The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simmons and Saints go their separate ways

+3
dublfcynwa
Luke
Kenny
7 posters

Go down

Simmons and Saints go their separate ways  Empty Simmons and Saints go their separate ways

Post by Kenny Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17428568

A kneejerk reaction imo
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Simmons and Saints go their separate ways  Empty Re: Simmons and Saints go their separate ways

Post by Luke Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:18 am

Slighly surprised at the timing. Thought they'd have waited till the end of the season given that there first choice is Nathan Brown, and i can't see Huddersfield letting him go now without a big compensation cheque.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Simmons and Saints go their separate ways  Empty Re: Simmons and Saints go their separate ways

Post by dublfcynwa Tue 20 Mar 2012, 5:25 pm

I was a bit surprised too but for me Saints have struggled in defence since he took over and thats strange for an Aussie coach. Saints have always had firepower but defence will win you games, I know they got to the grand final last year but they never really showed that steel in defence like Leeds, Wigan and even Warrington have done over the last couple of years.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm

Apparently, according to sources down under Mal Meninga is thought to be about to throw his hat into the ring for the Saints job.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:04 am

Meninga would be a decent shout , i had heard that St's may go for Cunningham/Sculthorpe combination
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

Would they be willing to leave Cunningham and Rush in charge until the end of the season and getting Brown when he is off contract?

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Apparently, according to sources down under Mal Meninga is thought to be about to throw his hat into the ring for the Saints job.
I would be surprised if Mal was seriously interested in the job, as he has a very successful business in Australia and has a great job as Queensland head coach.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

There are a lot of roumours going around that Daniel Anderson will take charge until the end of the season until Nathan Brown has left the Giants.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

If Nathan Brown is Saints choice then why not just leave Cunningham in charge for this season ? He has the full respect of the dressing room and would certainly get then into the playoffs
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

They could do that but it would be safer to go with Anderson if he wanted it until the end of the season, he is a proven coach and is highly regarded at Saints.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 23 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

Not sure Anderson wants the job though
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:10 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Apparently, according to sources down under Mal Meninga is thought to be about to throw his hat into the ring for the Saints job.

Was he that tree of a winger for the Aussies back in the 80's and 90's?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

eirebilly wrote:

Was he that tree of a winger for the Aussies back in the 80's and 90's?

Yes he was , he had a season as a player with Saints in the 80's . Huge guy
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:30 pm

Yeah i remember him then, he was also a goal kicker wasnt he?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

Yes he was and good at it aswell for a toe prodder
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

Yeah thats right, he was a toe punter. One of the last i ever saw Very Happy

What are the plans for Royce Simmons now? I am a huge advocate of RL coaches in union so i would have him join the Irish set up as a defensive line coach.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:45 pm

Not sure whats next for Simmons , but hes a good coach so should get another job no problem .

Saints should of given him more time imo , but then they are not used to being so low in the table and with the new ground they need that sorting sooner rather then later to keep the attendances up
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

Fair enough, i dont follow RL that much. Just watch it when the big matches are on.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:12 pm

Saints are expected in the next couple of days to announce Nathan Brown as there next coach. Hardly suprising.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

With Nathan Brown now confirmed on a 3 year contract , does anyone think he will go back to Huddersfield for some of their players ?

He has put together a good side at Huddersfield and seems to have got the best out players like Danny Brough , Luke Robinson , Leroy Cudjoe and Kevin Brown , so will he look at bringing any of them with him to Saints ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:04 am

To be honest Kenny, i can see him going after Cudjoe & possably George if Meli goes, the only other player is Eaden, who is apparently an outstanding talent.
Saints are covered at half back and hooker so don't think he'll go for Brough etc.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Eirebilly
Ireland rugby already has a rugby League coach as their defensive coach, Les Kiss.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down