The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Irish Open

+26
Tinmar
George1507
Slowride
Doon the Water
McLaren
4putt
ralphjohn69
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
TexasWedge
Thomond
Bob_the_Job
dynamark
themightyone
NedB-H
sirbenson
Shotrock
GPB
navyblueshorts
Lairdy
John Cregan
Skydriver
incontinentia
super_realist
kwinigolfer
princedracula
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

European Tour - Irish Open Empty European Tour - Irish Open

Post by princedracula Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

The much anticipated return of the Irish Open to Northern Ireland and to the Royal Portrush is finally upon us. It was 65 years ago (1947) when the event was staged there last time, with Harry Bradshaw from Delgany, Co. Wicklow, being the winner. The Dunluce Course is widely acknowledged as one of the best links courses in the world (redesigned by Harry Colt in 1929) and as many players have commented in the last couple of days, the course should be in great condition for the event...

Spoiler:
The last couple of years the Open was held on a parkland course in Killarney, a place which has been particularly good to the English golfers who have won each of the four editions organised there in the ‘modern’ era (i.e. since 1975… there was no Irish Open as such between 1953-1975). In contrast, English golfers haven’t been so successful when the event has been organised on a typical links course (Mark James the last winner in 1980 at Portmarnock). With all the great successes of Irish golfers over the past 5 years, there are obviously very high expectations that one of them should win the event this year. Would be great for one of the Portrush boys to get it, of course, but considering DC’s health and form of late, probably the only realistic option in that category remains McDowell. Don’t know what to make of Rory’s chances though, not sure if he is ready to contend again, especially considering that the weather prospects are not very good. You can’t overlook the fact that he holds the course record here (61). He posted on twitter a short clip with the scorecard and some images from that record setting round in 2005 (weather was very good then…) and interestingly enough he added… “Think my course record might be in jeopardy though!”

http://social.rorymcilroy.com/videos/192209

Then there is Padraig Harrington, who often mentions the Royal Portrush as being his favourite course, and with his newly found form he cannot be ruled out by any means… But as much as I would love to see an Irish winner here come Sunday, I also have a feeling that all the added focus and pressure on the local star players, could well influence the proceedings and the outcome by the end of the week…

Rather disappointing in the end to see that quite a few of the top European players are not coming, but having said that, the strength of the field should be close to the highs achieved over the past decade or so…

Spoiler:
For quite a number of years now, John Daly has been the star US attraction at the Irish Open. And he will be here again, but he’s been certainly upstaged this year by Keegan Bradley, who won quite a few fans over here since he announced his intention to play in the event. And fair play to him, he really seems to be very excited to be here, flying over a couple of days ago together with McDowell and taking time to do at least some of the compulsory Co. Antrim sightseeing (Giant’s Causeway, Bushmills Distillery, etc.). Liked one of his tweets about the local weather... You know the weather gets bad here when it's 50 blowing 20 sprinkling and the people keep saying "hope the weather holds out like this all week"
...as well as this picture of him looking rather lost, but happy, in the middle of the famous 'Big Bertha' bunker on the 17th...

Spoiler:
The European Tour has already announced that Friday, Saturday and Sunday are a complete sell out, which we’re told is an unprecedented achievement for a regular ET event. With over 100,000 visitors expected to ‘flood’ the course over the next few days (a limit of 27,000 per day will be imposed), and with some very typical Irish weather forecasted (rain on Thu & Fri and then wind picking up as well on Sat & Sun), this is not going to be just a very tough test of golf, but also a tough test for the organisers who will be extremely keen to show the world (and especially the R&A) that the Royal Portrush is well capable to host a top event like this, and maybe more…

P.S. Unfortunately couldn’t travel to the event this year, but luckily this should be well covered live on National TV channels over here from Thursday to Sunday (especially now that THE famous handshake is out of the way…). With all the Euro footy, Wimbledon and the Euro Athletics on the box as well, should be very little time left for any work this week I’m afraid… Whistle Bring it on!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Irish Open Empty Re: European Tour - Irish Open

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

Sounds like a great event in prospect; hope the weather forecast turns out to be over-pessimistic.

Looking forward to reports from Portrush!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Shane Lowry has already bought up all the potatoes on the island

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

Keegan Bradley for the win!

Honestly though, hope one of the Irish boys can take the title. Harrington has been looking ominous for a while, he has to win soon.

Other than Harro, a Mc win would be nice, whether its Dowell or Ilroy.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

Here's hoping for a fabulous Irish Open at Portrush (he says, being British - by place of birth, at least). Kudos and Guiness to Graeme, Darren and Rory for making it happen so quickly, and for giving The Open rota selection people something to think about at least. Presumably, the venue will need to be capable of entertaining even higher footfall over 4 days to secure the big one, but (a) one step at a time, obviously and (b) it's no bad thing for the cause, or the attention, that tickets have sold out for several of the days already.

I thought that McDowell has scored a 59 or two on the course - presumably practice round(s) if not the official record though.

Wonder if they invited the Queen to visit, seeing as she's on good terms with Messrs McDowell, Clarke and McIlroy, and happens to be in the general vicinity this week. And she would have had some hand in naming the course.

As for who might win, Westwood says he is tipping Paddy. And also Hoof It at Newcastle on Saturday (which is probably more of interest to Her Majesty).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

Great post PD,
Unfort i will also be missing the event having been at the last 4......just too far away unfortunately.

Really like Bradley's attitude, seeing as this isin't an ideal date for the Americans and the Americal based Euros with the France/Scotland/Open treble being much more convenient. Wonder did Bubba warn him off France!!

Forecast not too bad im told................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

With all the attention on the GMacs and Rorys I bet the likes of Hoey or Maybin will win. In fact I'll have some of that!

Took a quick drive into the Killarney golf club at the start of the year when I was in Killarney for a wedding. Looked a nice place in a great part of the world. Had a fantastic time of it. guinness

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

Lairdy wrote:With all the attention on the GMacs and Rorys I bet the likes of Hoey or Maybin will win.
How about Dunbar? The great Shane Lowry was an amateur when he won this 3 years back, could happen again. Also Dunbar must have intimate knowledge of Portrush being relatively local.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 27 Jun 2012, 5:41 pm

Great writeup Drac.
Actually hoping Bradley does well this week as really like his seemingly genuine enthusiasm to play the course. That's one big bunker he's stood in!
Quite fancy Harrington - he's playing well it seems and he can obviously contend on this type of course.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:11 pm

Cheers guys!

You've probably seen the update already from the European Tour... Irish Open now completely SOLD OUT!!!

“The 2012 Irish Open has exceeded all expectations in terms of advance ticket sales. Following the announcement that the last three days were sold out, we had a considerable up-take for Thursday which has culminated in us putting up the ‘sold out’ signs. We urge spectators not to arrive at the gate in hope of purchasing tickets, as there will be no further sales for the 2012 Irish Open.”

Amazing... surely, as Sky said, this should send at least one strong signal to the R&A about the local 'potential'... Remains to sort out the potential clash with the marching season, but hopefully after today's 'handshake', even that may not be such a big issue in 2017 and beyond... Smile

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:23 pm

It looks like Rory might have Caroline in the gallery this week as she just lost her first round match at Wimbledon. (Unless she is playing doubles).

I am really looking forward to see Royal Portrush for the first time. I have heard so much about it.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

Rory's recent habit of missing the halfway cut may be contagious - I've just seen on the TV that Caroline has crashed out of Wimbledon...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

Edit: Duplicate post: Doh

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

REALLY look forward to play here ... Everyone I've spoken to that has played it raves about it.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:37 am

A pretty wet start, as anticipated... There was quite a bit of talk a few weeks ago when Ollie decided to join the Irish Open field at Portrush, a course that, rather surprisingly, he admitted he never set eyes on in his long and distinguished carreer...

And there he is, he's the very early leader after two birdies in his first 3 holes this morning. Birdie starts also for GMac, Harri and a few others...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:29 am

Ho(rrr)ey!!! Michael holes out for eagle at the par 4 13th and a share of the lead with Mark Foster...

The infamous Calamity Corner and the Purgatory to follow though...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:32 am

Oooops! Turns out it was just a mistake on the ET leaderboard. Only a par for Hoey at the 13th, but he seems to have birdied the Calamity Corner...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:05 am

The ET leaderboard seems to be lagging badly this morning. Padraig already 2-under after 8 (not 1-under after 6 as displayed)... Rain easing off now...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

Harrington seems to have his game under complete control, good to see....these swing changes may just turn out to be the best thing ever with his improved ballstriking.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

Yep, Padraig just moved nicely to 4-under now. Peaking at the right time for the Open...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

Cmon Padraig! I have a (free) tenner on him e/w...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:30 am

Already looks like the cut here will be under par.......................

Beware Padraig's propensity to finish off a round poorly..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:39 pm

sirbenson wrote:Harrington seems to have his game under complete control, good to see....these swing changes may just turn out to be the best thing ever with his improved ballstriking.
Which particular swing changes would these be? The man's an inveterate tinkerer.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

Anyone found any lucky charms yet?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

Some interesting afternoon flights:
McIlroy / Bradley / Grace
Rock / Luiten / Thornton (?)
Manassero / Willet / Lowry.

Hope Matteo does not fall into a pit created by the gentle strides of Mr Lowry.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

If they get the storm Ive just been caught in there will be a problem I kid thee not -just walking back to the car sky went black and lumps of ice the size of golfballs appeared before a torrent of rain.the ice kept coming for 15 mins car roof is dented.Ended up pulling onto the grass and sitting under a tree to try to protect the motor.Never seen anything like it.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:44 pm

Whereabouts are you dyna? Nicest day we've had for weeks in SE England, but very muggy, feels like it could break later

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

I've tickets for tomorrow - looking forward to a day watching a game with which I am not familiar.

I've played the course a few times.. will be intertesting to see how it should be done.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

themightyone wrote:Some interesting afternoon flights:
McIlroy / Bradley / Grace
Rock / Luiten / Thornton (?)
Manassero / Willet / Lowry.

Hope Matteo does not fall into a pit created by the gentle strides of Mr Lowry.

They could use Lowry to roll the water out of the greens.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 28 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

The tree I was under is right outside Hinckley golf club.Earlier a few miles away couple of factory roofs pulled off and metal skips flying about.
Pretty sure my garage will have flooded when I get home.Only glad I dont have a greenhouse!
Back to the golf I notice Rock has missed a fair few events recently maybe knocked the sharpness off.But scraping a living and probably 4 weeks solid until the Open

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

There have been some pretty crazy weather around these shores since last night (flash flooding, similar to what dynamark described) and one of those nasty belts of lightening clouds has just been passing across Portrush the last hour or so. As nasty as they are, luckily they don't last very long and RTE just said that they expect play to be resumed at ~16:40 local time...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Now that's what I call weather! Can somebody hold a calendar up to the sky and remind the powers that be that it's late June?

This is one tournament I would like to see in person.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

Shotrock wrote:Now that's what I call weather! Can somebody hold a calendar up to the sky and remind the powers that be that it's late June?

This is one tournament I would like to see in person.

This is what Ireland's like all year round!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

Today I heard one of the Irish meteo guys saying that it's been the wettest June on record...

Dissapointing 5-5-5 finish for Rory. Caroline's presence didn't seem to help him that much...
A couple of aces out there today: J Donaldson at the 6th and J Morrison at the Calamity Corner. It's a very lucky time for Morrison: became a father a couple of weeks ago, won the Open qualifier on Monday and now a hole in one and a new car!
And talking of eagles, this doesn't happen very often: young Argentinian gun Emiliano Grillo carded two eagles at two consecutive holes (9th and 10th)...

There's a late assault for the lead by the French troops (Bourdy and Dubois)...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

Two eagles (not consecutive though) for Donaldson then.
I wonder if he's close to the top of the list of European Tour golfers with most money won without a win; seems he gets a podium finish every year without getting the Champagne.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Two eagles (not consecutive though) for Donaldson then.
I wonder if he's close to the top of the list of European Tour golfers with most money won without a win; seems he gets a podium finish every year without getting the Champagne.

Is that title held by Ollie Wilson? Chris Wood another in that company..................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm

5.7M Euros for Ollie Wilson, would think that's a very good shout.

Has Wood been around long enough to contend for that dubious honour?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasWedge Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

GPB wrote:It looks like Rory might have Caroline in the gallery this week as she just lost her first round match at Wimbledon. (Unless she is playing doubles).

I am really looking forward to see Royal Portrush for the first time. I have heard so much about it.

I was at Portrush today and can confirm that Wozniacki was indeed there. She was walking inside the ropes with McIlroy's da and wearing a "Marshall" armband. Not a chance of gettign that sort of treatment in an Open Championship.

Weather turned cráp early afternoon and the course is a bit greener than I'm sure they'd like but it's in superb condition.

Off to Royal County Down in the morning for a bit of Palmer Cup action.

TexasWedge

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:41 am

How is my favourite glutton Shane Lowry doing?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:16 am

Probably having a hearty breakfast about now.
Back to the weather my boss went home last night to find that his new BMW left safely on the drive had been attacked from above.dented all over

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:45 am

Luckily nothing as bad as yesterday forcasted for today, but I see Rors is having a bit of a 'stormy' start himself with two birdies after 3 holes (a nice cuddle from Caro last night must've helped). And what about McGinley starting with an eagle at the 10th...!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:48 am

super_realist wrote:How is my favourite glutton Shane Lowry doing?

-2 after 2 !!

Heard a sports journalist on radio earlier predicting the cut at -1 or par - he obviously needs to find another job!!
Cut -3 looks about it. Could get to -4, but unlikely. -2 a possibility if wind gets up..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 29 Jun 2012, 9:12 am

A bit of a "Calamity" for Rory at the 14th, but McGinley and Gagli look to be on a mission this morning, sharing the lead right now....!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 29 Jun 2012, 9:20 am

Some fast starts this morning.

Seems like our friend Gagli has took inspiration from last night. He seems to do well on links. Worth keeping an eye on over the next few weeks. Is he in The Open?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:19 am

Cut about to go to -3 where it should stay.............

If Keegan Bradley is to miss the cut he will have 14 shots on the 10th to thank..........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:32 am

Bradley will crash out for sure, he needs at least -3/-4 over his last 8 holes and the way he is playing, it will probably be +3/+4. Interestingly, the Rock / Luiten / Thornton (?) flight is being won (easily) by unknown Thornton, with Luiten set to make the cut the way he is scoring right now (-3 after 8 holes) and Rock being cut.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:32 am

Gagli is not in the Open and I doubt he has any chance left to get there at this point, but I'm sure a win here will be just as sweet...

Wind seems to be picking up a little, so the pace of scoring may slow down later in the day. Looks like Bradley will struggle to make the cut, and others like Matteo and Willett really need to get it going over the next holes to have a chance...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

Darren looks like he's in a decent position on the leaderboard, which is good to see.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

Lowry's "7" at 16 has now been corrected to a "5" so he is now -3 which is the current cut.................

If the weather is benign in the afternoon, i think the early starters will need to be -4 to be absolutely sure of playing the weekend................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

princedracula wrote:Gagli is not in the Open and I doubt he has any chance left to get there at this point, but I'm sure a win here will be just as sweet...

Wind seems to be picking up a little, so the pace of scoring may slow down later in the day. Looks like Bradley will struggle to make the cut, and others like Matteo and Willett really need to get it going over the next holes to have a chance...

Surely if he won that would qualify him?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next