The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher

+20
EmmDee57
Diggers
mystiroakey
Fader
LastDamnation
NedB-H
John Cregan
McLaren
Roderick Slyme
Alsie
sirbenson
Shotrock
WillyGilly
Skydriver
Tinmar
GPB
Lairdy
princedracula
Redrage
kwinigolfer
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:31 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Bubbamania is sweeping America. It may not last long but it is a breath of fresh air in this week that the Tour takes a breath of fresh air, from the stifling corporate, possibly racist, apparently misogynist, environmentally unfriendly confines of Augusta National. We're off to Carolina, to South Carolina and Hilton Head Island, home of Harbour Town Golf Links and Calibogue Sound.

2).Was this as thrilling a Masters as Schwartzel's victory in 2011? Pretty darn close I would say, certainly in respect of the fact that halfway through the back nine on Sunday there were few clear signals as to how it would all end. As ever in the Majors there were winners and there were losers.
Obvious winners like Bubba and pink PING drivers. But some smaller victories, Graeme McDowell for instance, who wanted to make the cut if only to get more "reps" as he sought to "figure this place out". Shot -5 over the weekend, good for T12.
While some secured a return visit to Augusta for instance. Most of the Top 16 will be back thanks to exemptions or being certain for the owgr Top 50 at the end of December.
Some of the eventual Top 16 were less certain, however, but they booked their passage on Sunday: Hanson, Poulter, Furyk, Na (too bad) and Garcia.

3).And some were losers; those who came close but hit an inadvertent railing (or perhaps balance assisting device on a Patron Observation Platform?), Luke, Rory, Tiger etc. And I'd say Martin Kaymer should be on that list. Started out well but seemed to fritter shots away as the week wore on.
Then there were one or two, not certain to be back, who started Round 4 in the Top 16 but fell away: Frannie Molinari, Crane (good), Jacobson, Dufner, Lawrie, Watney, O'Hair and Stenson.

4).What does Johnny Miller think about his Tiger prediction following Bay Hill?
"It wouldn't totally surprise me if he were to win 35-40 times from now. He could do it. The way he is playing right now he is going to kick butt."
Johnny Miller morphed quickly in to Gotye as the Tiger who sailed back down Magnolia Lane was more like "Somebody that I used to know".

5).Turn the clock back one year and the tournament venue following The Masters was in San Antonio and the traditional stop, on Hilton Head, had no sponsor and was funded by the Heritage Classic Foundation. RBC, sponsor of the Canadian Open, stepped up to the plate, however, the "RBC Heritage" retrieved its post-Masters date, and a top class field will compete at Pete Dye's gem, Harbour Town Golf Links. Apart from Hilton Head being one of my three favourite places in the U.S., Harbour Town is probably the most "playable" course on the pros' calendar. No silly forced carries, just a strategic navigation around one of the shorter tracks on Tour and most amateurs will shoot close to their handicap unless they insist on playing from "the tips".

6).Pete Dye designed Harbour Town in the late sixties with help from a player "consultant", feller called Nicklaus. The result is shortish holes, gorgeous set of short/medium length par 3's, some of the smallest greens on Tour, and the pros' second favourite: "Really good course to play." "You don't need length for a great golf course, it's not 7,600 yards - you have to hit golf shots there." "You have to shape the ball on almost every hole."
Sounds ideal for Bubba then. But he's not here, (though it's timely to remember that Bubba already has a US Open T5 as well as his PGA play-off loss. Not every Major course will suit him, but he'll make sure that many will.)

7).Will Luke Donald bounce back this week, scene of his 2011 play-off loss to Snedeker? His good driving at Augusta National will stand him in good stead, but his irons need to be precise and his short game 2011-esque. Brian Davis also has a decent record here, and other notable "Internationals" include Els, Immelman, Harrington, Bae, Ogilvy, Badds, and some top Swedes.

8).The Tour's southern boys are also here in force; not Bubba of course, or Dustin Johnson, but Cink (two wins), Haas, Howell, Kuchar, Simpson, Snedeker and even two-time winner Boo Weekley, etc., etc. Like Lukey, Furyk has a fine record here, as does the fastest finisher last week, Van Pelt, Badds and Ernie.

9).One thing the pros, especially those living outside "the States", will have to figure out next year is the reported (most recently by the AP) probability that the 2012 pre-Masters schedule may run: Bay Hill, Houston, Texas Open, due to the very late date for The Masters (ending Sunday, April 14th). No way that the TPC San Antonio will attract those warming up for Augusta in the way that Houston has strived to do, so there will be some unusual travel itineraries being concocted.

10).The Champions Tour resumes its on-again, off-again schedule this week with a stop in Tampa. Kirk Triplett and his bucket hat make their senior circuit debut, and Mark Mouland is also in the field. So is Sandy Lyle after what may well have been his final round at The Masters, and a motley crew of TV commentators, Boring Bobby Clampett, Jacobsen, Koch, Maltbie, North and Strange among them. No Michael Vaughan though.

Last edited by ban_bam on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Editor McLaren spotted an egregious error. Now corrected.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by NedB-H Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

PGA Team GB&I +9 from the morning wave.

Nationwide Team GB(& no I) +5 thru 8 so far.

You can't win 'em all I guess.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:44 pm

I would have held out for more ....

http://anthonypioppi.com/golf/golf/594/owner-of-louis-oosthuizens-double-eagle-golf-ball-reportedly-makes-a-trade-with-augusta-national

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:51 pm

Any reason why the field is only 132 this week?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:13 pm

Ned,
The Heritage is classified as an "invitational", and has a limited field.
Not quite sure why, or what is so special to have designated invitational status.
Lots of big names towards the bottom of the leaderboard, especially surprised about Allenby, seems his season is falling apart following his aneurysm against John Huh.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:30 pm

This is the first time I've seen the Harbour Town course and I must saying imo visually stunning, and has been added to my list of want to play courses.

Also I don't know why but I really can't stand to watch Webb Simpson play all looks a bit odd somehow. Would like to see a geoff ogilvy win if only for rocking the moustache!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

Fader,
Harbour Town really is a lovely place; quite expensive to play, however, and the conditioning of the course can be a bit iffy, given the amount of traffic it gets. The course really "flows", never get the feeling a particular hole is a filler to get you from one "visual stunner" to another. Only 17 and 18 actually have see views.

A calm morning on Hilton Head Island, temps will hover around 50F as the boys leave the Hilton Head Diner and make their way to the course.

Cut-line currently at +2 and would expect it to stay there, which means Donald (+4), Owen (+3) and Harrington (+3) need to play Round 2 under par, preferably in the 60's.
Penthouse-to-outhouse stuff from Martin Laird Thursday, played well through the most difficult conditions to reach -2, only to bogey his last 3 holes; no excuse for that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:33 pm

so i take it its back to normal service and we may get a english winner this week then as the major has been done and dusted. I vowed to take a couple fo weeks off , but i cant lol. However i think donald might as well have!! bad first round again

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:49 pm

Following on from recent board themes... Brian Gay is the first amongst those trying to edge above the cut line. O'Hern, BVP and Streelman also with fast starts.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:56 pm

I see Camilo has left the scene of the crime . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

Injury? Being superfit can come at a price. Weirdly it can be easier to pick up niggles etc.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

yep thats true laidy- look at casey guy is in immense shape, yet had that toe niggle for yonks!

obvioulsy the broken arm was more about his other antics, but i suppose the fitter players are gonna be more active as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Scoring much better today, especially for Team Sweden, Pettersson and Jacobson playing together and a collective -5. Not for Rickie Fowler though, 4 over thru 6 and hurtling past the cutline. What's with that?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:39 pm

And the cut-line may climb to +1 and that would give GB&I some work to do just to play the weekend:
Donald would need a 68.
Harrington and Owen would need 69's.

I wonder how good a golfer Rickie Fowler will turn out to be? The closest he's got to a tournament win was achieved before he earned his PGA Tour membership; certainly doesn't look like he's improving. Perhaps a more seasoned caddie might help?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012, 3:51 pm

rickie folwer seems to be like a prem english footballer doesnt he- all hype. I cant see any attribute in his game(other than his cockiness) to suggest he will ever get out of that massive american pack of players

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

Tim Clark climbing the leaderboard: -4 for the day.

Would be good news if he could return to fitness. Sounds like he's still trying to play through discomfort, never did have surgery.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

Has the weather turned? No updates on live scoring for a long time

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:23 pm

They seem to be having trouble feeding the meter, Ned. Very unreliable "live scoring" this past year or so.

Weather at Harbour Town reported as "Sunny, 68F, Wind 6mph", so should be perfect for scoring.

(Hope super_realist hasn't seen that Colt Knost is leading the tournament.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

Leaderboard still not working, but someone has managed to plug a typewriter into the "Tour report" section, which tells us the Swedish Redneck has the clubhouse lead at -7, must've been a couple of late birdies for him. It also has a piece about Brian Gay's caddie and some exploits with an alligator, which carries a quote from "Scott Verplank’s caddie Keith Nolan". Is that our Keith Nolan?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:49 pm

Fowler has shown little to get all the attention he does, but it proves the power of packaging to the mass market.

Boo Weekly a VERY nice guy, but right out of central casting for many. It would be great to see him have a top finish.

O'Hair on the right side of the cut line ... at the moment!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

Scott Verplank used to use Scott Tway, Boring Bob's brother.

Lost track of Keith Nolan but it would make very good sense if he hooked up with Verplank. Very nice gig last week if that's the case . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

Cut-line drifting back to +3 (not clear why that is, perhaps the course is just getting firm and fast) which can only be beneficial to GB&I.
Karlsson +6 after 6 holes though and must be wondering where his season is going, Cejka in the same boat.

Pettersson in 2nd, Freddie Jac, Christian and Brian Davis in close attendance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 8:08 pm

Luke showing some form; well inside the cut-line now.
Harrington and Owen struggling, Karlsson most likely toast.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:56 pm

Amazing stat, that 14 is the most difficult hole today, followed by 15, a par 5. Shades of Pebble Beach's par-5 14th.

Anyway, Donald approaching the cut knife edge now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm

If they are going in two-somes, Knost and Pettersen might be the heaviest final group on tour ever. At least in recent memory.

Mike Weir has missed another cut, ranked well into the 1000's now. Best finish in almost two years happened at Open de Andalucia with a T52.

has the EuroT become the metaphorical "out to pasture for major champs" with Weir, Beem, Micheel, Curtis, Hamilton, all taking up their membership?

Not to mention Michael Campbell and John Daly

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:42 pm

I didn't think John Daly had a tour card anywhere I always assumed he played off invites alone!

Seems to be a real tough back 9 for the players. Ernie suffering ina big way. Kyle Stanley letting it all unfurl at the last to just squeeze in. I fancied Stanley to have a big year this year.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:53 am

Some nightmares at the end of the round.
Donald's group and Harrington's group (Els and Haas also missed the cut) got the worst of the conditions both days, but Snedeker and one or two others did alright.
Lots of ground to make up for Donald, but a pair of 66's would put him there or thereabouts.

GPB's call on Knost and Pettersson is spot on!

Shockingly weak field for next wek's Valero Texas Open; at first glance KJ Choi, Jacobson and Kuchar are the only top 60 players on hand.
A resounding vote of no confidence in the course there, or the timing of the event in the Tour schedule.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:08 am

Based on what I saw of it last year, it didn't look much cop. But it did have the redeeming feature of being able to enjoy Na's meltdown Smile

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 14 Apr 2012, 4:04 am

Not sure how reliable it is as evidence of a favourable/unfavourable tour, but there were 12 Europeans in the field this week. The four who were out late yesterday are all inside the top 20. Of the seven who were out early yesterday, six missed the cut, and the exception was the world number one who had to scramble to make it, way down the field, despite his excellent record here.

There was a lot of debate on here last week about the fairness or otherwise of the Masters entry criteria, and particularly handing out unearned "invites". They could be worse though. The ex NFL legend Jerry Rice got an invite to the Nationwide event this week for no other reason than being famous in a different sport. He's had three previous NW appearances - here the past two years, shooting 83-76 in 2010 and 81-82 last year (round a par 70), and a DQ at another event in 2010. This time round he went 86 yesterday, 42 for the front nine today, then walked off. Somewhere in California there'll be a struggling young golf pro twiddling his thumbs and wishing he was better at American football...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 14 Apr 2012, 9:58 am

I fully expect doald to somehow sneak a top 20 in somehow.

Cant think of any golfer to have such rd 4 consitancy- he is almost garanteed a sub 70 score final round.

My rookie pick of the year english doing the biz..

Who is Knost??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Ned,
No excuses about Jerry Rice playing, but he is involved in the event, promoting it and working with the sponsors. But this is the third time - you'd think he'd've taken the hint.

Colt Knost? He's a Texas fatty who played well in a Byron Nelson of a few years ago, Walker Cupper and has been to and fro between the PGA Tour and Nationwide for three or four years. First PGA Tour top ten in his 65th start at Mayakoba earlier this year. Will he last?

Brian Davis nicely placed under our radar, Gary Christian also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

Warmer this morning than for Rounds 1 & 2, and Luuuuke should have ideal scoring conditions. Pretty calm right now, breeze picking up as the day wears on.
Many good players among the early starters and we should discover pretty soon if there are really low rounds out there. Furyk, Simpson, Stanley, Mark Wilson, Dufner in the first few groups, as well as Donald.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:49 pm

I once played a round of golf with Clyde Drexler (professional basketball player from the 80's). He was a legit 3, not due to great swing, but due to sheer persistence and love of the "game". During the round he related how often he plays with other former professionals and how playing golf (sometimes for pretty big $) fills the competitive void from his "playing" days.

Now Clyde harbors no illusions about how and if he could compete in any professional setting. And while not discussing Jerry Rice, he did mention that a lot of "very good" golfers think they could play many levels up. He chuckled about that.

Here's a prediction Jerry - if you don't finish dead last it's because one of the legit players was physically hurt! Rolling Eyes

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

" Somewhere in California there'll be a struggling young golf pro twiddling his thumbs and wishing he was better at American football..."

I bet a lot of the top golfers wish they were better at American football.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 14 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

In 2007, Colt Knost won the two biggest USGA amateur event. The US Amateur and the US Public Links. (as well as on the winning Walker Team).

Jerry Rice playing the NW event is doing exactly what his exemption was supposed to do. Making people talk about it. The unrestricted exemptions are exactly that, unrestricted. I doubt very many fans in California will look at the entrant list and say "Wow Fredrik Svanberg is playing at 1 pm today, we need to go watch him play"

If there is a young California golf pro musing about playing football, maybe he should start practicing more golf so he doesn't have to lean on sponsors invites.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 14 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

GPB wrote:If they are going in two-somes, Knost and Pettersen might be the heaviest final group on tour ever. At least in recent memory...
Makes Oosty&Kruger in the last group in Malaysia look like a pair of anorexics (~110 lbs lighter)... Mind you the two groups just behind Knost&Pettersson are not featherweights either...

Luuuke stuck in neutral today...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

Very very poor from Luke Donald; these past two weeks have been a nightmare, not hitting irons well, putting poorly.
Prospects for his season ahead need to be reassessed, nowhere close to his best right now, that Transitions performance an oasis in a very big desert.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 14 Apr 2012, 5:21 pm

donald needs a break, he has played and travelled to much recently- he needs to forget about no.1s and top tens and wins in the weaker field events and start working on scedules around majors- i think westy is starting to do that and maybe why he is getting so many goodish placings

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 14 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

GPB wrote:In 2007, Colt Knost won the two biggest USGA amateur event. The US Amateur and the US Public Links. (as well as on the winning Walker Team).

Jerry Rice playing the NW event is doing exactly what his exemption was supposed to do. Making people talk about it. The unrestricted exemptions are exactly that, unrestricted. I doubt very many fans in California will look at the entrant list and say "Wow Fredrik Svanberg is playing at 1 pm today, we need to go watch him play"

If there is a young California golf pro musing about playing football, maybe he should start practicing more golf so he doesn't have to lean on sponsors invites.
Couldn't disagree more GPB. If Rice wants to play he can do what Svanberg and many others who try to make a living do and play the Monday qualifiers - if you've come through those then you've earned your place in the field by right. I'm sure it's helpful to have a famous name like Rice on board, and well done him for supporting the tournament, but surely with his contacts, his wealth and his fame he could find a more productive way to promote the event than hacking his way pointlessly round the course. Having him there signing autographs for fans would probably get as many people through the gates as having him play. Whoever was first reserve wouldn't have been relying on sponsors invites either - the way their exemption system works (I think) it'd have been someone who missed the cut at Q-school final stage, thereby earning limited status. i.e., getting into events that aren't clogged up with underserving people. I don't mind the sponsors handing out a few invites to hotshot amateurs, hyped young pros or big names on the decline, but not people who are never going to be competitive and who are just playing as a hobby.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Very very poor from Luke Donald; these past two weeks have been a nightmare, not hitting irons well, putting poorly...
Agree, he needs a break... to refresh his mind on the "art/theory" of iron play and putting...Smile Not sure he's gonna take a break any time soon though...
Not many that I'd like to cheer for from those left around the top at the moment. I'll stick with Freddy Jac for the time being...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:03 pm

Whether or not Luke needs a break is debatable; no-one in the top 60 money-winners based in the US has played less, and remember his Match Play "effort" was "one and done".
This is only his second event since taking a couple of weeks off and don't know that we'd expect him to play again until The Players.

Would imagine some quality family time and a little practice with the irons that have been giving him fits might do the trick. Just not sharp.

Long year though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

So, bad news for England maybe, but better for Wales and really good for Scotland;

Ben Briscoe had a fine Nationwide Round 2 and will make the cut comfortably. While Russell Knox is also playing well, in 27th place with three second round holes to play.

Mark Mouland has two middling rounds in the Champions Tour book, currently about 40th of a field of 81. But Sandy Lyle proves there's life in the old dog yet, currently tied for 3rd with 2 x soixante neufs in Rounds 1 and 2.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

princedracula wrote:I'll stick with Freddy Jac for the time being...
devil Doh

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

Pettersson takes the lead; he might not relinquish it.
Davis still going well.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:41 pm

IMO, the unrestricted sponsors exemptions are just that. UNRESTRICTED! They can use them for whoever they want. They can use to for a local hotshot amateur, or to give a guy a break or to give the tournament exposure.

Royal Bank of Canada is the sponsor this week in Hilton Head (and another tournament). This week are ponying up ~ 6 million dollars. They are entitled to invite a couple of players they might give their tournament exposure.

I happen to think that Mike Weir should not have been given exemption. (he was). He has not made a check all year on the PGAT (T52 at Andalucia). They guy appears to have no game anymore. But Weir is on the RBC staff.

Weir gives RBC some additional exposure in Canada. And Jerry Rice gives the NW tournament some additional exposure. the fact that we are posting about is incremental exposure that the NW would not have got.

And before you ask, I had no problem whatsoever with the Michelle Wie sponsor exemptions.

People only get outraged when it is a notable person that gets the exemptions. No one is complaining about Todd Camplin who finished DFL (among those that did not WD).

I assume he was Sponsors invite as I don't think they have Monday qualifying for Invitationals. The fact is that Sponsors Invites tend to underperform no matter if they are some anonymous pro or someone famous for something other than playing mens golf.

I can imagine if Bill Gates wants to come along and offers Microsoft as the new umbrella sponsor for what is now the Nationwide Tour. but it is contigent on Bill Gates wants to invite the Microsoft Corp golf champion. What the heck is Tim Finchem going to do?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

I have no problem with Sponsor's exemptions. They put up the $, they take the risk, good for them. They need to fill the stands (aka elevated patron viewing areas in Augusta), and keep the TV revenue going.

My issue is with Jerry Rice. Does he really believe he can be competitive at that level? Does he know he's just a sideshow? The Nationwide tour is no regular Euro or US tour, but it's chock full of excellent golfers.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

Gratuitous sponsor's exemptions are dished out on all Tours, some obviously more deserving than others. Surprised Jerry Rice's pride wouldn't be dented though by hacking it around one day, withdrawing the next. Not a pretty sight.

As for Mike Weir, GPB, you'd better get used to him as he'll have at least two more years of full eligibility.

Meanwhile, two awful putts from Boo!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 14 Apr 2012, 8:55 pm

Mike Weir has exhausted his eligibility on the PGAT.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 14 Apr 2012, 9:01 pm

Not sure whether Mike Weir has some combo of medical and money list exemptions left, but he certianly doesn't have anything that would have got him in to this field otherwise. But I'm not a fan of these "invitationals" anyway, I struggle to see what benefit there is to cutting 25 guys out of the normal field size.

We moan about the US coverage a lot on here, but I'm enjoying it tonight (now we're passed the pointless 30-minute gap). Good commentary and every shot for the leading group.
Sorry to see Gary Christian falling away though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Apr 2012, 9:03 pm

Mike Weir certainly hasn't. He's 16th on the career earnings list which means he'll use a top 25 exemption if he needs it, and then would still have a top 50 exemption up his sleeve.
Let's hope he doesn't need it, good golfer, good guy.

50/50 chance Luke tees it up tomorrow with his pal Webb Simpson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 14 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

I believe Weir has used all his career money list exemptions. he is only playing on Sponsors invites on the PGAT.

He is not listed in either 10a or 10b in the Tour eligibility exemptions:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/player_exemptions/index.html

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next