The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If there was a Texas scramble international event..

+4
super_realist
Skydriver
Doon the Water
mystiroakey
8 posters

Go down

If there was a Texas scramble international event.. Empty If there was a Texas scramble international event..

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:16

England would rule!!

Who could beat a team of

Westy(no.1 ball striker on the planet)
poulter(no.1 match player on the planet-team ethic, clutch and feel is his game)
donald(no.1 short game and putting on th planet)
rose(very good at all atributes- abit of a pretender but has an all round game as good as almost any in the world)

could you think of any better.

obvioulsy a NI team would be decent,however perhaps an all ireland team would be better, as would a yanky team of bubba(length), hunter(consitancy),woods(enigma) and pmick(super short game).

An aussie team might be 4th favs of scott,day,oglivy and take your pick from sneddon or baddely

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

If there was a Texas scramble international event.. Empty Re: If there was a Texas scramble international event..

Post by Doon the Water Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:26

Misti.
Maybe one if them will win The Open this year.

Now remind me, as my memory only goes back for so far , who was the last Englisher to win the Open?

Joking apart I quite fancy Rose to do the job this year.

Back on thread
Woods and Philly in the same team!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

If there was a Texas scramble international event.. Empty Re: If there was a Texas scramble international event..

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:31

thats the problem with the american team and englands biggest strength i feel.

I just know the the english would pull together as a team.

However on there own!!!Our players need abit of support.

If we keep missing these major chances i think one is gonna have to elect faldo as a caddy!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:33

South Africans? On any given day, one of them is likely to be playing off-the-charts well, meaing it wouldn't matter that the others are picking bogeys all day. [Sorry, that metaphor is a bit disgusting]

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:33

You'd never get Woods to get his three drives away safely.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:36

Skydriver wrote:South Africans? On any given day, one of them is likely to be playing off-the-charts well, meaing it wouldn't matter that the others are picking bogeys all day. [Sorry, that metaphor is a bit disgusting]

arrh very good shout- how could i forget the saffas.

however texas scramble is play each shot from best noimated position, not a better ball format

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:40

Good swedish and Danish teams too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 13:42

Isn't it always the case in texas scramble that 3 of you knock it close on one hole, then your best approach is a 30-footer on the next??? Think the Englanders would suffer from this.

My money would be on the Swedes.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 13:44

Tiler76 wrote:Isn't it always the case in texas scramble that 3 of you knock it close on one hole, then your best approach is a 30-footer on the next??? Think the Englanders would suffer from this.

i think your money would be wasted in a big way on both counts. but there you go, you would get some odds on both outcomes. but no i love a scramble had a 19 under round before(yes played with two plus golfers- but we are all english!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 13:49

mystiroakey wrote:
Tiler76 wrote:Isn't it always the case in texas scramble that 3 of you knock it close on one hole, then your best approach is a 30-footer on the next??? Think the Englanders would suffer from this.

i think your money would be wasted in a big way on both counts. but there you go, you would get some odds on both outcomes. but no i love a scramble had a 19 under round before(yes played with two plus golfers- but we are all english!)

Don't get me wrong, I love the format. Been lucky enough to make a lot of money out of it over the years as well due to some very good partners (when you play with 3 guys who are better than you, you often don't need to do very much in a scramble!)

As for wasting my money - that's why I don't bet! Whistle

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 13:52

By the way its national this weekend- surely you must have a flutter on that!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 13:57

I would only curse whichever nag I randomly picked......

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 14:00

lol. well i have cursed all my predos on kwinis thing!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 14:02

If your talking Scrambles my money would be on england or the usa based teams such as:

England:
Weswood
Poulter
Rose
Donald

USA:
Mahan
Bubba
Big Phil
Stricker

I wouldn't have tiger anywhere near a team US. But outside money on a Saffer team of:

Els
Goosen
Charl
King Louis

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 14:11

3 saffas topping the European leaderboard!!

good team and i think that kruger fella could start becoming a regular top50 player as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 14:59

When you play Texas Scramble is there anything that says that you have to take a certain number of drives of all the players? As you do in Greensomes?

What would be the ideal balance forgetting nationality. Obviously you need a couple of bombers but would you then add in a couple of guys who are going to be able to hit most fairways so the others can really have a rip. Or could you play 4 big hitters knowing that one of them has to be able to get something in play!

Can you imagine a US team of Bubba, JB Holmes (not sure he has his length back yet though), Daly and PMick? It would be a long driving contest. I doubt they would be able to play Phil's drive often as I have a feeling that he has an ego thing that means he wants to drive it miles even if it sacrifices accuracy. This would mean that he really needed to give each drive the full treatment which would lead to him needing the full 18 balls in his bag to be sure that he got to the finish (unlike JD in Oz).

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 15:08

Isn't it normally something like a minimum of 3 or 4 drives for a scramble. I've only played in 2 of these competition formats so far and found accuracy over distance along with players with good short games to be more beneficial than distance. But that said with time maybe a bomber into the mix is a good thing

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 15:26

i have onloy ever played in scrambles where everyone can take the shot- so 4 drives on a hole, 4 approaches etc.

However in reality its not allways needed! bvecause you can understand limitaions of players.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:20

Fader wrote:Isn't it normally something like a minimum of 3 or 4 drives for a scramble. I've only played in 2 of these competition formats so far and found accuracy over distance along with players with good short games to be more beneficial than distance. But that said with time maybe a bomber into the mix is a good thing

Its usually 3 drives per player.

A bomber helps as 4 x 3 is only 12 & the bomber can drive the other 6 holes if he is in play... Whistle
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:41

you guys play a different format to me then!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:42

I also assumed that every player takes a shot from each tee / nominated position (hence my point earlier that if one Saffa is on fire, then it can always be his shots that count and doesn't matter if the others are playing like... well, me, for example).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:45

allways played it like that as well sky

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:46

The ones I've played everyone drives off on everyhole then the best tee shot is selected however the stipulations you have to use everyones tee shots at least 3/4 times

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:47

Fader wrote:The ones I've played everyone drives off on everyhole then the best tee shot is selected however the stipulations you have to use everyones tee shots at least 3/4 times

right i get ya, never played with the stipulations

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:49

basically you really dont wanna get in a situation when you have to take someones shot on the last hole..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 16:51

Key to texas scrambles is to get everyones drives out of the way by 12 or 13, leaving the last few holes to go for it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 17:43

I remember playing a greensomes where you had to take 6 of each. I was on fire and my partner was playing appallingly. I arrogantly kept on selecting mine saying that we will have it won by the 12th and we would be good only taking a couple of his up to there.

I was wrong. Taking his drive/shank on the par 3 13th when it was lost in the woods and mine was 6 ft from the hole was the hardest one. Eventually took my last remaining one on the 17th to close out the game having been 5 up....

As you can guess the banter was getting pretty strong!

I think in any game like scramble or greensomes part of the fun is selecting the drives knowing that you have to use some crap.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down