The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

+16
BoxingFan88
hampo17
The Galveston Giant
ShahenshahG
davidemore
manos de piedra
RANDY77
alanqlm
mobilemaster8
azania
TopHat24/7
John Bloody Wayne
sittingringside
6oldenbhoy
Rowley
School Project
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down. - Page 2 Empty Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

Post by School Project Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

News from the weigh in...

Adrien Broner weighs in 3.5lbs over the limit, tells everyone he wont strip the weight in his designated 2 hours. Escobedos manager rightly threatens to pull out of the fight, yet the WBO have other interests.

Even if Broner doesn't attempt to make the weight, they'll still allow the fight to continue.

WBO President Valcarcel states that Broner will be stripped, more interestingly: "If Escobedo wins, then he becomes the champion. If Broner wins, then he will become No. 1 at 135 pounds and become the mandatory for Ricky Burns."

Broner obviously hasn't made the effort, which in my opinion is VERY unprofessional. Yet there's no accountability, the fight will be allowed to continue!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down. - Page 2 Empty Re: Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:20 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:You end up with so many undeserving world champions who get to the top solely because of their ability to boil down, Margarito and Clottey being two examples that jump at me straight away.

Chavez is the obvious one for me. Gatti was another. Huge at 130 and often came in at 150 on fight night.

azania

Back to top Go down

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down. - Page 2 Empty Re: Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

Post by RANDY77 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:21 pm

It would also limit the need for fighters to contemplate the use of diuretics...

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:21 pm

azania wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:Because he's 250lb?

So?

Too many thing cutting the extra pound is easy. Why not an extra 2-3 or more pounds? Why not 7? And so on.

Hell yeah, losing 1 pound is easy so why not drop half your body weight!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

The only top level fighters I can think of who weigh in or around their divisions limit are Calderon, Pacquiao, Mayweather and Froch, even then Pacquiao was huge in the lower weights so is actual fact now fighting at his natural weight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
azania wrote:

So?

Too many thing cutting the extra pound is easy. Why not an extra 2-3 or more pounds? Why not 7? And so on.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:27 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
azania wrote:

So?

Well you did say everybody.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:28 pm

Sot Chitalada was another. His walk around weight was 140 yet boiled down to 108. Incredible.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:You end up with so many undeserving world champions who get to the top solely because of their ability to boil down, Margarito and Clottey being two examples that jump at me straight away.

I kind of agree, but to play devils advocate, you could argue that draining is simply a part of boxing, and that, an ability to boil down is a physiological blessing in the same way that extreme power or blistering speed are.

I guess Malignaggi see's Mother Nature as being tad miserly when she bestowed power upon him. Some things just aren't fair.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

The weight in between fights is difficult to ascertain because boxers have varying levels of fitness when not in camp, and the range of a persons healthy weight is quite broad.

Somebody like Duran used to get up to 180lbs during his blowouts in between fights but his normal healthy weight have been alot lower I imagine. Hearns would probably have weighed over 200lbs if he adopted a similar approach to Duran in between fights.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:42 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:

I kind of agree, but to play devils advocate, you could argue that draining is simply a part of boxing, and that, an ability to boil down is a physiological blessing in the same way that extreme power or blistering speed are.

I guess Malignaggi see's Mother Nature as being tad miserly when she bestowed power upon him. Some things just aren't fair.

Equally though, if it went back to same day weigh ins then these weight cutters would be walking carcasses and lose alot of their advantage. Paulie having no power is just natural but with weight cutting its about trying to find a balance I think. The big weight cutters have their advantage at the moment because the system allows it as much as their ability to boil down.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:45 pm

An additional weigh in needs to be added in my opinion.

I disagree with fighters being weighed on the weeks leading up to a fight as some fighters will lose most of their weight at the start of their camp, others at the end.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:

Equally though, if it went back to same day weigh ins then these weight cutters would be walking carcasses and lose alot of their advantage. Paulie having no power is just natural but with weight cutting its about trying to find a balance I think. The big weight cutters have their advantage at the moment because the system allows it as much as their ability to boil down.

I have no idea how Malignaggi makes weight. I was just making a point that some people have power, some people have speed, some people can cut weight....and that not possessing any combination of those things is a physiological disadvantage (....but its just the natural order of things).

@@@EDIT@@@ I miss read your text Manos. Yes I agree about the walking carcasses if weigh-ins were on the day of the fight (alot of the lads on this site that have boxed amateur will give testament to that). Below belchees makes avery good point..

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : required)
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:53 pm

If they changed the rules now to same day weigh ins or even a strict limit on how much weight can be gained between the weigh in and fight night it would be absolute chaos. Over half the champions in the sport would have to vacate their belts and move up a weight division or two. I think the IBF have a weight limit on how much you can gain from weigh in to fight night but I don't know what it is.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:06 am

Funny that hardly anyone was complaining when Ricky Hatton came in over 150 in his prime. I reckon people saw it as an advantage and supported him for it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:11 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:

I have no idea how Malignaggi makes weight. I was just making a point that some people have power, some people have speed, some people can cut weight....and that not possessing any combination of those things is a physiological disadvantage (....but its just the natural order of things).

I dont mean Malignaggi cutting weight, but just how his lack of power is a natural occuring thing that has no real remedy in boxing.

Some boxers have frames that allow them to cut massive amounts of weight but while this is a natural advantage, its only because the system of weighing in the day before gives them sufficient time to rehydrate. Without this, the advantage isnt really there because they would be too drained to compete effectively. So I would view as being different to a situation of a fighter lacking power (like Paulie).

The debate centres around whether the system of day before weigh ins that results in this kind of thing is a good one ultimately.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:12 am

Excellent point az.

Ricky was always complimented with having brilliant workrate, walking through a couple of punches to land one of his own (except in the two very obvious exceptions).

Would he have been able to do this if his opponent was 10 heavier than him?

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:15 am

well he couldn't do it against a bald hair dresser at welterweight, so no!

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:17 am

I always thought people generally accepted that Hattons size and strength at 140lb was crucial to his success and that his effectiveness against bigger opponents would be curtailed.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:22 am

Manos I edited my response to the Malignaggi post if you hadn't noticed mate.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:24 am

Yeah cheers, just saw it now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:26 am

suppose until anything does change with regards to the weigh in process, we will just have to accept it suits some fighters more than others...

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:31 am

I think the IBF system is probably the fairest. Just have a limit on how much weight can be put on between weigh in and fight night.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2