Hall of Fame - Open for Business

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hall of Fame - Open for Business Empty Hall of Fame - Open for Business

Post by Rowley on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:34 pm

Evening all

A number (well two) have asked in recent months what is happening with the 606 Hall of Fame, our intention was to wait for the Captain to return because it was always his baby and he run a tight ship, but given his absence unfortunately appears to be permanent we have taken the decision to reopen it. For those unfamiliar with the idea the thread was started as a reaction to the IBHOF's seeming obsession with inducting people into the hall of fame who have no place whatsoever being there and we decided we would assess fiive fighters a week against a stiffer set of criteria and try and separate the good from the trly great and have a hall of fame stocked exclusively with the latter.

The process is already well under way and all the fighters under the modern category have been sifted and decided on so we reconvene discussing the old timers, and this weeks five candidates are listed on the thread along with short biographies of each, which some of the more eagle eyed amongst you will notice have been nicked in parts from the Hall of Fames biographies (mine only, Chris did his properly) but until the cpatain decides to return and start doing the job properly again you'll just have to suffer my laziness.

More detailed guidance on how the hall works are in the Captains original thread but you're all welcome to join in but I would ask anyone who chooses to do so to take a few minutes to look at the work and debate that has gone into the process thus far because ideally we'd like to see the debate continue in a similarly mature fashion.

Last edited by rowley on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame - Open for Business Empty Re: Hall of Fame - Open for Business

Post by John Bloody Wayne on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:40 pm

Excellent! Probably the best thread on the forum and always teaches a lot.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

rowley wrote:Evening all

A number (well two) have asked in recent months what is happening with the 606 Hall of Fame, our intention was to wait for the Captain to return because it was always his baby and he run a tight ship, but given his absence unfortunately appears to be permanent we have taken the decision to reopen it. For those unfamiliar with the idea the thread was started as a reaction to the IBHOF's seeming obsession with inducting people into the hall of fame who have no place whatsoever being there and we decided we would assess fiive fighters a week against a stiffer set of criteria and try and separate the good from the trly great and have a hall of fame stocked exclusively with the latter.

The process is already well under way and all the fighters under the modern category have been sifted and decided on so we reconvene discussing the old timers, and this weeks five candidates are listed on the thread along with short biographies of each, which some of the more eagle eyed amongst you will notice have been nicked in parts from the Hall of Fames biographies (mine only, Chris did his properly) but until the cpatain decides to return and start doing the job properly again you'll just have to suffer by laziness.

More detailed guidance on how the hall works are in the Captains original thread but you're all welcome to join in but I would ask anyone who chooses to do so to take a few minutes to look at the work and debate that has gone into the process thus far because ideally we'd like to see the debate continue in a similarly mature fashion.

I look forward to debating The Hal of Fame Mr Rowley....

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

Captain will sue his ass if he keeps it as Hall of Fame.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

If me being sued out of my meagre possessions is the price that needs to be paid for the capt to return am happy to take one for the team

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:36 pm

Yeah it's strange mate.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:47 pm

I still believe the conspiracy that Captain was Windy's alias........him or Eric da Cat, either gonna go one way or the other!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:53 pm

I take it, you haven't heard back from the captain then rowley?

My left field theory was that windy's alias was waingro given that he left after a spat with windy, and he was the only poster i remember windy really losing it with! However, i believe that windy's alias dates back to 606, so that's that scuppered.

If windy and the captain were one and the same (Strange to have an alter ego, not dissimilar to your real personality) it would explain the timing of his unexplained disappearance.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

Heard nothing back mate, so thought we may as well plough on, if he returns he can always step back into the breach on the hall but thought we had waited long enough and unless we did something sooner rather than later the whole thing would die a death which would be a terrible waste of a lot of work.

When it comes to aliases I struggle to keep track, my own view or perhaps my wish is that Windy was Ralphy, that would have been great.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

The Captain will have to venture into Rotherham to make Rowley pay!!!

It would be like David Soul in Salem's lot!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

It would make sense that one of the few people that could match Windy knowledge wise would be his own alias but I dont think they were the same person. It wouldn't say much for the rest of us if Windy had to create an alias similar to himself to have a decent debate.....

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:20 pm

right decision i'd say rowley. Shame we're onto an era that completely pre-dates my knowledge pool, erm... knowledge puddle

valid point paper...

makes me wonder when we last heard from colonial? I now have an image of windy merrily typing away having a 3 way conversation with himself, waiting for muppets like me to butt in with an irrelevant and misguided comment, that he could politely correct with the alter ego of his choosing!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

My take on it was that Windy was most of the time very sensible and grounded and that he'd want an alias that he could have fun with. Someone completely different to himself where he could let his hair down and laugh at everyone's reaction. So I think its more likely he was someone like Ralphy than the Captain..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The Captain will have to venture into Rotherham to make Rowley pay!!!

It would be like David Soul in Salem's lot!!!

Grerat film; "Your faith against his fate." James Mason's up there with Burton in my view.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

Agreed......

wonderful actor!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

No chance that Windy was the Captain. No fun in it for Windy. I'd love it to be Ralphy - or Tysonkings.

Looking forward to the HoF being up an running again.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:44 am

superflyweight wrote:No chance that Windy was the Captain.

Aye, according to Jeff's original post, Windy sadly passed away on the 24th May. The Captain last logged on to the forum on the 31st May.

I think it was the guy who did the amusing raps, but I can't remember his name.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:02 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Aye, according to Jeff's original post, Windy sadly passed away on the 24th May. The Captain last logged on to the forum on the 31st May.

alexdaman / john de chef?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:09 am

alma wrote:How was your holiday tina? Bet it wasn't as good as mine. I even got the wife to go to a cricket match!

I can guarantee it wasn't as good as yours, alma. Kids drove me mental and had to put up with the usual Father in Law jokes about how soft and ladylike my hands are. One day, I am going to hunt and kill a bear and dump the carcass on his doorstep. Seriously, he makes Bear Grylls look like a girlguide.

What game did you see? Would love to see some cricket in the Caribbean.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

seanmichaels wrote:

That's it, seany. One of those mad men.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

seanmichaels wrote:

Eric da Cat!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:21 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Eric da Cat!!

Could have been him, TopHat. I vaguely remember Windy hinting at it being a lyricist sometime ago but I can't be sure. I am the master at exposing aliases though. Just ask Cumbersome Sack. And Seany thinking about it. I might have missed Razzaq but I picked one of his previous alter egos apart pretty quickly.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Eric da Cat!!

Could have been him, TopHat. I vaguely remember Windy hinting at it being a lyricist sometime ago but I can't be sure. I am the master at exposing aliases though. Just ask Cumbersome Sack. And Seany thinking about it. I might have missed Razzaq but I picked one of his previous alter egos apart pretty quickly.

I wasn't necessarily trying to hide it.

Where in SA did you go? I went on a cricket tour there back in 1998. Funny place although very different from one place to the next. Still ten fer a pound?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:43 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Where in SA did you go? I went on a cricket tour there back in 1998. Funny place although very different from one place to the next. Still ten fer a pound?

Port Elizabeth and Rustenburg. It was work not pleasure though so I didn't really see much of interest. I have been a few times but never on my own time.

I asked around but no-one would own up to knowing Az.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

Is there any possibility that Windy's alias might have been Spring? I really hope it was.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

superflyweight wrote:Is there any possibility that Windy's alias might have been Spring? I really hope it was.

spring was a genius.

I think alex/john/ eric had a drink problem. I think he got banned by the big chief shortly before me.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

I think it would almost add to Windy's already hefty legacy in a strange way if his alias remains unknown forevermore, adding that aura of wonderment - kind of like Bradman's last innings duck, or Don Fox's fluffed conversion...........

But yeah, Eric da Cat / John da Chef is an interesting shout!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:30 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think it would almost add to Windy's already hefty legacy in a strange way if his alias remains unknown forevermore, adding that aura of wonderment - kind of like Bradman's last innings duck, or Don Fox's fluffed conversion...........

But yeah, Eric da Cat / John da Chef is an interesting shout!

did windy admit to having an alias then? i thought this was just speculation.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

He did, SM, back on the old 606 just before it got the chop (if you can find his 'Eder Jofre - the Bantamweight Sugar Ray' article he posted on the Beeb, you'll see what I mean). He said he was considering revealing the alias on the very last day of BBC 606, as I don't think he'd anticipated joining v2 at that point - but once he signed up here I think he must have decided against it!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

88Chris05 wrote:He did, SM, back on the old 606 just before it got the chop (if you can find his 'Eder Jofre - the Bantamweight Sugar Ray' article he posted on the Beeb, you'll see what I mean). He said he was considering revealing the alias on the very last day of BBC 606, as I don't think he'd anticipated joining v2 at that point - but once he signed up here I think he must have decided against it!

I think you're right Chris but he definitely hinted to me on v2 that he was a lyricist of some sort. His brilliance on the limerick thread would attest to that as well.

Having said that, Windy's intellect was in a different stratosphere to mine, so he could well have just confused me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

Having said that, Windy's intellect was in a different stratosphere to mine, so he could well have just confused me.

In all fairness Tina, waingro was capable of doing that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

That is actually quite funny.

Most unusual for you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:57 pm

As the old saying goes Tina, you buy enough tickets you eventually win a raffle.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

alma wrote:
rowley wrote:

In all fairness Tina, waingro was capable of doing that.

Waingro greater than Gordy or D4?

there was some general 606 sporting WUM who put all these guys to shame. can't remember his name but he came up with the immortal (IMO) line 'why do all boxers have big red hands?'.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

lol waingro destroys D4 and Gordy imo lol way too much quality for them.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

Ollie Stone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A70634207
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

Waingro informing us all that Wladimir and Vitali are actually brothers.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

Some more Ollie Stone wummery here....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/MA14490828?type=2&s_filter=articles&show=25

Last edited by Union Cane on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Port Elizabeth and Rustenburg. It was work not pleasure though so I didn't really see much of interest. I have been a few times but never on my own time.

I asked around but no-one would own up to knowing Az.

warning

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

For me the truly great wums are the ones who clearly have some knowledge of the subject but through either stupidity or a particular agenda have a complete inability to apply that knowledge in a rational or even handed manner, D4 is obviously one of the finer examples of such, as demonstrated by Chris’ quote the other day that he currently has Mayweather 5th in his P4P list.

However if we are talking the old 606 two of the finer examples of this particular type of wummery would be Ceej and the Realmickster.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

rowley wrote:For me the truly great wums are the ones who clearly have some knowledge of the subject but through either stupidity or a particular agenda have a complete inability to apply that knowledge in a rational or even handed manner, D4 is obviously one of the finer examples

Watching D4 torment Coxy used to be one of the funniest things on here. He had Coxy on a piece of string the entire time. It was like watching someone pull the legs of a particularly angry spider.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

About everything Alma, basically.

D4 wrecked Coxy the way booze wrecked Shane MacGowan.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:54 pm

Union Cane wrote:Some more Ollie Stone wummery here....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/MA14490828?type=2&s_filter=articles&show=25

<No Subject>
Badminton | Article
published Feb 28, 2011
i was playin badminton with my frend steve the other day, and much to my surprise i got my c0ck stuck in the net. ...

laughing It shouldn't really amuse a 33 year old but hey ho.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:56 pm

alma wrote:
rowley wrote:For me the truly great wums are the ones who clearly have some knowledge of the subject but through either stupidity or a particular agenda have a complete inability to apply that knowledge in a rational or even handed manner, D4 is obviously one of the finer examples

Watching D4 torment Coxy used to be one of the funniest things on here. He had Coxy on a piece of string the entire time. It was like watching someone pull the legs of a particularly angry spider.

What about? Manny and Floyd presumably?

Anything really. D4 just had his number, whatever they crossed swords over.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:01 pm

I tihnk D4 can probably lay claim to finishing off (fnar fnar) philsmithy as well. Am fairly sure that the timing of smithy losing the plot coincided with D4's spamming of the old board. Smithy changed his name to Captain Obvious and only seemed to get involved in endless Floyd v Manny arguments!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:04 pm

Coxy's abilities to brush off wind up attempts can only be described as feeble and inept, in fairness. I don't blame D4 for prodding away at him. I remember when D4 was (again) telling us all how Manny would destroy Floyd, to which Coxy replied that Floyd would "take Manny down to Chinatown."

D4 responded by saying that race has nothing to do with a boxer's abilities, that there was no need to mock Pacquiao's Asian ethnicity, that Coxy was being terribly ignorant by lumping all people with an Oriental appearance as in the 'Chinese' bracket etc.

The rest of us giggled at the wind up attempt it clearly was, Coxy fell for it, had a strop and spent the rest of the day chasing D4 to every thread he commented on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

I remember finding the real Mr Cox online. That was funny.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

This thread seems to be morphing into a different kind of 606 Hall of Fame than was spoken about in the OP... and I like it.

Who was it that said they could outrun Usain Bolt, going on how quickly they'd chased after a bus that they'd almost missed? Was that Ollie Stone too?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

Coxy basically had issues with anyone praising the well-known fighters who had transcended the sport either nationally or internationally and who garnered great acclaim amongst younger fans, because basically the only way you could possibly rate them (the trio in question in particular was Jones, Tyson and Hamed) is if you fell for hype jobs and knew nothing about the sport.

The worrying thing is, for a while some of the bile he spewed about them actually seemed to be rubbing off on some posters.

I remember when he poasted a list of fifty (and he assured me there'd have been a lot more, had his big, well-paid city job permitted the time for it) fighters he'd rank above Jones pound for pound - I had to rub my eyes at some of the names he included. Herman, Villa, Lynch etc.

I think most accusations of 'boxing snobbery' on here get blown a little out of proportion, but in Coxy's case they were pretty much justified.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:20 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I remember finding the real Mr Cox online. That was funny.

You couldn't have done that without my help though, seany.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum