The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long before I'm comfortable with new irons?

3 posters

Go down

How long before I'm comfortable with new irons? Empty How long before I'm comfortable with new irons?

Post by Humpyd Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

Some of you may be aware from previous posts that in the last week I'm become the proud father to a set of Nike Pro Combo irons.

The reason for this post is to get some idea from others how quickly they gelled with their new irons.

I bought the Nike's as they felt superb on the range when I was trying out clubs - full of feel and good-looking too. However, the first time I hit them on the range 'in anger' i.e. once I'd bought them, I wondered if I'd made the right decision. I'm sure the conditions didn't help - there was quite a cold, stiff wind blowing in my face meaning the flight was quite high and consequently quite short. All completely expected but for some reason doubts have crept in. I even s***ked a few which is not completely unusual for me at the range but concerning all the same.

Obviously the acid test will be when I hit them from grass which will give me a truer picture.

Can anybody reassure me that this is completely normal???? Please..............

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

How long before I'm comfortable with new irons? Empty Re: How long before I'm comfortable with new irons?

Post by McLaren Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

It would normally be distance control that would be an issue with new irons and not ball striking. I am of course assuming you have gone for roughly the same set up as before in terms of lie, shaft length, shaft flex etc.

Very poor shots are nothing to do with the clubs even if you have never hit them before. So at least you can be content it is not the new toys.

If you are swinging well then the ball will come out of the middle, which will produce the same results no matter the club.

One issue of course is that you may have gone for a less forgiving club, in which case your off centre hits will be less well compensated for.

in terms of time to get used to new clubs, maybe a month if you go to the range a couple of times a week. Really shouldn't take any longer.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

How long before I'm comfortable with new irons? Empty Re: How long before I'm comfortable with new irons?

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

If you weren't custom fit, they might never work aswell as previous irons you have owned, especially if they are less forgiving.

So many factors affect a clubs performance that it would be like Mac droning on about Course Design to go into it all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down