The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the greatest football game EVER!?

+8
Dass
B91212
hodge
Soldier_Of_Fortune
hornbloweroafc
Beer
GG
Alessandro Ciambella
12 posters

Go down

Which one is the greatest football video game ever?

What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap33%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 9 ]
What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap33%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 9 ]
What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap26%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 7 ]
What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap0%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap4%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap0%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_lcap4%What is the greatest football game EVER!? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 27

What is the greatest football game EVER!? Empty What is the greatest football game EVER!?

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:23 am

Bonjourno!

There are many football games that have been released across the age ranging from FIFA, David Beckham Football, Three Lions, Steven Gerrard Football, Italia 90, Kick Off, Super Kick Off World through to Red Card football games. Each of them tries to put you in the fast action packed seat of thrills and spills competition against friends, family and wierdos on the Internet.

They have been the leveller as girls, boys, men, women, athletes and fatards battle against each other to earn bragging rights.

My question is which one is the best and why? Which one still revs your engine? Which one gives you that feeling that your unbeatable?

For me it has to be Sensible World of Soccer 1996/97 season. Hilmar Bjornsson running down the left wing for my mighty Icelandic footballing power KR. Him feeding Marcello up front was a European Cup winning combination.

So simple but so addictive. All previous versions were great as well on the amiga, pc and megadrive. It is in my opinion that this is the greatest football game of it's generation... Maybe, of all time!!

Your thoughts?
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

What is the greatest football game EVER!? Empty Re: What is the greatest football game EVER!?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:43 am

The original Sensible Soccer from the early 90's for me. I brought the plug n play Megadrive version at a car boot sale a few years ago for two whole pounds and still fire it up from time to time!

Back to top Go down

What is the greatest football game EVER!? Empty Re: What is the greatest football game EVER!?

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:59 am

I remember it had stars such as Ryan Goggs and Paul Once!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:03 am

Easily football manager.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:05 am

Football manager is fantastic! But I am talking about Button-bashing-craziness! (sorry for not specifying that!)
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:06 am

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:I remember it had stars such as Ryan Goggs and Paul Once!

Marcos Vin Boston was the daddy of them all! Happy days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:11 am

Can we get a mention for Olympic Soccer with commentary from Alan Green?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:28 am

Striker for the Amiga and the SNES was one my all time favourite football games.

Off the list I voted for PES. Superstar soccer deluxe for the SNES was brilliant!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 am

PES IMO..

was gonna go for fifa, but prefer the gameplay on PES..on fifa it seems to drag.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Internation Super Star Soccer.....DELUXE Laugh Valderamma and his afro, quality.

I love Sensible Soccer though for playability

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:03 am

I was tempted to say this is footabll purely because it ha a dive button Smile

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:29 am

Went with Fifa overall but hounrable mention to the first ever decent football games, Kick Off & Kick Off 2 (and the manager game it spawned). Also liked Sensible Soccer back in the day.

Now to show my age the first football game I ever owned was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_Day

And I eagerly awaited the release of the follow up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_Day_II

Both played on the 48k Spectrum+ (the decent one with the plastic keys Very Happy)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 am

Has to be SWOS for me without a shadow of a doubt, had everything you'd want in a footie game. Was streets ahead of its competitors like Kick Off and had that wonderful fun playability that was often lacking in many of its current/future rivals.

This was the first footie game I ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfqQ48hiVcU

This was my most played footie game during my single digit years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZF__T7_K4

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:44 pm

hodge wrote:I was tempted to say this is footabll purely because it ha a dive button Smile

OK lol that amused me when i was first saw it.

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:18 am

Dass wrote:Has to be SWOS for me without a shadow of a doubt, had everything you'd want in a footie game. Was streets ahead of its competitors like Kick Off and had that wonderful fun playability that was often lacking in many of its current/future rivals.

This was the first footie game I ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfqQ48hiVcU

Laugh

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 am

This was my first football game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9vDA_sBgI Loved it at the time. Was only 6!

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 am

GG wrote:This was my first football game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9vDA_sBgI Loved it at the time. Was only 6!
I watched the first 1.52 minutes and couldn't believe that

a. Someone would play as England against Dalllas
b. England hand't scored yet

I used to play that game against my mates on a regular basis. Emile Heskey was the master of the overhead kick and I often would win games 3 or 4 nil with 4 identical overhead goals, much to my mates dismay!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 am

PES 5/6 were the best ever!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:20 am

Surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Challenge-Software-Trevor-Brookings-Amstrad/dp/B00766EOYO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339172383&sr=8-4
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:58 am

No Michael Owen's WLS?

Fond memories of that.

PES 2010 on the wii was awesome.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by cremmer Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 am

Dass wrote:

I must have spent half of my childhood playing Emlyn Hughes' Soccer! It was so different to others out around the same time. Customising the squads and playing on a black pitch with a pink ball just because you could!

I think on this gen of consoles, FIFA 09 has been the best for me. It's the one that made me switch from PES and I just find PES unplayable now. FIFA 12 I've found the most frustrating. It seems to have too many preset things in it, a bit like some of the older FIFA's where there'd be "hotspots" where you'd always score.

ISS on the N64 was a game changer too and it really set the tone for football games to come. Then the first Pro Evo's that were on the PS1 were another step up in gameplay. I seem to remember the PES on PS2 with Pierluigi Collina on the cover being a favourite.

cremmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:09 am

I went with FIFA, purely for the 95 version were you could foul a player and then run away from the ref while he tries to card you

Plus in recent years IMO the FIFA franchise has overtaken the PES series after PES dominated for years

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:35 am

gazzyD wrote:I went with FIFA, purely for the 95 version were you could foul a player and then run away from the ref while he tries to card you

Plus in recent years IMO the FIFA franchise has overtaken the PES series after PES dominated for years

Laugh that sounds awesome!

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down