The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

+25
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
Diggers
McLaren
Humpyd
1GrumpyGolfer
dynamark
super_realist
Fader
Slowride
mystiroakey
Shotrock
GPB
twoeightnine
jimbohammers
Eyetoldyouso
kwinigolfer
robopz
Caito
Skydriver
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Doon the Water
Lairdy
princedracula
29 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship - Page 3 Empty European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

Post by princedracula Thu 24 May 2012 - 9:21

First topic message reminder :

It's Wentworth time again! And thank goodness the weather is great this week, for a change... According to the course keepers it's been probably the most challenging buildup they ever had for this event, with one of the warmest March on record, followed by the wettest April on record and followed by a very cold and wet first half of May. Not exactly what Els&Co. would've hoped for, as they'll be trying desperately to make some of that loud criticism of the course changes heard over the last couple of years a thing of the past... All eyes will be once again on those approach shots to the 18th (especially Lee's), but according to Ernie that particular problem has been resolved by some simple changes to the fringe rough and that should make it less likely for the ball to spin back into the water. And talking of rough and Westwood, I haven't seen it myself, but I read reports that Westy has been growing some rough of his own lately, sporting now apparently a beard Shocked , hopefully that'll bring him more luck this year if he decides to keep it. Lee has been much more diplomatic this year in his statements about the course changes and what happened last year in that play-off, but he couldn't stop saying that the greens are some of the slowest he's seen all year...

The Lee-Luke battle for #1 stole the show last year and that should be again a talking point this year as Luke will once again be trying to capture the #1 spot, only this time from McIlroy. Coetzee and the former surprise winner from two years ago, Simon Khan, are having a good start this morning. It's always disappointing to see top European Tour players like Garcia and Oosthuisen missing from the starting line up of the tour's flagship event, but there is undoubtedly plenty of strength and depth in there to make us hope for another enthralling Wentworth week!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 May 2012 - 17:34

well done lukey!

brilliant golf from him

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

Post by GPB Sun 27 May 2012 - 17:38

Hanson and Kaymer are looking more and more vulnerable of falling out of the Top 10 of the RC team.

Rose and Lawrie have passed them in the Euro list and Lawrie is going to pass Kaymer in the World Points list.

Funny with a win, Donald is still not qualified via the Euro list although with over 300 pts he has clinched a spot via the World Point list. Luke moves up to 6th.

It was great weather at Wentworth this week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 27 May 2012 - 18:11

Does anyone else think that they have ruined Wentworth?

Shaig Logan MBE used to say '6 months after making any alterations to a golf course it must look like it has been there 100 years.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 May 2012 - 18:15

When/if i play it with the alterations i will let you know.,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 27 May 2012 - 18:28

Still don't like the water hazards at the 8th and 18th and the entire 18th "green complex", but otherwise thought it looked great this week. Fabulous weather, super crowds and some wonderful golf, much of it Sunday from Paul Lawrie.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 27 May 2012 - 19:24

For years it has puzzled me who Donald reminds me of and it finally hit me.
He swings/ looks just like Ronnie Shade during his Pro years.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 28 May 2012 - 7:55

Good win for Roger Chapman at the US Seniors.
Sandy Lyle finished 3rd.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 28 May 2012 - 9:30

Awesome from Donald over the last few days. Never looked like giving anyone a look-in yesterday and a brilliant four days. All rounds in the 60s (inc. the 69 on Saturday when the field average was almost 76) is pretty impressive stuff on what appears now to be a tough track.

How good does Paul Lawrie look like he's swinging it at the moment btw?? Always thought he had an excellent swing but he's obviously eaten something that agreed with him over the recent past as his game is going bonkers. Still bombs it plenty far as well so if he keeps believing in his game he could have a great finish to his career.

Doon

I don't think they're ruined it. Think it's a more appropriate challenge for the Tour's flagship event now as well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012 - 9:54

Paul lawrie is trying to dispell the myth that he is the worst ever major winner- and he is almost succeding Smile

Rose has had a brilliant year as well. He just keeps ticking along and i think his inconsitant years could be behind him- I am quite positive that he will join the two english of donald and westy as solid top 10 players, rather than the poulter or casey mould

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 28 May 2012 - 10:02

Doon Yes is the answer.
Maybe the greens needed replacing(and they didnt look that good over the weekend)and a bit of work on bunkers but the rest is vandalism IMO.
Having to move the tees forward on 17 and 18 to give the guys a chance to score was crazy.Enjoyed watching as always but can imagine the talk behind the scenes.
Word of praise for Paul Streeter one of the regional qualifiers ,best part of 50k euro by far the best cheque of his career.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 28 May 2012 - 11:27

The next time Peter & Paul are so close at the top (especially if they are playing together), I'd suggest that one of them wears red and the other yellow.

Hence distinguishing the Lawries.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 28 May 2012 - 13:54

Misti.

When folk talk about Lawrie's Carnoustie win in a critical way the seem to forget [or probably never knew] that he finished fourth a few years prior to his win.

I told you he really wants to stuff DL3 in the Ryder Cup.
If I was Olly I would play him No1 in the singles.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 28 May 2012 - 14:06

Doon,
The American "guest" commentator on our Golf Channel coverage made a snarky comment about Lawrie's Open triumph yesterday; you'll be glad to know Dougie Donnelly shut him up with the comment that "nobody played better for the final 22 holes, that's for sure".

What people tend to forget is that Craig Parry "lost" that Open well before VDV. Lawrie played outstandingly when given the chance and more power to him.

Good point about DLIII!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 28 May 2012 - 14:25

will he bother turning up to the ryder cup if its on in the US? Very Happy

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012 - 14:41

Doon the Water wrote:Misti.

When folk talk about Lawrie's Carnoustie win in a critical way the seem to forget [or probably never knew] that he finished fourth a few years prior to his win.

I told you he really wants to stuff DL3 in the Ryder Cup.
If I was Olly I would play him No1 in the singles.

I would put money on me forgetting that he finished 4th. My brain forgets to much these days, but i think i have watched every open since i was a kid.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 15:41

Any updates on the Walton Heath US Open Qualifier? Live Scoring?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 15:52

Although no one played themselves into the Ryder Cup 10 qualifiers that was quite a lot of movement within the top 10

Hanson went from Second to 5th in the RC Euro list. and despite passing Hanson, Kaymer fell from third to 4th as Rose and Lawrie passed.

And despite the win, Luke is still two hundred thousand from the top 5 in Euro list

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Mon 28 May 2012 - 15:59

GPB, all I've found so far is this story.

Golf: Peter Lawrie continued his good form from Wentworth during the first round of qualifying for the US Open at Walton Heath today as he opened up with a five-under 67 on the New Course.

That left the Dubliner in a tie for fifth place going into the second and final round this afternoon and in line for one of the 11 spots on offer at the Olympic Club in San Francisco next month.

Four players bettered his score on the New Course, with Korea’s Sihwan Kim, Spain’s Pablo Larrazabal, George Coetzee of South Africa and Finland’s Mikko Ilonen all shooting 66.

Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal is alongside Lawrie on five under, with six players having shot 67. Gareth Maybin (72) and Gary Murphy (73) were also in action on the New Course but have their work cut out this afternoon.

Sweden’s Alexander Noren and Gregory Bourdy of France both carded five-under 67s on the Old Course, with Colin Montgomerie a shot further back. Shane Lowry shot as level-par 72.

Montgomerie gave himself the chance to qualify for another Major after an amazing 900-mile drive to fetch a new putter.

After slumping to a closing 81 yesterday in the BMW PGA Championship, for his worst-ever score at Wentworth, Montgomerie headed home to Scotland and then came back down to Surrey for the 36-hole qualifier.

After his opening round the former Ryder Cup captain was asked to confirm the mind-boggling story.

“Who in their right mind would do that? But yes, I did,” said Montgomerie. “I left Wentworth at 2pm, was home at 8pm, had tea with the family, left at 11pm and got here just after 6am.

“Last week was very disappointing. I putted like an idiot and played like one too.”

One Irish player who will not tee in up in San Francisco is British Open champion Darren Clarke after he pulled out of the event because of a troublesome groin injury in a bid to be fit for the defence of his British Open title in July.

“I am extremely disappointed that I will be unable to play in the US Open, but I have to make sure I am 100 percent ready for the British Open at Royal Lytham in July and to do that I've been advised not to play for a month,” said the 43-year-old in a statement. Clarke has also had to pull out of the Nordea Masters in Stockholm.

He was first troubled by his groin during last month’s Houston Open and it was again a problem at Wentworth, where he missed the cut.

“I haven’t been able to get through the ball properly and I don’t want to take any chances,” he added.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/golf/2012/0528/1224316841066.html

Can't locate any live updates though.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 28 May 2012 - 16:20

EmmDee, the results after 1st round are here:

http://www.waltonheath.com/Content/1stRoundScores.pdf

No word yet about any 2nd round results, but the last group was due to start just after 3pm, so it'll be a while until they all finish...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 16:27

What Monty did was CRAZY! Couldn't he get someone to drive it down? or meet him halfway! and play a thirty six hole qualifier?

And then still shoot 68? in Round 1.

I hope he gets in, it will one of the stories of the year!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Mon 28 May 2012 - 16:30

Can't imagine Monty would have driven. He'd be in the back of the big car purring away like a big fat cat whilst someone drove the car. I'd be surprised if I was wrong.

Cheers PD, I've spent a lot of time at work looking for them. The Walton Heath website only had tee times on it last time I checked.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:02

My wife's company work with Yonex including when Monty was with them. The guy who managed their account said that Monty frequently drove down from Scotland overnight. Apparently he really enjoyed it as it was one of the few times that he got completely on his own with no one wanting anything from him.

Wouldn't do it myself but he gets free Lexuses (Lexi?) which, while they may not be the most exciting cars for a trash, they must be perfect for that.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:13

Nice to see Ollie trying to qualify and having a good first round. Since he is trying to play , I can't imagine Paul Lawrie getting a benefit of a doubt if he happens to be looking for a Captains pick.

Medinah is a stereo typical US Open course.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:14

Emdee

Monty really loves driving.....it's his way of chilling out.
Not the first time he has done this sort of thing.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:18

Lexi. reminds me of alan partridge

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:32

GPB wrote:Nice to see Ollie trying to qualify and having a good first round. Since he is trying to play , I can't imagine Paul Lawrie getting a benefit of a doubt if he happens to be looking for a Captains pick.

Medinah is a stereo typical US Open course.

Is it? I thought itt was used 2006pga?
Even so, I don't understand lawrie's decision - if he's so keen to make Ryder cup them surely he'd realise that a strong finish there almost guarantees a place?

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:37

Doon, if that's true then he'd have been awake from his Sunday morning tee time at Wentworth until tonight, having driven 900 miles and played 54 holes of golf.

Hopefully he's not using anything to keep him awake for all that time other than strong coffee.....

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:38

i am sure he would have had something to help him sleep in his big comfy car- whilst his driver drives him aboot

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 17:51

LastDamnation wrote:

Is it? I thought itt was used 2006pga?
Even so, I don't understand lawrie's decision - if he's so keen to make Ryder cup them surely he'd realise that a strong finish there almost guarantees a place?

Medinah used to be in the US Open rotation. 1975 and 1990 it hosted the US Open.

I think Medinah got a little ticked when the USGA went to another Chicago course in 2003 when the US Open went to Olympia Fields so Medinah got in bed with the PGA of America.

Medinah is a fits the US Open blueprint of courses like Oakmont, Baltusol, Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, Winged Foot and Olympic. Think Judge Smails, Ultra elite and ultra private and snobbish.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 28 May 2012 - 18:26

I think Lawrie has made a good decision. He has his head screwed on and knows what courses and events suit his game.
Would not mind a wee bet on the first three at Wentworth being the first three at Lytham.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 28 May 2012 - 19:29

Alex Noren, Marc Warren, Lee Slattery, Soren Kjeldsen, George Coetzee, Gregory Bourdy, Mikko Illonen are in the U.S. Open...

Sihwan Kim, Matthew Baldwin, Jacquelin, Manassero and Peter Lawrie are playing off for four spots

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 19:33

Manassero and Baldwin made birdie on the first playoff hole according to a tweet I saw.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 19:49

According to Andrea Ronchi, Italian Journalist Matteo qualified.

11 spots in Euro sectional? Very generous IMO.

North America only got 8 spots in the Open Championship qualifying last week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 28 May 2012 - 19:58

GPB,
Plus two from the Special moneylist, plus one from Greenbrier and another from John Deere . . . . .
Plus, from memory and that's been a bit suspect, more from 2011 FedEx than from R2D.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 28 May 2012 - 20:19

Sihwan Kim is the unfortunate one out... Peter Lawrie got the last spot Leprechaun
Matteo, Baldwin, Jacquelin and Lawrie are in...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 28 May 2012 - 20:21

Kwini: Well there are more Euros competing for those OC spots in North America than there are Yanks competing for the US Open spots at Walton Heath.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 29 May 2012 - 0:25

GPB, the Open also offers three spots from Australian qualifying, three from South African and another three from Asian, whereas today was the only US Open qualifier held outside N America apart from six spots in Japan. And there's only 22 spots available to the Open from qualifiers in Britain (10 at Sunningdale, 12 in local qualifying), whereas the US-based qualifiers for the US Open have far more available spots (64 last year plus first dibs on alternate spots). Different systems, and I wouldn't criticise either, but I certainly wouldn't say the US Open's one is over-generous to Europe.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 29 May 2012 - 8:58

Perhaps the event should be renamed "The US Open but Rest of the World Not So Much".

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 May 2012 - 9:14

I can't believe someone is saying the US Open is over generous to Europe. Three out of the four majors held in America. You can't fix it to make only US based players who contest them.
In my opinion they aren't generous enough. The fields in these majors are so heavily weighted in favour of American based players it is unreal.

I'm getting pretty sick of all the two tour thing, there aren't two tennis tours or two F1 programmes. Golf is a global game, so let's have a global tour and spread the events round a bit and have the worlds best playing week in week out, or would American players object to having to buy a passport

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 May 2012 - 9:32

“so let's have a global tour and spread the events round a bit and have the worlds best playing week in week out”

This sort of happens already, it is just that the events are not spread around the world, but around the states of the US. The PGA tour regularly averages around 50-55 OWGR points per event whereas the euro tour manages about 35ish for the season. We just need more of the closed minded European types like lawrie to get their ass’s across the Atlantic.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 May 2012 - 10:13

Or look at it another way, Americans could move around a bit for a change.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 29 May 2012 - 10:33

Interestingly, Webb Simpson and Luke Donald exchanged tweets last week - Simpson was saying how good Wentworth looked, and Donald agreed and suggested he should come play next year. I think the response was along the lines of "I might well do!".

Speaking of which, I was under the impression that Americans shun the BMW PGA out of choice (as Westwood suggested when he skipped The Players' last year, and I don't recall anyone refuting), whereas the BBC commentary said that they're generally not eligible as they need to be [European] PGA members. Can anyone clarify? Was also rather sad to hear an indication from Peter Alliss that the BBC might not be covering the tournament in future, but perhaps that's not hugely surprising given direction of travel of TV sports coverage. Having said that, I don't know why they are only showing their highlights programmes for this week's Wales Open locally and not nationally. Meandering rant over.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 May 2012 - 10:41

Skydriver

If you have sky - or maybe other services as well - you can watch all the local bbc channels. I think they are just before or just after the adult channels.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:07

I thought the owgr top fifty received exemptions into the BMWPGA?
That's certainly what the Golf Channel guys were saying during their weekend commentaries.
Simpson should just about still make it for next year then . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:19

I think McIlroy, Westwood, Harrington & Poulter chop & change too much between Europe & US.

McIlroy's decision to play Wentworth baffles me. He's now heading accross the Atlantic again to play 3 consecutive weeks..........................

You've got to think Donald seems to have his scheduling spot on...............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:21

donald looks to handle his scheduling better- problem is he isnt prioritising it for the majors- which seems a shame. Because he almost looks burnt out every time he plays em!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:28

John,
Think you've got that spot on - with Portrush on his schedule as well, McIlroy for instance will be playing five weeks out of six in four different timezones.
Poulter and Westwood (Casey too) just seem to be blindly chasing appearance fees, settling down occasionally for WGC's and Majors.
Harrington will always be an enigma so at least he's being consistent.

Would say McDowell and Rose have got their schedules pretty well organized also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:55

mystiroakey wrote:donald looks to handle his scheduling better- problem is he isnt prioritising it for the majors- which seems a shame. Because he almost looks burnt out every time he plays em!!

There is always ONE or TWO players under huge pressure to win their first Major. 10 years ago it was Monty & Phil. Phil did it (and 3 more followed), Monty never quite got over the line..............

Given his exceptional talent, Rory Mc had it for 5 or 6 Majors but monkey off back now.

It's now Donald & Westwood and despite what they say, they must feel under huge pressure to win one, and Donald's record of never really contending at a Major is baffling (correct me if im wrong but i cant recall him ever going into the Back 9 on a sunday in contention)..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 May 2012 - 12:28

John

Luke was the joint leader with Tiger after 54 holes of the 2006 PGA championship. He shot a 74 and tiger a 68, although it was all over for luke when tiger had a front nine 32 to lukes 37.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 May 2012 - 13:53

Mac, that was six years ago. The fortunes and careers of Cocknose Woods and Luke Donald have been completely reversed. Only one of them looks capable of winning a major now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next