The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day

+20
Gordy
lfc91
Liam
Mr H
Fernando
Stella
Kenny
TopHat24/7
GSC
Hero
Tranquil Chaos
dummy_half
dublfcynwa
dondelero
sirfredperry
hampo17
Crimey
lorus59
Josiah Maiestas
BeachBoy2012
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day - Page 2 Empty For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day

Post by BeachBoy2012 Mon 14 May 2012, 12:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Driving home from the Liberty Stadium today I felt bereaved. I watched Liverpool tread water for much of the 90 minutes against Swansea, and then saw the last twitch of shattered legs, as the team drowned. A 1-0 defeat. But then I looked all around me and saw Liverpool fans celebrating the news that Man Utd lost the title on goal difference. The winners of the 70's and 80's would have been perplexed and disgusted. I was perplexed and saddened. What has this club become I thought to myself?

And then it was there in front of me on my phone. A sad, mid table team that celebrated the minor heartache of Man Utd, a former rival as it now appears.

This was a club that has always had pride and heart and fight. Instead, that confused Dalglish, a shadow of himself, is the personification of the sad demise. Today was the last day of the season. Today was the day Manchester City won the title and QPR survived. Today was the day Everton finished above Liverpool. But today was also the day, that was the final confirmation, that liverpool are now irrelevant.

BeachBoy2012

Back to top Go down

For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day - Page 2 Empty Re: For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day

Post by Gordy Tue 15 May 2012, 5:01 pm

I think it is a good point that Daglish is getting it easy due to his connections to the club. If this season had been overseen by Hodgson for example, would fans be as forgiving or patient? I suspect they would not and the manager would be under pressure (winning the league cup would might have saved him though).

Realistically where do people think Liverpool will finish under Daglish next season? He has already invested reasonable sums of money in the squad but considering how David Moyes has done with their rivals for example on a lower investment then will Daglish be under the spotlight more next year? How tough would it be to sack him given his connection with the club?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day - Page 2 Empty Re: For Liverpool Fans Today Was A Sad Day

Post by Crimey Tue 15 May 2012, 5:02 pm

Jono Shelvey awful?! He's been one of the best things about this season, he's really coming of age and looks one of the most assured of players on the pitch. Like a more disciplined Steven Gerrard.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:03 pm

Crimey i know its hard to convey sarcasm over 606v2, so i have to ask was that sarcasm?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:05 pm

Would be tougher than your average manager gordy, but no one man is bigger than the club.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 15 May 2012, 5:07 pm

lfc91 wrote:Crimey i know its hard to convey sarcasm over 606v2, so i have to ask was that sarcasm?

No, it wasn't sarcasm. Jono Shelvey has been really good, and I don't see what your problem with him was. For a player of 20 who is only just breaking into the first team he looked really good, assured on the ball, can pass, can shoot and didn't look out of place. He's not quite as explosive as Steven Gerrard, but looks like he'll be better at being able to sit back in the midfield.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:11 pm

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one! Although maybe thats part of my problem, the fact he was a regular in the first team i hold him to first team standards, and he is not good enough to be there! Have to hand it to him though, good goal against chelsea.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2012, 5:15 pm

Rafa Benitez is the 2/1 Fav with William Hills.

The comedy is writing itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 15 May 2012, 5:19 pm

He had a very good spell at Blackpool before he was brought back, and I think you have to look at him in the context of his age and experience.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 15 May 2012, 5:21 pm

FreekShow wrote:Rafa Benitez is the 2/1 Fav with William Hills.

The comedy is writing itself.

On the OurKop website, they asked whether they'd rather have Benitez or Martinez as manager.

1,279 people have voted and it's 91% in favour of Benitez returning.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:23 pm

Only time will tell on him i suppose, and i would rather have him playing CM than henderson.(you may have guessed by now that i have real issues with henderson).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Hard one, one the one hand he did consistantly have us finishing in the top 4(bar his last season), coupled with good runs in europe. On the other hand he built the squad that was left for hodgson, which lacked depth for the amount of money spent.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2012, 5:28 pm

Well I'm with the 9 per cent. Funny how not one club has even looked at him after the Inter Milan debacle where he managed to turn the then European champions into a complete car-wreck.

Too much nostalgia involved when it comes to Benitez. 7 years on and he's still living off that fortuitous CL success. Granted he came close in 08/09 but his mid season team tampering that season - which culminated in stupid draws - cost us dear.

I'd be absolutely stunned if he's reappointed but this is football and anything can happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 15 May 2012, 5:32 pm

Its hard to say where to go from here. I don't know how much is left to spend, and I'm guessing there isn't too much resale value left.

Martinez might view it as another job where the expectations just don't line up with the ability in the squad, and the resources available to improve it. Like when he turned down Villa.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 15 May 2012, 5:51 pm

I'm a Celtic fan with a soft spot for Liverpool. I can't believe Martinez is being talked about for this job. Fair play Wigan play decent football but they stayed up and only just for most of the season they looked doomed. Dave Whelan seems to think he has the next Pep Guardiola but I fail to see any evidence of that.

They can't bring Benitiez back since that Champions League final he has flirted with success but got no action. It's a perfect job for Martin O'Neill. There are a lot of similarities to Liverpool just now and the Celtic team he took over in 2000.

We were a distance behind our biggest rivals, we had cash to spend and a few decent players but we were a big club who had barely any success in over a decade. O'Neill knows how to get players playing for him and he makes more good signings than he does bad ones.

King Kenny was never the answer. It was a nice thought but should have been no more than that. They should have kept Hodgson and they would be looking for a new manager in a much stronger position. If Roy had been given the sort of funds Kenny has had I think Liverpool would be playing Champions League football next year.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 16 May 2012, 8:04 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
If Roy had been given the sort of funds Kenny has had I think Liverpool would be playing Champions League football next year.

Stupid quote of the day goes to!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 May 2012, 9:34 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
If Roy had been given the sort of funds Kenny has had I think Liverpool would be playing Champions League football next year.

Who?

Hodgson was given no money or or time, Kenny was given both and did worse.

Not saying Champions League is realistic but top 5/6 is.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 16 May 2012, 9:41 am

Not really mate think about it Newcastle almost did it. Kenny was given money and time and all he achieved was a mickey mouse trophy and Liverpools worst league finish and points total in 20 odd years. Hodgson was given little money and no time.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 16 May 2012, 12:35 pm

I'd be embarrassed to win a carling cup, finishing 17th is better than the tin cup!

Look how small it is it fits like a ring!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 16 May 2012, 12:39 pm

Josiah you clearly have no idea, winning the carling cup is far bigger than finishing 17th.

As for Rafa I'd welcome him back to Liverpool, always a source of amusement

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 16 May 2012, 12:44 pm

Not really mate think about it Newcastle almost did it. Kenny was given money and time and all he achieved was a mickey mouse trophy and Liverpools worst league finish and points total in 20 odd years. Hodgson was given little money and no time.

+1 if kenny wanst kenny hed be out by now
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 16 May 2012, 4:19 pm

Kenny has left Liverpool as Manager

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 4:23 pm

Sad day ............but we start again
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 May 2012, 4:25 pm

Acted like a prat at times this season, if I'm being honest.

Who now?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 4:28 pm

They will appoint Benitez, but it will be a mistake.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 4:32 pm

He was and will always be my favourite player ,and like was said by others his appointment was really a pr thing by the new owners to keep the fans happy and lets be honest most wanted Kenny as manager , but i agree his handling of the media has been bad at times last season .
Its a shame it hasn't worked out
Kenny = Legend YNWA
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2