I may not know about art, but I know what I like.

Go down

I may not know about art, but I know what I like. Empty I may not know about art, but I know what I like.

Post by Il Gialloblu on Fri May 04, 2012 1:03 am

With the news of the only privately owned version of Munch's 'The Scream' selling for 74 million pounds at auction in New York today, I wondered if we could go a little bit high-brow here on V2 and discuss our favourite pieces of art.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17926519

To make things clear from the off, the title of this thread sums me up very well. I don't really know anything about art and you can expect some very layman terms in my descriptions.

Ok, to start us off...

1. Swans Reflecting Elephants by Salvador Dali

Spoiler:
I may not know about art, but I know what I like. 9949070_1

Perhaps Dali is more famous for melting clocks and elephants with long spindly legs, but I've always liked the illusionary effect in this effort. Like every painting of his that I've ever seen though, I've no idea what he was getting at.

2. The Last Judgement by Michaelangelo

Spoiler:
I may not know about art, but I know what I like. Judgment

Spoiler:
I may not know about art, but I know what I like. Last-judgement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Judgment_(Michelangelo)

A few years ago, I went to the Sistine Chapel and was of course looking forward to seeing the ceiling. Once inside however, I couldn't stop looking at this one adorned on one of the walls. Nearly 14 metres high and 12 metres across, the size was unreal. As was the quality of the work. Size, quality and the intense, powerful and graphic depiction of Jesus coming back and sorting everyone out made a big impression on me. Even though I don't really believe in all that.

The Last Judgement is one of the best things I have ever seen with my own eyes. I don't think the pictures I've provided here really do it justice.

As demonstrated in my picks here, I've always preferred paintings to look 'realistic', or as realistic as a painting can. Never really seen the appeal to say the Van Gogh or Monet style. It's just too... splodgy for me.

So, over to you. What do you like?

Try to find a picture of your choices if possible.

And remember, art isn't limited to just paintings and drawings.

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speeling)
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

I may not know about art, but I know what I like. Empty Re: I may not know about art, but I know what I like.

Post by Hero on Fri May 04, 2012 1:56 am

My favourite art pieces are as follows:

1. Tiger in a Tropical Storm (Surprised!) by Henry Rousseau

Spoiler:
I may not know about art, but I know what I like. Surpri10

I don't quite know why I love this painting so much, most critics panned him for having a childish style stroke, it's just one that I've always made a beeline for whenever in the National Gallery.

2. American Gothic by Grant Wood

Spoiler:
I may not know about art, but I know what I like. 499px-10

It's been parodied countless times since but it doesn't stop me really enjoying this piece, for the most part it in fact adds to it, it's become iconic now as a piece of art.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

I may not know about art, but I know what I like. Empty Re: I may not know about art, but I know what I like.

Post by Beer on Fri May 04, 2012 2:03 am

'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' by Helnwein is one of my favourites.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch on Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 am

I don't really know a lot about art, and thinking about it, I find it shocking that I can't think of a single piece that I love. That's pretty uncultured. However, I was captivated by Ai Weiwei's "Sunflower Seeds" when I saw it (at whatever gallery it is at). For some reason it was very moving, even though it's just a ton of porcelain sunflower seeds on the floor. I looked at it for about half an hour from all angles. I wonder of that is the mark of a good piece of art, something that holds your attention, even though you don't know why.

I've also got a painting of a dog playing snooker, which I like, because he's snookered, and it makes me wonder how he got snookered, and who by - was it a human or another dog? And also was it a safety shot, or a play for points. It really makes you question if the dog at the centre of the piece is just the victim of bad luck. Though he has procured a waistcoat, which most dogs don't have, so he might be a generally lucky canine and this a rare occurrence, hence the need for it's capture by an artist.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. on Fri May 04, 2012 4:22 am

It was Terry Griffiths who put him in that snooker.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 4:34 am

Van Gogh I am a big, big fan of. Not just his coloured painting but a lot of his charcoal drawings are just sublime. Whenever I stumble across them, I often wonder why I don't spend more time perusing art.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. on Fri May 04, 2012 4:38 am

I believe most of his paintings were painted in a very short time scale.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Fri May 04, 2012 6:15 am

Monet is most probably my favourite artist.

Also a big fan of Van Gogh - have you all seen the Dr Who episode with Van Gogh? Story was poor but the visualisation of it was incredible.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero on Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 am

I studied Monet at College and is probably my favourite artist too, excellent collection of his work in the National Gallery

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 on Sat May 05, 2012 2:54 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I often wonder why I don't spend more time perusing art.
I'm the same dreamer. I stumble upon works of art which I find intriguing but never think to delve deeper.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis on Thu May 10, 2012 5:44 am

'Persistance of time' by Dali for me... he's the reason surrealism is my favourite type of art. So unique:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YCvYRjuc8Oc/TzllDDqrSyI/AAAAAAAAA0M/3z6qzwDv4fE/s1600/persistence2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://whybuyart.blogspot.com/2012/02/salvador-dali-surrealism-art-dalinian.html&h=562&w=771&sz=56&tbnid=QXidzXpJ-RZe6M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=135&zoom=1&docid=xeWWWXUUMzwUlM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0LqqT9SxDsW-8APtrND4BA&sqi=2&ved=0CKgBEPUBMAM&dur=174

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu on Tue May 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Changing tack slightly, as art is of course not only pictures, I would like to present my next offering.

Peter the Great.

Spoiler:
I may not know about art, but I know what I like. 661

wiki

Standing at 94 metres, many Muscovites hate it for its ugliness and the way it competes with the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour (also seen in the picture) for dominance of the skyline of that part of Moscow. And why would they want a monument to a man who disliked Moscow so much he moved the capital to St. Petersburg?

Stories abound also that it was originally meant to be Christopher Columbus and was touted around America, where nobody wanted to buy it. After changing the head, which left the body in Columbus' clothes and on one of Columbus' ships, it ended up on an island in the Moskva river.

In November 2008, it was voted the tenth ugliest building in the world by Virtual Tourist.

So why do I like it so much?

Well, after seeing it for myself a few years ago, I was just impressed by the sheer ridiculousness. I actually liked the way it was so bloody ugly and out of place. For me, art doesn't have to be beautiful. It has to be striking and it has to make an effect on me and my feelings. I would imagine that to be true of most people.

I think that sometimes, something that just shouldn't work can do this far more effectively than something that is 'perfect'.

Peter the Great certainly did that for me.

I know it's terrible... but I really like it.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum