The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fulhams penalty claim

+7
President Trump
dublfcynwa
dondelero
d260005p
sodhat
Fernando
marty2086
11 posters

Go down

Fulhams penalty claim Empty Fulhams penalty claim

Post by marty2086 Thu 29 Mar - 10:39

Now was a Utd fan I held my head in my hands on Monday night thinkingFulham were nailed on getting a penalt but after seeing the replay I thought by sheer luck the ref had got it right but I am yet to find anyone who agrees with me

When I seen the first replay I seen contact with Murphys left foot yet it was his right foot that went up in the air like it was caught am I just seeing things through Utd tinted glasses? Headscratch

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Fulhams penalty claim Empty Re: Fulhams penalty claim

Post by Fernando Thu 29 Mar - 10:42

Personally i thought it was a penalty just for the that Carrick got none of the ball and you can tell by his reaction he thought he was screwed.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 29 Mar - 10:53

It was clearly a penalty but in real time I can see where the ref was maybe deceived. Carrick kicks Murphy's left foot against the ball which sends the ball in another direction, possibly looking like Carrick took the ball.

Slowed down and from other angles, it was a nailed on spot kick for me. Just a silly and clumsy challenge from Carrick.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 29 Mar - 10:56

I know there was contact and Carrick didnt get the ball but for me Murphy exaggerated it to get a penalty there was contact as well before he went down and it looked like he wanted to but waited for more

its one of those ones of theres contact so therefore its a penalty which bugs me players going down when theres contact doesnt mean that thats what made them go down steam seen it from Ronaldo Rooney and Nani over the years and it frustrates me when they do it never mind when opponents do it

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Mar - 11:46

Stone wall penalty. Behind the player, no contact with the ball, and there was contact with the player. If that had been outside the box, its a free kick. If it had been Howard Webb, or any ref for that matter, again, its a penalty. Man Utd are very lucky. Fulham played very well at times, and probably deserved a point. But its luck that has a big part in evey teams season, especially with a title race involved.

Last edited by d260005p on Thu 29 Mar - 11:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Thu 29 Mar - 12:20

d260005p wrote:Stone wall penalty. Behind the player, no contact with the ball, and there was contact with the player. If that had been outside the box, its a free kick. If it had been Howard Webb, or any ref for that matter, again, its a penalty. Man Utd are very lucky. Fulham played very well at times, and probably deserved a point. But its luck that has a big part in evey teams season, especially with a title race involved.

Not sure that Fulham deserved a point really when they only started competing in the last 10 mins. Utd should've put them away well before half time and especially at the beginning of the second. It is easy to see why they have such a dreadful away record. The penalty claim should really have not been an issue had Utd finished the job but in fairness Utd got a favourable decision in that instance. But off couse this has now prompted a campaign against Utd for apparently being favoured by refs especially at Old Trafford. However apparently so far this season Utd have had more penalties given against them at Old Trafford more than other top teams have at their home grounds.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 29 Mar - 12:36

dondelero wrote:
d260005p wrote:Stone wall penalty. Behind the player, no contact with the ball, and there was contact with the player. If that had been outside the box, its a free kick. If it had been Howard Webb, or any ref for that matter, again, its a penalty. Man Utd are very lucky. Fulham played very well at times, and probably deserved a point. But its luck that has a big part in evey teams season, especially with a title race involved.

Not sure that Fulham deserved a point really when they only started competing in the last 10 mins. Utd should've put them away well before half time and especially at the beginning of the second. It is easy to see why they have such a dreadful away record. The penalty claim should really have not been an issue had Utd finished the job but in fairness Utd got a favourable decision in that instance. But off couse this has now prompted a campaign against Utd for apparently being favoured by refs especially at Old Trafford. However apparently so far this season Utd have had more penalties given against them at Old Trafford more than other top teams have at their home grounds.

Also seen a stat saying from 03/04 season United have been given less penalties than the other top teams with Arsenal top though waiting to hear who the original source is but you make a good point Utd had something like 70% possesion in the 1st 30mins of the 2nd half and numerous chances just kept losing it in the final third furious

But I base my thought that it wasnt a penalty of the way Murphy went down just looked wrong with the way contach was made

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 29 Mar - 13:10

It was a stone wall pen for me. The ref bottled giving the away team a decison at Old Trafford like the refs do every single season. United must get at least 9 points a season form disgraceful ref decisions.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 29 Mar - 13:17

dublfcynwa wrote:It was a stone wall pen for me. The ref bottled giving the away team a decison at Old Trafford like the refs do every single season. United must get at least 9 points a season form disgraceful ref decisions.

Boohoo poor wee Liverpool get nothing and big bad Utd get everything get over yourself your jumping on a bandwagon that stats show is wrong raspberry

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 29 Mar - 13:17

I think Murphy was looking for it tbh, he had the ball and maybe enough time to pull the trigger but he knew Carrick was there so he waited for contact like most footballers do these days, im not saying Carrick didnt make contact but if Murphy wasnt so blatantly looking for it the ref might have given it

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 29 Mar - 13:20

If it keeps the title away from City, then I honestly couldn't give a monkeys. The way Murphy fell ruined it for him.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar - 13:29

Was right in front of me and I held my breath, should have been a penalty and thank God for poor refereeing

But at the end of the day this has made up for that travesty of a penalty that was given to Newcastle earlier in the season

Anybody who comes out with the argument that United get preferential treatment is just a grade A moron

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Mar - 13:32

What? Its a penalty. End of story. "Murphy was blatantly looking for the penalty". What planet are some people on here? This "foul" happens around the pitch during every game, and it is "usually" given as a free kick.

Bottom line is that YES Man Utd got the 3 points they needed. YES they should have buried Fulham when they had the chances. But Fulham could have grabbed it late on to gain a point. YES Man Utd had luck on their side that night.

Big decisions go one way or the other, tonight it went for Utd.

Like stats have proved, its Arsenal people need to bang on about, and not Man Utd.

The refs make the calls, nobody else.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 29 Mar - 13:39

dondelero wrote:Not sure that Fulham deserved a point really when they only started competing in the last 10 mins. Utd should've put them away well before half time and especially at the beginning of the second. It is easy to see why they have such a dreadful away record. The penalty claim should really have not been an issue had Utd finished the job but in fairness Utd got a favourable decision in that instance. But off couse this has now prompted a campaign against Utd for apparently being favoured by refs especially at Old Trafford. However apparently so far this season Utd have had more penalties given against them at Old Trafford more than other top teams have at their home grounds.

Not sure where you read this? Was on sky sports news the other morning that there is only WBA that have less penalties given against them at home than United, but does that mean WBA don't make stupid challenges in the box as much as other teams?

At the end of the day all the top sides get decisions like this, but refs are also guilty of being worried about the back lash. Imagine what guff Fergie would have come out with had it been given, there was a worse one in the Barca game last night when Sanchez was brought down by the keeper right infront of that walley behind the goal who did nothing.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Mar - 13:45

hampo171 wrote:
dondelero wrote:Not sure that Fulham deserved a point really when they only started competing in the last 10 mins. Utd should've put them away well before half time and especially at the beginning of the second. It is easy to see why they have such a dreadful away record. The penalty claim should really have not been an issue had Utd finished the job but in fairness Utd got a favourable decision in that instance. But off couse this has now prompted a campaign against Utd for apparently being favoured by refs especially at Old Trafford. However apparently so far this season Utd have had more penalties given against them at Old Trafford more than other top teams have at their home grounds.

Not sure where you read this? Was on sky sports news the other morning that there is only WBA that have less penalties given against them at home than United, but does that mean WBA don't make stupid challenges in the box as much as other teams?

At the end of the day all the top sides get decisions like this, but refs are also guilty of being worried about the back lash. Imagine what guff Fergie would have come out with had it been given, there was a worse one in the Barca game last night when Sanchez was brought down by the keeper right infront of that walley behind the goal who did nothing.

See, now for me, that Sanchez situation was a dive. If people bang on about how Murphy "reacted" in terms of how he fell, then they should all take a look at Sanchez being shot in the back wby a guy in the crowd with a rather real and large Sniper Rifle.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar - 13:47

I don't think Sanchez dived, I think there was contact and should have been a penalty. But because the number of times I have seen him take a dive I'm made up he got nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 29 Mar - 14:35

gazzyD wrote:I don't think Sanchez dived, I think there was contact and should have been a penalty. But because the number of times I have seen him take a dive I'm made up he got nothing

This is the problem does contact automatically equal a penalty? Does the law not say something along the lines of a challenge that prevents the attacking player from advancing?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 29 Mar - 14:47

Until the excessive diving stops, penalties are going to be a very difficult call for referees, who have one look at an incident and not endless replays.
I wonder how many times penalties have not been given - not because there was no foul but because the player went down over-enthusiastically and so it looked like a dive.
Every team has their divers as well as the guys who go to ground far too easily when there is minimal contact. The only answer is for refs to go over the top in booking the theatrical divers, even to the extent of actually failing to give genuine penalties. Then, and only then, will players try to stay on their feet.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 30 Mar - 14:13

Referees will never be good enough in this country, it's as simple as that.

Why not have 2 referee's on the field of play covering either sides of the pitch?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 30 Mar - 14:31

More officials isn't the answer; look at the extra linesman - they're rubbish and even things happening directly in front of them (Sanchez being fouled by Abbiati for example) they don't call.

Refs make mistakes - that's fine. What people are jumping on to is the perceived notion that the mistake was made because he didn't want to go against United at Old Trafford. I think in similar situations, most of us would err on the side of not giving it in that environment, and I say that because the damage done to him had he been proved wrong (which he couldn't know for certain he wasn't at the time) would outweigh the damage done for not giving it. It isn't right, but it isn't solved by more refs.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down