The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens 100m

+3
alfie
Strawberry Jam
lfc91
7 posters

Go down

Mens 100m Empty Mens 100m

Post by lfc91 Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Well round one done, whats peoples thoughts? Big talking point for me was baileys 9.88, looked fantastic. Bolt barely out of first gear(was to be expected). 3 brits into the semis so all good in that respect. Judging by gemilli, DC and dasoulus times they all look to be in the best shape of there lives! Realistically its unlikely we will get a brit in the final based on SB times but its the 100m so anything can happen. Sub 10 for any of the 3??

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Mens 100m Empty Re: Mens 100m

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Thoughts are the track is incredibly fast. Lets hope for fine weather and a following wind to see further fast times.

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Do you think it will need a sub 10 to make the final?(weather permitting).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 pm

lfc91 wrote:Do you think it will need a sub 10 to make the final?(weather permitting).

Firstly, well done to all the men's British sprinters, Dasalou, Gemili and Chambers. It's great to see them turn up and be counted!

Excepting Bolt, Blake, Powell, Gay, etc [ who can knock sub9.9's for fun ], I think every athlete realistically thinkng about getting into the final will be deeply concerned / worried about geting into the final. They know they will have to run at their best. For the 'lesser' athletes, no showboating; no slowing down near the end. None of that. Slowing down in a semi is saved for the likes of those names mentioned already.

If weather isn't a hindrance, all 8 making the final will be running run sub 10.

Most Likely finaliists?!

Bolt
Blake
Powell
Gay
Gatlin
Bailey

Based upon 8 athletes contesting the final, two places left?!

There are 3 Semis and 24 athletes competing - see below;

http://london2012.bbc.co.uk/athletics/event/men-100m/phase=atm001200/index.html

Trying to get into the final looks extremely difficult. Two go through from each semi and 2 feastest losers [ unless there are 9 to compete - there are 9 lanes! ]. Each semi is stacked!!! Havign to run sub 10 to get into the final is a necessity - but even that won't guarantee it!

Dasalou is in Powell and Gatlin's semi. Others to look out for; Bledman and Vicaut. Too stacked, it would seem, for Dasalou.

Chambers is in Bolt's semi. Others to look out for in that semi; Ryan Bailey and Richard Thompson. Chambers has a genuine chance of coming through this Semi. Chambers can possibly beat Thompson to 3rd - with Bolt and Bailey pulling him to a really good time [ suspect a long awaited PB might be on ].

Gemili in with Blake and Gay. If Gemili keeps his head, 3rd is a possibility, but he needs to run a big PB to give himself a chance of making the final. I'm not sure he has that kind of time in him at the moment, though he could get very close to 10sec dead.

All of the 'lesser' names will have to treat the semi like the final. None of them can afford to leave anything for the final. Better to be in the final, and come last, than come a comfortable-looking fourth in the semi, in 10.05, and not make the final.

There is one thing I can guarantee; tomorrow eveing, nothing get's in the way of me and the TV! There will be Olympic-level dedication and hard work towards ensuring that I'm there, in the right frame of mind and in the best condition possible Mens 100m 57983

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:30 pm

I hate the three semi final system...

But we're stuck with it ...with only one real round before I think it is hard to know who will get through , though the obvious six of Bolt Blake Bailey Gay Gatlin ( alas !) and Powell should all be there.
Raffle the other spots and the surprisingly good heat form for GB sprinters gives me hope that one may even make it !

Incidentally I am not sure about Bolt after that heat effort - I don't fear he'll miss the final of course , just not sure he is in the form to win it .

All will be revealed tomorrow Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:23 pm

alfie wrote:I hate the three semi final system...

But we're stuck with it ...with only one real round before I think it is hard to know who will get through , though the obvious six of Bolt Blake Bailey Gay Gatlin ( alas !) and Powell should all be there.
Raffle the other spots and the surprisingly good heat form for GB sprinters gives me hope that one may even make it !

Incidentally I am not sure about Bolt after that heat effort - I don't fear he'll miss the final of course, just not sure he is in the form to win it .

All will be revealed tomorrow Smile

Don't like the 3 semi system either.

Don't like Gatlin either. [ His excuse; he was taking something intended for his Attention Deficit, Hyperactive Disorder - ADHD. He's only running the 100m. How short is his concentration span?! Or his is ADHD that bad?! Shocked ].

It is difficult to read anything into Bolt's run perhaps. But Bolt's returning from injury. Bolt has grown and become more experienced. He's not going to risk anything in a heat. Bolt jogged his heat. Never seen anyone run 10.08 so easy [
Ryan Bailey ran fairly hard all the way - Gatlin ran fairly hard too ].
He still looks the man to beat to me Mens 100m 57983

I have to say again, our British printers have done better than I expected. Well done to them Mens 100m 1710857839 Mens 100m 1710857839 Mens 100m 1710857839

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:38 pm

agreed
congrats to all the GB 100m boys- definately justified their selection

Still think Blake will win. But generally I'm ABG orientated (anybody but gatlin)

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:01 pm

interestign rrading stuff from those who know a lot about these things. More so than the average joe like myself. Bring your stuff over to the Olympic thread could do with the better insights into the sprinting world.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Bloody hell - Blake has just run 9.69 in the Lausanne 100m Mens 100m 57983

...and into a -0.1m headwind Mens 100m 57983

...if he'd had a moderate tailwind of +1.0 then may be 9.65?! Even faster perhaps?!

Clearly running free - with no Bolt in the race to pile on the pressure...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:35 pm

And he had the flu Shocked (allegedly). Phenomenal run anyway. Sad seeing Gay in that shape. Even worse that he missed out on a medal because of a certain ADHD druggie.

On another note, my sis in law has a thing for Ryan Bailey.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Az my girlfriend has a thing for ryan bailey! He must be a good looking man(clearly me being a straight man wouldnt notice lol).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 pm

lfc91 wrote:Az my girlfriend has a thing for ryan bailey! He must be a good looking man(clearly me being a straight man wouldnt notice lol).

Is he good looking? Whistle

Mrs Az also says so. furious furious

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Blake running 9.69 vomit cracking run I have to admit. Also a top quality 200 meters with 5 athletes running 20:02 or better (Bolt winning of course, bot would I love it if the best actually competed against each other, which was what the DL was all about...)

Other great action included the men's high jump where three athletes cleared 2.37 or better, won by the young Qatari who shared bronze at the Olympics with a NR of 2.39. Grabbaz equalled the UK record of 2.37 by the way. Cracking competition.

Spencer and Walker produced belated SBs in the women's 400 hurdles, Antyukh well off the pace. James dominated the men's 400, Koech the steeplechase. Lavilenie just won the pole vault on countback with 5.80 (Steve Lewis third). Fraser-Pryce forgot to dip for the line and was pipped by Jeter in the women's 100, but won't be too fussed you'd guess. I think the Russian girl won the long jump but we didn't see enough of it to be sure, while Kanter just pipped Okoye in the discus.

Merritt was DQ for a false start in the men's hurdles, won by Richardson. In the women's, Harper set a new meet record of 12.38 to continue her fine form (Pearson not competing). That's about all I can remember off-hand...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 am

The high jump was great last night. Great jumping from Grabbarz to equal the UK record. 3 over 2.37 is very competitive. I think we have a new force to be reckoned with, in the Qatari lad. His technique is really amazing. How he's able to arch his back. Mind boggles Erm

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down