The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship?

+3
eirebilly
as1079
Hibbz
7 posters

Go down

Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship? Empty Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship?

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 May 2012, 4:02 pm

After the success of the "who do you think will win this year's.........I thought we could start this one early!

I've no idea how to do one of those poll thingamagigs but I guess there are too many candidates anyway.

So what do people think? Will the Rocket come back after his break refreshed or will he disappear off to an island never to be seen again. Will the usual suspects be in with a chance or will the likes of Higgins and Williams join Hendry in retirement?

Can Selby or Robbo come back stronger? Can Maguire or Ding turn promise into success? Or will Trump blast them all into submission?

Will Luca Brecel begin an unrivalled run of success or can the grinder twins Carter and Ebdon combine for success?

Alternatively will one of the Chinese wunderkinds take the trophy back to the orient?

The current odds as per Paddy Power are on the link below

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/snooker/world-championship?ev_oc_grp_ids=46788

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship? Empty Re: Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship?

Post by as1079 Tue 08 May 2012, 4:12 pm

Mark Selby will surely win one sooner rather than later.
Ding will surely win one sooner rather than later.
Judd Trump will surely win one sooner rather than later.
Stephen Maguire will surely win one sooner rather than later.
Ali Carter will surely win one sooner rather than later.

And then there's Higgins, Williams, Robbo, Murphy and, of course, Ronnie.

I can't call it now and probably won't be able to call it on the eve of the Championship, there are just so many players who you can make a strong case for. Whether that is down to a massive strength in depth or a lack of four or five truly stand-out players (probably the former), it is certainly difficult to call.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship? Empty Re: Who do you think will win next year's World Snooker Championship?

Post by eirebilly Tue 08 May 2012, 4:23 pm

Like this year, i feel that next year will be open for a few candidates. To early to say now but there are several names that immediately spring to mind Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 May 2012, 4:54 pm

I seriously can't see Higgins or Williams carrying on much longer. I reckon they've probably enough money and if not can make enough from exhibitions etc. Unless they're certain they've a chance to compete then why would they travel the world being knocked out in the first round. The hunger just won't be there.

Selby I worry about because he looked seriously bad and with an unorthodox cue action such as his I can see a slight drop in natural skill leading to a large drop in playing ability.

Hearn really does seem to be designing the tour with the Chinese market in mind which is perfectly understandable from a business point of view but will make the game even less popular over here. Not his problem though is it?

Anyway it's up to us to learn more about the Chinese boys and enjoy their different styles and personalities.

I reckon Judd still looks hungry for success though and was just knocked a bit by being unwell and therefore tired.

I'll go for him to win next year. Might have a bet now as I reckon his odds will be a lot shorter by next year.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 08 May 2012, 5:40 pm

No idea. I can't see Ding winning it.

Big Robbo or Selby for me Whistle
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 08 May 2012, 5:44 pm

To be honest, we don't know. I can't even make a proper guess
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 08 May 2012, 5:56 pm

Ding struggles in the 2 table format, he has only made the semi's once.

I remember some posters saying Higgins was finished after his loss to Steve Davis in 2010 WC and he was hugely improved for 2011. So you can't say he's finished yet.

Mark Allen and Selby are dangerous, there was good excuses for their losses.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 08 May 2012, 7:59 pm

Mark Selby
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 May 2012, 8:05 pm

I'd forgotten about Allen as it goes. He's probably still keen but if there are going to be several tournaments in China that keeness may not last.

Murphy and Lee will still be hungry too.................

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 08 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Hibbz wrote:I'd forgotten about Allen as it goes. He's probably still keen but if there are going to be several tournaments in China that keeness may not last.

Murphy and Lee will still be hungry too.................

As always ....................but Stevens showed he had discovered a hunger at the Worlds
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 May 2012, 11:24 am

I really rated Allen as someone who was nailed on for a World titel. I am not so sure anymore. An excellent play but i have lingering doubts as to whether he is able to stay focused and calm long enough to win the Worlds.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 09 May 2012, 12:09 pm

I have him down to undoubtedly win either a Masters or UK or both. He says he prefers the long format and whilst he might play his best, mentally I'm with you in that until he calms down from being a hothead he may well end up not winning it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 09 May 2012, 12:44 pm

Would Barry Hearn consider getting rid of Allen from the tour if he doesn't calm himself down ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 09 May 2012, 12:49 pm

No, would he consider getting rid of Paul Nicholson from darts? The casual snooker fans need someone to boo.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 09 May 2012, 12:57 pm

TSC wrote:No, would he consider getting rid of Paul Nicholson from darts? The casual snooker fans need someone to boo.

I think the difference is Nicholson doesn't say things that could jeopardize Darts , Allen has said somethings that seem to upset countrys and tournament sponsers
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 09 May 2012, 1:02 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:
TSC wrote:No, would he consider getting rid of Paul Nicholson from darts? The casual snooker fans need someone to boo.

I think the difference is Nicholson doesn't say things that could jeopardize Darts , Allen has said somethings that seem to upset countrys and tournament sponsers

Yeah I was thinking that halfway through I was typing it. We will see, I think Barry will have a word with him and we'll see what happens from there.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 09 May 2012, 1:09 pm

I like Allen he has a lot of talent , but it seems not so much common sense .
Does Snooker need a bad boy ? All it does it heap more pressure on to him , i dont think he needs the added boo's .

Nicholson in Darts is a prime example of to much talking not enough playing , his form has dipped so much this season .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 May 2012, 1:15 pm

Mr Hearn said that alothough he doesnt think his things through, he likes that Allen causes problems as it brings media attention to the game.

I doubt that Mr Hearn would remove Allen.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 10 May 2012, 12:18 am

That may change if the media attention starts casting snooker in a bad image though
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 10 May 2012, 7:48 am

gotto go with ronnie really

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 10:54 am

Not so sure Kenny. I doubt that he will ever get as bad as Ronnie and Alex Higgins ever were.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 10 May 2012, 11:59 am

True but he isn't as good as they were so snooker doesn't need him as much
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 12:35 pm

Yeah thats true but he is good enough and is a big enough name in the game Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 10 May 2012, 12:40 pm

You could be right my friend Very Happy i just wondered what everyone thought Barry would do .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 12:44 pm

My main concern was that he would start changing the setups of the tournements. I really didnt want any of the big 3 to be messed with. Looks like its inevitable now though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 10 May 2012, 1:07 pm

Barry bugs me. I'd love to punch him. Not because of anything he's doing to snooker, just because when he's on TV he bugs me.

If Ronnie's taking 6 months off then he will win the tournament. Everyone else will be dead on their feet by that time next year.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 2:46 pm

I think that he is a likeable chap myself but i can see why he would be disliked.
It will be interesting to see How Ronnie goes after a 6 month break and i think that it will be good for him but i dont want to see him win another World Championships, dont want him getting close to Hendry OK
Whoops, that will probably be seen as Ronnie hating Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 10 May 2012, 2:56 pm

He's a geezer and I don't like geezers Laugh

Oh yeah, that's Ronnie hating!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 2:59 pm

Do you think that Carter will ever go so far again? I am doubting it myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 10 May 2012, 3:06 pm

I hope he does; I like him. To me, his gameplan worked really well v Mags but didn't work at all against his opponent in the final so if he changes it a bit there's no reason why he can't get back to the final again.

What helped him though is that he didn't play as many matches as nearly everyone else so if he does that again he should do well. Sad to think that nowadays, playing too many snooker matches is bad compared to the old 6 tournament format.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 3:10 pm

I thought that as well during the match TSC, his gameplan worked well against others but Ronnie is too good a player to play that gameplan against (did i redeem some Ronnie hate there?).
I feel that if he played his more natural attacking gameplan that he may have put Ronnie under some more pressure.

Time will tell how much snooker will affect the players but it was pretty clear that those that had played less were more comfortable.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 10 May 2012, 3:27 pm

Na, you're still at the level of "ExtremeRonnieHater". He seemed to get bored of his grinding game before Ronnie did. Even a mix of both would have been better.

Exactly, half of them looked like they could barely stand up. Higgins looked dead on his feet.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 3:39 pm

If that makes me an extreme Ronnie hater then i am also an extreme everyotherplayer hater except for Higgins and Hendry Very Happy

It will make it very difficult and ranking points will be crucial for the top players.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 10 May 2012, 10:48 pm

John heart

Ranking points are more important this season than ever before (until they are replace by a money list).

I think Higgins could be on a slippery slope just now. He has so many ranking points to defend this season from the UK, Welsh and WC 2 seasons ago.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down