The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

greatest singer of all time in your opionion

+23
Strongback
super_realist
Sir. badgerhands
Mind the windows Tino.
Galted
BlueNote
Looseheaded
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
Stella
Gibson
Cari
The Womble
dummy_half
The Boss
CFCNick
Adam D
GG
Lance
James_182
ChequeredJersey
Liam
27 posters

Go down

greatest singer of all time in your opionion Empty greatest singer of all time in your opionion

Post by Liam Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm

been some great vocalists over the years. For me, there was only one for me, Freddie Mercury.

In recent years i've stumbled across Myles Kennedy, who's touring with slash. Incredible voice I genuinely think rivals freddie's.

So who for you had the greatest voice of all time?

Liam

Back to top Go down

greatest singer of all time in your opionion Empty Re: greatest singer of all time in your opionion

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 pm

So many- voice is, like sporting talent, too subjective to pick just one.

For me the different contenders I have heard, depending on what one is lokking for, includes Freddie Mercury, Ray Charles, Alfie Boe, Jeff Buckley, Damien Rice (in a very different way), David Bowie, Whitney Houston, Nina Simone, Robert Plant, Paul Rodgers, Alicia Keys, Marvin Gaye, and Etta James
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

greatest singer of all time in your opionion Empty Re: greatest singer of all time in your opionion

Post by James_182 Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Depends what you look for in a voice and singer I guess, but for me its Johnny Cash.

I listen to mainly Punk, Rock and Metal but love cash.

I heard his son once say that you will find his albums among record collections that make him look out of place, but he has such a wide appeal that he reaches out to fans of all tastes.

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:18 pm

steven tyler for me

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Otis Redding

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:08 pm

A really hard one for me.

What are we judging it on? If its as a performer, then Freddie Mercury is a good shout.

If its on how beautiful a voice is, Karen Carpenter would win this for me.

My own personal favourite is Fish but thats down to the words and feeling in his voice.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:12 pm

If I can just say one, it's Jeff Buckley because every note plucks a string on the harp of my soul, or something cheesy like that
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Can't look much further than Freddie. It's very hard to pick just one from my "generation", I like Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys) and Billie Joe Armstrong. Honourable mention to Matt Bellamy too, his voice is more an instrument than purely singing the lyrics.

I can't pick just one. But maybe Dan Auerbach just shades it and all the rest are joint 2nd.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Stevie Nicks for me. Just something about that voice is just unreal!if its just going by their voice that is.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:06 am

For me Morrissey and Prince take some beating. The range they find is quite mesmerising. I would also chuck Bono's name in there, but for me Prince and Morrissey have always left me just saying wow. I think the talent in singing is match the tone to the music and I think Morrissey and Prince have done is better than most before and after them.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 am

Some great nominations already, to which I would add Art Garfunkel and the vocal for Bridge over Troubled Water.

As LK says, there is something about matching tone to music (and lyrical meaning), and that song is one of the finest examples of this you will ever hear.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:50 pm

There are some great shouts so far. It is hard to pick one but I'd like to put in
Darius Rucker - hootie and the blow fish
Brad Roberts - crash test dummies
Michael hutchence
Karen carpenter
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Purely on vocals only and nothing else I'll pick:

Otis Redding.
Damien Dempsey.
Aretha Franklin
Sinead O'Connor.
Bono (especially on early U2 stuff).
James Dean Bradfield.
Jonny Rotten (just unique).

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:19 am

For pure voice alone, Nat King Cole & Karen Carpenter.

Definitive.

Others up there for me:

Roy Orbison
Dusty Springfield
Sam Cooke
Aretha Franklin
Mary J. Blige
Marvin Gaye
Dionne Warwick
Curtis Mayfield
Stevie Wonder
Joni Mitchell
Smokey Robinson
Al Green
Patsy Cline
Bill Withers
Louis Armstrong
Neil Young
Annie Lennox
Chrissie Hynde
Van Morrison
Bowie
Bjork
Bonnie Raitt
Michael Jackson
Elvis
Me Uncle Eamon with a few pints in 'im

So many more. Its one of those eternal questions. But, the Top 2 always remain the same for me.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 am

I like emotional singers like Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy, but would say George Michael, amongst others has a better voice.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:42 am

Its hard to pick as people have suggested so I will base my answer on voices who effect me in a certain way when I hear them.

Karen Carpenter - Just an amazing voice. The song ''We only just began'' is proof for me. The perfect voice for a love song, great great voice.

Marvin Gaye - He could add real emotion to his songs, true talent. He could be melodic and powerful. Love hearing songs like ''When did you stop loving me, when did I stop loving you''

Stevie Wonder - Could go from soul to operatic in the same song again real talent.

Anita Baker - Jazz, soul, you name it.

Sade - need I say more.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:49 am

Stella wrote:I like emotional singers like Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy, but would say George Michael, amongst others has a better voice.

Great choices in Thom Yorke and Matt Bellamy, I love listening to Thom Yorke sing. Not a big fan of George Michael but can appreciate he has a good voice.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 am

crazygangwomble wrote:
Stella wrote:I like emotional singers like Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy, but would say George Michael, amongst others has a better voice.

Great choices in Thom Yorke and Matt Bellamy, I love listening to Thom Yorke sing. Not a big fan of George Michael but can appreciate he has a good voice.

Thom's emotion really come out doesn't it. Great band.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Its hard to pick as people have suggested so I will base my answer on voices who effect me in a certain way when I hear them.

Karen Carpenter - Just an amazing voice. The song ''We only just began'' is proof for me. The perfect voice for a love song, great great voice.

Marvin Gaye - He could add real emotion to his songs, true talent. He could be melodic and powerful. Love hearing songs like ''When did you stop loving me, when did I stop loving you''

Stevie Wonder - Could go from soul to operatic in the same song again real talent.

Anita Baker - Jazz, soul, you name it.

Sade - need I say more.

Another 2 cracking choices. Karen Carpenters voice gives me goosebumps sometimes. As for Stevie Wonder, the guy had something about him that just made him stand out. A brilliant voice
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

Gibson wrote:For pure voice alone, Nat King Cole & Karen Carpenter.

Definitive.

Others up there for me:

Roy Orbison
Dusty Springfield

So many more. Its one of those eternal questions. But, the Top 2 always remain the same for me.

Good choice on those two, Orbison makes it sound so effortless and Dusty is a big favourite of mine, can do pretty much any style, soul, ballads, pop, love Dusty.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 am

Not mentioned yet -
David Sylvian
Tom Waits

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Tom Waits for me, could sing anything and it'd sound golden and meaningful.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm

alma wrote:Sam Cooke. The rest trail in his wake to be honest

Man but its so hard to be white sometimes.

Love you Alma. Pour toi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbO2_077ixs

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Nat King Cole or Ella Fitzgerald

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri May 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Billie Holiday or Anita O'Day; in the pop/rock etc world, Aretha Franklin .

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Billie Holiday or Anita O'Day; in the pop/rock etc world, Aretha Franklin .

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Pop/rock? Arethra Franklin?? I know she's not true Blues or jazz but pop?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri May 24, 2013 1:52 pm

male - Michael Stipe of REM & Johnny Mathis
female - Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri May 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Ray LaMontagne has an incredible voice. Not the most uplifting songs but his voice is just amazing. It is someone rough and gravelly yet unbelievably soulful and soothing at the same time.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri May 24, 2013 3:44 pm

H from Steps.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri May 24, 2013 5:34 pm

CJ, I'm counting soul in 'etc'! It's quite hard to define - not classical, not jazz, not folk...

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Ray LaMontagne has an incredible voice. Not the most uplifting songs but his voice is just amazing. It is someone rough and gravelly yet unbelievably soulful and soothing at the same time.

This
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri May 24, 2013 5:43 pm

BlueNote wrote:CJ, I'm counting soul in 'etc'! It's quite hard to define - not classical, not jazz, not folk...

Well, I tend to define it as Soul! Or possibly an offshoot of Gospel
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Galted wrote:male - Michael Stipe of REM & Johnny Mathis
female - Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins

Excellent shout.

Tricky one as it's all subjective.

David Gedge,
Rachel Goswell,
Erlend Oye,
Isaac Brock
Matt Johnson

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 am

Musically and technically it's hard to beat Sinatra particularly his timing, phrasing, note bending etc. His playing with time was as good as any of the great jazz instrumentalists.

Best female singer to me is Ella Fitzgerald and it isn't even close. A voice of velvet that could do things and go places never matched in the history of recording.

For rock since the 1980's I like Chris Cornell.

Soul, it's Marvin or Otis, both incredible.

Of the British mega bands like Zep, Floyd, The Beatles etc I like Roger Daltrey's voice the most.

Freddie always deserves a special mention.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue May 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Ella had amazing dexterity, great voice, great phrasing, but maybe just lacked that little bit of soul for me.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 am

Right Im mainly a fan of Hip Hop and R&B so although I know I am going to be absolutely slated and ripped for this here goes:

The greatest singer of all time in MY opinion is R Kelly.

In fact one could say he is the "Worlds Greatest"! Whistle

In all seriousness though he is my favourite. Be gentle with me please!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 am

Just for you, Shot:

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 am

Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald and Tom Araya from SLAYER!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed May 29, 2013 6:19 pm

In terms of recent times, Chester Bennington of Linkin Park is up there. I'm bias as a fan but he sings in many different styles and sounds great every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4StOKKTOA

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Bruce Springsteen.
Smokey Robinson
Bob Marley
Jimmi Cliff.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Bob Marley wasn't even the best singer in Bob Marley & The Wailers.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down