The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G Mac

+4
Maverick
Davie
drive4show
Doc
8 posters

Go down

G Mac Empty G Mac

Post by Doc Fri 25 Mar 2011, 8:50 am

G Mac changed clubs from Callaway to Srixon after having his best ever couple of years. I can understand the change from a financial viewpoint, as he's in the worlds top 5 and his endoresments have rocketed, and not just the clubs he uses. Yesterday's 80 at Bay Hill, I'm hoping was just an aboration and maybe he was trying something different ready for Augusta. I don't know and wouldn't like to speculate.

It does however beg the question about players who are succesful with one manufacturer, and then change equipment to earn more cash, have any of them actually improved? I know of plenty who went backwards after brilliant careers, but not sure that was down to changing equipment. Lyle, Faldo, Monty etc, but believe they were going backwards anyway.

Doc

Back to top Go down

G Mac Empty Re: G Mac

Post by drive4show Fri 25 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

I think Els falls into this category as well. At his peak when he was winning Majors, I think he was playing Titleist clubs? I know he dabbled with Taylormade and Callaway but I don't think he has ever reached those levels since. Some people say that it's down to his putting more than anything else. There is also the argument that when you strike the ball as well as these guys, you can custom fit and get the same results from pretty much any club.

I'm sure that it's all in the head though, you can't beat the comfort factor that comes from using trusted old friends Smile

I hope this is just a blip for GMac as I'm planning to back him for Augusta Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

I reckon that was just a bad day at the office yesterday. He has already had some low numbers with the new equipment and seems comfortable with it. Just a glitch I hope

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:15 am

Just a bad day that's all, after all his stock has risen this year as well posting some low numbers and a few top 10's and a good effort at the WGC matchplay all with the new clubs. Woods has won just as much with Nike as he did titleist.

Faldo actually won more significant tournaments after switching from Wilson to Mizuno, Monty changed from Wilson to callaway and still was Euro No1, Norman ditched MacGregor to put Cobra on the map and remained world No1 for a hell of a long time after so I don't buy into the equipment being the major factor at that level after all none of them are using game improvement equipment are they. Its the individual and longevity of their careers and simply that someone will take over their mantle at some point.

As for Els I believe he was still playing Lynx clubs when he won his first major, think he may have even had TM's in his bag for his Open win maybe wrong but Els simply its a combination of his putting and being comfortable where he's at in the game why he hasn't won more

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:23 am

Dull but true: The reason I use Callaway is because of Monty.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:26 am

Monty uses Yonex. So you pick the brand Monty does not play with.... Rolling Eyes
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:36 am

Guys I'm also hoping its just a bad day at the office, but he admits himself that he's been off for about 4-weeks, and agree it may be nothing to do with the club change. The Faldo, Monty changes I was thinking about, were I believe after their zenith. Monty started with Yonex and Faldo switched to Adams who I had never heard of at the time.

I just find it surprising that anyone who exceeds in golf, and earns a load of cash, and praise from the public and media and get themself into the worlds top handful of players, can even think about changing the tools that got them there. Another surprise was Kuchar after a massive earning year and flying up the rankings, that he changed his putter, his putting style etc. Yes it does seem to have worked as he's been in contention this year plenty of times. I would be scared to death to do anything if I had a set-up/routine/action that worked for me. Tomorrow I'm using a new shaft on my driver and I'm already aprehensive about it. thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:59 am

Faldo did make the change to Adams at the end of his career but what he did for them as a company is fantastic, Barney Adams the original designer and owner own Adams Golf got Faldo on board, and Adams are pretty much the guys that invented the rescue, yes TM produced the first rescue club but they did that because how good the Adams tight lies fairway woods were, in late 90's a lot of TM saw more and more players using the Adams TL fairway woods so set about producing the Rescue and we know how succesful that is and what a big hybrid market we now have.

Adams now are producing some magnificent gear their wedges are superb, the new CB1 and CB2 black irons though a little pricey are outstanding and the new speedline drivers are great, they have players like Langer, Badds and Moore on their payroll and a whole host of LPGA players none more prominent thant world no1 Yani Tseng.

I for one will seriously consider their gear when renewing my own

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

Mae. Didn't Cobra come up with the first modern 'rescue' club in the form the baffler in around 1980?

These are of course nothing more than an upgrading of the older longnose woods from pre 1885ish.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:27 am

I thought it was the 'Knife' Very Happy remember the adverts on the golf chanel. Cuts through the rough like knife through butter, ........ lajolle golf I think

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:30 am

Back to McDowell, is it fair to say that his swing is more reliant on his getting the timing absolutely spot on than some of his more orthodox peers? He does have a fairly exaggerated drop in plane on the way down.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:31 am

Nah. I actually remember that thing being advertised. The baffler was something my dad had and he used to pull it out of the cupboard when his long irons went wonky. Had it for years... and he started back when what I were a nipper.

(apologies for the Mae thing by the way. I would never insinuate a man of your testosterone levels is anything other than manly. Ok! )
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:34 am

Yes there was the cobra one, never took off, the knife was seen as innovative but never had the backing of the big boys, Adams though once they got sir nick on board the other manufacturers sat up and thought well what are they offering we aren't and the answer was the tight lies.

Friend of mine who I mentioned on here before is a pro, was in late 90's a TM staff player and still is he has been out to the states to work with TM and they stated to him how the barney adams TL's had an impact of re-introducing this type of club that both Tour player and club players alike could wield

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:36 am

Don't mind being called Mae! As long as you don't mind me letting the cat out of the bag that at weekends LJ is short for Lady Jane! Oh and can I have that pink sparkly number you borrowed back got a big event coming !!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:37 am

Smithers, I tend to agree. I watched him in the recent 'club comp' when playing with Tiger, Darren etc, and some of the time he looked like he was over swinging and trying to find extra yardage, which looked ugly at times and also found trouble too often

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:37 am

no problem. But I did put a ladder in the stockings. Sorry about that.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:45 am

Doc wrote:Smithers, I tend to agree. I watched him in the recent 'club comp' when playing with Tiger, Darren etc, and some of the time he looked like he was over swinging and trying to find extra yardage, which looked ugly at times and also found trouble too often

I didn't catch much of the Tavistock, Doc, that's interesting. As a measure of form I'd say it's fairly unreliable generally (after all, where's Ollie Wilson been for the last year or so?) but if someone's struggling they're not going to find their game playing in that sort of format.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:52 am

Tavistock isn't a thing I think you can you for comparable form as its exhibition so they attack all the flags etc so its hard to judge where a players at. For example woods looked good!

But gmacs definately got a unique action and if his putters not hot his scores do suffer as I always thought he was fairly accurate to but that seems to have deserted him this week hopefully its a blip but how impressive is Spencer Levin this year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 25 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Monty uses Yonex. So you pick the brand Monty does not play with.... Rolling Eyes

Yes, because I just started to play golf last week Rolling Eyes

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 25 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

SmithersJones wrote: . . . after all, where's Ollie Wilson been for the last year or so?

You could quite easily ask "Where's Ollie been ever?" as he's still to win a tournament.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 25 Mar 2011, 8:24 pm

Someone please put GMac out of his misery for this week Sad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: