The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool's run-in and finish!

5 posters

Go down

LFC League position, Sunday 22nd May, around 6:00pm

Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_lcap0%Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_lcap14%Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_lcap86%Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_rcap 86% 
[ 6 ]
Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_lcap0%Liverpool's run-in and finish! Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Liverpool's run-in and finish! Empty Liverpool's run-in and finish!

Post by Ramilas1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:44 pm

SO, what position can Liverpool finish this season, only six games (18 possible points) to go.

Checking the table and fixture list from now to the end of the season and it could be several possibles, mathematically speaking.

Most of the pundits don't reckon we can catch Spurs with their game in hand (at home to Arsenal!) meaning possible 8 points to make up.

Now, assuming 8 points would be the absolute maximum to gain (or lose) means we have to consider from 4th to 8th.

If we had 6 home games I'd be very optimistic, but aways to Arsenal, Fulham and Villa are ominous with our form.

Choose your position and let us know your main reasons why! ...
..... no voting after Sunday's away win defeat game at Arsenal.

Last edited by Ramilas1 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Location : Warsaw, Poland; formerly Bracknell, Loughborough, Bordon, several others - and Ireland originally

Back to top Go down

Liverpool's run-in and finish! Empty Re: Liverpool's run-in and finish!

Post by Ramilas1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Sixth for myself, away form not good enough to catch Spurs or City and the gap is probably too big anyway.

Don't see Everton (a tough run-in) or Bolton (FA Cup ups or downs to distract) catching us.

Sadly, then, no Europe but hopefully Kenny to stay for next year and continue the re-build.
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Location : Warsaw, Poland; formerly Bracknell, Loughborough, Bordon, several others - and Ireland originally

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm

I can't see Liverpool finishing higher than 6th and while thats not anywhere near a good season, compared to the position at the turn of the year it can't be seen as too bad, the away form is a problem though, if Liverpool did finish 5th I'd not be totally shocked, I just can't see it, I'm looking for major strides to be made next term though

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Agree with gaffer, I can't see us finishing any higher than 6th. I think we'd have to take maximum points to even entertain getting 5th and that's too big an ask.

Given the way the season started, I'd take a 6th place finish. Hopefully we can get some momentum going between now and the end of the season, to show any players who might be thinking of leaving (I'm looking at you Pepe!) that we can mount a challenge next season.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 pm

I think its possible you could finish 5th. Im a spurs fan, and what I'm witnessing with us is a team that's had a hard champions league campaign and now the goals are drying up and the injuries are mounting, while liverpool are in good form. We have to play away at City and Chelsea, at home to Arsenal and of course we still have to come to Anfield. If you beat us at home then its only a 5 point defecit to make up over 5 games. To be honest though I wouldnt mind Spurs finishing 6th rather than 5th if we're not gonna make top 4 - the Europa League is a lot of hassle for not much financial reward and really stretches a squad over the course of a season. We'd stand more chance of having another crack at the top 4 next year without that extra burden. The same applies for you, so I wouldnt go praying for a 5th place finish if I were you as I think its more of a millstone in the long run.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Do you see Pepe staying? I don't but where do you feel the team needs strengthened?

I think the club needs a new CB a LB and a pacey direct left winger, I'd also not be adverse to seeing another Central Midfielder as long as its someone better than whats already available with the exception of Gerrard

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I've got a horrible feeling that Pepe won't be staying, hope he proves me wrong though!

Can't argue with what you've already said regards what we need, would you take Aquilani back? Not sure if he's necessarily 'better' than what we've got in central midfield but he does offer something a bit different.

I'd also like another striker, a penalty box predator who can get us a goal coming on late in a match but also play from the start if injuries/suspensions/loss of form come into play. Only trouble is I can't think of anyone who could fill that role.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramilas1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Away form has been a real problem for the last 2 seasons now, and it is hard to put it down to any one or two reasons.

I think the lack of depth in the squad comes high on my list of reasons why, meaning both Rafa last year and Roy, by natural instinct, this year became too negative.

Hopefully Kenny can get some better players in, a better plan and a better mental approach instilled for next season ...... not suggesting we go down the gung-ho Blackpool/Holloway route, but they have actually got more away points than us this season so far. Very Happy
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Back to top Go down

Post by scfc1992 Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Spurs will be above man city their the ones to catch.

scfc1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:46 am

Y2 I don't think Aquilani will be back, i think the fans associate him with a bad time and that i think will stop them from truly getting behind him, It would be great if Liverpool could use him as a make weight in a deal for Wesley Snijder although United and Arsenal would be well up the line for him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 am

As for that other striker your looking for, I don't see why Kuyt couldn't be that type of player especially if the team can get a wide player, as United have proven with Hernandez tho, There is guys like that out there

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down