The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC?

+11
88Chris05
Trebs
Kenny
EdWoodjr
gboycottnut
eirebilly
Dave.
The Special Juan
Liam
CaledonianCraig
bretmeharty
15 posters

Go down

Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC? Empty Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC?

Post by bretmeharty Thu 03 May 2012, 7:09 pm

I must admit I cant say for definite who I prefer.

If I had to say 2 id go for Wille and Steve Davis.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC? Empty Re: Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC?

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 03 May 2012, 7:27 pm

I like Steve Davis and yes John Virgo - love his dry sense of humour.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC? Empty Re: Who is your fav commentary duo/combination on the BBC?

Post by Liam Thu 03 May 2012, 7:29 pm

john virgo for his reaction to the big moments. Willie Thorne for his easy to listen to tone of voice and his excellent knowledge of the game. Those two together is perfect for me.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 03 May 2012, 7:29 pm

Dennis + Virgo or Dennis + Willie but to be fair I like them all (except Clive but thankfully he's gone). Terry's voice bores me but he knows his stuff.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Thu 03 May 2012, 7:30 pm

Terry Griffiths.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 03 May 2012, 8:55 pm

I would love Clive Everton and Hendry together OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 03 May 2012, 9:02 pm

Hendry shows a lot of promise - hmmm I remember saying that when he burst on the scene in the mid-1980's.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 03 May 2012, 9:58 pm

Jack Karenham and Clive Everton or Jack Karenham and Ted Lowe. I remember Jack Karenham calling Jimmy White the Rolls Royce of Snooker during the 1992 World Championship.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Fri 04 May 2012, 5:24 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I like Steve Davis and yes John Virgo - love his dry sense of humour.

Mr Virgo has definitely mellowed in his old age and a dry sense of humour has surfaced. Terry Griffiths is enjoyable as well. Over on Eurosport, Mike Smith is good value. Shame about his sidekick, Mike 'good shot' Hallett, a bloke who has perfected the art of stating the blinding obvious. However the worst snooker commentator ever, by several light years, has to be Mark Wildman who used to do The Premier League on Eurosport. Poor Mark would often struggle to complete a sentence without correcting a mistake he'd just utterred. Shambolic to say the least.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Fri 04 May 2012, 5:31 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I like Steve Davis and yes John Virgo - love his dry sense of humour.

Mr Virgo has definitely mellowed in his old age and a dry sense of humour has surfaced. Terry Griffiths is enjoyable as well. Over on Eurosport, Mike Smith is good value. Shame about his sidekick, Mike 'good shot' Hallett, a bloke who has perfected the art of stating the blinding obvious. However the worst snooker commentator ever, by several light years, has to be Mark Wildman who used to do The Premier League on Eurosport. Poor Mark would often struggle to complete a sentence without correcting a mistake he'd just utterred. Shambolic to say the least.

On the subject on who's bad, Id say Joe Johnson on Eurosport, he May be an ex pro but god awful in my opinion

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 04 May 2012, 5:36 pm

On Dutch Eurosport we have people who are former billards players and have no idea about snooker.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Fri 04 May 2012, 5:59 pm

eirebilly wrote:On Dutch Eurosport we have people who are former billards players and have no idea about snooker.

I would be watching it with no sound Laugh

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 04 May 2012, 7:03 pm

Its awefull bret Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 04 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Does anyone remember the commentators on ITV's coverage of snooker during the 1980's, and if so who were they exactly. I can only remember John Pulman but I can't remember who else commentated for ITV.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 04 May 2012, 9:03 pm

I am sure one of them was also Ray Edmunds.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Fri 04 May 2012, 9:23 pm

gboycottnut wrote:Does anyone remember the commentators on ITV's coverage of snooker during the 1980's, and if so who were they exactly. I can only remember John Pulman but I can't remember who else commentated for ITV.

Jim Meadowcroft

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 04 May 2012, 9:35 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:Does anyone remember the commentators on ITV's coverage of snooker during the 1980's, and if so who were they exactly. I can only remember John Pulman but I can't remember who else commentated for ITV.

Jim Meadowcroft

Good call Ed, he was class OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Fri 04 May 2012, 10:03 pm

eirebilly wrote:
EdWoodjr wrote:

Jim Meadowcroft

Good call Ed, he was class OK

I seem to remember Jim Wych as well ( There's been some high quality snucker )

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 04 May 2012, 10:18 pm

Snooker truely was great to follow in the 1980's. Not only were there tremendous characters who played the game like Alex Higgins, Ray Reardon etc but there was Snooker coverage on TV either on the BBC or on ITV more frequently unlike is the case now even with Sky, Cable.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 May 2012, 11:38 pm

Davis and Virgo for me , Willie just annoys me when he calls players for taking shots he wouldn't play . To be honest i dont mind any of the commentary team , looking forawrd to Hendry being more involved now aswell
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Virgo drives me mad, he used to be quite funny but now he trys too hard to be funny and its painfull to listen to.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Sun 06 May 2012, 12:52 pm

Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis OK

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 09 May 2012, 7:08 pm

Thorne and Virgo, for me. A real chemistry there and Thorne's knowledge and understanding of the game is absolutely exceptional. I think he's the most fascinating commentator to listen to, personally.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Wed 09 May 2012, 8:50 pm

Anyone else think the BBC missed a trick by not having Virgo commentating on the last session of the final (or was he there? Can't quite remember!)? It wasn't the same without his famous 'where's the cueball going?'!

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 10:51 am

I am not. I have gotton rather tired of hearing that to be honest. He used to only use it when cue ball was close, now he over does it to the point where i simply cant stand him commentating.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu 10 May 2012, 4:52 pm

Yeah, good point that. Do sometimes feel like saying 'not in the pocket, Johnny, not this time!'

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 6:00 pm

I must be a 'Virgo hater' as well Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Thu 17 May 2012, 3:55 pm

virgo and hendry
dennis and willie

favourites from the past would be the following
ted lowe and john spencer
jack karnehm and eddie charlton

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Thu 17 May 2012, 3:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Thorne and Virgo, for me. A real chemistry there and Thorne's knowledge and understanding of the game is absolutely exceptional. I think he's the most fascinating commentator to listen to, personally.

willie explains things really well and is very accurate in terms of predicting whats going to happen 2/3 shots ahead.

i still think clive everton was really good as well, i remember clive and willie commentating on the 99 WC semi between hendry and ROS and the combination seemed to be a really good one

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri 18 May 2012, 12:13 am

Stephen Hendry is the best commentator I have heard in years. He is light years ahead of the rest with the exception of Clive Everton, (who they fired off) and possibly Steve Davis and John Parrott. Clive and Hendry would be the best duo. They talk sense, they talk technical, and they know how and when to do it.

Willie is a negative know-all, Taylor isn't as bad but it is the same old asinine comments, same goes for Virgo (as much as I like him). Those 3 really irritate me with the same old comments and don't get me started on the golf.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 9:22 am

The thing about Virgo, Taylor and Thorne is that they were once funny but they havent changed. Its the same old jokes and stories. The commentary from them is based purely on getting reactions from the crowd and getting a laugh which i think can be disrupting for the players at times.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri 18 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Yeah, I forgot about that. I wanted to punch Virgo's lights right out the other day... as the camera panned and Ronnie was in a crucial frame (well, they all are!), he did the Indiana Jones theme.

I am not joking.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 18 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Someone made a joke when Matchu Stevens was on his backswing. Was so annoyed.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri 18 May 2012, 4:46 pm

Matchu Laugh

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Wed 23 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Virgo (where's the cue ball going?!) and Thorne are my favorite

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down