3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by 123456789 on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

If Edinburgh win the whole tournament Scotland will be obliged to entre a third team into next year's tournament, we only have two pro teams therefore we have a number of options:
Give up the place to another country or pro12 team
Entre the winner of premier 1, possibly the fairest option but will they be able to afford it
Create a team based on the best from the amateur teams and the academies
Entre the u20s except those playing for pro sides already
Recreate a pro team for the tournament to see how it would work in Aberdeen or the Borders with a view to make it a full time side

123456789

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2011-11-13

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

Give it to Cardiff Blues.

3rdGrandslamCame

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-03-24

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Give it to Cardiff Blues.

You really think the Dragons will overhaul the blues?

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21453
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by IanBru on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:08 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Give it to Cardiff Blues.
I'm not sure I get this joke. The Blues have already qualified, surely?

My heart would love to see a Melrose, Ayr or Gala squaring off against Clermont or Toulouse, playing balls-to-the-wall, fearless running rugby. In all honesty, they'd probably get tanked, but it would be a real marker to those outside Scotland that the old borders clubs are still going strong.

Alternatively, this could be a useful opportunity to advance the long-term goal of reviving a third pro club, . As you suggest, Numbers, we could create an invitational club with the best players from Premier 1, playing at Netherdale, and funded with the money that Edinburgh have made during this season's HC run (incidentally, how much more have they made by playing in the semi-final?).
IanBru
IanBru

Posts : 2905
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

IanBru wrote:
3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Give it to Cardiff Blues.
I'm not sure I get this joke. The Blues have already qualified, surely?

My heart would love to see a Melrose, Ayr or Gala squaring off against Clermont or Toulouse, playing balls-to-the-wall, fearless running rugby. In all honesty, they'd probably get tanked, but it would be a real marker to those outside Scotland that the old borders clubs are still going strong.

Alternatively, this could be a useful opportunity to advance the long-term goal of reviving a third pro club, . As you suggest, Numbers, we could create an invitational club with the best players from Premier 1, playing at Netherdale, and funded with the money that Edinburgh have made during this season's HC run (incidentally, how much more have they made by playing in the semi-final?).

It is a complicated joke for grown ups.

3rdGrandslamCame

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-03-24

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:
IanBru wrote:
3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Give it to Cardiff Blues.
I'm not sure I get this joke. The Blues have already qualified, surely?

My heart would love to see a Melrose, Ayr or Gala squaring off against Clermont or Toulouse, playing balls-to-the-wall, fearless running rugby. In all honesty, they'd probably get tanked, but it would be a real marker to those outside Scotland that the old borders clubs are still going strong.

Alternatively, this could be a useful opportunity to advance the long-term goal of reviving a third pro club, . As you suggest, Numbers, we could create an invitational club with the best players from Premier 1, playing at Netherdale, and funded with the money that Edinburgh have made during this season's HC run (incidentally, how much more have they made by playing in the semi-final?).

It is a complicated joke for grown ups.

It's one you have to be a follower of Welsh rugby to get Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Posts : 10925
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : London, England

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Feckless Rogue on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:10 pm

If Edinburgh won the HEC, the SRU should grab the chance to enter a third team. Either revive Borders for the tournament or Caledonia Reds based in Aberdeen. Not sure. Borders has the strong rugby tradition. But Aberdeen has a larger population to support a potential future pro team.

They should fill the team with the best Scottish club players and have it managed and coached by people from the club game. Obviously they wouldn't set the tournament on fire. But it wouldn't be that costly to field a team for 6 games. They might even take a bit of money in if they're drawn against a big, glamorous side like Toulouse. And it would give the SRU some useful information on the potential for a 3rd full time pro team in the future.

This sort of pro-active step would be very unlike the SRU though. They'd probably just give the spot to another country to try and save money.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Posts : 3230
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : The Mighty Kingdom Of Leinster

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Coleman on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:15 pm

Outside of The Borders and Caledonia. Did the Scots not create such a team for the first season of the B&I Cup? Gale Force or Gael Force? From what i remember they were made of the of the U-20's of Edin and Glasgow.

Coleman

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Cryptoyourisan on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

Coleman wrote:Outside of The Borders and Caledonia. Did the Scots not create such a team for the first season of the B&I Cup? Gale Force or Gael Force? From what i remember they were made of the of the U-20's of Edin and Glasgow.

Yes, although I think it was based in Stirling.

Cryptoyourisan

Posts : 297
Join date : 2012-04-09

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
3rdGrandslamCame wrote:
IanBru wrote:
3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Give it to Cardiff Blues.
I'm not sure I get this joke. The Blues have already qualified, surely?

My heart would love to see a Melrose, Ayr or Gala squaring off against Clermont or Toulouse, playing balls-to-the-wall, fearless running rugby. In all honesty, they'd probably get tanked, but it would be a real marker to those outside Scotland that the old borders clubs are still going strong.

Alternatively, this could be a useful opportunity to advance the long-term goal of reviving a third pro club, . As you suggest, Numbers, we could create an invitational club with the best players from Premier 1, playing at Netherdale, and funded with the money that Edinburgh have made during this season's HC run (incidentally, how much more have they made by playing in the semi-final?).

It is a complicated joke for grown ups.

It's one you have to be a follower of Welsh rugby to get Wink
There is a possibility that those to statements could be mutually exclusive in a significant minority of cases

Jenifer McLadyboy

Posts : 4764
Join date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RDW on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:38 pm


RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 27681
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 32
Location : London

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:36 pm

If Edinburgh win the HEC, or if a French side does (as they are definately going to win the Amlin), then I believe the 'spare' HEC slot goes to the highest rated non-qualified team in the Official ERC rankings. Sorry.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9920
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 35
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by red_stag on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:If Edinburgh win the HEC, or if a French side does (as they are definately going to win the Amlin), then I believe the 'spare' HEC slot goes to the highest rated non-qualified team in the Official ERC rankings. Sorry.

It'll be either Biarritz, Perpignan or Wasps so.
red_stag
red_stag

Posts : 15653
Join date : 2011-05-19
Age : 31
Location : Limerick, Ireland

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

123456789 wrote:If Edinburgh win the whole tournament....

There you go you see. At this point it was a waste of time carrying on with any discussion ;-)

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by offload on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

Nah, if Edinburgh win, give the extra place to England. With 7 or 8 teams in it they might have a better chance of a semi finalist. Might even shut them up about restructuring the competition. Wink
offload
offload

Posts : 2278
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 102
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

Equo Troiano wrote:
123456789 wrote:If Edinburgh win the whole tournament....

There you go you see. At this point it was a waste of time carrying on with any discussion ;-)

Well everyone thought they would be bottom of their pool. They won it.

Everyone thought Toulouse would beat them, they didn't.

See where this is going? Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm

Yep, Scottish disappointment i'm afraid.

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:56 pm

I dare say if Edinbrugh can beat Toulouse we can beat Ulster.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I dare say if Edinbrugh can beat Toulouse we can beat Ulster.

You just keep holding on to that dream.

I suppose 'Burgh could do it..... but an up for it Ulster at Ravenhill is a different proposition to a mis-firing Toulouse at Murrayfield.

Lets just say some old biddy dies and wills Edinburgh the win in Belfast, do you honestly (now come on) think that they would beat either Clermont or Leinster at Twickenham?

Why isn't there a cuckoo icon!

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

Equo Troiano wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I dare say if Edinbrugh can beat Toulouse we can beat Ulster.

You just keep holding on to that dream.

I suppose 'Burgh could do it..... but an up for it Ulster at Ravenhill is a different proposition to a mis-firing Toulouse at Murrayfield.

Lets just say some old biddy dies and wills Edinburgh the win in Belfast, do you honestly (now come on) think that they would beat either Clermont or Leinster at Twickenham?

Why isn't there a cuckoo icon!
Shame the game will be played at the Aviva in Dublin then Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 107
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Irish Londoner on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

Firstly Ulster are not playing at Ravenhill they are playing in Dublin.

Also whilst I bow to no man in my wish to see an all Ireland final at Twickenham it's not a given yet, one off games have a habit of not panning out - there's all sorts of things that can happen. Hopefully no-one in the North is counting chickens just yet.........

Irish Londoner

Posts : 1273
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 57
Location : Wakefield

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:26 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:Firstly Ulster are not playing at Ravenhill they are playing in Dublin.


My mistake - not that it will make any difference to the outcome of this match. Probably.

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:31 pm

I find it strange how a team panned with having no chance to make it this far are still given no chance when their next opponents lack the class, pedigree and international talent that their last opponents had.

chin

I am by no means saying Edinburgh WILL win. I'm saying they CAN win.

I don't think it's wise to write Edinburgh off. Toulouse did, so did Metro and London Irish. Look what happened to them.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:34 pm

To be fair Edinburgh stand a better chance of getting to the final and winning it if they are against opposition who they play regularly, as they should have less to feel pressured about, as they will know their opposition. I do not think that they will win the HEC but if they did win it I would not be totally suprised.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9920
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 35
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

What is encouraging from an Edinburgh perspective is that the Edinburgh attack is so varied and unpredictable. It's difficult to definitively shut out the fast offloading game that Edinburgh adopt and in some ways it will negate the powerful Ulster defence we saw shut down Munster (a more predictable attacking outfit) Sure, the Ulster attack will certainly cause Edinburgh problems, and Edinburgh certainly can't afford another two yellow cards, particularly one as daft as the Chunk yellow. But this match is not a foregone conclusion by any means.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15866
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 38
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

I dunno, you get the feeling that Scotland - whether it is the international side or Edinburgh/Glasgow have the one odd good game in them - and I can't help feeling that was Edinburgh's.

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:02 pm

Equo Troiano wrote:I dunno, you get the feeling that Scotland - whether it is the international side or Edinburgh/Glasgow have the one odd good game in them - and I can't help feeling that was Edinburgh's.


Edinburgh have had quite a few "one odd good game" this season, as have Glasgow (check out the Rabo12).

As for the international side, I'm still waiting for it....

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15866
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 38
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:04 pm

Equo Troiano wrote:I dunno, you get the feeling that Scotland - whether it is the international side or Edinburgh/Glasgow have the one odd good game in them - and I can't help feeling that was Edinburgh's.

It seems Edinburgh have had a few "good games" in the ERC though. Beating LI away and thumping them at home. Beating RM at home and away and beating Toulouse.

I can't help feeling Edinburgh have a bit of momentum right now and will quite rightly be fancying their chances of turning Ulster over. Sure it's at the Aviva, the new home of Irish rugby but Edinburgh have had an ok record on the road in the HC this year.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:03 pm

Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Quite the Stormcrow eh?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Ulster have won the HEC, and Clermont have not!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9920
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 35
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Quite the Stormcrow eh?

Quite the realist.

Good luck though. It would be nice to see the cup go somewhere new.

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Notch on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:24 pm

If Edinburgh win the Heineken Cup the place will go to the highest ranked side in Europe who haven't already qualified OK
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Majestic83 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

I would love to see a 3rd scottish pro team set up. Think the best place for them to be based would be Aberdeen who have the set up and population to support a team. Will it happen? I doubt it just now but in the near future hopefully.
This is just in theory but a potential 1st xv could be something like this.

1. Grant Shiells
2. Fergus Thompson
3. Euan Murray
4. Jim Hamilton
5. Big Foreign lock Dannie Rossouw for example
6. Al Strokosh
7. A MacDonald
8. Blair Cowan
9. Brendan McKibbin
10.Ruraidh Jackson
11. Max Evans
12. Robbie Fergusson
13. Joe Ansbro
14. Sean Maitland
15. Robbie Robinson

16. Sean Crombie 17. Mike MacDonald 18. Bruce Douglas 19. Josh Brown 20 Michael Maltman 21. Grayson Hart 22 Lee Millar 23 Bryan Rennie

Think potentially there is the depth to get a 3rd team as plenty of players playing outside Scotland who could comeback and there is a fair bit of young talent coming through now.

Majestic83

Posts : 1580
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : East Lothian/Aberdeenshire

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by 123456789 on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 12:41 am

We could even push for a fourth...

1. Dickinson
2. Lawson
3. Kalman
4. McKenzie
5. J. Gray
6. White
7. Hogg
8. Taylor
9. Gregor
10. A. Blair
11. Danielli
12. Grove
13. Fife
14. Walker
15. Thompson

My knowledge of age-grade and club teams is poor so add to that 5-6 foreign players, 7-8 age grade players and 9-10 club players then you have a decent squad all that is left is the money, the fans, the stadium and the SRU to back it. Would the other Rabodirect clubs allow us to bring in 1-2 teams?

123456789

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2011-11-13

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by George Carlin on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:16 am

Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Equo - it would help me a lot when reading your various rather snotty digs to be even roughly aware of your overall point.

Are you suggesting that Edinburgh fans should not take a moment to be happy with a good Heineken Cup run? Or is your point that no team should be happy with anything other than a Cup win? Either way, just because Edinburgh's run was unexpected at the start of the season does not diminish its merit in any way. The fact that Scotland fans have had little to cheer this season makes your remarks all the more graceless and unconstructive.

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 14694
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:23 am

George Carlin wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Equo - it would help me a lot when reading your various rather snotty digs to be even roughly aware of your overall point.

Are you suggesting that Edinburgh fans should not take a moment to be happy with a good Heineken Cup run? Or is your point that no team should be happy with anything other than a Cup win? Either way, just because Edinburgh's run was unexpected at the start of the season does not diminish its merit in any way. The fact that Scotland fans have had little to cheer this season makes your remarks all the more graceless and unconstructive.

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 107
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by beshocked on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:32 am

If Edinburgh win the Heineken Cup then yes Scotland should get a 3rd team.

I think it's great for Scottish rugby that Edinburgh are in the HC semi finals.

Odd that a HC semi finalist can be 11th in their league though.




beshocked

Posts : 14849
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:50 am

George Carlin wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Equo - it would help me a lot when reading your various rather snotty digs to be even roughly aware of your overall point.

Are you suggesting that Edinburgh fans should not take a moment to be happy with a good Heineken Cup run? Or is your point that no team should be happy with anything other than a Cup win? Either way, just because Edinburgh's run was unexpected at the start of the season does not diminish its merit in any way. The fact that Scotland fans have had little to cheer this season makes your remarks all the more graceless and unconstructive.

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.

Hilarious. Of course your rather graceless comments are re-defining hypocrasy (sp) but it matters not, the outcome on the pitch will favour my opinion (of that i'm sure). I think it also rather ironic that someone can start talking about a Scottish team winning the HC and a new club being formed when Edinburgh are the worst of the four left, with Scottish Rabo clubs hardly setting the world alight and the Scottish international team the worst in the 6N. The SRU can hardly sustain 2 main clubs, let alone another, or even more laughably, a fourth (as some have suggested). One swallow does not make a Summer .... etc.

Graciousness doesn't come into it. Practicality does however.


Last edited by Equo Troiano on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:55 am

Edinburgh fans should be delighted at what has been a really good Heineken campaign.

It makes sense for SRU to at least start to consider what they would do should Edinburgh win two more matches.

However Edinbugh are the outsiders to win the tournament. Even Bookies in Scotland have them a long way back in their odds.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21453
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:20 am

Equo Troiano wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Equo - it would help me a lot when reading your various rather snotty digs to be even roughly aware of your overall point.

Are you suggesting that Edinburgh fans should not take a moment to be happy with a good Heineken Cup run? Or is your point that no team should be happy with anything other than a Cup win? Either way, just because Edinburgh's run was unexpected at the start of the season does not diminish its merit in any way. The fact that Scotland fans have had little to cheer this season makes your remarks all the more graceless and unconstructive.

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.

Hilarious. Of course your rather graceless comments are re-defining hypocrasy (sp) but it matters not, the outcome on the pitch will favour my opinion (of that i'm sure). I think it also rather ironic that someone can start talking about a Scottish team winning the HC and a new club being formed when Edinburgh are the worst of the four left, with Scottish Rabo clubs hardly setting the world alight and the Scottish international team the worst in the 6N. The SRU can hardly sustain 2 main clubs, let alone another, or even more laughably, a fourth (as some have suggested). One swallow does not make a Summer .... etc.

Graciousness doesn't come into it. Practicality does however.

Ah yes Glasgow, that town in North Wales, I'm sure they are in contention for a play off place in the pro 12 aren't they?

If only one of the Scottish clubs were in that position. Doh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by eirebilly on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:23 am

Of course Edinburgh can beat Ulster, i dont think that they will but they certainly can.

Scottish fans have had an absolutely horrid year with their national side but Edinburgh and Glasgow have been shining lights and good luck to them and their fans, you should enjoy the moment.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to bet against any of the 4 remaining sides winning the HC, they have all done incredibly well to get to this stage so they are all in with a chance.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24152
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 48
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Equo Troiano on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:29 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Don't get too precious, Scottish rugby is hardly enjoying a rennaisance.

Its moot anyway, because whoever wins the tie at the Aviva will probably get well beaten by the winner of the other semi-final, as nither Ulster nor Edinburgh are as good as Clermont or Leinster and neither team has much experience of knock out rugby.

Equo - it would help me a lot when reading your various rather snotty digs to be even roughly aware of your overall point.

Are you suggesting that Edinburgh fans should not take a moment to be happy with a good Heineken Cup run? Or is your point that no team should be happy with anything other than a Cup win? Either way, just because Edinburgh's run was unexpected at the start of the season does not diminish its merit in any way. The fact that Scotland fans have had little to cheer this season makes your remarks all the more graceless and unconstructive.

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.

Hilarious. Of course your rather graceless comments are re-defining hypocrasy (sp) but it matters not, the outcome on the pitch will favour my opinion (of that i'm sure). I think it also rather ironic that someone can start talking about a Scottish team winning the HC and a new club being formed when Edinburgh are the worst of the four left, with Scottish Rabo clubs hardly setting the world alight and the Scottish international team the worst in the 6N. The SRU can hardly sustain 2 main clubs, let alone another, or even more laughably, a fourth (as some have suggested). One swallow does not make a Summer .... etc.

Graciousness doesn't come into it. Practicality does however.

Ah yes Glasgow, that town in North Wales, I'm sure they are in contention for a play off place in the pro 12 aren't they?

If only one of the Scottish clubs were in that position. Doh

Look, don't get all upset with me, just because Scottish rugby couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Equo Troiano

Posts : 499
Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by beshocked on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

Eirebilly of course they all in with a chance but one would expect Leinster and Clermont to have a better chance than Ulster and Edinburgh.

Ulster and Edinburgh can believe though.

beshocked

Posts : 14849
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by eirebilly on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

My point being, beshocked, is that this is in the knockout stages and no side will take eachother for granted. Toulouse where much more fancied than Edinburgh and they still lost. Anything can happen and even if Edinburgh are the least favoured side, they have as much chance as any of the other 3.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24152
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 48
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RDW on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:35 am

Equo Troiano wrote:

Look, don't get all upset with me, just because Scottish rugby couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Equo - if it is your opinion that Edinburgh don't stand a chance then fair enough. However your tone and attitude is not acceptable on the forum as you are clearly just trying to wind people up. You are more than welcome to give your opinion, as long as you don't seek to antagonise people in the process.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 27681
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 32
Location : London

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:36 am

eirebilly wrote:My point being, beshocked, is that this is in the knockout stages and no side will take eachother for granted. Toulouse where much more fancied than Edinburgh and they still lost. Anything can happen and even if Edinburgh are the least favoured side, they have as much chance as any of the other 3.

I disagree with that last bit as it effectively assumes that team quality is irrelevant and knock out rugby is a lottery. Past performances would indicate edinburgh are not as good as the other 3, so while they have a chance it is not as high as the other 3.

what we can say however is that Edinburgh's chances are infinitely higher than that of an English or Welsh team winning.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21453
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

Equo Troiano wrote:
Look, don't get all upset with me, just because Scottish rugby couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I'm not getting upset with you. Just do your damn homework/research before making comments that are not backed up by facts.

Scottish clubs are doing pretty well with Edinburgh in the Semi's of the Heineken cup and Glasgow in contention for the playoffs in the Pro12.

It's also worth noting Edinburgh were expected to come last in their group. They won it, and in a pretty convincing way securing a home quarter against Toulouse who everyone expected us to get beat by. We beat them too. I would say Edinburgh have just as much chance as any of the others.

I'm not looking past Ulster, they are a tough team to play, especialy in Ireland. However there is no reason the Edinburgh players and fans shouldn't have beleif in the team that has made the bookies look like rookies for the entirety of this years ERC.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:

Look, don't get all upset with me, just because Scottish rugby couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Equo - if it is your opinion that Edinburgh don't stand a chance then fair enough. However your tone and attitude is not acceptable on the forum as you are clearly just trying to wind people up. You are more than welcome to give your opinion, as long as you don't seek to antagonise people in the process.

RDW, while Equo is guilty as charged, surely he was also provoked by commentsd such as

On the other hand, if your piles are playing up, your girlfriend's just left you and you've just had your brogues pooed on by an enthusiastic young labradoodle, then by all means fill your boots.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21453
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by eirebilly on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

LondonTiger wrote:
eirebilly wrote:My point being, beshocked, is that this is in the knockout stages and no side will take eachother for granted. Toulouse where much more fancied than Edinburgh and they still lost. Anything can happen and even if Edinburgh are the least favoured side, they have as much chance as any of the other 3.

I disagree with that last bit as it effectively assumes that team quality is irrelevant and knock out rugby is a lottery. Past performances would indicate edinburgh are not as good as the other 3, so while they have a chance it is not as high as the other 3.

what we can say however is that Edinburgh's chances are infinitely higher than that of an English or Welsh team winning.

No thats not what i am saying at all. I am saying that Edinburgh have got to the semi finals on merit, no luck or lottery, merit. I am saying that they may be the least fancied side but they have the quality to cause an upset. No side has gotton to this stage based on luck or lottery.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24152
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 48
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season Empty Re: 3rd Scottish team in the Heineken next season

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum