it he aint good enuf for england!).

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 am

Here is something I wrote about Irish cricket (and 19th century European history) - http://thearmchairselector.com/2013/05/the-irish-question/

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 am

James Shannon comes into the Ireland team for his ODI debut in place of Andrew White. Strange pick as Shannon doesn't bowl and White didn't bat in the first game. I'd have thought Mooney or Sorensen were more likely but they must be thinking differently.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 am

Here is the link to today's live stream - https://www.youtube.com/embed/gr5f7hJLuTo?autoplay=1.

Ireland to bat first.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 on Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Irish victory looking good - Pakistan 6 down and still need over 100.

Shelsey93
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Starting tomorrow in Sussex is the European T20 division 1 tournament featuring 12 teams: Denmark, Italy, Jersey, Guernsey, Norway, France, Belgium, Austria, Germany, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Sweden.

The top 2 then qualify for the (1st...) global qualifier for the world T20.

All the stuff is available from here:
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/DATABASE/2013/TOURNAMENTS/EURODIV1/index.shtml

I'm not with the French team due to U19 and work commitments, but will no doubt travel down to Sussex at some point to watch some of the action. From our perspective we're looking to improve on our 6th place finish from last time - with a more settled gameplan and former county player Simon Cook in charge, there's no reason why we can't.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:50 pm

France went down heavily to Jersey yesterday, but scraped by the IoM this morning. Playing Denmark currently...

Italy looking very strong according to local reports suggesting that them and not Denmark are the team to beat this time around. Jersey looking solid and could give the Danes a scare. Guernsey relying on individuals ATM just about OK. Those sides should be the top 4.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

France have recorded excellent wins over Belgium (thanks to a good tail-end recovery and a fantastic bowling display) and Germany (who we outclassed in all departments) to come 3rd behind Jersey and Denmark in our group - which is about where we belong, the "best of the rest" if you like, but ATM we don't seem able to step it up against the better sides when it matters. Still, an improvement on the last couple of tournaments in the sense that we are beating the sides we should be beating.

Jersey have had a couple of scares but come through them. Belgium have had a really disappointing tournament and according to reports of the change of structure will have to work their way back up from division 3.

Denmark seem fairly confident, but I have to say hard to see past Italy based on what I've seen so far.

France play Austria tomorrow. A win and we finish 1 better than last time, confirm our division 1 status and importantly finish where we belong. Allez les bleus!

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Test cricket in Jersey sounds quite appealing.  Not sure that Barmy Army would go down too well tho. Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 am

Hoping for a Denmark win. (Connections to my local club)

Good to see your French lads improving Mike clap 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Thumping win for France over Austria to finish 5th, which is a good result.

Jersey choked somewhat in their chase against Italy to fall just short - shame but a very good effort.

Denmark against Guernsey on currently, but I guess most here are watching the ashes... the final starts at 6.15 and can be seen on ICC Europe's homepage, or the page for the tournament.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Austria crushed by the mighty French.  Austria could only make 67.

Looked in vain for any of the Austrian or German players to be called Schumaker or Weber etc. I guess that's one of the big advantages of migration - opportunities to export / import the game of cricket....!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Italy beat Denmark in an enthralling final putting on the type of score we'd come to expect from a powerful batting line-up. A great finish to their innings in the end proved the difference.

Earlier Denmark had thrashed Guernsey thanks to a brilliant hundred from their star player Freddy Klokker (formerly of Derbyshire and Warwickshire). Unfortunately Klokky couldn't repeat his heroics in the final, falling just after reaching his 50. He will however console himself with the MVP award, a fitting reward for one of the genuine good guys in cricket.

Italy looked strong thoughout, so no surprise to see them win. As per usual somewhat wary about how Italian some of the players actually are, but them's the rules (which doesn't mean I have to like it).

From a French perspective it was good to see us beat the sides we should be beating (which has not always been the case) but slightly disappointing to go down so heavily in our two matches against the better teams. We'll take 5th, as it guarantees our stay in Div 1 next time unless strange things happen in the global qualifier.

All the best to Italy and Denmark in that - Italy should once again get the services of De Venutto and Berg if they so choose, but even so top 4 seems a step too far.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:39 am

As people probably have heard one of the greatest contributers to associate cricket, trent johnston, has announced his retirement at the end of the year.
Nice tribute and picture gallery at this link....
http://www.cricketireland.ie/news/article/trent-johnston-to-retire-from-international-cricket-in-december

also a nice interview:
http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/27352/2/trent_johnston_announces_his_retirement

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 pm

I know there's this little thing called the Ashes going on still, but... Time for a plug for WCL div 6.

Taking place in Jersey, the sides are Argentina, Bahrein, Jersey, Kuwait, Nigeria and Vanuatu. Because there are no WCL 7 or 8 anymore, this is the bottom of the WCL ladder. The top 2 teams will be promoted, and the bottom 3 teams will drop out (with the possibility of being readmitted after playing a regional qualifying event.

A quick preview of the sides:

Argentina: once a force in world cricket; they asked for ICC - in its day as the Imperial Cricket Conference - membership back in 1907 (I think it was) and were refused, essentially on the grounds that they weren't English (cricket has come a long way in some respects, but refusal of membership on arbitrary bases has obviously been around a while); at the time they were reported to be better than the likes of South Africa etc. Even recently they were in WCL Div 3 (or even 2?) not all that long ago, but have been successively relegated every year since. It's quite sad in a way.

Bahrein: used to be a bit of a force, but fading fast. The other team relegated from division 5 (alongside Argentina). They finished last at the recent ACC T20 tournament, and with an ageing side relying mainly on expats, it's doubtful they'll be able to stop the slide.

Jersey: probably the favourites. They enjoy home advantage, a well balanced squad, and the team have just come from a successful European T20 tournament where they very nearly beat eventual champions Italy, so will be riding high. Peter Gough is a good captain and leads his young team very well, with guys like Ben Stevens and Cornie Bodenstein involved at Durham and Oxford Unis respectively they have genuine quality in all departments. Seam bowling is probably their weakness, but their outcricket is superb.

Kuwait: may well turn out to be Jersey's biggest challengers. Had a decent outing last time in WCL 6, and 3rd at the recent ACC T20. Lack a bit of genuine quality.

Nigeria: promoted from div 7. Strong fast bowling unit, and big hearted side. Should be pushing for promotion.

Vanuatu: recently promoted all the way up from WCL 8. Strong fielding side, with lots of enthusiasm. How they adapt to the Jersey wickets will be key.

Yesterday's games: Jersey beat Kuwait, eventually comfortably. Argentina beat Bahrain which may be more of an indication of Bahrain's slide than a comeback for Argentina. Nigeria somewhat surprisingly beat Vanuatu in a fiercely competitive match.

I expect Jersey to win the division, possibly comfortably. I also expect both Argentina and Bahrain to continue their recent slides down the divisions. The 2nd qualifying spot is IMO wide open between the other 2 sides. Nigeria have a slight advantage, and their match against Kuwait will prove crucial.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Jersey with an excellent win over Bahrain thanks to a terrific century from Goughie.

Vanuatu comfortably beating Argentina, and Nigeria similarly Kuwait.

Nigeria and Jersey now very much in pole position. Vanuatu will have to beat Jersey or hope that Argentina or Bahrain shock Nigeria; Kuwait could still technically qualify but will have to rely on the same, and much improvement in their NRR. Bahrain confirming their slide.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:18 pm

Jersey have routed Nigeria.

Somewhat surprisingly Argentina have scraped past Kuwait; they still have a thin chance of qualifying, and a win over Nigeria would certainly make things interesting (leaving Nigeria, Vanuatu and Argentina likely level on points).

Bahrain continue their slide, which pleases me somewhat.

It looks like Jersey and Nigeria still, but Argentina have it in their hands to change that...

Jersey almost certainly promoted - good for them, they're a good bunch of guys as well.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Easy wins for Jersey, Nigeria and Vanuatu today. Kuwait have been perhaps the disappointment so far (no wins).

A quirk of the WC League is that it is not only a league, but features play-off matches at the end. Usually these are meaningless because the top 2 are promoted and the bottom 2 relegated regardless, but in this case 3rd vs 4th is crucial because 3rd stays in WCL 6 but 4th drops off the map.

Kuwait play Bahrain tomorrow in an entirely meaningless match - both sides will be in the bottom 2 and play each other again in a meaningless play-off.

Jersey play Vanuatu: at the moment Vanuatu look like just missing out on a top 2 place, but a surprise win tomorrow could change that (Jersey will be heavy favourites though).

Argentina play Nigeria: an interesting match-up potentially, and a win for the Argies would bring NRR into calculations.

Jersey are probably far enough ahead that even with a loss they would remain in the top 2, whilst Argentina are probably too far behind to catch up, but Nigeria and Vanuatu's NRR is very close. A win for Argentina (provided Vanuatu don't get smashed by Jersey) could see Vanuatu finish 2nd...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Good updates - thanks, Mike.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Final round of matches all rained off. In a somewhat strange move, these matches will now be replayed tomorrow, with the play-off matches cancelled.

This probably yields the right result, because play-off matches for a league format seem a bit silly, and it would be harsh on Nigeria (who looked to be on top against Argentina) to lose out on run-rate to Vanuatu (who were almost certainly going down to Jersey). In the past they've had no effect on who gets promoted/relegated, but in this case, because the 4th placed team is relegated, the 3rd vs 4th play-off match would have been the decider. Somehow this doesn't seem right. In a 2 poole system then play-offs are necessary, to counterbalance any perceived disparities in the pooles, but in a round-robin format, sticking everything on a one-off match is at odds with the league concept.

On the other hand, nobody really seems to know whether this reserve day was originally scheduled, or is just a last-minute change, in which case it is a bit tough of Vanuatu.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum