Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel

Go down

Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel Empty Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel

Post by Derbyblue on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

The Philadelphia Eagles agreed to trade cornerback Asante Samuel to the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

As part of the trade, Samuel and the Falcons have agreed to terms on a three-year, $18.5 million deal.

It's not yet known what the Falcons will send the Eagles in return for the nine-year veteran.

Samuel had to rework the final two years of his existing contract -- which were not guaranteed in the first place -- before the deal could be agreed upon. Samuel was set to make $21.5 million over the next two seasons, and he would count for more than $8 million against the salary cap.

The Falcons emerged as one of the team's interested in Samuel on Tuesday, a league source told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, and quarterback Matt Ryan spoke glowingly of the cornerback.

"As far as Asante Samuel, I can only speak for having played against him a number of times and I know that's he's been extremely difficult to play against and has done a great job against us when we've played him in the past," Ryan said.

Samuel, 31, had three interceptions for the Eagles last season. He has made four Pro Bowls in his nine-year career, and was named a first-team All-Pro in 2007.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8289665e/article/samuel-agrees-to-threeyear-185m-deal-as-part-of-falcons-trade?module=HP11_breaking_news

Derbyblue
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel Empty Re: Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel

Post by BamBam on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

I read reports yesterday that the Falcons had offered a 5th, but the Eagles were holding out for more. I'm pretty sure that the Falcons 4th rounder went to the Browns for Julio Jones didn't it? Be interesting to see what pick it actually is.

Good deal for the Falcons, he is better than anyone they could realistically get with say a 5th rounder, especially if he has come fairly cheap. Him and Grimes make a decent corner combo

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel Empty Re: Falcons and Eagles agree to trade involving Asante Samuel

Post by Colan (niner) on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

what about robinson, is he not getting big money, seems a lot to invest in 3 good corners

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

Robinson has turned out to be quite the free-agency bust.

However, The Falcons will probably play most downs with three corners now.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Robinson has turned out to be quite the free-agency bust.

However, The Falcons will probably play most downs with three corners now.
#

Isn't that the same 3 corner situation that Samuel found himself on the wrong side of in Philly Whistle

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm

Completely forgot about Robinson. The trade is for a 7th rounder! Can't believe they let him go for that surely someone would have given more during the draft

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm

bambamwillis wrote:Completely forgot about Robinson. The trade is for a 7th rounder! Can't believe they let him go for that surely someone would have given more during the draft
Wow, the Eagles were desperate! No idea how he's only worth that but a great bargain for the Falcons, Eagles should have held back on the deal until people had missed on CB's in the first 3 rounds then they would see Samuels as the better option maybe then they could have got a 6th.

Derbyblue
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:40 pm

Very good deal for the Falcons IMO
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:50 pm

A few people on Twitter saying that his salary was a big handicap, but still to deal someone who can still be one of the top 20 cornerbacks in the league for what is essentially a throwaway pick is crazy. Especially when you consider that they could easily come up against the Falcons deep into the playoffs. Outside your conference I could understand it but this is a bargain for Atlanta

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:49 pm

Forward Pass wrote:Very good deal for the Falcons IMO

This makes it look like slightly less of a good deal...
You sign somebody with a (previous) cap figure of $10m when your only $1.7m under the cap. Now I know they have restructured his contract but they can't have got rid of masses of the value for this years it since its a three year deal and clearly the axe has got to fall elsewhere to get there draft picks signed.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

If the Eagles needed to trim the wages to get under the cap then it makes sense. He didn't agree with the new philosophy in Philly according to the reports and if there's contracts that need to be renewed and draft players to be paid for then offloading an expensive but expendable squad option is a good way to go.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

They were 2 mill under the cap so it's surprising. They pay their corners the msot in the league and none of them are incredibly good. Grimes is solid but Dunta has been a bit of a flop. They rely on a lot of older players so they are going all out. Best of luck to them but I don't see the point of paying so much for corners when they have other needs.

Saw this posted on another forum, found it interesting, dont agree with all of it but it has some intriguing points.

Quote:
First off: Yes, I am a Carolina fan, so I know that I'm asking to get trolled, flamed, and ignored by posting here. But there's a chance (small, I know) that something intelligent comes of this, so here goes.

After the Asante and Julio trades, it seems to an outsider that the Atlanta front office is freaking out. I was fine with the Julio trade--I saw it as a foward-looking move that guaranteed the Falcons a good passing game for the next decade. The Asante trade puts it in a different light. Right now Atlanta is relying heavily on:

A 33 year old edge rusher with a big contract
A 30 year old defensive tackle with a big contract
A 31 year old corner with a big contract
A 29 year old corner with a franchise tender and a big contract on the way
A 30 year old corner with a big long-term contract
A 36 year old tight end with a big contract
A 30 year old receiver with a big contract
And a 30 year old running back with...wait for it....a big contract.

So there are now three stars (Spoon, Ryan, and Jones) on the entire team under the age of 27, and Atlanta is trading away draft picks at an alarming rate.

So what's the goal here? The executives seem to think that they're a peice away from a title when the team regressed last year, and most of their contributors can only be expected to do the same again this year as they age. Is this a strictly win-now and pray later move, or am I missing something?

Thomond
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum