The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Road

2 posters

Go down

Red Road Empty Red Road

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:04 am

A couple of weeks ago I saw that the Red Road flats in Glasgow were being demolished.

Video

I first became aware of these buildings when I saw the film named after and partly set in and around them, which prompted me to find out more about them.

I know there are some Glaswegians on here and just wondered if anybody had any first hand stories or opinions about the Red Road flats. Did anybody live there or have family or friends that did? Any thoughts on the demolition? A good thing or a bad thing? Do you now look up and think there is something iconic missing from the skyline, or were they a bit of an eyesore?

Spoiler:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Red Road Empty Re: Red Road

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 27 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

I'm glad they have been ripped down they have done the same in the Gorbals, Pollokshaws and Castlemilk in recent times as well. They are rife with drugs and not a bit of weed or a few pills drugs like meth and heroin and are impossible for the police to monitor.

I lived in high rise flats or multies as they are called in Glasgow when I was younger and regularly found junkies smacked out on the stairs or in a landing. The flats might not have been the biggest problem hard drugs and the way junkies are dealt is probably the real problem but pulling down the high rise flats is a start.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:57 am

Thanks for replying Kev.

I'm an outsider and in no position to argue with your summation. I thought from a few reports I'd seen that some people had mixed feelings about them coming down, like an iconic part of the skyline will be gone forever. Also that they had good memories of living there, although that was probably in the early days.

They did look quite rundown in recently taken pictures that I've seen.

One of my former jobs was as a lift engineer and the high rise flats in Nottingham were the places I looked least forward to going to. The bottom of the lift shaft was basically syringes and the smell of urine. Not nice places.

Have you seen the Red Road film that I linked in the OP?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down